WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Laveycraft Motorsports today ...

shueman

Reaction score
Uncle Dave asked me to come down to their shop in Corona today ... talked with him and Chris Camire about the industry and "stuff" ... great people over there !!

They cover both "seasons" and have some other irons in the fire
MVIMG_20180518_110718.jpg

At least they had some "swag" available ... got me a shirt for the Catalina Spring Run
MVIMG_20180518_110659.jpg

MVIMG_20180518_120300.jpg

Lots of boat activity happening ... always good to see this
MVIMG_20180518_101207.jpg

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
Uncle Dave asked me to come down to their shop in Corona today ... talked with him and Chris Camire about the industry and "stuff" ... great people over there !!

View attachment 646082

At least they had some "swag" available ... got me a shirt for the Catalina Spring Run
View attachment 646083
View attachment 646084

View attachment 646087

Is that a flipped over Sebring I spy? Lavey is building my favorite boat right now the 27 Nuera with outboards. If I do a new boat build that is going to be the one. Now I gotta wait for Merc to introduce their new high powered motors...

shueman

Reaction score
They now have the RPM molds and getting ready to build another ...
MVIMG_20180518_101250.jpg

Motor here and transom ready to cut for this one
MVIMG_20180518_101641.jpg

This caught my eye ... maybe it's for the new "parts guy" :)
MVIMG_20180518_101334.jpg

Sorry for the crappy pix ... here's Joe Malich's new RPM in production (right of picture) ... getting 400 Verados
MVIMG_20180518_101441.jpg

Next time back I'll get more in-depth on what's going down ... stay tuned

shueman

Reaction score
Is that a flipped over Sebring I spy? Lavey is building my favorite boat right now the 27 Nuera with outboards. If I do a new boat build that is going to be the one. Now I gotta wait for Merc to introduce their new high powered motors...

Yes it was ... water rocket! Getting the bottom re-done ...

lbhsbz

Reaction score

Pretty sure that's an 18'10" that's getting gone through...Chris mentioned he had another one in when I talked to him about doing my transom a month or so ago.

H2O

Reaction score

I believe the new 2750 hit 88mph with (2) 300xs.

So let's use what, 17 hp per extra 1 mph? (2) 400's = 200/17 = 11 (ish) mph increase?

So to be conservative 95+ with (2) 400's? Maybe even a 100 with the extra rpm of the 400's?

How fast you wanna go? :cool:

BTW - I'm right there with you on the 2750 with outboards. I live on the coast and it would be a killer inshore ocean/lake combo boat. (Will be interesting to see how the new RPM's price out by comparison)

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score

So let's use what, 17 hp per extra 1 mph? (2) 400's = 200/17 = 11 (ish) mph increase?

So to be conservative 95+ with (2) 400's? Maybe even a 100 with the extra rpm of the 400's?

BTW - I'm right there with you on the 2750 with outboards. I live on the coast and it would be a killer inshore ocean/lake combo boat. (Will be interesting to see how the new RPM's price out by comparison)

Merc is going to introduce a new motor based on the 300R V8 before the year is out. I'm hoping 500 horsepower is the #. We will see. I need to do some things before I can pull the trigger anyway but my timing just might be perfect.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Pretty sure that's an 18'10" that's getting gone through...Chris mentioned he had another one in when I talked to him about doing my transom a month or so ago.
Yep, not a Sebring. 18’10, outboard!
Neat little boat someone is putting a lot into. Sentimental value....

They now have the RPM molds and getting ready to build another ...
View attachment 646088

Motor here and transom ready to cut for this one
View attachment 646089

This caught my eye ... maybe it's for the new "parts guy" :)
View attachment 646090

Sorry for the crappy pix ... here's Joe Malich's new RPM in production (right of picture) ... getting 400 Verados
View attachment 646091

Next time back I'll get more in-depth on what's going down ... stay tuned
And on the note of sentimental value. I’d hate to be in the shoes of whoever piles any parts in that van. Ron would bust a vein, lol. LOTS of sentimental value tied up in that van!

Also of interest, that white 21 with the blue flames next to Joes RPM.
That boat was damaged in a fire, they had me spray a new deck for it and replaced just about everything else. Essentially a brand new boat.
Chris told me it was for sale last week...for about 20 minutes:D

shueman

Reaction score
Also of interest, that white 21 with the blue flames next to Joes RPM.
That boat was damaged in a fire, they had me spray a new deck for it and replaced just about everything else. Essentially a brand new boat.
Chris told me it was for sale last week...for about 20 minutes:D

Nothin last long these days ... I really see "small boats" making a big comeback !!

77charger

Reaction score

Yeh but some of that speed will be offsrt by the added weight as well.

