WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Lemoore California Explosion

HTTP404

New But Seasoned Inmate #2002
Reaction score
How does that happen with a water tank?

Icky

Reaction score
I first thought it was waste water and maybe they had methane explode. But it sounds like it was fresh water in all the articles I saw, which confuses my small brain

4Waters

Reaction score
Fixed it because someone's feelings got hurt, that person should know that in reality I ment no harm in my post as I have been posting here for quite a while.

Last edited:

4Waters

Reaction score
If you look close there is fire inside that tank, you can see it just as it's flipping over. There are explanations as to how something flammable got into the water but what ignited it inside of the tank?

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
I would imagine there’s an air space at the top of that water tank, just needs a little fuel and spark.

rrrr

Reaction score
I would imagine there’s an air space at the top of that water tank, just needs a little fuel and spark.

I'm guessing from the presence of the boom lift, the welding was being done above the water level. I don't know how flammable gases became concentrated in the void space, but it's pretty clear that's what happened.

bonesfab

Reaction score
It doesn't take much to blow up a tank. I blew up a gas tank in my face that had been empty for 3-4 months. Previous day I drilled and tapped the fuel outlet bigger. Next day installed the tank and took one 10/32 screw out of the sending unit to hook up a ground wire. Bbq lighter to the shrink tube and we had a big bang. No fire just kaboom. Blew the t-bucket body into pieces and I went to the er for some stitches. Fill the fucking things to the top with water now. No more boom,

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
It doesn't take much to blow up a tank. I blew up a gas tank in my face that had been empty for 3-4 months. Previous day I drilled and tapped the fuel outlet bigger. Next day installed the tank and took one 10/32 screw out of the sending unit to hook up a ground wire. Bbq lighter to the shrink tube and we had a big bang. No fire just kaboom. Blew the t-bucket body into pieces and I went to the er for some stitches. Fill the fucking things to the top with water now. No more boom,
Could you have purged the tank with Argon?
Actually after rereading that I guess I wouldn’t of thought any better just melting some shrink tube damn.

bonesfab

Reaction score
Could you have purged the tank with Argon?
Actually after rereading that I guess I wouldn’t of thought any better just melting some shrink tube damn.

I am sure that would have helped. Didn't think anything of it. It was empty for a while. First words out of my mouth were " There goes all the profit on this job."

shunter2005

Reaction score
My wife's cousin's husband was killed the same way. He was supposed to do some welding on the top of their church water tank. I never got all the details, but when he started welding, the entire top of the tank blew off. Tossed him over 300 ft. in the air. Methane is damn powerful.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
It kinda looks like the tank has a bladder inside it for the water (not unheard of in smaller tanks and I'd imagine has a lot of advantages to having such). If that's the case, it really makes you wonder how gas was in between the tank and bladder and how did it get there....

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
Hopefully they’ll be able to piece together what happened and learn from it. Tough deal for the families involved.🙁

Howardflat

Bad MFer
Reaction score
Rumor I heard was the water in the area when treated with chlorine off gassed hydrogen sulphide which is flammable. Which has a very rotten egg smell in large PPM.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
Dion posted on the carpenters fb page a very short time before the accident. He had his 13 year old son on site in the trailer. It’s crazy how quickly a day can change. I have a lot of emotions going on today. Sucks

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score
I first thought it was waste water and maybe they had methane explode. But it sounds like it was fresh water in all the articles I saw, which confuses my small brain
This 👇
It's not unheard of for water that's pumped out of the ground to have methane in it.

This is what im going to go with also. I know that some shallow wells pull methane from the ground (well house explosions). This may have been an accumulation of naturally occurring methane.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score

4BDEDB42-29A6-483C-988F-4A3C9DB4E32E.png

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score
I can already see CAL-OSHA having a field day with this. It’s common practice to test the air before you enter or work on a tank. Really sad situation that could’ve been avoided with a sniffer

63B4F175-5A2C-4A2A-8B0D-F29131B0AEAE.jpeg

Havasu blue label

Reaction score
Always test air and ventilation now days everybody is a certified welder rip in peace

FreeBird236

Reaction score
It kinda looks like the tank has a bladder inside it for the water (not unheard of in smaller tanks and I'd imagine has a lot of advantages to having such). If that's the case, it really makes you wonder how gas was in between the tank and bladder and how did it get there....

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
I'm going to guess that's a 3 -5 million gal. tank, not likely to have any kind of bladder, still it obviously had some kind of gas build-up.

Looking Glass

1 = Well = Known = Member
Reaction score
You have been here 6 months and have 3600... He's been here approaching 5 years with 16.5K. Do the = MATHS as to who astually posts more on a daily basis.

You actually post more than I do.

Squeaky, it was All In Fun. Slow Down. Everything is under Control here.

You have your Hands Full Posting in every other Thread Out There. 🤔

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
That’s what I call a “Bad Career Day” lol 😂

rrrr

Reaction score
Rumor I heard was the water in the area when treated with chlorine off gassed hydrogen sulphide which is flammable. Which has a very rotten egg smell in large PPM.

Can't happen.

Chlorine treatment of hydrogen sulfide infused water destroys the chemical bond between hydrogen and sulphur. The hydrogen bonds to the chlorine molecule, and the result is elemental sulphur, which precipitates out of the water as a solid. The sulphur can then be removed by normal filtration.

Methane is the most likely cause of the explosion.

riverroyal

Reaction score
fellow pipefitter and welder. RIP.
No bladder, typical storage tank. Some type of gases inside. Could be ground methane, numerous things.

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score
Interesting…..

Said Olson: “I can’t talk about what the welder did or didn’t do. That’s part of their investigation, but (the tank) definitely had some type of gas buildup.”

Olson added that city officials are now monitoring a nearby tank, but have not discovered any gas in that structure, although it held “the same water from the same well.”

riverroyal

Reaction score
what the welder did or didnt do? He is a welder, not a safety manager. It should say what the contractor did or did not do