WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Lavey Craft 29, what to look for

EBT531

Reaction score
Going to look at a 2001 Lavey 29 this week. Any issues these boats are known for? Its got a 500 efi so I know to check the compression/leakdown as the heads haven't been done before. Anything specific to the engine or hull thats a common issue? Its a closed bow if that matters. Thank you!

Backlash

Reaction score
I'm sure the hull will be sound as Lavey builds a solid boat. I would imagine your concerns would be with the drivetrain more than anything else.

jailbird141

Reaction score
I own a 2003 29' Nu Era LaveyCraft. The one in my avatar. The boat is solid! I have taken the boat to Catalina, Mead, Mohave and spend most of my time on Havasu. The craftsmanship, rigging, fit and finish is second to none. I have the Merc 525 in it and the only compliant I have is I wish I could go faster. (But don't most of us?) This is my second LaveyCraft, I have a 26' NuEra as well. The one thing I can say is that both boats are drivers boats. What I mean is that you will have to learn where the "sweet spots" are and how they like to be driven. They take a little more than just hopping in, burying the throttle and going. But personally, I like that I actually have to drive it. Don't get me wrong, you can hop in and cruise all day long with no issues, but if you want to get the max out of it on the top end, you gotta drive it. Mine has been a great boat and I have not had any issues. If you have any specific questions I would be more than willing to answer them. Otherwise, I would call Chris at LaveyCraft or PM laveyjr on the boards as they will probably both be able tell you anything you want to know about the boat down to the finest detail. Happy shopping!

EBT531

Reaction score
Maxed Out has a super clean 29.

I saw that but it has twins. Trying to avoid twins to save on fuel and maintenance costs. lol of course in 2-4yrs I'll be the guy who wants twins cuz "its not that much more" oh well

Rbcconst

Reaction score
I own a 2003 29' Nu Era LaveyCraft. The one in my avatar. The boat is solid! I have taken the boat to Catalina, Mead, Mohave and spend most of my time on Havasu. The craftsmanship, rigging, fit and finish is second to none. I have the Merc 525 in it and the only compliant I have is I wish I could go faster. (But don't most of us?) This is my second LaveyCraft, I have a 26' NuEra as well. The one thing I can say is that both boats are drivers boats. What I mean is that you will have to learn where the "sweet spots" are and how they like to be driven. They take a little more than just hopping in, burying the throttle and going. But personally, I like that I actually have to drive it. Don't get me wrong, you can hop in and cruise all day long with no issues, but if you want to get the max out of it on the top end, you gotta drive it. Mine has been a great boat and I have not had any issues. If you have any specific questions I would be more than willing to answer them. Otherwise, I would call Chris at LaveyCraft or PM laveyjr on the boards as they will probably both be able tell you anything you want to know about the boat down to the finest detail. Happy shopping!

The 26 you would also consider a drivers boat? I have a 2750 which I would consider a drivers boat. Once you have the set up down it’s a piece of cake and then the performance is worth the work. I wouldn’t have expected that out of a 26.

To the OP. If you get the 29 you should find someone who owns one to run it with you. It will change your experience in the boat and eliminate frustration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

EBT531

Reaction score
The 26 you would also consider a drivers boat? I have a 2750 which I would consider a drivers boat. Once you have the set up down it’s a piece of cake and then the performance is worth the work. I wouldn’t have expected that out of a 26.

To the OP. If you get the 29 you should find someone who owns one to run it with you. It will change your experience in the boat and eliminate frustration.

I like that idea. I read a few tips like how they like a little tab on one side on the top end, but you're right that seat time usually reveals the secrets so why not go out with another owner. If the deal works out, I'll post up here and see if I can work that out.

Rbcconst

Reaction score
I like that idea. I read a few tips like how they like a little tab on one side on the top end, but you're right that seat time usually reveals the secrets so why not go out with another owner. If the deal works out, I'll post up here and see if I can work that out.

