WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Larry Dixon on Cusp of Return to NHRA Top Fuel

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
Dixon recently regained his NHRA Top Fuel license and is hopeful of returning to the Mello Yello Drag Racing Series sooner rather than later. A suspension by NHRA has been lifted, though his April 2019 lawsuit against the sanctioning body that’s tied to that suspension is still working its way through the courts.

“There was a team that was inquiring about my availability and then an actual sponsor,” Dixon said, “and they were both basically wondering about my status with the NHRA and stuff. I said that I could get my license back any time, I just hadn't because there hadn't been any interest. I had both of them say, 'Why don't you see if you can actually get your license?' So I filled out the app and turned in all the forms and got licensed.

“It's basically a crossover (license) because I've kept my IHRA license through everything, so it was just a matter of filling out an application and turning in time slips from the past year. I didn't have to make any runs or do anything like that.”

Looking Glass

1 = Well = Known = Member
Reaction score
Dixon recently regained his NHRA Top Fuel license and is hopeful of returning to the Mello Yello Drag Racing Series sooner rather than later. A suspension by NHRA has been lifted, though his April 2019 lawsuit against the sanctioning body that’s tied to that suspension is still working its way through the courts.

“There was a team that was inquiring about my availability and then an actual sponsor,” Dixon said, “and they were both basically wondering about my status with the NHRA and stuff. I said that I could get my license back any time, I just hadn't because there hadn't been any interest. I had both of them say, 'Why don't you see if you can actually get your license?' So I filled out the app and turned in all the forms and got licensed.

“It's basically a crossover (license) because I've kept my IHRA license through everything, so it was just a matter of filling out an application and turning in time slips from the past year. I didn't have to make any runs or do anything like that.”

I met him once and from that brief time with him he treated me and every other Fan that approached him with the most sincere respect and appreciation to ask him questions and pictures. One of the Good Guys and an Asset for this sport that can use all the help it can get.

oldschool

Reaction score
I saw him wad it up at Famoso, back when they did the Warm ups there, I think it was 1995. The car was junk, they put a new car together and won Pomona.

Mcob25rg

Reaction score
I’m afraid this is the end of the NHRA, and it’s by far my favorite sport/tv show, so it will make me change big time. I kinda saw it about 1-2 years ago when they started having trouble filling all 3 pro classes at all the races. When you take away the fans, Coke has to say what are we getting?

DLow

Single Barrel Dweller
Reaction score
NHRA can’t seem to get out of their own way. Sad. I’m wondering if IHRA is going to step up and fill the gap when NHRA self-implodes next year mid season.

4Waters

Reaction score
NHRA can’t seem to get out of their own way. Sad. I’m wondering if IHRA is going to step up and fill the gap when NHRA self-implodes next year mid season.
Isn't Mike Dunn president of IHRA?

Moneypit

Ol' school kid..........
Reaction score
I would have liked to be a fly on the wall when "Big Jim Dunn" decided Mike was OUT... I always wondered what happened.... I also have a "Miller Lite" dragster beer sign for Larry to sign...
But yeah, NHRA is done as we have known it...
Ray
EDIT: I mixed up Larry and Mike....Both good guys.

Last edited:

parker guy

Reaction score
Well let’s hope they pull it together and figure it out....I think the sport needs to make some changes for sure...its just to damm expensive for these T/F /Funny cars...

pixrthis

Reaction score
I’m surprised the racers are surprised that the purses are being cut, where do they think the money is coming from? Looks like Dixon will be welcomed back in as other teams choose to sit out. Hopefully things get back to normal and they can find another NHRA title sponsor, my guess it will end up being a hell of a deal for some company.

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
...Met Larry Dixon Dixon Jr when he was a teenager...He hung out with the son of a friend whose house we used as a second office when we were making movies for TV out of CBS Studio Center...Was no different then than he is now ultra kind ultra polite...One day I told him I used to race with and pit near your dad at San Fernando dragstrip when your father was driving Bevs Steak House AA/FR His reply was seems like everybody used to race with my dad...