WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Leaving a Diesel in havasu for towing

MooreMoney

Reaction score
I am contemplating leaving a Diesel out in Havasu full time for all the towing needs. The truck isn't going to be used for months at a time because it will only be used to towing.

Can the new Diesels go months without starting or running? What should i be on the lookout for?

thanks

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
They are waaaay better than letting a gas engine sit.

rvrrun

Reaction score
I remember selling cases of diesel treatment when I worked for an auto parts store in high school. The fuel would grow algae if left sitting too long was the reason they gave. I have no idea if this is true or still a problem, but that's all I can think of other than a battery tender on the batteries.

OLDRAAT

inadequate member
Reaction score
Give it a shot of some diesel treatment and maybe some cetane and (or stabil if the other product does not provide extended storage), hook up a float charger, air up the tires and say goodnight.

Dose it before you fill up and drive it a bit. It also will continue to protect after you put it away again, until your next top off.

Good Luck

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
The price of new and used diesels vs gassers don't seem to make it pencil out to me if you are just using to tow around town and what not.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Wadernation

Reaction score
my folks leave a duramax in colorado for most of the year in a garage. They dont seem to have issues when they visit and use it. Battery tender is used.

Dalton

Reaction score
The price of new and used diesels vs gassers don't seem to make it pencil out to me if you are just using to tow around town and what not.

Plenty of sport chassis, mini big rigs sitting in havasu waiting to be used once a year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wet hull

Reaction score
I think the issue will be months at a time with no use. You need to solve that problem first and the rest will work itself out.:D

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score

My thoughts too. An HD Gasser right now can be had for about 10K

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Plenty of sport chassis, mini big rigs sitting in havasu waiting to be used once a year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm not saying it can't or shouldn't be done. I'm just saying I think you'd be much more $ ahead with leaving a gasser out there for that since their resale value right now is substantially cheaper.

Runs2rch

Reaction score
If it is a 6.0 Ford I wouldn't. The variable vane turbo gets angry from sitting. The vanes rust, then won't open close. PIA to remove an r and r.

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
If you are not pulling long distances, the above comments are right. Just buy a decent condition f 250/350 with the V10 for 8 to 15 grand and not worry about it. The increased fuel costs will be pennies compared to a diesel. I tow a modest amount and was seriously considering this exact option before stumbling into my current (1997 Powerstroke) truck. If you do the math you would be surprised at how many miles a year you can drive a truck getting 10 MPG gas vs a 15 MPG diesel. Look at many of the fleets like PG&E, they use all gas because the diesel doesn't pencil out when you include maintenance and such.

I know, its just not as cool to not have the huge lifted new every three year diesel but is this about being cool or practical?

575cat

Reaction score
Get a gas newer diesel & sitting not good , Urea , VGT,s minimal regen,s trouble .

rvrrun

Reaction score
If you are not pulling long distances, the above comments are right. Just buy a decent condition f 250/350 with the V10 for 8 to 15 grand and not worry about it. The increased fuel costs will be pennies compared to a diesel. I tow a modest amount and was seriously considering this exact option before stumbling into my current (1997 Powerstroke) truck. If you do the math you would be surprised at how many miles a year you can drive a truck getting 10 MPG gas vs a 15 MPG diesel. Look at many of the fleets like PG&E, they use all gas because the diesel doesn't pencil out when you include maintenance and such.

I know, its just not as cool to not have the huge lifted new every three year diesel but is this about being cool or practical?
This is a boating site, is it ever about being practical?

DLow

Single Barrel Dweller
Reaction score
For about a 3 year time period I would let my 03 DMax sit for 4-5 months at a time. Left a tender on it and kept the tank full with truck and tires covered. I had absolutely zero issues. I now drive the truck daily.

Your ad here

Reaction score
Only thing I would be concerned about is the DEF fluid going bad. I guess it has a shelf life.

MooreMoney

Reaction score
Nothing really makes financial sense anymore since I moved to Texas a year ago. It use to be prettt easy to drive to Havasu every weekend when living in LA.

Now I don’t really think about the cost just ease of use.

If I want to go to Powell or tow back to Texas I want the right equipment to get the job done for all needs.

Looks like some fuel stabilized and a battery tender and I shouldn’t have any major problems. It’s going to be stored indoors so I feel good about tires not cracking in the sun.

Advantage 1

Reaction score
Anyone you would trust to leave the keys to fire her up once a week or so? Send them the keys and some $$ for their favorite drink :)