WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Lane splitting?

Boat 405

Reaction score
Since when did it become required to move over to the side of a lane to let a motorcycle lane split?

Sitting in parked traffic on the 8 freeway about ten bikes blow past and motion for me to move over. We have literally moved 1/4 mile in 15 mins.

Fuck them. Eat a dick and get fucked.

It’s a courtesy. Kinda like anything else in life. Once you demand it from someone now you’re the piece of shit.

Rant over

500bbc

Reaction score
Since when did it become required to move over to the side of a lane to let a motorcycle lane split?

Sitting in parked traffic on the 8 freeway about ten bikes blow past and motion for me to move over. We have literally moved 1/4 mile in 15 mins.

It’s a courtesy. Kinda like anything else in life. Once you demand it from someone now you’re the piece of shit.

Rant over
Were they pulling wheelies and doing stunts?

DWC

Reaction score
Sitting in traffic on the 105 one day and the loudest rice rocket ever came by revving his bike to get people to move over. Scared the shit out of me with my window down on my left side. He was laid out less than a mile ahead. No idea what happened except karma is a bitch.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I split lanes all the time on my Harley. ONLY in the carpool lane though.

I'd say 75 percent of peeps always move left. I always wave thank you at them.

Some don't cause they are completely unaware of their surroundings, and some move right just to be dicks!

Fuck em. 😉

PlanB

Reaction score
I've been riding since 65, never did the lane splitting, Some of these guys will meet their maker one day, just saying.

Been lane splitting since I got my permit at 15 (53 now). If done properly it's no more dangerous than riding centered in a lane in traffic. In heavy traffic at slow speeds, or stop and go traffic it's actually safer. It keeps you from getting hit in the rear and sandwiched between vehicles.

LC925

Reaction score
Since I started riding in 2008 I’ve always done it. If the vehicles “move over” for courtesy it’s appreciated and I give them the “thank you wave 👋 “ but it’s never expected. As a rider you learn to see ahead and see who’s not paying attention and know their move before they do. If I can’t judge their next move, I’ll sit in the middle of the lane til I can.

You also get to see which vehicle’s “purposely” close the lane and like before mentioned, still give them the thank you wave once I get around them and continue with my day.

Tank

Reaction score
Been riding for 30 years. Also did enforcement riding for many years. Don’t currently own a bike as the wife said she’d rather not raise our boys as a widow. And she has a point. With distracted driving and people all pissed off and in a hurry and never paying attention and more crowded than ever streets, it’s fuckin straight up dangerous. Plus, I kinda ride like a dick at times, too fast and whatnot. So I sold my street glide 5 years ago and haven’t bought another bike. Don’t have an itch too either unless I build from scratch a bar hopper again.

I split lanes. Work and play. Never asked anyone to move over, reved my engine or flashed lights. I figure if someone wants to move over thank you. If I can’t fit I’ll stop. I move over when driving and I see riders coming up. But then again, I’m usually the one slowing down so someone can merge or flashing my lights if a semi passes me while towing etc. basically I try to be a polite decent human being / driver.

Thing that always sketched me out while splitting and I was always on the look out for was people changing lanes in front of you. Skeeeeeeetchy! Vast majority of People drive with their heads up their asses. I just shake my head at guys splitting lanes at 40+. Not long for this world.

dribble

Reaction score
I split all the time but never over 30 mph. On one of those big ass Harley’s with bags that can barely fit. Often two up. In 50 years of riding, I’ve yet to hit anything. Sorry if I’ve scared anyone.

Last edited:

rickym20

Reaction score
I typically will move over for bikes splitting lanes as it’s no big deal. I do this in the #1 and 2 lane . Moving left or right depending on lane I am in. The ones that I don’t care for to much cause they catch me by surprise is when they split the #2 and 3 lane. Worse when they are splitting at same rate as guy splitting the 1 and 2 lane . I’ll be moving over to the right when in 2 lane to help out the typical lane splitter. Then catch a glimpse of guy splitting 2/3 lane and almost hit him. Not usually looking out for them in this lane .

Dettom

Reaction score
My rules for land splitting, which BTW, is encouraged by CHP, was simple. My cut off speed where I get back in line was 30 mph. Beyond that, I’d have a hard time justifying it to myself. Always tried to give cars plenty of courtesy, and would attempt to make eye contact with them in their driver side mirror as I’m coming up, so they know I’m there.
These douches on rice rockets blasting by at 60 + mph, always seem to be in a hurry to occupy an emergency room..

