WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Let's talk about potential Supply Chain issues.

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
As this COVID-19 aka (The Red Plague) affects other countries what do you foresee?

I assume latin american countries won't be so well prepared. I'm guessing much of our fresh fruit will get scarce.

Now that the state wants you to Stay The Fuck Home, less people will be out. Less shoppers for products. More stores close, because there's no customers. Less stores open to serve everyone...so the pressure on the supermarkets will increase.

If your store's products come from overseas....and now those products aren't arriving.... maybe you have to close. This web is gonna unweave in ways we haven't thought of yet.

buck35

Reaction score
I farm Sweet cherries, although a small operation I'm generally 60 k in the hole by the time it's harvested and wondering if the crop will even sell in this market/ climate. The wife's small business is all but shut down and my retirement fund has been decimated. Frankly I'm getting very worried.

cofooter

Reaction score
Damn, that sucks, hope this blows over fast for you and the other farmers!

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
We just bought some fresh Tuna from a local fisherman. My daughter is friends with his daughter. He normally sells to restaurants. That side of his business is way way down. So they put the word out around town. I now have $40 of fresh yellowtail slabs in the fridge.

But I just see that kind of issue getting bigger. China supplies so much of our stuff...

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I can't remember which inmate, but someone here was commercial import/produce...big boat stuff.

The supply chain deal will maybe get people to spend a little bit more, but buy products from their neighbors. The way I see it, If I survive to bitch about how bad things are, means I'm still alive. That's a good starting point.

MSum661

Reaction score
May or may not be related to overseas supply chain.....but it could.

I saw something tonight that made me go "huh, wth???"
China had a scheduled Interest rate decision to make this evening for their benchmark base rate for new bank loans.
Analyst were predicting a cut of at least 5 basis points but unexpectedly decided to leave the rate unchanged at 4.05%
Everybody knows the entire Globe has been dropping rates like a falling chainsaw but China held steady.
Bizarre.

caribbean20

Reaction score
May or may not be related to overseas supply chain.....but it could.

I saw something tonight that made me go "huh, wth???"
China had a scheduled Interest rate decision to make this evening for their benchmark base rate for new bank loans.
Analyst were predicting a cut of at least 5 basis points but unexpectedly decided to leave the rate unchanged at 4.05%
Everybody knows the entire Globe has been dropping rates like a falling chainsaw but China held steady.
Bizarre.
Likely trying to defend the value of the yuan vs. $. I just checked and it is $1 = 7.08 yuan. Yuan has depreciated precipitously against the $ so they have to keep interest rates high. That’s my 2 cents worth.

MSum661

Reaction score
Likely trying to defend the value of the yuan vs. $. I just checked and it is $1 = 7.08 yuan. Yuan has depreciated precipitously against the $ so they have to keep interest rates high. That’s my 2 cents worth.

That would make sense. Indicative of their failing economy.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
I can't remember which inmate, but someone here was commercial import/produce...big boat stuff.

The supply chain deal will maybe get people to spend a little bit more, but buy products from their neighbors. The way I see it, If I survive to bitch about how bad things are, means I'm still alive. That's a good starting point.

That would be @Bear Down
All I know air freight from Germany jumped 400%.

hallett21

Reaction score
Everyone talks shit about CA. Pretty excited to know how much food we grow etc.

And yea yea I know we export a ton. Well if the borders close us CA locals can march on up to a field and pick it lol. And I plan on paying the farmer direct in cash [emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RodnJen

Reaction score
We just bought some fresh Tuna from a local fisherman. My daughter is friends with his daughter. He normally sells to restaurants. That side of his business is way way down. So they put the word out around town. I now have $40 of fresh yellowtail slabs in the fridge.

But I just see that kind of issue getting bigger. China supplies so much of our stuff...
I’m looking for the same this weekend. A local market supplies restaurants here, hope to throw them some business.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Everyone talks shit about CA. Pretty excited to know how much food we grow etc.

And yea yea I know we export a ton. Well if the borders close us CA locals can march on up to a field and pick it lol. And I plan on paying the farmer direct in cash [emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The middle of Cali is the part I like...the Central Valley is really one of my favorite areas, because it is the most like farmland from other states. If Sacramento would let them have their water, and keep the damn "Bullet Train to Nowhere" out, it would be better.

