WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Lavey 24 open bow for stock

Runs2rch

Reaction score
That’s a pretty good idea. Have the back seat on a track or something like that. Or just having the back unhook.

CobraDave with a Shockwave!

That is a good idea. Probably no way to hide the track and made it super rigid. Just nut certs glassed in. Unbolt the seat and slide it forward. Should be more than enough room to sit and work. The downside is when you forget or need a tool. Takes me like 20 minutes to get in and out of the bilge.

H2O

Reaction score
From what I've read on OSO and other places, the Ilmor 570 is a sweet package, very refined and reliable.

A lower cost, small block alternative would be the stock GM marinized LSA (aluminum block and heads), which currently puts out about 550 hp & tq.

I've seen complete new LSA engines, without drive, in the $16K rang... but prices seem to be creeping up:

https://marineenginedepot.com/20785/0/Marine-Power-E62LSA-6.2L-Supercharged-I-O-Engine-(550-HP)

Might be a nice option for a light (efficient) hull, where you can take advantage of the weight savings vs big block. From what I've heard, if you put them in larger boats, and they get into the boost at cruising speed, the MPG advantage disappears.

http://www.gmpowertrain.com/Libraries/Marine_Engines/LSA_6_2L_V-8_SC_Marine.sflb.ashx

Last edited:

Runs2rch

Reaction score
From what I've read on OSO and other places, the Ilmor 570 is a sweet package, very refined and reliable.

A lower cost, small block alternative would be the stock GM marinized LSA (aluminum block and heads), which currently puts out about 550 hp & tq.

I've seen complete new LSA engines, without drive, in the $16K rang... but prices seem to be creeping up:

https://marineenginedepot.com/20785/0/Marine-Power-E62LSA-6.2L-Supercharged-I-O-Engine-(550-HP)

Might be a nice option for a light (efficient) hull, where you can take advantage of the weight savings vs big block. From what I've heard, if you put them in larger boats, and they get into the boost at cruising speed, the MPG advantage disappears.

http://www.gmpowertrain.com/Libraries/Marine_Engines/LSA_6_2L_V-8_SC_Marine.sflb.ashx

Exactly. The MED 6.2's are nice, but will give up some tq to the Ilmor. LSX 454's are bulletproof also.

hallett21

Reaction score
Is there an issue with Merc warranties behind non Merc motors? Say a B1 behind the Ilmor engine?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Is there an issue with Merc warranties behind non Merc motors? Say a B1 behind the Ilmor engine?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depends

if you buy a package from some one or pieces.

Lavey bought my ilmor package from Bob Teague and he totally covered me - and was rewarded with the subsequent rebuilds he duly earned.

Drive warranties are a very precarious thing and sometimes on an as deal basis.

The little Imor isn't going to hit that drive on the bottom like big block and it will last a bit longer.
Two of these behind souped up Bravos would be very cool in a 2750 or 29-32.

UD

Runs2rch

Reaction score
Depends

if you buy a package from some one or pieces.

Lavey bought my ilmor package from Bob Teague and he totally covered me - and was rewarded with the subsequent rebuilds he duly earned.

Drive warranties are a very precarious thing and sometimes on an as deal basis.

The little Imor isn't going to hit that drive on the bottom like big block and it will last a bit longer.
Two of these behind souped up Bravos would be very cool in a 2750 or 29-32.

UD

So a 2750 could be built with a pair of 570's???

Lavey 29

Reaction score
For stock production engines and drives - I would pick the Volvo Penta 6.2 / 430 hp or the 380 hp over the Mercuiser 8.2 430 hp and the Merc 6.2. Its 300 lbs lighter and Volvo outdrives the SX and DP are really good. The GM GEN V direct injection runs really well. I have driven all of the Volvo GM GEN V direct injection engines and you would swear they all seem like bigger motors in the boats. Bigger as in HP and torque. They accelerate very well. Volvo weak link is the trim pump assembly mounted externally in the transom assembly other than that --- Volvo transom assemblies are way better than Mercruiser. No intermediate shift cable nor the shift cables bellows, no gimbel ring wear, have yet to see a cracked gimbel ring , U joint bellows last longer than mercruiser in apples to apples timeframe., The Volvo outdrives run a lot cooler as well for a jist of info.

http://www.volvopenta.com/marinelei...drive-gasoline/v8-430-ce-ox/v8-430-ce-ox.html

Last edited:

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
You mentioned these are being pretty impressive before.

It might be time for Volvo to make a comeback, especially if a guy is happy wit the output and not ever going to mess with his setup and just wants reliable engine and drive at a good price point.

One of the biggies with any duprop Volvo or otherwise for me is that I have a whole grip of props, and every other summer or two will bottom out or hit something floating on the river that nicks up or bends a blade. I can also help a buddy out with something if a group trip has a prop strike.

Having to buy and maintain two wheels of each size is a royal PIA.

If my problem was trying to get a big deck boat out of the box and to plane at low speed - sure I get it these duo drives work great.

In an I/O performance deal that runs in all conditions places and tempo full and empty boating a mile high or at sea level eehhhhh still not sure.......

Id like a ride in one to see for sure.

UD

HCP3

Reaction score
What is going to happen with this one? I noticed the website says it has sold. Are you able to share what kind of power the new owner is going with?

Fenderbender

Reaction score
I was on a hard search for a clean 24 nuera and when I talked to them at the LA boat show they said that it was still available.

HCP3

Reaction score
I was on a hard search for a clean 24 nuera and when I talked to them at the LA boat show they said that it was still available.

I'm sure it was available at that time (2 months ago), but I noticed late last week it is now marked sold. I'm curious what the buyer chose for power.

LazyLavey

Reaction score
That would be cool to do a newer & bigger version my boat. Ahh dreams are nice. Lol!

I carry 2 props with me. I have a big ear chopper for speed runs and a Laser II for loaded trips. A jack plate would help even more with tranisioning between the conditions.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Flying,

Is yours a Sebring?

lavey jr

Reaction score
Oh wow! I can only imagine what is in store for that boat. :D

Same here!
I hope he puts some big power in it! There was a 24 NuEra walk though open bow that was built with an Ilmor 710 that ran a best of 97 mph. I'd love to see a 24 NuEra break 100 mph!!

LazyLavey

Reaction score
No. Interceptor. My uncle's is one of the first 20.2 Sebrings though. Lots of experience in that boat.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

Nice.... rare to see one of those ... what year?

In '86 I had a 20.2 Sebring..(Dale Clark era) Awesome all around boat except for the rough Havasu water...

I hated to trade up...

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Nice.... rare to see one of those ... what year?

In '86 I had a 20.2 Sebring..(Dale Clark era) Awesome all around boat except for the rough Havasu water...

I hated to trade up...
I've seen a few of them. A friend if a friend here at Naci had a later one ('92ish I believe) with an open bow and the 4.3 V6. Thing ran 62 on GPS. They are an impressive little boat really. Haven't seen another closed bow though.

My Uncle's Sebring is an '85. It was actually built for the '85 Parker 9 hour where Chris drove it. It was the heavy hull of their entries that year.

Even weirder... Our 2 boats are very similar colors, the same year, same engines (he has brown graphics on his cowling though) and our CF numbers are only 13 apart.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk