WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Lavey 24 open bow for stock

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Boat is 25+ feet when you add the swim step into the mix like most measure their boats.

Pick your interior and motivation choices and it can be ready to go pretty quick.

Can be setup for outboard as well. A 400 would be a killer combo in this rig.

Original customer wanted a different (but still green) gel scheme and we made a deal with him and created a second boat thats very similar well post up in a bit.

We had wanted to build a 24 for inventory anyway so it worked out great for both both parties.

UD

IMG_5937.jpg

IMG_5941.jpg

IMG_5939.jpg

Runs2rch

Reaction score
A 400 would be sweet. My only concern would be with a boat load will it struggle getting on plane?

Q4mtxUS

Reaction score
I like this build, gelcoater did a fantastic job, as usual, and a stainless rub rail would make the colors“pop” IMO... Questions for you UD, if I may ask?
- If the 400R option is chosen, does the fuel tank (I’m assuming it’s already installed) have to be moved aft? - And, how far aft can you move the rear bench seat to open up the cockpit?

Thanks
Rob

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
I like this build, gelcoater did a fantastic job, as usual, and a stainless rub rail would make the colors“pop” IMO... Questions for you UD, if I may ask?
- If the 400R option is chosen, does the fuel tank (I’m assuming it’s already installed) have to be moved aft? - And, how far aft can you move the rear bench seat to open up the cockpit?

Thanks
Rob

I really had my doubts about the green but it came out awesome (as did the sister boat)

Fuel tank stays where its at from what I know, but the transom will get get an outboard well and brace mod similar to what was done for the 2750 w twins.

Not sure how far back it can go, but in chatting internally - pretty far back, it would make for a gigantic cockpit.

Give Chris a call and chat him up about it.

UD

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
A 400 would be sweet. My only concern would be with a boat load will it struggle getting on plane?

As long as you prop it correctly I don think so.

If you "big wheel" the thing to pull a top end number like so many guys do - then load it up probably.

I could see having at least two or three wheels with an outboard like this.

I usually carry 2 with me a 28 for a light load/ cool temps and a 26 for altitude loads and heat.

UD

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
That would be cool to do a newer & bigger version my boat. Ahh dreams are nice. Lol!

I carry 2 props with me. I have a big ear chopper for speed runs and a Laser II for loaded trips. A jack plate would help even more with tranisioning between the conditions.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
UD how do these boats run in the rough? Seems like many people (my opinion unwarranted) forget about these boats in the 24-26 rough water capable family boat class in favor of the Tremor.

Last edited:

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
UD how do these boats run in the rough? Seems like many people (my opinion unwarranted) forget about these boats in the 24-26 rough water capable family boat class in favor of the Tremor.

Pretty well. The Lavey 24 has been raced offshore and done pretty well. I don't think the tremor has ever been raced in offshore competition but I could be wrong.

The 24 Lavey and 25 tremor are within an inch or so of each other in size, and fuel capacity with most spec's going to the lavey, but they are very closely sized.

The tremors swim step is the older style bolt on "L" bracket type where the lavey step is molded into the hull.

The boats are rigged a bit differently with Chris Camire having a different style than what will come out of Shockwave.

I can't speak for anyones else pricing, but the Lavey is typically a little more money which steers clients, and the fact that its marketed as a 24 vs a 25 fools some clients into thinking one is larger than the other.

Lavey doesnt consider the swim steps "boat length" and is in the position of explaining the step / no step issues to potential clients every time.

UD

H2O

Reaction score

I'm eagerly waiting for someone to make a 24 with a 400R.

I have zero experience with the 24 NuEra, but in other 23'-ish production boats I've been in, the outboards came out of the hole better and had similar or better top speed with less HP than the I/O. This assumes favorable power to weight ratio, i.e. lighter hulls that are able to take good advantage of less weight on the stern.

Although the 400R undoubtedly makes a lot less torque than an 8.2 HO, the 400r is supercharged so you are probably making close to 100% of peak torque while coming on plane.

Love to see how that would play out on the 24!

Last edited:

Gelcoater

Reaction score
I'm eagerly waiting for someone to make a 24 with a 400R.

I have zero experience with the 24 NuEra, but in other 23'-ish production boats I've been in, the outboards came out of the hole better and had similar or better top speed with less HP than the I/O. This assumes favorable power to weight ratio, i.e. lighter hulls that are able to take good advantage of less weight on the stern.

Although the 400R undoubtedly makes a lot less torque than an 8.2 HO, the 400r is supercharged so you are probably making close to 100% of peak torque while coming on plane.

Love to see how that would play out on the 24!
Don’t forget the 400 has an about 7k redline;)

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
Looks like Jayco marine has a couple 400r pacemakers starting at 25k.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
thats what we are looking for..... 25 plus interior, trailer, and rigging...were/ Im digging around for the dough!

Desert Storm is looking good and Lavey has an announcement pending that should generate some interest.

UD

Runs2rch

Reaction score
thats what we are looking for..... 25 plus interior, trailer, and rigging...were/ Im digging around for the dough!

Desert Storm is looking good and Lavey has an announcement pending that should generate some interest.

UD

Everything you guys are doing is making me want to sell my Hallett and become a Laveycraft owner.

Big Chorizo

Reaction score
Crap, I hope I didn't hurt this guys sale. For Sale - Like new 24' NuEra, never raced and never airborne.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
No worries the yellow 24 was sold demoed, picked up, and paid for!

Its going cost 25K more to repeat what it was built for.

New owner got a steal!

UD

Last edited:

Runs2rch

Reaction score
So a 400 over say a 520? I love the idea of more cockpit space. As long as it will get everything done watersports wise the 400 seems the way to go.

Funny how it can be hard to get over what is traditional.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
The space is definitely a benefit Seems 50% of the I/o hatch distance is about norm so you can have a bit of storage back there..
A 400 saves a bunch of weight over the mostly iron mill Outdrive boat - but hangs that weight further back

Most of the factory outdrive engines till you get to the merc 600 are pretty blasé these days If you are going to build a 600 HP/ftb lbNa + big block or a 550+ aluminum small block - it would be more fun than the outboard - but at big block weight and a now base level of HP 520 from a BBC - the outboard does almost the same if not better job providing you have a set of wheels to choose from. Its harder to buy and finance a custom mill than an outboard or factory deal though.

Thing with me personally if Im idling out and the outboard stops about all I can do is poke around under the cowling for a loose connection -
I can't do a damm thing but maybe change oil and filters on them and I know the verados use a belt drive like a car to maintain which sucks when you have to do it.
I can deal better and am much more familiar with a big/ small block.

Unless we were talking very light tunnels or cats I never really used to like outboards pushing big rigs at all - but these current gen units are really nice products with different value propositions and solid performance.

UD

Q4mtxUS

Reaction score
I do like this build UD and I’m not sure what position Lavey would take as far as finishing this build out with the O/B and flooring it rather then waiting for a customer to decide. Although risky, l feel certain that it’d sell. You mentioned a 550 horsepower SB would make this a fun machine too, but where does one aquire this mouse powerhouse?

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Were mulling building out the outboard now. We'd like to see firsthand how it works and enjoy it a bit with close friends and potential clients to see what they think.

Factory small blocks of any interest are rare, but the LS based ilmor 570 is pretty awesome.

A 24 with the Ilmor 570- would be a hoot. https://www.ilmor.com/Marine/High-Performance/MV8-570

Alexi Sahagian (boostpower) can and would build you a wicked small block if you wanted one. A custom all aluminum injected LS set up right would be killer.

The long term ownership nature of these products gravitates them toward custom mills vs factory stuff anyway.

Screen Shot 2018-04-23 at 8.16.22 AM.png

Runs2rch

Reaction score
I'm with you. The 570 Ilmor is a bad little motor. Could still be paired to an XR, and the XR should live a good life.

hallett21

Reaction score
Did the boat get laid up with an outboard transom?

Stern insurance is getting into the 80s I believe with their 21 Lavey 400 combo. Pretty sure they race with a full interior.

Outboard gives you an interior for 8-10 if you really wanted. I’d say prop it for low 70s and have a fun family boat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Runs2rch

Reaction score

Stern insurance is getting into the 80s I believe with their 21 Lavey 400 combo. Pretty sure they race with a full interior.

Outboard gives you an interior for 8-10 if you really wanted. I’d say prop it for low 70s and have a fun family boat

8-10 super comfy. 8-10 will fit with an I/O just rubbing shoulders.

Runs2rch

Reaction score
UD on a side note can the 27 be rigged with twins?

Uncle Dave

Reaction score

Boat was built for I/o - well have to brace it and well the transom which is some work, but not ridiculous.

Stern gets 85 with his rig with fuel and 2 guys which is basically a stock 21 closed bow as delivered from Lavey.

I can see 8 - 4 across the back, driver, passenger, and one on each side in front - the last 2 can grab a diff ride.

UD

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Could you do a 24 in twins?

On a causal level- dont think so easily. Transom was never designed to accommodate that, but we can DO anything physics allows , its a matter of cost and time.

Were going to take a harder look at it this week as we've had 2 requests now.

UD

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
With Merc coming out "eventually" with their new "lightweight" V8 outboards this conversation could get interesting...

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
With Merc coming out "eventually" with their new "lightweight" V8 outboards this conversation could get interesting...

Call that a reason not to invest in a 400 just now - although a verado 350 would be decent as well.

UD

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
Call that a reason not to invest in a 400 just now - although a verado 350 would be decent as well.

UD

I think the 400 is going to be the motor to have for the foreseeable future. They aren't talking about dropping the new motors until 2019 and even then they are going to be back logged and marked up. I would take a Pacemaker 400R today over the first new Merc off the line. If the numbers are impressive rock a 400 for a few seasons and then make the switch. I'm not holding out huge hope for the new line. Their new "lightweight" 225 hp still weighs 475 lbs. The new V8 has to be well north of that. They are 4 strokes after all. Maybe I will be proved wrong...

Q4mtxUS

Reaction score
Hey UD. Thanks for the response, I’d forgotten about the Ilmor 570 option but I do prefer the Boostpower build you speak of. For me, this combination of Lavey and Boostpower is all, for lack of better analogy, premier west coast performance boating...straight up “Westcoastin”...and, just a stones throw from me. Basically from the north border to the south border, so, kinda a long stone but...not to awful far away.

Now, while these Verados are currently all the rage “and a bag of potato chips”,,,I cringe when a hull that is specifically designed for stern drive application is cut up to acccomodate the “Trend” but I am impressed with, and respect the glass/gel work and man hours involved to transform a strern drive hull into an outboard hull that looks like it has been pulled from a mold such as the stunning, recently “wet” 2750. I guess what Ima sayin is that I’m back to drinking and if the trend is these O/B powered boats then another hull should be tooled for the outboard motor.

Cheers
R

Lavey 29

Reaction score
Until you need to change the plugs or oil! ;)

emmm worst yet changing out starters

IMO there is no reason to put twin I/O's in a 2750. Twin outboards currently yes until a affordable 600 hp outboard comes a lot and does not weigh a ton.

Yeah I know Seven Marine but the 626 hp is like 92 K per one. the 557 hp is like 72 K. But there is your GM LSA engines for the outboard side as well.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
emmm worst yet changing out starters

IMO there is no reason to put twin I/O's in a 2750. Twin outboards currently yes until a affordable 600 hp outboard comes a lot and does not weigh a ton.

Yeah I know Seven Marine but the 626 hp is like 92 K per one. the 557 hp is like 72 K. But there is your GM LSA engines for the outboard side as well.
And..... 1,100 lbs!!!!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Runs2rch

Reaction score
Until you need to change the plugs or oil! ;)

I don't know a whole lot about the 2750, but if the backseat unbolts and slides forward it would be just like working on anything else.

CobraDave

Reaction score
I don't know a whole lot about the 2750, but if the backseat unbolts and slides forward it would be just like working on anything else.

That’s a pretty good idea. Have the back seat on a track or something like that. Or just having the back unhook.

CobraDave with a Shockwave!