WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Leaking Trim Pump Reservoir

farmo83

Reaction score
So I opened my boat up this past weekend to find the bilge full of fluid from my beloved trim pump. I?m thinking my reservoir leaking based on the following.

1.It leaked over the winter when pump wasn?t working
2.The amount of fluid that leaked out far exceeds what those hoses could hold
3. Also I would think if the hydraulic hoses had lost all fluid the outdrive would fall to the ground?

Are these reservoir?s leaking a common issue ?

So to fix this is this something I need to get a whole new pump or can just get a new reservoir? I?ve thought of taking the reservoir off, finding the leak and epoxying it as well 20170416_110529.jpg

Headless hula

I’ve found boating heaven in Florida!
Reaction score
I bought a new reservoir. It's machined aluminum and clear acrylic. Ran right around 200 bucks, but no more Exxon valdez bilge....

TrojanDan

Reaction score
Happened on our boat. I believe Absolute replaced just the plastic reservoir. Common problem.

Riley1

Reaction score
I had to replace the reservoir on mine last year. 4 screws and an o-ring.

Ballyhoo

Reaction score
I had to replace the reservoir on mine last year. 4 screws and an o-ring.
Older post but I need to replace my reservoir tank. It has the 4 screws on top. Is it a straight forward replacement? Just take out the four screws, replace o ring and new reservoir? Do I need to take the whole assembly out or can I replace it without removing the whole assembly? (motor and reservoir) Thanks

Riley1

Reaction score
Older post but I need to replace my reservoir tank. It has the 4 screws on top. Is it a straight forward replacement? Just take out the four screws, replace o ring and new reservoir? Do I need to take the whole assembly out or can I replace it without removing the whole assembly? (motor and reservoir) Thanks
It’s been awhile. But I’m fairly sure that it was a straight forward swap. I know for certain that I did it in the bilge and did not remove the pump.

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score

its a simple swap with the 4 screws, but there is a tube that goes down into the bottom of the reservoir, if its mounted low like in the above picture, you'll probably have to unbolt/unscrew it from the transom (some are mounted onto a plate that mounts to the floor...) in order to actually get the old tank off and put the new one on.

Ballyhoo

Reaction score
its a simple swap with the 4 screws, but there is a tube that goes down into the bottom of the reservoir, if its mounted low like in the above picture, you'll probably have to unbolt/unscrew it from the transom (some are mounted onto a plate that mounts to the floor...) in order to actually get the old tank off and put the new one on.

Thanks to both of you for the quick replies.

MagicMan

Reaction score
I replaced my trim pump reservoir last season, no more leaks. Putting boat away last weekend and found leak is back. Could not see anything leaking on pump hoses or immediate area. Could ir be the reservoir again 🤦‍♂️ ??

Havasu Catman

Reaction score
I replaced my trim pump reservoir last season, no more leaks. Putting boat away last weekend and found leak is back. Could not see anything leaking on pump hoses or immediate area. Could ir be the reservoir again 🤦‍♂️ ??
It can be leaking from the reservoir or the back of the pump. If you take the 2 3/8 bolts off the back of the bracket you can separate the pump and reservoir from the bracket. There are 2 plugs on the back side of the pump that leak. They are not serviceable and the pump will need to be replaced. When they leak it runs down onto the reservoir and makes you think the reservoir is leaking but in reality it is higher up.

MagicMan

Reaction score
It can be leaking from the reservoir or the back of the pump. If you take the 2 3/8 bolts off the back of the bracket you can separate the pump and reservoir from the bracket. There are 2 plugs on the back side of the pump that leak. They are not serviceable and the pump will need to be replaced. When they leak it runs down onto the reservoir and makes you think the reservoir is leaking but in reality it is higher up.
Thanks for the advice, gonna check it out when I'm out there next week. Where can I get a new pump in havasu am I better off ordering now?

colenighthawk

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, gonna check it out when I'm out there next week. Where can I get a new pump in havasu am I better off ordering now?

I know this is an old tread, but my trim pump started leaking from the same spot I think. I've replaced the plastic reservoir and no change. How much the pump cost and where did you ended up getting it from.
Thsnks

ChrisV

Reaction score
I know this is an old tread, but my trim pump started leaking from the same spot I think. I've replaced the plastic reservoir and no change. How much the pump cost and where did you ended up getting it from.
Thsnks