HBCraig

Reaction score
I have seen a few instances where these guys get pissed and punch a mirror knowing you cant catch up to them. Thats total bullshit

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I have seen a few instances where these guys get pissed and punch a mirror knowing you cant catch up to them. Thats total bullshit

There is a certian etiquette between us asshole lane splitters when riding in traffic. One of the unspoken rules is, if a bike is coming up behind you, riding faster than you, you move over when it's safe, to let him go by. Most guys had bigger balls then me, so I frequently let other riders pass by.

I rode from Glendora to Pasadena every day for a couple years to get to work. You see the same guys riding every day.

One day on my way home from work, one of the usual suspects comes up behind me, so I move over to let him get by. Right after he passes me, some female driver of Asian decent, crosses over the double yellow lines without looking, and cuts my fellow rider off big time! He was lucky he was on his game, and avoided being sent to meet his maker.

I'm thinkin in my head...get in front of her dude...and slow her ass down...and I'll take her fucking mirror off for you....

The dude must have heard me, cause that is Exactly what he did!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I went past her and slammed the fuck outa her mirror as i passed her. BNAG!!!!!!!!!!!

He got right behind me after I passed him. And we both went about our ride home.

The ref never sees the first punch, but he Always sees the second one eh? ;)

Last edited:

Boat 405

Reaction score
Ok so here’s the deal I really have about it. You want lane split fine no problem. Suit yourself. But forcing someone to make room for you when you have zero authority to do so, hitting mirrors, whatever. You’re just a fucking douche. If someone intentionally blocks you well so are they, but over 30 mph it’s technically their lane and can do whatever they feel like.

I rode a street bike for a number of years and never got involved in such fuckery. The car always has the upper hand. Not worth being a dipshit to lose a leg or worse.

If I had room I would of moved no problem, we were damn near parked, going maybe 2 mph, and they came up so damn fast nothing was gonna happen on short notice. The actions were 100% unnecessary, just a mob mentality of 10 or so guys on harleys thinking they are billy bad asses.

Just have some respect for others.

FlyByWire

I just work here
Reaction score
I had the pleasure of lane splitting in LA traffic daily for a living for the better part of 5 years. I’ve seen it all in that regard, both the asshole splitter and the asshole driver. [emoji23] I’ve met a few RDP’ers and had a couple rolling conversations too.

Now that I live in LHC, it drives me crazy that it’s illegal here in AZ... especially with the way people drive this time of year.

buck35

Reaction score
There is a certian etiquette between us asshole lane splitters when riding in traffic. One of the unspoken rules is, if a bike is coming up behind you, riding faster than you, you move over when it's safe, to let him go by. Most guys had bigger balls then me, so I frequently let other riders pass by.

I rode from Glendora to Pasadena every day for a couple years to get to work. You see the same guys riding every day.

One day on my way home from work, one of the usual suspects comes up behind me, so I move over to let him get by. Right after he passes me, some female driver of Asian decent, crosses over the double yellow lines without looking, and cuts my fellow rider off big time! He was lucky he was on his game, and avoided being sent to meet his maker.

I'm thinkin in my head...get in front of her dude...and slow her ass down...and I'll take her fucking mirror off for you....

The dude must have heard me, cause that is Exactly what he did!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I went past her and slammed the fuck outa her mirror as i passed her. BNAG!!!!!!!!!!!

He got right behind me after I passed him. And we both went about our ride home.

The ref never sees the first punch, but he Always sees the second one eh? ;)

Thank God they didn't used the windshield washers on you....

DLC

Reaction score
My wife saw some ass hat kick a rear door while splitting a lane.... lady in a camry was just stopped in traffic, then got her door kicked in....

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Thank God they didn't used the windshield washers on you....

Unlike some people, I LIVE for that when I'm riding in the summer!!! 😁

My wife saw some ass hat kick a rear door while splitting a lane.... lady in a camry was just stopped in traffic, then got her door kicked in....

And again, the ref never sees the first punch. ;)

Call out threads. Always a good time! 👍

stoker22405

Reaction score
The way most of these bikers ride/split lanes it comes to no surprise that there are so many bike accidents...!

spectra3279

Vaginamoney broke
Reaction score
I split lanes a few times when I was komifornia. But never going at speed. Only when traffic was stopped. And only idling in second gear. That gave me time to watch ahead and react to everyone.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

spectra3279

Vaginamoney broke
Reaction score

Rant over
I'm one of those asshole drivers. If I see you coming up and your revving the shit out of your engine, ill pull over and block you. If your just coming up and being polite , ill move over if I can. Just don't basically demand me to do it.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
I had a guy on a Harley hit my driver's side mirror and crack the glass, with his handlebars, while I'm stopping at a red light. No thank you, no fuck you, no nothing.

A few blocks later he got to see the broad side of a 4x4 crew cab dually nearly stopped across the two lane hwy. His brakes worked good, but he probably needed new shorts. Fuck him.