I wish it was the first thing I did after purchasing. Really easy to get the hang of but will change the experience. Very little trim, both tabs need to be used, one a little more. None of it is hard but messing with those giant tabs can be intimidating until someone shows you exactly what it needs.

lavey jr

Reaction score
If you have any specific questions at all about the 29, or any Lavey model, feel free to ask them and I will answer them
You don’t necessarily have to PM me, you can ask them on the forum publicly so it can be good knowledge for everyone also wondering those same questions

zx14

The Skipper
Reaction score
That 2000 that Max has looks to be a different bottom than the current ones? No?

lavey jr

Reaction score
That 2000 that Max has looks to be a different bottom than the current ones? No?

No it is the same normal 29 NuEra bottom.

There is only one 29 built that has the modified bottom that the 2750 has. Basically all that modification is, two strakes removed per side and all the lip strakes removed except for the two small ones all the way forward. Short reason as to why this was done to the 2750 is to lessen the lift the bottom creates so it is more stable for higher HP and higher speeds but even with the less lift it still gained speed all around. The reason the one 29 was also modified like that is because it was built to spend most of its life over 100mph. There was also one other 29 that got a small part of the rear strakes shaved down. That 29 was a twin Merc 600 setup and it needed a little less lift because of the power and speed it had.

But again to answer your question, the twin Merc 500 boat that Max has is the full standard 29 bottom

zx14

The Skipper
Reaction score

There is only one 29 built that has the modified bottom that the 2750 has. Basically all that modification is, two strakes removed per side and all the lip strakes removed except for the two small ones all the way forward. Short reason as to why this was done to the 2750 is to lessen the lift the bottom creates so it is more stable for higher HP and higher speeds but even with the less lift it still gained speed all around. The reason the one 29 was also modified like that is because it was built to spend most of its life over 100mph. There was also one other 29 that got a small part of the rear strakes shaved down. That 29 was a twin Merc 600 setup and it needed a little less lift because of the power and speed it had.

But again to answer your question, the twin Merc 500 boat that Max has is the full standard 29 bottom
Maybe the Max photo is deceptive, your website 29 shows 2 steps, the the max photo looks like one. ?

lavey jr

Reaction score
Maybe the Max photo is deceptive, your website 29 shows 2 steps, the the max photo looks like one. ?

2 steps

803D1595-7668-49E7-881B-E3528D018496.jpeg

Reaction score
I owned a 2006 29' with 525 and drivers boat is an understatement. It was a chine walking mofo and would even fall to one side now and again when taking off so you'd have to pull back on the stick and start over again.

Had it for about three months and sold it, best 7,000.00 I ever lost.

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score

The 29 we have listed is owned by the same owners as the one with twin 600’s. [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lavey jr

Reaction score
I owned a 2006 29' with 525 and drivers boat is an understatement. It was a chine walking mofo and would even fall to one side now and again when taking off so you'd have to pull back on the stick and start over again.

Sorry to hear about your bad experience.
In all the very many 29’s I’ve driven I’ve never had one fall to one side getting on plane. Yes I’ve had one chine walk but never chine walk I couldn’t control and eliminate with a little bit of trim tab.
Just out of curiosity did you ever have someone from Lavey drive your boat to replicate what you experienced? I’ve personally driven with many people who explained these types of I’ll handling symptoms and after driving with them they never had any handling issues.

zx14

The Skipper
Reaction score
The 29 we have listed is owned by the same owners as the one with twin 600’s. [emoji106]

What is the top speed with the twin 500efi?Thats Chris Proudy’s old boat isn’t it?

jailbird141

Reaction score

I have experienced a little chine walking but as lavey jr said, it was easily corrected. I have never experienced it falling to one side during take off and having to pull back on the throttle and start over.

Rbcconst

Reaction score

The only reason it would fall to one side would be if you had the tabs buried and tried to turn at the same time as getting on plane like a hard left or hard right. That’s not boat specific, those tabs are giant and you can’t turn like that when there all the way down.

Get415

Reaction score
I also had an 03 with a 525. Mainly havasu but ran to Catalina as well. Boat takes a little input here and there but nothing even remotely what I would call a negative experience. Get a ride in one and find some rough water, you will be VERY impressed.

