WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Lath and Plaster

wishiknew

Reaction score
Lath and Plaster looking for square foot price for budget # 4000 sq foot 2 story home mohave valley az

NicPaus

Reaction score
Hopefully he means stucco

Yep and they price that in yards not sq ft. I have never seen anyone use lathe and plaster in my days. Removed a lot of it though.

DC-88

Reaction score
Lath and Plaster looking for square foot price for budget # 4000 sq foot 2 story home mohave valley az

Assuming your'e talking stucco - I'd start with Anthony Gonzalez GWS 928-768-3775 who did mine with steel trowel finish and they are capable of doing nice work . Very little in the way of 3 coat exterior plaster out there, 99% are EIFS type systems which seem OK for out in the dez but I don't like for rainy climates. As with all "stucco" price per square yard depends mainly on the type of finish, but also on lineal footage of crown,cove, and trim details. On a 2 story I'd wrap it first in something other than the 20 min paper they do out there.

wishiknew

Reaction score
Looking for Spanish style smooth finish simple smooth finish 40 X 50 building . Lath and stucco

wishiknew

Reaction score
Price to lath and stucco2 story house seperate is ok just need budget numbers

82daytona

Reaction score
Assuming your'e talking stucco - I'd start with Anthony Gonzalez GWS 928-768-3775 who did mine with steel trowel finish and they are capable of doing nice work . Very little in the way of 3 coat exterior plaster out there, 99% are EIFS type systems which seem OK for out in the dez but I don't like for rainy climates. As with all "stucco" price per square yard depends mainly on the type of finish, but also on lineal footage of crown,cove, and trim details. On a 2 story I'd wrap it first in something other than the 20 min paper they do out there.

Another vote foe GWS

plaster dave

Face down A$$ up
Reaction score
Yep and they price that in yards not sq ft. I have never seen anyone use lathe and plaster in my days. Removed a lot of it though.
I'm doing the whole interior of a 8k sq ft house in Hollywood hills right now.
Looking for Spanish style smooth finish simple smooth finish 40 X 50 building . Lath and stucco
How tall are the walls? Is there a gable end on these walls?
Does the Soffit get stucco?
Am I setting the scaffolding or are you providing it?
Owner providing a dumpster or and I hauling away the trash?
40x?x2=
50x?x2=
$40.00 sq/yd.
Starting price for lath, scratch, brown & smooth trowel finish is $50.00 a sq yard.
Mesh over the brown coat to reduce the cracking is $18.00 a sq yard on top of the $50.00.
I won't do smooth without the mesh coat unless the customer signs a release of liability not holding us responsible for the cracks.

Deckin Around

Reaction score
Mesh over the brown coat to reduce the cracking is $18.00 a sq yard on top of the $50.00.
I won't do smooth without the mesh coat unless the customer signs a release of liability not holding us responsible for the cracks.

My Stucco guys say the only guarantee with smooth stucco cracking is that it is guaranteed to crack.

NicPaus

Reaction score

Just a smooth finish or a Venetian style finish. Owner choose to go that route? Imagine it must be 3 times the price as drywall.

plaster dave

Face down A$$ up
Reaction score

Just a smooth finish or a Venetian style finish. Owner choose to go that route? Imagine it must be 3 times the price as drywall.

Old style finish in the brown coat with cat faces.
Drywaller is installed all the blue board and is doing a level 4 smooth in all the closets and I'm doing everything else. I'm installing metal lath corners so they are fatter or irregular like old plaster.
Money isn't a factor for these people.

wishiknew

Reaction score
This is the outside lath and plaster nothing on the inside

wishiknew

Reaction score
I have been on many jobs where the plaster wanted to use eisenwall and it was to expensive ???????

plaster dave

Face down A$$ up
Reaction score
I have been on many jobs where the plaster wanted to use eisenwall and it was to expensive ???????

Ya that's really for patches or small additions where we can do all 3 coats in a day and get no extra cracking. Some job spec it out for the whole project but imo it's a waste if you use mesh over the brown coat.

wishiknew

Reaction score
Ya that's really for patches or small additions where we can do all 3 coats in a day and get no extra cracking. Some job spec it out for the whole project but imo it's a waste if you use mesh over the brown coat.

Thanks for the information Dave 👍👍👍👍👍

plaster dave

Face down A$$ up
Reaction score
Plaster Dave, you ever use or try Eisenwall? I had my plasterer do some steel trowel over that and it cracked less. Mesh does seem to be the ticket though regardless. I also just did one with the newest smooth synthetic which actually looked the most similar to steel trowel that I've seen to date. Interior wise it's uncommon but I've built a few things with blue board and plaster, string line the crown , other trim, and baseboard first and then mud to it. Those are the long dollar clients though.... I have one coming up where tight lathing is gonna be critical and we're thinking of trying the Henry Blueskin VP 100 as the base layer and paper over but still researching that as well. I can't wait to be done but it seems there's always more to learn with the exterior stuff-

Yes eisenwall cracks less because it doesn't have any lime in it.
The biggest reason it's hasn't taken over plastic cement is price.
Regular cement is around $8.00 each and eisenwall is $29.00-38.00 each depending where you buy it at.
My last project it was gonna be 8k upcharge to use eisenwall. They decided to just do a mesh coat instead.