And to the assholes that split the slow lane, around a dually and a 102" wide trailer, fuck you.

More fucking jet ski mentality.

Dan'l

mobldj

Reaction score
i split lanes but only at slow speeds.appreciate the folks that move over and when in the car i do the same.but.................fuck your loud pipe bagger pos and full exhaust crotch rockets.dont be a penis or youll kiss asphalt !

HBCraig

Reaction score
It would take a tremendous amiunt of restraint to not dive into the shoulder and chase that fucker down

Reactions: DLC

Boat 405

Reaction score
This is one of those topics that get's hot on the motorcycle forum I post on. It's mostly California riders against the rest of the country. 😀

So basically common sense and reason against idiots in CA. Sounds true like everything else that has a fucked up sense of reality for those living in this crazy state.

PlanB

Reaction score
So basically common sense and reason against idiots in CA. Sounds true like everything else that has a fucked up sense of reality for those living in this crazy state.

Nope. People that have never done it before, because their states does not allow it, so their opinion on the topic is not an educated one.

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
I split lanes. Work and play. Never asked anyone to move over, reved my engine or flashed lights. I figure if someone wants to move over thank you. If I can’t fit I’ll stop. I move over when driving and I see riders coming up. But then again, I’m usually the one slowing down so someone can merge or flashing my lights if a semi passes me while towing etc. basically I try to be a polite decent human being / driver.

Thing that always sketched me out while splitting and I was always on the look out for was people changing lanes in front of you. Skeeeeeeetchy! Vast majority of People drive with their heads up their asses. I just shake my head at guys splitting lanes at 40+. Not long for this world.

Same here. At low speeds I split, above about 25 to 30 I stop splitting even if I am almost riding the line. I never expect people to move, great if they do though.

TimeBandit

Reaction score
We have a new breed of sportbike riders now. These are not the canyon seeking "cafe" racers of yesteryear, these are angry LAM's who think the roads are a stage to perform on, and the entitlement they were raised with continues to the screaming demands from the exhaust to clear the way.

I ride, I split lanes when appropriate, I have stock mufflers and no need to be an asshole about it, ever.

DLC

Reaction score
In our group there was a guy named Jack, he lived in Escondido, but kinda lived on the edge so to speak. He was headed north on the 15 doing a wheeling around 80-90 mph, he dropped the wheelie and bumped over 2 lanes to take an exit and lost it....

his 2 year old lost his dad that day...... really stupid and irresponsible actions... to be young and not growing old really sucks

QUOTE="TimeBandit, post: 3932221, member: 24240"]
We have a new breed of sportbike riders now. These are not the canyon seeking "cafe" racers of yesteryear, these are angry LAM's who think the roads are a stage to perform on, and the entitlement they were raised with continues to the screaming demands from the exhaust to clear the way.

Lavey5150

Just one more
Reaction score
If you are checking your mirrors (ALL OF THEM) all the time like you should be, in traffic or other you would see the bikes coming. And FUCK YOU all on your phone. I ride every day, have been for a Looooong fucking time. Lane Splitting is not for everyone I agree. But get off your phone asshole.PERIOD, you are going to kill someone.

3.Slow

Reaction score
I split lanes down the 10 on my way to and from work, I do not expect people to move over, nor do I when I'm driving my car. It drives me crazy listening to people rev the engine like the cars owe it to them to move over. No reason any car should deviate from there lane or make and unsafe maneuver to let a bike through, I will pass when it is safe to do so, otherwise, I will wait like the rest of the people on the road.

Boat 405

Reaction score
If you are checking your mirrors (ALL OF THEM) all the time like you should be, in traffic or other you would see the bikes coming. And FUCK YOU all on your phone. I ride every day, have been for a Looooong fucking time. Lane Splitting is not for everyone I agree. But get off your phone asshole.PERIOD, you are going to kill someone.

We are still talking about lane splitting legally here right? Under 30 mph and not more than 10 mph faster than the flow of traffic?

Just checking

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
they try to lane split when im in my dually. its annoying as hell. usually the sport bikes are the ones that casually wait until the car next to me is either behind or in front... its the idiot chap wearing harley morons with their fat wives that sit behind me and rev their "loud pipes save lives" bs bicycles as if I owe it to them to move over in the 2" extra I have between the lanes to let them pass.

Lavey5150

Just one more
Reaction score
We are still talking about lane splitting legally here right? Under 30 mph and not more than 10 mph faster than the flow of traffic?

Just checking

Lane Splitting is LEGAL, for now in Commifornia. I'm not the dumfuck rider mobbbing the center @ 90 MPH.I use extreme caution and common sense. Get off your phones.
PS-I dont ride a Harley and never will.Those guys never wave😂 and they're slow AF