WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Last minute project

9er

Reaction score
So I brought my boat home from river storage about a week ago. Just to change the oil and buff it out.
Then I saw how bad the original carpet was looking so decided to change it out. Well, now the carpets out, I may as well pull the motor and do a little extra maintenance. And since the motor is out, I may as well repaint the bilge. And since all the interior is out, may as well do a little stereo work. Heck, since I'm ordering carpet anyway, may as well re-bunk it.

Anything I'm missing? We're leaving in a couple weeks.............

DSC06407.jpg

Thankfully the subfloor looks really good.
DSC06410.jpg

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
You went from changing the oil to that? :D

Shiat!! I thought I had it bad! :D

RD

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Yep, that looks like a normal oil change to me!
My last oil change took 9 months. Good work, I like way you think.
BUT, since the motor will be out, shouldn't you go ahead and flip it? I am sure you can find some work on the bottom.
Tommy

Just my $.02

cave

Reaction score
You went from changing the oil to that? :D

Shiat!! I thought I had it bad! :D

RD

I wish I was this bad. I've been trying to change the carpet since mid February. but all that gets in the way of my boating adventures.

9er

Reaction score
Yep, that looks like a normal oil change to me!
My last oil change took 9 months. Good work, I like way you think.
BUT, since the motor will be out, shouldn't you go ahead and flip it? I am sure you can find some work on the bottom.
Tommy

Just my $.02

Oh yeah, the bottom. I knew I was forgetting something.
Since you brought it up, looks like you've got a little work ahead of you. :D

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Oh yeah, the bottom. I knew I was forgetting something.
Since you brought it up, looks like you've got a little work ahead of you. :D

Hey now, I have my own issues!! :smackhead

Tommy

9er

Reaction score
So, I've made a little progress. Slow progress.
Got the carpet installed and it's plush. Spent last nite installing some speakers. The amp ins't totally done with the mounting but close.
Motor should go back together tonight-ish and back in the boat over the weekend.

DSC06430.jpg

DSC06429.jpg

9er

Reaction score
So we dropped the motor back in today. I should be able to make some real progress this weekend and be ready for Fathers Day.

DSC06435.jpg

Factory502

Reaction score
WHere did you get the carpet from??? Was it a pain to do yourself??

9er

Reaction score
WHere did you get the carpet from??? Was it a pain to do yourself??

Got it from Geisens Upholstery in Laguna Hills. 949.581.4530
They're right next door to my shop.
They installed it and cut me a break for removing the upholstery and stripping out the old carpet. Nobody likes prep-work.

The stuff I ordered was about 10 oz. heavier than what was in there. Really plush.....

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Looking GREAT!!!

As far as the carpet.. is there a difference between normal carpet and marine carpet?

RD

9er

Reaction score
Looking GREAT!!!

As far as the carpet.. is there a difference between normal carpet and marine carpet?

RD

That's an excellent question. One I have no answer for.
All I can guess is maybe it has some extra UV protection and whatever goo binds it together doesn't break down with water exposure?

Maybe it's like marine audio, all marine carpet is white!?!?!

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
That's an excellent question. One I have no answer for.
All I can guess is maybe it has some extra UV protection and whatever goo binds it together doesn't break down with water exposure?

Maybe it's like marine audio, all marine carpet is white!?!?!

LMAO... :D

I dunno?
I was thinking all marine carpet is grey... and back in the 70's it was all astro turf. ;)
RD

Factory502

Reaction score
the boat looks really bitchen 9er- I am getting ready to put new carpet in my boat and am trying to get any inside lines on do's and don'ts-
I have heard the same thing about the carpet, having more UV resistance and is more durability- maybe????

9er

Reaction score
the boat looks really bitchen 9er- I am getting ready to put new carpet in my boat and am trying to get any inside lines on do's and don'ts-
I have heard the same thing about the carpet, having more UV resistance and is more durability- maybe????

Do's and dont's-

Have a pro do it, you'll thank yourself later. But if you can offset the cost by prepping it yourself, it helps.

If you have a sub-floor, check it out really well, give it a quick sand and resin coat if it's cracking anywhere, or glass if need be.

Check out your bulkhead. I needed to do a little glasswork on some spots that looked like they may be a problem later. And also added some material where I mounted my subs.

Save your old carpet and measure where everything was. The hardest part for me was re-installing gas pedal, diverter, seats, etc. Luckily I was able to use the old carpet as a template to find the old holes with an awl and it was still a pain. But if you want to move anything, be sure to seal them up.

And another nice thing is to check the short filler hose between tanks and fill cap. There's no better time to replace that line.

Lastly, if you don't already have two batteries, it's a good time to figure it out and add any extra plywood, fiberglass and mounting points.

Your boat looks alot like mine so you may relate to alot of this.......

azlaw

Reaction score
I see that you have your subs mounted in the bulk-head of your boat. Did you just cut the holes and stick them in or did you do any renfocement and seal it. How does it sound and what size subs are they? I have two 12's under the bow in a box, but no room for other stuff.

9er

Reaction score
The holes were cut when I bought the boat. I just cleaned them up and added a little fiberglass here and there.
The subs are 10's and they are thru bolted by putting my hand thru the 6x9 hole.
The bow is split into three chambers front-to-back so it's somewhat sealed. The center compartment holds the amp and PFD's. It's plenty loud and sounds great. I also have two 6x9's back by the motor.