WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Latest Qualified Captain Video….. short but good!

C-Ya

Int’l Maritime Captain
Reaction score
I am surprised no one was hurt in this one. On QC they are saying his shirt got stuck around throttle.

TomD

Breathing Member
Reaction score
Kind of like skipping a stone.

Taboma

Reaction score
Video is sped up quite a bit. You can really tell from how quickly the right boat is rocking after the crash.

Yes the rocking boat, plus look at the guy run back and forth behind the crashed boat -- he's hauling ass 🤣

Taboma

Reaction score
To ptevent such accidents in the future it should be mandatory both men and women drive shirtless. 😁😇

Various years of those beautiful Chris Crafts many members gush over had a throttle handle in the middle of the large steering wheel.
You had to be very careful if wearing a long sleeve shirt or jacket, not to catch the cuff on the throttle handle.

First weekend dipping the old Chris after a winter my dad and I had spent re-finishing her. I was maybe 11 YO at the time.

Dad had launched Mom in the Chris off the beach (This is how we did it back in the day), and now mom was pulling it carefully into the slip.

It was May at Lake Arrowhead and COLD. Mom's wearing a light jacket with a button cuff.

As she's slowly nosing it ahead, being so very very careful, me standing by to secure the lines, she turns the wheel to Starboard, perfectly catching the slot of her cuff on the throttle handle. :oops: Throttle rotates, boat immediately launches forward, and CRACK goes the starboard bow plank as the boat fights to remove the right dock finger. 🤯 Of course now the Chris is trying to go over the dock, things got really hectic for a bit, but she was able to dislodge her cuff and get it under control.
To late, damage done, feelings shattered, dad having parked arrives, harsh words exchanged, plank shattered --- in seconds, everything went to shit.
Needless to say, boat back on the trailer, and I believe that might have been the quietist week following I'd ever experienced as we worked to pull and replace that plank. The really hard part is getting the stain to match after years of it being refinished.

Hard to explain the relationship my father had with his Chris Crafts, everything he did with those boats was a labor of love, of course being the kid boat slave, I got the shitty work. 😖

In a way, I life was a lot easier once Dad finally decided he'd had enough wood and we switched to fiberglass. Certainly one hell of a lot less work each winter. 👍👍👍

Mom never drove that boat or any boat I recall again.

Here's what ours looked like, there's other styles that CC used, some much larger and more fancy.

CC Throttle.JPG

Last edited: