WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Leaf filters on rain gutters.

bocco

Reaction score
Who has them? What works? What doesn't?

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Funny you ask because I've been curious to know how many people actually have them. The tv ads for it run incessantly , figured they must sell a ton of them🤔🤷‍♂️ running ads that often.

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
Do they work for cactus needles and palm frond? If not..... I am out

Reactions: mjc

squirtnmyload

now its recording
Reaction score
I have them with seamless gutters. Our house is surrounded by yuge oaks, maple, etc so fall is a real bitch. We do have metal roofs on all of our structures so leaves don’t bunch up that much, only around the snow guards but even then the wind will blow them off eventually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Taboma

Reaction score
Gutter screens were part of the Amended Fire Codes passed after the San Diego 2007 Witch Creek fire for all us rebuilding. We all grumbled initially as it was yet another expense heaped on by all the other additional code requirements, but in truth, they work awesome and with some of my gutters extremely difficult to access, I'm glad I have them.
Not sure which brand, they installed them along with my seamless gutter, but they're a mesh design and snap in. No problems so far 11 years later and no leaves in my gutters to clean out either. 👍

caribbean20

Reaction score
I was about to spend $4K on some fancy smanshy stainless steel filters and extra wide gutter sections. Got into it with the install crew about painting the new gutter section and sent them packing.

Said fuk it and bought this instead. A lot cheaper and kinda fun too.

7B48FEE6-F429-4EC5-82A9-35288E25FA86.png

OLDRAAT

inadequate member
Reaction score
Not so good if you have a lot of pine needles, they will go around the curve sometimes. JMO

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
We get a lot of crap falling from trees up in the SoCal Mountains and I've considered these to keep that crap out, because cleaning the gutters is no fun, but the concern I have is with winter (you know, frozen water). If it starts raining first, then gets cold enough to snow (which is really typical where I am) would that freeze up the gutter covers and now you have waterfalls of ice from the gutters?

I know the covers are plastic, but water can build layers of ice on them as well if the temp drops into slush conditions then gets colder. So thats keeping me from buying them.

squirtnmyload

now its recording
Reaction score
We get a lot of crap falling from trees up in the SoCal Mountains and I've considered these to keep that crap out, because cleaning the gutters is no fun, but the concern I have is with winter (you know, frozen water). If it starts raining first, then gets cold enough to snow (which is really typical where I am) would that freeze up the gutter covers and now you have waterfalls of ice from the gutters?

I know the covers are plastic, but water can build layers of ice on them as well if the temp drops into slush conditions then gets colder. So thats keeping me from buying them.

The leaf guards i have are aluminum. We get a bunch of snow/sleet and gutter heaters solves that issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rrrr

Reaction score
Just cut down all the trees, no leaves no problem.😂

That's what I did two.years ago. Big ass elm tree in the front yard...gone! Now I just need to cut down my neighbor's oak trees and I'll be in good shape.

😁

CarolynandBob

Reaction score
Our place has hundreds of trees. We get a lot of leaves.

Had the plastic ones that snap in last year. They lasted only a year. This year I had a gutter company put the metal screw in type in. They work much better.

I have 82 ft of gutter on the house and 80 ft on the shop. Can't remember what the online quote was for leaf filter, but it was thousands. ( I think 3800)

I talked to people in town and they all said to call servall company. They cleaned out the gutters and installed the metal ones. Total was $750. They do not look hard to install. Just put them on and sheet metal self-tapers and done. Took 2 guy about 1.5 hrs.

They look something like this.
download.jpg

stingray11

Reaction score
Our place has hundreds of trees. We get a lot of leaves.

Had the plastic ones that snap in last year. They lasted only a year. This year I had a gutter company put the metal screw in type in. They work much better.

I have 82 ft of gutter on the house and 80 ft on the shop. Can't remember what the online quote was for leaf filter, but it was thousands. ( I think 3800)

I talked to people in town and they all said to call servall company. They cleaned out the gutters and installed the metal ones. Total was $750. They do not look hard to install. Just put them on and sheet metal self-tapers and done. Took 2 guy about 1.5 hrs.

They look something like this.
View attachment 1048237
This, They work really well I have them on both my houses.Easy to install.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk
View attachment 1048238

farmo83

Reaction score
I redid all of my gutters a few years ago with seemless gutters and added leaf guards. The kind I have is similar to the above pictures and they were a decently priced add on. I have ton's of pines and the leaf guards are worth every penny.

Dkahnjob

Reaction score
I just had them installed on my house. It hasn't rained yet so can't say how they work, but the concept sounds good. Note: their prices are very negotiable.
I just did part of the house where the trees are and they quoted me something like $2,750 and I ended up paying about $750.00

motormonkey

Reaction score
I have the plastic ones that pop in, work pretty good until it rains hard. Then they just let all the stuff and rain pour off like you have no gutter :rolleyes:

zbudman

Coors Light Strong
Reaction score
I put them on and dirt, fine dirt and dust, got through and weeds started growing up through the mesh. Kept the leaves out though.

angiebaby

Mountain Mama
Reaction score
A guy came to my parent's house in Idaho last week to give them a quote. $6500. They have a modest 2300 sq. ft home. It's two stories. So not a lot of gutters. I don't know how many feet of gutter space, but $6500 sounds like a complete rip-off. Of course, if they said "Yes" on the day of the quote, they'd get $1000 off. Still a rip-off and I detest a hard sell. I think the contractor is taking advantage of the elderly. Also, when the guy shows up in a beat-up Hyundai, I have concerns. Thankfully, they decided to wait. I told them they can hire someone to clean them every fall for many years, probably 20, for $5500 dollars.

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
I am running the fine stainless mesh ones from Costco. Been great for the 8 years I've had them. The price was right also.