Rbcconst

Reaction score
Nothin last long these days ... I really see "small boats" making a big comeback !!

The 24 nuera is one of the best in class. Wouldn’t take much power to make it scream. My cousin has one with a 496 and it scoots. A blast to drive and hammers the rough water pretty good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

lavey jr

Reaction score
The 24 nuera is one of the best in class. Wouldn’t take much power to make it scream. My cousin has one with a 496 and it scoots. A blast to drive and hammers the rough water pretty good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Lavey built a 24 NuEra walk through open bow with an Ilmor 710 and it ran 95+ MPH. Would love to see what a high HP closed bow version would do!

lavey jr

Reaction score

Correct. 88 MPH and rising! Since that run the owner has raised the engines higher and is looking for bigger props to lower the RPM a little bit and also lessen the slip. I bet it'll hit 90 MPH.

As for the 400's and it's added weight on a 2750... Based on the running pictures I've seen on the 300's boat and talking to the people who drove the boat, I think with less engine set back and a little weight moved forward it wouldn't be very hard to get setup properly.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Awesome to meet you in person Mr. "Shueman"!

Listening to you and Chris talk about your history of connections was a ball- thanks for coming by!

Yes thats my Sebring -finished carpeting and finishing up stuff like the stereo and respeakering
I need to find a wheel thats a 34 or larger.
Alexi tells me that its isn't going to be at its best unless I regear it, but Id like to see how big I can go on the 1.50 first.
With 800+ Ft LB in a 2K -ish tunnel - his thing is gonna deliver smackdown.

Yes shop is super busy right now, all used boats that are any good simply sell instantly this time of year.
We were laughing about the phone ringing for used product built in the 08-12 range and the reply is - there are none.

Speaking fo boating stuff between when you were there and today - The dash for the MCOB 29 came out UBER cool.
Building on the theme started with Mosettis 29 the carbon background with matching gauges and matching patter stripe make the information appear to float above the background.

UD

IMG_6206.jpg
IMG_6205.jpg

Runs2rch

Reaction score
Correct. 88 MPH and rising! Since that run the owner has raised the engines higher and is looking for bigger props to lower the RPM a little bit and also lessen the slip. I bet it'll hit 90 MPH.

As for the 400's and it's added weight on a 2750... Based on the running pictures I've seen on the 300's boat and talking to the people who drove the boat, I think with less engine set back and a little weight moved forward it wouldn't be very hard to get setup properly.

So in a 29 what would you prefer? Single or twins? Like the one you guys are rigging now with the 600. Or say a pair of 520's? Or maybe a pair of 570 Ilmors?

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I didn’t know they would run twins in a 29?

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score
They’ve built several 29s with twins. One with twin 600s that ran like 105 or something right? To me though, the twins make the ass end of the boat sit too low in the water with the bow up in the air. The 29 runs really well with a single that it wouldn’t be underpowered IMO. I’ve been wanting to build a 29 for a while now, just waiting for the timing to be right.

lavey jr

Reaction score
So in a 29 what would you prefer? Single or twins? Like the one you guys are rigging now with the 600. Or say a pair of 520's? Or maybe a pair of 570 Ilmors?

It depends. Single for higher HP 600+, or twins for lower HP 520-
There's trade offs for each configuration, it depends what you want to do with the boat and how you want it to handle and perform. The 29 runs better in my opinion with a higher HP single vs higher HP twins. Although twin Merc 400r's would be one sweet ride for sure!

boatnam2

Reaction score
I secured some financing to purchase some LAVEYCRAFT stickers on the storefront i never knew existed, tow rig has went to long without a new sticker.

Albert

Reaction score
My son went there Sat to fetch me some stickers all out if white :(
Hopefully the next batch comes in soon

Runs2rch

Reaction score
It depends. Single for higher HP 600+, or twins for lower HP 520-
There's trade offs for each configuration, it depends what you want to do with the boat and how you want it to handle and perform. The 29 runs better in my opinion with a higher HP single vs higher HP twins. Although twin Merc 400r's would be one sweet ride for sure!

What would the trade offs be? I wouldn't be able to go outboards even though I want to. My wife can't get over losing any amount of swim step.

Does the boat like less weight out back? So a pair of 570 Ilmors would work? Does the twin Big block weight hurt handling?

We boat at Mead and run for long distances, and it gets rough. Having twin engine reliability would be nice. We have a 335 Hallett now with 600's.

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score
What would the trade offs be? I wouldn't be able to go outboards even though I want to. My wife can't get over losing any amount of swim step.

Does the boat like less weight out back? So a pair of 570 Ilmors would work? Does the twin Big block weight hurt handling?

