WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Last Day on Powell

2Driver

Reaction score
ill post more pics later just heading back in now. Except for 2 big short storms a flawless vacation.
70E53340-7414-46F3-BC98-7E6094FEE549.jpeg
F60FF8F4-5C7B-4DBC-8658-F492462B899E.jpeg

spark2678

Reaction score
How was the water temp? Looks like it is rising 1'/day approx. We are heading there July 4th week!

2Driver

Reaction score
Our favorite...........you have cell service or are you out in the middle of the lake?

I’m home now. ATT sucks on Powell. We were pretty much off the grid 4 miles past the Castle cut

2Driver

Reaction score
How was the water temp? Looks like it is rising 1'/day approx. We are heading there July 4th week!

Water was cool, I think 70. Kind of like Parker in late May. Only used the shorty wetsuit for snorkeling one day. We snorkeled n underwater arch. Creepy.

We had to resecure the houseboat twice a day. It came up 8’ vertically while we were there for the week. There was a fire ring 35’ up the beach when we got there
that was in the water when we left. It came up the steep beach we were on 3’ over night.

I’ll post more, just got home

That’s my wife in middle right of the picture. Everything is so much larger than it looks initially
CA25104E-FB01-4EB4-A3C7-FE79F065EC91.jpeg
16F3F524-4287-4697-8F6D-6F35BCC47ADC.jpeg

DUNEFLYER

The original DUNEFLYER of RDP 😁
Reaction score
Camped at exact same spot a few times. Supposed to go 7/18-7/26, not sure if that is gonna happen or not...

DaveH

Reaction score
I’m home now. ATT sucks on Powell. We were pretty much off the grid 4 miles past the Castle cut
its pretty much all cellular no mans land on that lake. and understandable given the naroow canyons and lack of utilities.

the best advice for anyone using a cell phone at lake powell…...if you have line of site to the summit of Navajo mtn then you should have service as there is radio gear up there but you must have line of site.

2Driver

Reaction score
So here is a list of carnage for the week that came over channel 16 Marine band and one from folks across the canyon

• Houseboat adrift engines wont start heading for the rocks. NPS: "Try hailing the Marina its not considered an emergency". Never heard the marina answer, last transmission they were about to hit.

• Collision into what seemed like a boat/jetski being towed behind house boat. minor injuries

• Last nights big storm: Vessel in distress caught in narrows.. Boat on the rocks Parents and kids going in the water.

• Also during storm, guy had his finger amputated. I'm guessing from boat crush or rope bite.

• 65' House boat across the way in 40 MPH winds broke free, turned 90 degrees and pretzeled the aluminum beach boarding ramp so it was hanging off the bow at a 45. Somehow they turned bow out in the wind and spent an hour trying to get the trashed bow ramp out. Everything in camp was flying including 2 extra large lilliy pads attached to the boat. quite a scene.

2Driver

Reaction score
its pretty much all cellular no mans land on that lake. and understandable given the naroow canyons and lack of utilities.

the best advice for anyone using a cell phone at lake powell…...if you have line of site to the summit of Navajo mtn then you should have service as there is radio gear up there but you must have line of site.

Hands down best thing we did was take a handheld Marine Band radio for the jet skis ( houseboat already had a base unit) . If you are back 4 miles in a canyon on the skis and need help you are screwed. Great for houseboat to ski communication.

JD D05

Reaction score

I have been right below it with nothing but I have a Sat phone. There was a guy with us last trip that had a cell booster thingy and he phone worked perfect with it.