WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Lavey 2950 New motor

DBO

Reaction score
Just picked up my new to me Lavey 2950. Motor was completely redone by Savage Marine in Havasu. Motor is (was) a 500EFI. Has been torn down and rebuilt with AFR heads , TCM cam , re programed ECU , new pistons ect. Current prop is a labbed 26. Will I or can I run a bigger prop? Have to finish breaking in the motor before I can lean on it but just curious and any thoughts. Boat was doing about 72 mph with stock 500efi. Putting out over 600hp now.
Appreciate any thoughts.

D

Attachments

• B19AAFA0-3E02-4E45-87A4-DD104549C76F.jpeg
    B19AAFA0-3E02-4E45-87A4-DD104549C76F.jpeg
    940.6 KB · Views: 52

AZLineman

Adjusting to retired life
Reaction score
My 2950 with 635hp ran 78 with a 5 blade from Augie, 79 with a Hydromotive P5x and 81 with a lab B1. 28 & 30P. For drivability the boats like a 5 Blade Way better and keep in mind all speeds are “ish” due to air temp and fuel loading. I had no “exact” baseline. The cutting edge prop went with the boat. The P5X I still have. IMO they are some of the absolute best props out there unless you step up to the next high dollar level. 2950 is one of the absolute best boats I have ever owned and I hope to have another someday. Hopefully a newer one where they open up the cuddy entryway because it was hard for me to get in and out of the narrow little door.

lavey jr

Reaction score
Assuming you’re turning the engine to 5400 RPM

Mercury bravo1 lab 28 should get you right at 80mph

Mercury lab Max5 ST 28 should get you about 4-5 more mph but a ton better handling and less tab input needed

DBO

Reaction score
Motor is good to 5800rpm according to builder once break in is done. Valve train is MUCH improved over stock.
I appreciate the input on props.

DBO

Reaction score

Mercury lab Max5 ST 28 should get you about 4-5 more mph but a ton better handling and less tab input needed
My 2950 with 635hp ran 78 with a 5 blade from Augie, 79 with a Hydromotive P5x and 81 with a lab B1. 28 & 30P. For drivability the boats like a 5 Blade Way better and keep in mind all speeds are “ish” due to air temp and fuel loading. I had no “exact” baseline. The cutting edge prop went with the boat. The P5X I still have. IMO they are some of the absolute best props out there unless you step up to the next high dollar level. 2950 is one of the absolute best boats I have ever owned and I hope to have another someday. Hopefully a newer one where they open up the cuddy entryway because it was hard for me to get in and out of the narrow little door.
Door is very narrow, I go in cabin backwards and kind of sideways to get my shoulders in, as they are fairly wide.

I appreciate the reply, you possibly interested in selling a prop?

DBO

Reaction score
Sorry for the stupid question but what is a B1 prop?

DBO

Reaction score

So Max 5 over Hydromotive 5 your thinking?
Wanting good mid range/Cruze numbers more than just to speed. Big numbers on top end are nice but drivability and mid range is where I would spend most the time.

lavey jr

Reaction score
So Max 5 over Hydromotive 5 your thinking?
Wanting good mid range/Cruze numbers more than just to speed. Big numbers on top end are nice but drivability and mid range is where I would spend most the time.
Yes Max 5 all day long. It’s the best of all performance ranges on that boat

Reactions: DBO

AZLineman

Adjusting to retired life
Reaction score
Best pseudo pleasure prop Merc has ever engineered hands-down but I’ll pass on the $2500 price tag. I like to give the little guys my business.

Reactions: DBO

DBO

Reaction score
Best pseudo pleasure prop Merc has ever engineered hands-down but I’ll pass on the $2500 price tag. I like to give the little guys my business.
Spendy for sure but I think I’m gunna spend the cash. I have looked long/hard for this boat. Spent good money not as much as some of course but in my world quite a bit. I don’t want to not have the best prop I can and get all out of the boat I can by saving 1k or so if that makes since?
Not completely set but leaning towards the Max 5