WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Launch and load-who has to do the walking?

236eagledave

Reaction score
How do you guys handle the launching and loading duties? For us the wife is in the boat and I'm doing the walking. Just doesn't seem right to send a woman hoofin' it after the truck and trailer. Plus back in the early days it was much easier to teach her to load the boat than back the trailer. Especially when we used to have a camper on the truck. There are some places where I wish I could get out of the walk though. Callville Bay on Lake Mead is a trek. Katherine's seems pretty far some days as well.

Callville Bay:
Lake_Mead_Callville_Bay_Marina_1.jpg

Advantage 1

Reaction score
Been teaching the wife truck back-up duties... she does okay and takes her time. For the most part, I do both.

bilz

Newly Retired!😁
Reaction score
Wife handles the boat, I do the trailer. Been working great for years.

DLow

Single Barrel Dweller
Reaction score
Wife handles the truck/trailer. Usually ends up helping someone out on the launch ramp that can't get their shit together. Keep the traffic flowing, people.

shintoooo

I'm Blessed
Reaction score
Wife handles the truck/trailer. Usually ends up helping someone out on the launch ramp that can't get their shit together. Keep the traffic flowing, people.

+1

riverbrian

Chloe's Dad
Reaction score
Wife does the boat, I can't trailer it any better than she can!

Keeps the peace!

crzy2bealive

Reaction score
I do both...walk to the truck, back down the ramp, run to the boat, while she walks to the trailer , she makes sure the boat stays straight on the trailer while I pull it up a couple feet, then she jumps in the boat and off we go

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Wife does the truck (she prefers it, but can do either) and I usually deal with the boat.

RD

Eggbeatn ur Ass

Reaction score

+2. One of the first times she went out on the lake with me I knew she was a keeper when she said "don't worry I'll get the truck and trailer":boobeyes:

DaytonaBabe

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I do the boat, Mr.DB handles the truck and trailer, although I can do both, if needed.

236eagledave

Reaction score

Wife does the truck (she prefers it, but can do either) and I usually deal with the boat.

RD

+2. One of the first times she went out on the lake with me I knew she was a keeper when she said "don't worry I'll get the truck and trailer":boobeyes:

I do the boat, Mr.DB handles the truck and trailer, although I can do both, if needed.

Nice to see there are so many women who can handle either job. That's awesome!

Hugh Jascaulk

Reaction score
Wife learned long ago it was easier to drive the boat onto the trailer, than walk thru a 100 degree parking lot and fetch the truck. She usually has the entire interior of the boat wiped down by the time I arrive at the ramp.[emoji3]

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Wife learned long ago it was easier to drive the boat onto the trailer, than walk thru a 100 degree parking lot and fetch the truck. She usually has the entire interior of the boat wiped down by the time I arrive at the ramp.[emoji3]

When my kids get older maybe... LOL Right now they are too busy destroying my interior to bother help cleaning it.

RD

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
some wifes or husbands should not do either....

we get off the water early...fuc'n bumper cars in the parking lots...and they never never never stop and leave a note....or go to the ranger shack...

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
some wifes or husbands should not do either....

we get off the water early...fuc'n bumper cars in the parking lots...and they never never never stop and leave a note....or go to the ranger shack...

Truth! :D

RD

BUDMAN

HAVASU BOUND
Reaction score
Wife handles truck and trailer duties. I handle the boat. Works well for us.

LHC Kirby

LifeTime Member
Reaction score
Wife drives the truck, doesn't like it when the ramp is busy..... But does a good job.... 18 years and no mishaps!

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
We always get on the water early to avoid the crowds and I launch the boat and my wife holds it while I go park the truck. When we return she also holds the boat while I go get teh truck. We both assist with walking the boat on the trailer.

Luvnlife

Head Ram Rod
Reaction score
I do the truck. Wife puts the boat on the trailer like a boss[emoji571]

28Eliminator

Reaction score
Wife does the Truck/Trailer, always has. I haven't backed the trailer in in years.

cojetter

Reaction score
With our jet boat, wife does the boat, but last year we bought a 25' deck boat and she wants nothing to do with that. So she is attempting to learn the backing down part..... when it isnt busy and i can guide here with with radios she doest do to bad.

charlyox

Reaction score
The wife does the truck duties. She has never driven my boat. I have tried to get her to but she doesn't want to. Oh well.

YoPengo

Inmate #47
Reaction score
I do 99%. My wife will drive the truck forward. So basically she will park the truck and trailer after I launch.

Singleton

Reaction score
I do 99%. My wife will drive the truck forward. So basically she will park the truck and trailer after I launch.

Same program in my family. We always launch at the Nautical, so wife will park truck and trailer after we launch. Then on retrieval she will hold the boat in the water and I get trailer. After we switch I will put boat on trailer she will drive to flat ground.

My wife grew up on a farm and knows how to work a trailer but refuses to do the boat trailer. Take her back to the farm and she is a pro with the tracker and pipe trailer. Her excuse, damage to farm equipment does not need to be fixed, damage to the trailer or someone's else stuff requires repairs, so she is scared to damage anything.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
My wife does all the work in the truck launching, and pulling out the boat. I drive the boat on and off the trailer. She does a great job. We launch out of Windsor and it just seems like a shit show having one person do it all. Holding the boat there really is not an option.

That was the deal we made when we bought our first boat. Our daughter was 2 at the time and this way she is not left unattended or stuck in the heat for an extended period.

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
Before we had the baby, wife would pull the trailer up, park the truck and do the walking when we would go local or to Katherine's. Now since we have the baby, she stays in the boat and I do everything when we are at those places.

When we are in Havasu, I launch by myself because I always get a slip so since it takes time to get all the kids ready, I get up early, get my slip at 8am, launch the boat, unhook the trailer, drive back down to the lot, take boat for a hot lap, put back in slip and then go pick everyone up. Works out well and allows me a little alone time in the boat while the wife handles getting the kids ready :D

K-DOG

Reaction score
My wife can do either but she normally does the boat and I go get the truck and trailer. Works out really well. Her dad taught her when she was young and it sure makes things nice.

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
These days I'm usually the parking lot biatch.
I back the boat down and help her get it fired up and make sure the drive is down.

The only time I am driving the boat on the trailer is at night.

PVHCA

Reaction score
How do you guys handle the launching and loading duties? For us the wife is in the boat and I'm doing the walking. Just doesn't seem right to send a woman hoofin' it after the truck and trailer. Plus back in the early days it was much easier to teach her to load the boat than back the trailer. Especially when we used to have a camper on the truck. There are some places where I wish I could get out of the walk though. Callville Bay on Lake Mead is a trek. Katherine's seems pretty far some days as well.

Callville Bay:
View attachment 435204

Callville use to have a golf cart shuttle that would pick you up at any of the lots, check into that next trip. Good to see they are using the old ramp, I think, LOL

plaster dave

Face down A$$ up
Reaction score
She does the truck unless another friend is there then they will do the truck.
I do the boat. She doesn't like the blower surge around the dock.

TCHB

Reaction score
My wife handles the boat and go get the truck. She drives the boat up on the trailer and I connect it.

Always Floored

Reaction score
Read all of these. I feel sorry for the guys who wives do nothing. I feel realy sorry for the guys who wives dont even want to go out on the lake, that would be grounds for divorce for me.

My wife drives the boat like a champ. Backing up the trailer scares the shit out of her, but she would do it if she had to. If I sold my boat and said no more boating, she would divorce me, I got me a keeper.😇

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
I've been teaching my fiance both jobs. If it's busy, I'll back the boat in then take it off the trailer and she parks the truck. When loading if it's busy also, I'll do the truck and she does the boat. If it's not busy, she likes to practice backing up the truck. She doesn't do too bad. Specially since I make her use the mirrors and not look over her shoulder. She does well with the boat too. Specially considering I don't have reverse in the boat.

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
Depends on the ramp. Usually I do both if there is a courtesy dock. She'd pull the truck up off the ramp if it was busy, and just wait off to the side somewhere while I'd dock the boat, then we'd change spots and I would go park the rig while she got the boat all organized.

Wife can now park the truck and trailer if needed. She had no desire to learn to run the boat. Again, depends on conditions.

At Katherine's I would bring a little kids scooter to ride back down the hill! LOL

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
We've got the launching down to science. We actually use the boat ready area (wish everyone would) to get all the gear, dogs and people in the boat. I unlatch the boat, then we communicate with walkie talkies and as soon as everyoneis set I pull around into the line-up and first spot on the ramp thats open I stage, back the boat into the water (assuming its clear to do so) and as the boat is slipping off the trailer I pull forward and go find a space. Rarely ever more than about 40 secs at the ramp. Loading takes a little longer but still pretty much the same scenario. Occassionally the wife gets a bit sideways at the last second trying to land the boat on the trailer but overall she does pretty well and we're headed for the clean-up area in just a couple of minutes.
It's going to remain this way for all eternity because because the wife can't even back up a car, let alone a trailer.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
Lil bro has taken over the truck and trailer. Rides down from the lot at Katherine's on a penny board. Quick and easy. Going back at the end of the day is a little different. Everyone is good and drunk so i take care of everything

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
We've got the launching down to science. We actually use the boat ready area (wish everyone would) to get all the gear, dogs and people in the boat. I unlatch the boat, then we communicate with walkie talkies and as soon as everyoneis set I pull around into the line-up and first spot on the ramp thats open I stage, back the boat into the water (assuming its clear to do so) and as the boat is slipping off the trailer I pull forward and go find a space. Rarely ever more than about 40 secs at the ramp. Loading takes a little longer but still pretty much the same scenario. Occassionally the wife gets a bit sideways at the last second trying to land the boat on the trailer but overall she does pretty well and we're headed for the clean-up area in just a couple of minutes.
It's going to remain this way for all eternity because because the wife can't even back up a car, let alone a trailer.

I can't stand the improper use of the ready lanes. I get everything ready at the house make he 4 mile tow and can't stand being held up while some guy is in the wrong lane putting up his Bimini

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
I can't stand the improper use of the ready lanes. I get everything ready at the house make he 4 mile tow and can't stand being held up while some guy is in the wrong lane putting up his Bimini

Just so we're clear. When I say "we use the boat ready area" I'm talking about the area designed to get everything ready not the staging lane at the ramp. I hate it when people pull into the staging area and then have to do 10 mins. worth of getting ready before they back up and launch the boat. It's usually those same people that as soon as there in the water will turn the boat sideways blocking everyone else from getting in and wait for the driver of the trailer.

Advantage 1

Reaction score

Pros & cons to the large launch areas. I think owning something should give you water privileges. Let the rookies fuck around together while they inflate their towables in the lane and the folks that know what they are doing get in & out with their own ramp.

Enen

Reaction score
With the big boat, I back it in, jump in the boat and pull it off the trailer and she parks the truck. If it is busy, I will run up and grab the truck, then jump in the boat and put it back on the trailer.

When we had the little boat, my son launched the boat and put it back on the trailer, I handled truck duty.

milkmoney

Reaction score
When I had the boats. My wife would back the trailer. She has hauled more horse trailer miles than u can shake a stick at, but no boat driving. [emoji106]

mbrown2

Reaction score
Normally both...but it is our own private ramp...just go down unlock chain, drop boat in and leave truck there...tie up boat in docks and then drive truck about 500 ft back to the house. When we have done Havasu, she can drive the boat off but it not into backing up the trailer.

Andy B.

Reaction score
The ex use to load the boat was pretty good at it even when drunk hence why I drove and ALWAYS stopped drinking halfway thru the day. I'm teaching the new GF to drive the boat she loves the water and boating I got lucky! It's nice to be with someone that isn't a heavy drinker didn't realize how much of a parent I was instead of a husband!:skull