WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Last Day of School & Summer camps

Deckin Around

Reaction score
Dammit the kids are on the loose for the summer as of this afternoon.
A swift kick to the nuts as I see we just paid over $5k for 4 weeks of non educational summer day camps to keep us sane. It seems every full day camp is $100 per day per kid at the minimum.
I’m keeping a spreadsheet so if either one of my kids ever becomes rich I can send them an itemized bill for their childhood.
Happy Summer🙂

Taboma

Reaction score
Dammit the kids are on the loose for the summer as of this afternoon.
A swift kick to the nuts as I see we just paid over $5k for 4 weeks of non educational summer day camps to keep us sane. It seems every full day camp is $100 per day per kid at the minimum.
I’m keeping a spreadsheet so if either one of my kids ever becomes rich I can send them an itemized bill for their childhood.
Happy Summer🙂
Crazy when you consider I, like all of those in my 50's Orange County neighborhood, spent our entire childhoods having never attended any summer camps. I was in scouting, but those campouts were for a day or three, not weeks.

I will admit that on more than one occasion dad threatened to ship my incorrigible ass off to the Lake Elsinore Military Academy, but I knew he was way to cheap to ever cough up that dough. 🤣 He'd more than likely just kill me and bury me in the yard. :oops:😂

Almost seems like ---- well, using words like "Keep us Sane", it might be construed as for YOUR benefit as much if not more so than the kids. 😁

COCA COLA COWBOY

Reaction score
Today is my son's last day of school, but we are actually looking forward to it. Taking a mini vacation next week at one of those cheap time share deals in Vegas called Tahiti Village where we have to attend a 90 minute meeting hung over and they will try to take my money and get me into a contract, but we get treated like kings for the other four days. Planning on mostly having my son do math sheets, reading, go to the gym with us each day, and taking him to the motocross track 2 days a week. My saving grace is my wife doesn't work and we live 15 minutes from the beach.

lbhsbz

Reaction score
My kid isn't outta school until the 15th, then he goes back sometime in August. Sucks because it's only like 2 months of summer, used to be about 3 if I remember right. We'd like to get 4 or 5 river trips in this year, which in 8 weekends will be a good trick, and seeing as how we like to do 4 or 5 days at a time, that makes the summer camps kind of a bust because he'll be there for 2 or 3 days out of the 5 days I'll pay for.

Deckin Around

Reaction score
Almost seems like ---- well, using words like "Keep us Sane", it might be construed as for YOUR benefit as much if not more so than the kids. 😁

You’re right it 100% is and that’s just for 4/10 weeks.
Normally I’m running a business primarily from home and with my wife back to school for her masters full time and doing clinic therapy internships, it would be less fun for both parents and kids without those camps every few weeks throughout the summer.
Our summer agreement with the kids is that they will get 7 hours of screen time a week to manage (ipad, laptop, TV, video games). I’m not a fan of using screens as baby sitters so they’ll actually have to find stuff to keep occupied.

Today is my son's last day of school, but we are actually looking forward to it. Taking a mini vacation next week at one of those cheap time share deals in Vegas called Tahiti Village where we have to attend a 90 minute meeting hung over and they will try to take my money and get me into a contract, but we get treated like kings for the other four days. Planning on mostly having my son do math sheets, reading, go to the gym with us each day, and taking him to the motocross track 2 days a week. My saving grace is my wife doesn't work and we live 15 minutes from the beach.
I am definitely looking forward to all of our family trips to the river and others. We are taking a cruise with a few friends and families Royal Caribbean out of Florida.

My kids just turned 10/ 8 so I don’t set them free to roam the city quite yet.
We got wild Rivers waterpark passes for the kids as birthday presents and the grandparents get in free so we plan to get our moneys worth.

Last edited:

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
Last day here for the kid also. We have him in summer camps most of the summer also because both the wife and I work. Someone has to be aware of him...... Camps up here in the Sacramento area are around $200-300 a week. I'm too cheap to spring for $100 a day......

dread Pirate

Reaction score
Last day here for the kid also. We have him in summer camps most of the summer also because both the wife and I work. Someone has to be aware of him...... Camps up here in the Sacramento area are around $200-300 a week. I'm too cheap to spring for $100 a day......

Camp Woodward at Donner Pass is always a good option. Can't remember what it costs, but it wasn't too out of hand if the kids makes use of it.

Deckin Around

Reaction score
they are signed up for a few in that price range but they are not all day .
Our city run camps (1 week) they are signed up for like a “ninja parkour class” is only from 9:30 AM to 1230. “Minecraft lego camp” is MWF 9-3, “her camp” is 9-noon.

Taboma

Reaction score
100% is and that’s just for 4/10 weeks. Compared to normal days of me running a business primarily from home and wife back to school for her masters full time and doing clinic work for speech and language therapy, it would be less fun for both parents and kids without those camps throughout the summer. One of us will still have to burn at least an hour in the morning and again in the evening for drop off and pick up to a beach camp for example.
Our Summer agreement is the kids will now get 7 hours of screen time a week (ipad, laptop, TV, video games). During School they aren’t allowed to do anything non-educational on screens during the week and only had three hours on weekends to use. Unlike a lot of parents we know, we don’t use those as baby sitters.

I am definitely looking forward to all of our family trips to the river and others. We are taking “ The largest cruise ship currently in the world“ with a few friends and families Royal Caribbean out of Florida to Honduras, Bahamas etc.

My kids just turned 10/ 8 so I don’t set them free to roam the city quite yet.
We got wild Rivers waterpark passes for the whole family and grandparents get in free so we plan to get our moneys worth. We are just a few minutes away from there and I’m fine dropping my son and his friends off just like I was 30 years ago at the old wild Rivers park.
I certainly understand that times have changed and stay at home mom's are extremely rare, just as the entire environment for our youth is entirely different. Seriously, I do get it.

Wedgy

Reaction score
All we did as Kid's, and survived, our parents no clue where we were all day, lol. Looking over the edge of Eagle Rock, playing in train yards, Flood control water sldes, swimming/ diving at Three Falls, lol, the list is long.

2Driver

Reaction score
All we did as Kid's, and survived, our parents no clue where we were all day, lol. Looking over the edge of Eagle Rock, playing in train yards, Flood control water sldes, swimming/ diving at Three Falls, lol, the list is long.

Yep, everyday in summer…” going over Johnny’s and Matts house mom then we’re going somewhere on our bikes, be home for dinner”. No phone, no elctroytes, no camelback, no spf, no helmet, LOL most of the time no shoes….

gqchris

Reaction score
I feel pretty blessed that my wife stays at home with my girls. We used to send the older to summer activities and “camps” , but now that she is in high school, she gets to help Momma out during the day with her little sis.