Runs2rch

Reaction score
I saw that but it has twins. Trying to avoid twins to save on fuel and maintenance costs. lol of course in 2-4yrs I'll be the guy who wants twins cuz "its not that much more" oh well

29 with twin 500 EFI's will not burn drastically more than a single 500 EFI working much harder. That boat also has no hrs.

With twin 600's in a heavier boat we burn 50-60 gallons a day cruising 45-65 depending.

zx14

The Skipper
Reaction score
29 with twin 500 EFI's will not burn drastically more than a single 500 EFI working much harder. That boat also has no hrs.

With twin 600's in a heavier boat we burn 50-60 gallons a day cruising 45-65 depending.
I would buy that 2000 with 2x 500 efi. If it where not for a daytona that I have a shit load of money in drive train. (Even though I hate those portholes).

lavey jr

Reaction score
I would buy that 2000 with 2x 500 efi. If it where not for a daytona that I have a shit load of money in drive train. (Even though I hate those portholes).

I know you said your reason is because of your current boat, but Lavey has filled those port holes on a handful of older used 29’s brought back to the shop

lavey jr

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the replies. I'm not hearing anything that would turn me away so hopefully I come home with a new boat this week.

Sounds great! If you ever have any questions about the boat or about driving it feel free to ask

Runs2rch

Reaction score
I know you said your reason is because of your current boat, but Lavey has filled those port holes on a handful of older used 29’s brought back to the shop

Ballpark what would it run to do that?

lavey jr

Reaction score
Ballpark what would it run to do that?

I’m sorry I do not know that cost. Last time I talked to Chris about that he said it depends on each boat because some are a more complex repair because of the gel designs. And then it would also depend on how much of the underdeck carpet the customer wants to replace.

Runs2rch

Reaction score
I’m sorry I do not know that cost. Last time I talked to Chris about that he said it depends on each boat because some are a more complex repair because of the gel designs. And then it would also depend on how much of the underdeck carpet the customer wants to replace.

Makes sense. I would probably regel this boat at the same time.

Lavey29

Floatin Dirty
Reaction score
The 29 is a solid built boat. Can handle any water that comes her way. I loved mine while I had it and still miss it now. Handling was very predictable. I remember cruising at 80 early in the season in March when it was still cool out and the kids were in the cabin watching a movie while I was up top with a jacket on. Ran high 90's on the top end and I would drag the port tab just slightly to adjust for the big single engine torque lean.
17763_1.jpg
Picture 052.jpg

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score
The 29 is a solid built boat. Can handle any water that comes her way. I loved mine while I had it and still miss it now. Handling was very predictable. I remember cruising at 80 early in the season in March when it was still cool out and the kids were in the cabin watching a movie while I was up top with a jacket on. Ran high 90's on the top end and I would drag the port tab just slightly to adjust for the big single engine torque lean. View attachment 752004 View attachment 752005
That was such a cool boat. Where did it ever end up do you know?

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
Not for nothing but the tan boat actually really surprised me in person. One because its so flawless for its age. Its in better condition than some 2 year old stuff I see, and the other was that the color and the interior look really classy in person. Pics dont do it justice at all. The first person who’s interested in it and actually looks at it in person is going to buy it. Its that nice. It was done to match the previous owners coach. A 70 year old doctor owns it now along with a 29 with 600sc’s.

lavey jr

Reaction score
Here’s quick cell phone video I put together of all the clips I had on my phone of two different 29 NuEra’s (plus Uncle Dave’s 2750 at the end). As you can see there’s none of the previously mentioned falling off lean getting on plane and no chine walking at various speeds.

Lavey29

Floatin Dirty
Reaction score
That was such a cool boat. Where did it ever end up do you know?

I saw it a few times on the water years ago with the new owner but not recently. That thing sounded like a bomb going off starting up at the ramp. Used to love that.

OP - The only draw back to having a big V like the 29 is access in and out of the boat when you are beached. If you have small kids and a lot of stuff for the beach it gets a little harder. The only way on and off mainly is via the stern transom. Early or late in the season when the water cools down kind of gets you a little bit.

Runs2rch

Reaction score
Here’s quick cell phone video I put together of all the clips I had on my phone of two different 29 NuEra’s (plus Uncle Dave’s 2750 at the end). As you can see there’s none of the previously mentioned falling off lean getting on plane and no chine walking at various speeds.

UD's 2750 looks so good on the water.

EBT531

Reaction score

Nice videos! The current owner said he uses the tabs to get it on plane and there is "blow out" for a few seconds. I'm used to blowout on our drag boat but that was a 20' with a big outboard on a jack plate. I don't see any of that in your video. Hes running a 26 pitch with the stock 500 efi. Is he just using too much throttle trying to get it moving or?? Basically here is what he said he does:

Lowers the tabs, lower trim, 2/3 throttle until it blows out a little then backs off the throttle some and raises the tabs as it gets on plane. Your video looked much cleaner than that.

Rbcconst

Reaction score
Nice videos! The current owner said he uses the tabs to get it on plane and there is "blow out" for a few seconds. I'm used to blowout on our drag boat but that was a 20' with a big outboard on a jack plate. I don't see any of that in your video. Hes running a 26 pitch with the stock 500 efi. Is he just using too much throttle trying to get it moving or?? Basically here is what he said he does:

Lowers the tabs, lower trim, 2/3 throttle until it blows out a little then backs off the throttle some and raises the tabs as it gets on plane. Your video looked much cleaner than that.

I have a 2750 with a 496. Not quite as big as the 29. Chris told me to hit 3500 rpm and let the prop do its work and tabs up. Gets on plane no problem. Prior to that I was tabs down and way more throttle and experienced some blowout. I was shocked at the difference. Not sure if he is mashing the stick to much. I’m sure Lavey Jr’s response will answer your question.

Runs2rch

Reaction score

You can use a little tab help roll it over. Have you water tested with him? I would see what he is doing. Hope he isn't hammering it to that 2/3 throttle.

Runs2rch

Reaction score
I have a 2750 with a 496. Not quite as big as the 29. Chris told me to hit 3500 rpm and let the prop do its work and tabs up. Gets on plane no problem. Prior to that I was tabs down and way more throttle and experienced some blowout. I was shocked at the difference. Not sure if he is mashing the stick to much. I’m sure Lavey Jr’s response will answer your question.

What prop are you running?

Rbcconst

Reaction score
What prop are you running?

When I ran it with Chris I had a stock 24p bravo. Right now I have a 23p cutting edge 5 blade. Both get it on plane quick without using tabs. I tried a stock 26p but can’t spin it. Not sure if I will just leave the prop alone or if I want to keep messing with it. I’d like to pick up some mph 3800-4100 rpm range. Right now I am about 50mph at 4K with either prop.

Runs2rch

Reaction score
When I ran it with Chris I had a stock 24p bravo. Right now I have a 23p cutting edge 5 blade. Both get it on plane quick without using tabs. I tried a stock 26p but can’t spin it. Not sure if I will just leave the prop alone or if I want to keep messing with it. I’d like to pick up some mph 3800-4100 rpm range. Right now I am about 50mph at 4K with either prop.

At the boat show Chris said they were having great results with the Max5's on the 27/29. Downside is the price. Labbing that 26 is another good option.

Rbcconst

Reaction score
At the boat show Chris said they were having great results with the Max5's on the 27/29. Downside is the price. Labbing that 26 is another good option.

I’d love to try a max5 but not going to drop the $ to just find out if it works. I’d also like to lab the stock 26 I have but it’s quite a process. All the guys who lab want you to give numbers, I’d like to run the boat with someone who labs props. I think you’d be closer. The other issue is testing, when we go out I don’t want to waist half of Saturday dickinng around with the prop. In that particular boat if you have the wrong prop on your day sucks, like when I tried the stock 26p, i needed to turn right back around and take it off.

