WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

LEO's Clear Up Carpool Lane Line Desigantions

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
At the carpool lanes I understand the double yellow lines and the broken white lines, but what about a solid single wide white line or double wide white lines?
Are the double white lines basically the same as a double yellow line and the same applies for a solid single wide white line also? Or is it okay to cross over the white lines?
On the San Bernardino freeway going through Montclair and Ontario they've got all these different lines going on through there and it gets pretty confusing if you can enter the lane or not.

Last edited:

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
White hashed lines are OK to cross. Thats it.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Well... according the the original meaning for the different lines and colors, there should have never been a double yellow to delineate the car pool lane. The yellow color is to indicate a separation between the directions of travel on a road way whereas a white line indicates a separation of the same direction of traffic. a solid line, of either color, indicated you cannot cross the line.

I believe the original intent of going with the double yellows is because the connotation of absolutely cannot cross them when in fact they should have just been double whites.

Singleton

Reaction score
Well... according the the original meaning for the different lines and colors, there should have never been a double yellow to delineate the car pool lane. The yellow color is to indicate a separation between the directions of travel on a road way whereas a white line indicates a separation of the same direction of traffic. a solid line, of either color, indicated you cannot cross the line.

I believe the original intent of going with the double yellows is because the connotation of absolutely cannot cross them when in fact they should have just been double whites.

but wait is get more fun

the double yellow is after the solid white.
the way I read it, the double yellow limits your ability to cross over into the carpool line.
the solid white controls what vehicles in the carpool lane can do.
I have seen white dashes controlling car pool lane (allows you to exit lane), but then 2 solid yellows (keeps you from entering car pool lane)

Taboma

Reaction score
but wait is get more fun

the way I read it, the double yellow limits your ability to cross over into the carpool line.
I have seen white dashes controlling car pool lane (allows you to exit lane), but then 2 solid yellows (keeps you from entering car pool lane)

One explanation for yellow or double yellow which as stated above, yellow is for separation of direction of flow.
Some car pool / HOV lanes are bi-directional depending on traffic flow due to wrecks, or time of day work traffic. I-15 San Diego is one such example.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
but wait is get more fun

The double lines are to indicate which side of the line can do what. Think of a 2 lane road where one side is dashed and the other is solid. If you have the dashed side, you can cross and pass if clear. Same rules apply to white lines. The rules are actually very standardized and much more simple than people think. The white line was added to help alleviate some confusion with driving on the left side of a yellow line (a yellow line should ALWAYS be on your left side if you are in the U.S.), The intent of the carpool lane stripping is to eliminate cars entering and exiting from it whenever they see fit. According to the law, you are only allowed to cross a dashed line. ANY solid line cannot be crossed except in an emergency or a legal turn.

Dettom

Reaction score
Carpool lanes are stupid and have outlived their usefulness. Only about 17% of cars use them. If they would open them up, traffic would flow more freely everywhere. The main reason they use them now is to generate revenue for an already over regulated and over taxed state. IMHO.

hallett21

Reaction score
Ok so then what’s with the double double yellows? You get 2 tickets for crossing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nowski

Reaction score
Lots of single riders in the HOV lanes especially on Friday afternoons. Looks like a lot of low hanging fruit to put into those coffer$...

LowRiver2

Reaction score
Carpool lanes are stupid and have outlived their usefulness. Only about 17% of cars use them. If they would open them up, traffic would flow more freely everywhere. The main reason they use them now is to generate revenue for an already over regulated and over taxed state. IMHO.
Hush🤣
That fast track on the 10 from downtown to the 605 is a major timesaver (Yes I pay and have transponder🤣)

LowRiver2

Reaction score
Lots of single riders in the HOV lanes especially on Friday afternoons. Looks like a lot of low hanging fruit to put into those coffer$...
10 freeway out of downtown from Alameda is a cash cow for CHP
But make no mistake, after 10 signs and 10 plus roadway painted signs defining it’s HOV, no excuse to drive in it.

boatpi

Reaction score
I’ve had a plug-in hybrid car for my wife to use in sales calls for years you can’t beat it single carpool line there’s a lot to choose from now out there.

LowRiver2

Reaction score
Ok so then what’s with the double double yellows? You get 2 tickets for crossing?

Look at at that as curbed island / planter, etc.
Never seen a commissioner throw out a double solid crossing contest

2Driver

Reaction score
AZ carpool lanes are solid white everywhere, you go in and out as you please.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Negative ghost rider. AZ has the same law when it refers to lane markings. AZ just didn't have their head up their ass when they made them and used the correct markings for them.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Pelon

Reaction score
You can cross any line you like, it just depends on who is watching. You're an adult, I'm assuming with two eyes and some common sense. Those lines are for the idiots without either.

Tough to see those CHP's with no roof mounted light bars a few cars behind you when you are stuck in traffic. That was an expensive ticket for being impatient!

2Driver

Reaction score
Negative ghost rider. AZ has the same law when it refers to lane markings. AZ just didn't have their head up their ass when they made them and used the correct markings for them.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Then I don't get it because all I've ever seen in solid lines. Chit, if cops are coming out to arrest people these days who cares anyway :)
lane.JPG

Wizard29

43' Eliminator
Reaction score
Crossing over any solid line that is adjacent and immediately next to your direction of travel is illegal. If you have a dashed line next to your lane and a solid line on the other side of it, then I believe that it is legal to exit the lane, but you cannot go back into it. Kind of like passing on a two lane road. Dashed on your side means okay to pass even though the line may be solid on the other side. That means the guy coming the opposite direction cannot pass in that area.

Most carpool lanes should have dashed lines all the way so you can enter and exit as you need to. Some areas are doing this and it's a better strategy. The way some of them are set up, you only get a very short distance to get out of the carpool lane and over to the exit you want to get off the freeway.

When the line finally turns dashed, you have to then merge over three or four lanes of traffic quickly to make your exit. Definitely not as safe as just making the lane dashed all the way so you can start merging over well in advance of your exit.

I got a ticket once on the 210 for exiting the lane over solid lines so I could actually make my exit in time. In reality, the paint had worn off on some of the concrete bridge crossings and technically there were no lines in those areas. The judge only half bought that reasoning and reduced my fine by 50%.

hallett21

Reaction score
Look at at that as curbed island / planter, etc.
Never seen a commissioner throw out a double solid crossing contest

I figured the painting contractors were just charging double lol

havasuhusker

Reaction score
Arizona HOV lanes are all solid white and AZ rules are not like California's....

"Do not confuse Arizona HOV rule/law with a state such as California where there are certain entry/exit areas for and HOV lane. In Arizona you may enter and exit the HOV lane at any point as long as you are in compliance with ARS 28-737A: Except as provided in sections 28-2416 and 28-2416.01 and subsections B, C and D of this section, a person shall not drive a vehicle carrying fewer than two persons, including the driver, in a high occupancy vehicle lane at any time the use of the high occupancy vehicle lane is restricted to vehicles carrying two or more persons, including the driver."

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
Ticket to ride, white line highway
Tell all your friends, that they can go my way
Pay your toll, sell your soul
Pound for pound, costs more than gold
The longer you stay, the more you pay
My white lines, go a long way
Either up your nose or through your vein
With nothin' to gain, except killin' your brain
:cool:

Jimmyv

Reaction score
“Carpool”
Like folks from more than one household utilizing a shared vehicle??

I Think Newsom outlawed that. At best, their ‘familypool’ lanes now.
And I think you have to all wear masks and drive with the windows down.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Then I don't get it because all I've ever seen in solid lines. Chit, if cops are coming out to arrest people these days who cares anyway :)
View attachment 964980
Arizona HOV lanes are all solid white and AZ rules are not like California's....

"Do not confuse Arizona HOV rule/law with a state such as California where there are certain entry/exit areas for and HOV lane. In Arizona you may enter and exit the HOV lane at any point as long as you are in compliance with ARS 28-737A: Except as provided in sections 28-2416 and 28-2416.01 and subsections B, C and D of this section, a person shall not drive a vehicle carrying fewer than two persons, including the driver, in a high occupancy vehicle lane at any time the use of the high occupancy vehicle lane is restricted to vehicles carrying two or more persons, including the driver."
I stand corrected. I looked it up briefly but didn't find what husker found there.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Melloyellovector

Reaction score
The area your talking about is under construction.
Carpool lane actually ends shortly after Pomona.
The solid white lines all over the freeway, are lane controls. Meaning we’re working and this shits about to get real. swerve left, right, split lanes to other side of freeway to back over the other side. Meaning it’s enough work just to maintain the lane your in. No passing. No nothing. Just follow the white lines to the next opening.

Big B Hova

HOSS
Reaction score
LA county some of the freeways yoy can't even see the lines anymore so you can do what ever the fuck you want. Seems like people love to do donuts on the 118fwy in porter ranch

River Runnin

Reaction score
Yellow lines are worth $500 to them FukHeads in CA if you cross em! .... ask how I know! :mad: ... And its probably more now!

jet496

Reaction score
This isn't related to the carpool lanes but very few people know this & my family always starts screaming at me when I do it (LOL.):

You may turn left across a single set of double yellow lines to enter or exit a driveway, make a U-turn, or into or out of a private road. Safely is the key & have 200 ft clear line of sight.

Comes in real handy while some would drive 5 miles to turn around at an intersection when it's legal to simply make a U-turn or turn into a driveway assuming it's safe.

It's also legal to change lanes, safely, while in the middle of an intersection but it is frowned upon.

Wayn-o

Reaction score
Let’s just be clear, traffic engineers don’t have much common sense.

Danger Dave

Sarcastically Optimistic 😁
Reaction score
If you have expired tags, bald tires, and no insurance do the same rules apply?

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
If you can't cross a solid white line, then you can't use the carpool on ramp.