WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Last night of lobster season

Bails

Reaction score
Spent my saint paddies day doing something different from drinking to many beers. It was the last night of lobster season in California. I used to scuba dive for them, but haven't done much of that over the last 5 years. This year a couple buddies got me into hoopnetting. I really got into it in January as my family got a new ocean boat. Grady White, 307 Freedom. twin yamaha 300s.
Over the last couple of months I've been dialing in my gear, spots, bait, and the best times to go. Over the last couple of weeks it started to come together, with me catching more. Well last night my brother and I limited out with 7 each. we pulled our 10 traps two times each and we home in bed before midnight.
IMG_0731.jpg

OLDRAAT

inadequate member
Reaction score
Good lord, toss one to me.:)
Looks like a great time, enjoy your new ride.👍

jeteater1

Jet boats suck
Reaction score
One of these days I'm going to do that. I have done shrimp and crab pots up in Washington.

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
Got Butter? Nice haul.... 10 traps eh. Thats plenty I should think. Congrats on the hoopnetting find. That night diving is too freaky for me

LowRiver2

Reaction score
Four of us caught 7, kept 4 off catalina a month ago.
They sure look bigger till you pull the measuring bar out, lol.
Good times

Machally

Reaction score
Been hoop netting in SD for years. Averaging almost a lobster a pull is a pretty solid average, nice work. This season seems to have been on the slower side compared to previous seasons. It used to be rare that we didn’t get limits now it seems we avg around 5 ea. And that’s after 5 sets or so.

Attachments

• 346D9F94-3871-4EA4-9078-907A8237E722.jpeg
    346D9F94-3871-4EA4-9078-907A8237E722.jpeg
    294.8 KB · Views: 85

HitIt

Reaction score
got a new ocean boat. Grady White, 307 Freedom. twin yamaha 300s.

Congrats on the GW. So many opportunities with that one. I wish you and your family the best of times. Our local islands are treasure that not too many Californians get to enjoy. I am very jealous.

For those that haven't seen one, you can be jealous, too:

lbhsbz

Reaction score
The guy who bought my house dives for 'em. He brought me a couple big ones a month ago and I almost got the first bite down. I guess he found 'em near the oil islands in long beach. ... that explained why they tasted like shit. No more harbor lobsters for me.

Bails

Reaction score
Got Butter? Nice haul.... 10 traps eh. Thats plenty I should think. Congrats on the hoopnetting find. That night diving is too freaky for me
15 years ago I had a group that would dive 2 or 3 nights a week and slay it. So unlike other hoop netters I actually know where the lobster are, since I have seen them in there homes. When I started this year I thought it would be easy. I was wrong, when I started I saw many trips with no lobster. I almost stated to keep the spider crabs. 😁 when hooping the bugs need to be crawling and looking for food. When diving you go into there homes and lobster nap them. I stoked that as the season went on I got better. Better equipment, better timing, and better spots.

Bails

Reaction score
The guy who bought my house dives for 'em. He brought me a couple big ones a month ago and I almost got the first bite down. I guess he found 'em near the oil islands in long beach. ... that explained why they tasted like shit. No more harbor lobsters for me.
I hit the harbor a few times. The story I got was it was an off year. It would be nice to find a couple good spots in there to save on the fuel.

Years ago I caught a lobster off of island White. It has what appeared to be white fur and was moving really slow. I didn't keep that one.😱

Maw

Dont re Member
Reaction score
Got spoiled years ago running out to San Nicolas Island. I don't think we ever brought up a shorty and most bugs were in the 2-3lb range Even Catalina sucks after that.