EBT531

Reaction score
You can use a little tab help roll it over. Have you water tested with him? I would see what he is doing. Hope he isn't hammering it to that 2/3 throttle.

I have not as its in CO where its still snowing. I'm guessing he is as he blew the stock bravo and put a SCX extreme outdrive on it to eliminate further issues.

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score
I have not as its in CO where its still snowing. I'm guessing he is as he blew the stock bravo and put a SCX extreme outdrive on it to eliminate further issues.
Oh yeah I know what boat you’re talking about now. I thought it was weird he had an SCX on a 500EFI boat...

lavey jr

Reaction score

Sounds like he’s on the right track for getting the boat on plane. Except it sounds like one step too much if he’s having to raise the tabs as it’s getting on plane. It could be worded weird and just mean that once he’s on plane he raises the tabs.

Looking at the pictures on the add for that boat, I have no idea what prop is on it. Maybe a Rev 4, I have no idea and whatever prop it is I have no experience running. Speaking as if it was a Bravo 1 prop, a 26 is right in the ballpark for that boat/engine package.

Now as far as getting on plane and how I would do it. On those trim indicators “0” is right around neutral trim for both drive and tabs. I would start by having the tabs at 0 or 1-2 clicks below 0 and the drive all the way down. Roll on to the throttle until the RPM is around 3000-3500 and then just let the prop do the work. Once the prop blows out a little bit monitor your RPM and pull back slightly on the throttle to keep the RPM in the 4000-4200 range or less if possible. And then once you’re on plane raise the tabs back to 0 bring the drive up to 0-3 and then adjust the tabs as needed for stability.

In the video I posted the prop being used was a 28 pitch Max5 powered by a Mercury 600. I had the tabs all the way up and did not need them to get on plane. Although the boat only had about 45-50 gallons of gas, 2 people, tool bag, and life vests.

Now being that the 29 for sale has a full SCX outdrive, you can be a little bit harder on it getting on plane and not really worry about breaking a drive.

As far as props go, the Max5 works amazing!! I would recommend it to anyone. On the 29 in the video I ran a 28 Bravo1 and then switched to the 28 Max5 and picked up 5mph and a lot better handling and all around performance numbers.

Rbcconst

Reaction score
Sounds like he’s on the right track for getting the boat on plane. Except it sounds like one step too much if he’s having to raise the tabs as it’s getting on plane. It could be worded weird and just mean that once he’s on plane he raises the tabs.

Looking at the pictures on the add for that boat, I have no idea what prop is on it. Maybe a Rev 4, I have no idea and whatever prop it is I have no experience running. Speaking as if it was a Bravo 1 prop, a 26 is right in the ballpark for that boat/engine package.

Now as far as getting on plane and how I would do it. On those trim indicators “0” is right around neutral trim for both drive and tabs. I would start by having the tabs at 0 or 1-2 clicks below 0 and the drive all the way down. Roll on to the throttle until the RPM is around 3000-3500 and then just let the prop do the work. Once the prop blows out a little bit monitor your RPM and pull back slightly on the throttle to keep the RPM in the 4000-4200 range or less if possible. And then once you’re on plane raise the tabs back to 0 bring the drive up to 0-3 and then adjust the tabs as needed for stability.

In the video I posted the prop being used was a 28 pitch Max5 powered by a Mercury 600. I had the tabs all the way up and did not need them to get on plane. Although the boat only had about 45-50 gallons of gas, 2 people, tool bag, and life vests.

Now being that the 29 for sale has a full SCX outdrive, you can be a little bit harder on it getting on plane and not really worry about breaking a drive.

As far as props go, the Max5 works amazing!! I would recommend it to anyone. On the 29 in the video I ran a 28 Bravo1 and then switched to the 28 Max5 and picked up 5mph and a lot better handling and all around performance numbers.

Do you think the max5 is good for the 2750 with a 496? Not sure what’s different on the max5 vs the cutting edge besides the cutting edge is half less then half the cost. I didn’t seem a huge increase in mid range cruising speed with the cutting edge over the bravo 1.