We boat at Mead and run for long distances, and it gets rough. Having twin engine reliability would be nice. We have a 335 Hallett now with 600's.
While I can’t comment on how the boat reacts with twins, I will say the Ilmor 570 has turned out to be kind of a bust. It’s not really any lighter than the 565 Mercury (or any other big block for that matter). If that’s what you were after was a lighter weight twin package...

Runs2rch

Reaction score
While I can’t comment on how the boat reacts with twins, I will say the Ilmor 570 has turned out to be kind of a bust. It’s not really any lighter than the 565 Mercury (or any other big block for that matter). If that’s what you were after was a lighter weight twin package...

The technology/power out of an N/A LS setup mainly. The only boat with them was that Formula. Other than that. Never see them.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
The technology/power out of an N/A LS setup mainly. The only boat with them was that Formula. Other than that. Never see them.
29+ (1) Merc 860= pretty F’n Badass!
Someone needs to build that!

lavey jr

Reaction score
I secured some financing to purchase some LAVEYCRAFT stickers on the storefront i never knew existed, tow rig has went to long without a new sticker.

My son went there Sat to fetch me some stickers all out if white :(
Hopefully the next batch comes in soon

I know Lavey just made a restock order a few days ago so be sure to check back with them to get some stickers

lavey jr

Reaction score

Single engine;
Lower HP in the 520 and bellow won't be super fast because the 29 is a fairly large boat at 30' 6" OAL and also fairly tall. Give it some single engine power 600 HP+ and it runs great speeds! Also, single engine you will retain the added storage in the engine compartment.

Twin engine;
Lower HP in the 520 and bellow range it performs great. Higher HP twins only at higher speeds 95-100+ the boat will start to feel a bit loose. Also, you will lose all storage in the engine compartment and working on the engines becomes a challenge. Out in the rough water the twin engine weight doesn't really affect handling very much at all, it's only affected in the smooth calm water at high speeds. I rode in the twin 600's boat in the ocean going to Catalina and it performed great. I've also boated in a 29 NuEra with twin Merc 496 HO's out at Mead and it was a great boat out there!

These things aren't negative aspects, the 29 was designed to better big single engine and Lavey built their 32 NuEra to be the twin engine only version.

Runs2rch

Reaction score
Single engine;
Lower HP in the 520 and bellow won't be super fast because the 29 is a fairly large boat at 30' 6" OAL and also fairly tall. Give it some single engine power 600 HP+ and it runs great speeds! Also, single engine you will retain the added storage in the engine compartment.

Twin engine;
Lower HP in the 520 and bellow range it performs great. Higher HP twins only at higher speeds 95-100+ the boat will start to feel a bit loose. Also, you will lose all storage in the engine compartment and working on the engines becomes a challenge. Out in the rough water the twin engine weight doesn't really affect handling very much at all, it's only affected in the smooth calm water at high speeds. I rode in the twin 600's boat in the ocean going to Catalina and it performed great. I've also boated in a 29 NuEra with twin Merc 496 HO's out at Mead and it was a great boat out there!

These things aren't negative aspects, the 29 was designed to better big single engine and Lavey built their 32 NuEra to be the twin engine only version.

So if you were building for yourself. Intended use recreational boating, still wanting to ski, wakeboard or pull the kids on tubes which way would you go?

Andy01

Reaction score
Chris and Dave are both great guys to rap with. Chris does a great job and always has been one of the top level finishers in the industry.

Dave I like that dash, call me I have a couple of questions for you. 310-480-4285

lavey jr

Reaction score
So if you were building for yourself. Intended use recreational boating, still wanting to ski, wakeboard or pull the kids on tubes which way would you go?

For that intended purpose plus boating on Mead, I think the moderate power twin might be better suited. With the 29 being a bigger boat and constant towing and getting out of the hole while pulling a load I think the twins would help more. Plus since Mead is very big and can be pretty desolate at times it would give more security on being able to make it back home if one drivetrain ended up crapping out.

Runs2rch

Reaction score
For that intended purpose plus boating on Mead, I think the moderate power twin might be better suited. With the 29 being a bigger boat and constant towing and getting out of the hole while pulling a load I think the twins would help more. Plus since Mead is very big and can be pretty desolate at times it would give more security on being able to make it back home if one drivetrain ended up crapping out.

Would love to come by see this 29 when it is finished or almost finished. Is that possible? Also to talk numbers on a build of course.

lavey jr

Reaction score
Would love to come by see this 29 when it is finished or almost finished. Is that possible? Also to talk numbers on a build of course.

I do not work at Lavey so I cannot personally set up a meeting. Either shoot a message over to Uncle Dave or give me your contact info and I will relay the message to Chris so he can contact you when the new 29 NuEra is near completion, I've already mentioned it to him and he said he's more than happy to give you a tour of the new build and the shop along with discussing numbers.

Christopher Lucero

Reaction score
Yes it was ... water rocket! Getting the bottom re-done ...
YEAH! That's my Sebring. Here's a couple more pix. I can't wait to get it wet again. We're gonna put a new Merc V8 on it.

View attachment 646082

View attachment 646083
View attachment 646084

View attachment 646087
[GALLERY=][GALLERY=][/GALLERY][/GALLERY]

View attachment 646082

View attachment 646083
View attachment 646084

View attachment 646087
YEAH! That there 18'10" Sebring's my boat....Chris took it on back in November . How nice to see the color sand is done!. Last time I was down there it was trued and primed. Here's a history in pictures. Bought off the floor at the 1987 Boat Show in Pomona from Kris Gustavson@VS Marine in Atascadero. Sunk (well, waterlogged it) 4 times - all from lake mead wind storms. Rebuilt and bored/balanced the XR2 to 0.30 over. Bobs nosecone welded and puttied to shape. Merc 3blade 26 pitch. easy 70mph@6400 with a passenger (will tow a skier at 55). Planning a new Merc V8 250 or 300R (300 is 12 lbs lighter).[GALLERY=]
firstday.jpg
The proud new owner - 1987[/GALLERY]
firstday.jpg
IMGA0021.JPG
the key floatie Kris gave me-after 30 years
hitched to mustang.jpg
our rig up until 1995
lakemeadsunset.jpg
one of the calmer moments at sandy point - lake mead
lakemead_out.jpg
tiny

plate.JPG
personalized permanent trailer Plate

atnacimento.JPG
at nacimiento

IMGA0014.JPG

at Pyramid - sandbar - no prob - floats in mere inches of water
20171012_102422.jpg
hooked and headed for resto and repower

20171012_102506.jpg

20171012_102447.jpg

and some resto pix from back in March

20180326_114859.jpg

20180326_114959.jpg

20180326_115007.jpg
20180326_115046.jpg

IMGA0008.JPG
soon...soon

lbhsbz

Reaction score
YEAH! That's my Sebring. Here's a couple more pix. I can't wait to get it wet again. We're gonna put a new Merc V8 on it.

[GALLERY=][GALLERY=][/GALLERY][/GALLERY]

YEAH! That there 18'10" Sebring's my boat....Chris took it on back in November . How nice to see the color sand is done!. Last time I was down there it was trued and primed. Here's a history in pictures. Bought off the floor at the 1987 Boat Show in Pomona from Kris Gustavson@VS Marine in Atascadero. Sunk (well, waterlogged it) 4 times - all from lake mead wind storms. Rebuilt and bored/balanced the XR2 to 0.30 over. Bobs nosecone welded and puttied to shape. Merc 3blade 26 pitch. easy 70mph@6400 with a passenger (will tow a skier at 55). Planning a new Merc V8 250 or 300R (300 is 12 lbs lighter).[GALLERY=] View attachment 667523 The proud new owner - 1987[/GALLERY]
View attachment 667523 View attachment 667524 the key floatie Kris gave me-after 30 years
View attachment 667525 our rig up until 1995
View attachment 667527 one of the calmer moments at sandy point - lake mead
View attachment 667528 tiny

View attachment 667529 personalized permanent trailer Plate

View attachment 667530 at nacimiento

View attachment 667532
at Pyramid - sandbar - no prob - floats in mere inches of water
View attachment 667533 hooked and headed for resto and repower

View attachment 667534

View attachment 667535

and some resto pix from back in March

View attachment 667538

View attachment 667539

View attachment 667540 View attachment 667541

View attachment 667542 soon...soon

Nice, I just bought one....almost finished replacing the transom. I'm seriously considering a new V8 merc...but I'm not sure the boat will like all that weight.

Christopher Lucero

Reaction score
lucky dog (har)
30 years and still every person that sees it says - 'that's a really nice boat'...some didn't like the 2-stroke fuming, but a new 4banger should fix that

Christopher Lucero

Reaction score
Nice, I just bought one....almost finished replacing the transom. I'm seriously considering a new V8 merc...but I'm not sure the boat will like all that weight.
lbhsbz, i sure feel like the sebring can easily accommodate an extra 140 lbs on the back. on my renovation, i had chris and ron build up the transom just in case, though.

Goodtime$

Reaction score
My river neighbor Kent has a bad ass 1999 Lavey mod vp open bow - 225 opti
best ski boat i have even driven or skied behind hands down. May be for sale soon.......with river house sad.
IMG_8503.jpg