1manshow

Reaction score
The middle of Cali is the part I like...the Central Valley is really one of my favorite areas, because it is the most like farmland from other states. If Sacramento would let them have their water, and keep the damn "Bullet Train to Nowhere" out, it would be better.
Amen Monkey!! We live in the bread basket of the world and they want to dry up 1 million acres of the best farmland in the world😢😢. The worst part is our government is letting the water run out to the ocean 😡😡😡😡

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
In my simple minded opinion the supply chain infrastructure is there and doing just fine. The over regulation and over taxation of businesses in this country has driven too much critical manufacturing overseas.
I had no idea so many of our medical supplies and drug compounds were made overseas. I guess it shouldn’t surprise me because so much of the crap in our daily lives is made overseas.
Short term every day life may be a pain in the ass for a while but in the end I think we will come back stronger than ever.

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
So I guess we know what your planB is.🤔

I have Lake Mathews a couple miles away. I guess some midnight fishing could take place if needed.😎
Is that anything like midnight basketball?😊

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Amen Monkey!! We live in the bread basket of the world and they want to dry up 1 million acres of the best farmland in the world😢😢. The worst part is our government is letting the water run out to the ocean 😡😡😡😡
Late 90's my wife was at Fresno State(Girl friend then). I used to drive up and spend weekends there. On Saturday mornings she'd have workout still (athletic scholarship) and I'd get up and cruise around Sanger and the other outlying areas. Groves and fields everywhere, far cry from where we grew up near LA. Wife to be wanted to move back south, so I bought my first house in Riverside, and we got married a month after she graduated. Flash forward 12 years, and she was finally sick of the big city. No groves here, but the hills and grass land is a lot like the area headed into the hills by Mariposa. Things have changed up there now too. Big interchanges and housing tracts. Too many people, unless you can own a farm to live on. A lot of money, and I'm not good with growing stuff...fixing tractors, maybe.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
As this starts to die down the media will try and fan the flames to restart the panic. Predicted next big news media scare will be false negative tests from test samples being collected improperly. Didn't stick the sample collecting q-tip far enough up the patient's nose or forgot to tell the patient to shit when they stuck their finger up their ass.
Now we don't really know!!!!

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
As this starts to die down the media will try and fan the flames to restart the panic. Predicted next big news media scare will be false negative tests from test samples being collected improperly. Didn't stick the sample collecting q-tip far enough up the patient's nose or forgot to tell the patient to shit when they stuck their finger up their ass.
Now we don't really know!!!!
Yep, God for bid we have some positive news. There have been a few positive glimmers of hope but that doesn’t sell advertising and increase viewership. :rolleyes: :(

RACER J

Reaction score
A lot of people probably don't realize how much food the central valley can and does produce. We have oranges, lemons, olives, cherries and plenty of nut trees. Also beef, chicken's and dairy products just to name a few.
This is the view from my shop every morning.
Unfortunately it's controlled by the shit politics of the big cities and corrupt politicians. As soon as my shop sells I'm out of here. I'll miss it but its time for a change.
20200320_071537.jpg

Taboma

Reaction score

Ummm, not to be a nit-picker, but Yellowtail isn't tuna, unless you meant yellowfin ?? I wasn't aware of anybody locally in SD catching yellowfin yet 🤔
I know my commercial albacore buddy up in Oregon is spending lots of loot getting his boat ready for albacore and salmon season, but the albacore are still a couple of months away.
Again, not trying to be an ass, just curious mostly ---- was an old timer fisherman before we sold all the salt gear and moved our rec fun to Havasu, haven't dipped a line in 26 years now. :oops: Leaning how to fish Havasu strippers (The fish kind) is still on my bucket list, way down the list unless I'm motivated by hunger or bored. 😁

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
Ummm, not to be a nit-picker, but Yellowtail isn't tuna, unless you meant yellowfin ?? I wasn't aware of anybody locally in SD catching yellowfin yet 🤔
I know my commercial albacore buddy up in Oregon is spending lots of loot getting his boat ready for albacore and salmon season, but the albacore are still a couple of months away.
Again, not trying to be an ass, just curious mostly ---- was an old timer fisherman before we sold all the salt gear and moved our rec fun to Havasu, haven't dipped a line in 26 years now. :oops: Leaning how to fish Havasu strippers (The fish kind) is still on my bucket list, way down the list unless I'm motivated by hunger or bored. 😁

I just repeated what my wife said.... so she could easily get her Yellow________ mixed up. Google says: Yellowtail is a confusing name, as it can apply to flounder, tuna and sole. It’s also the common name for several species of amberjack, sleek migratory tuna-like fish found off both U.S. coasts. But it would have been caught off San Diego. Silvery skin, red flesh.

zhandfull

Reaction score
So this is not just a local emergency. It’s not just an United States emergency. It’s a global pandemic emergency and it’s both medical and economic.

Let’s just think about that for a minute.

In a local emergency, emergency supplies can be sourced from area’s outside the affected area. That is not going to work for this Covid-19 emergency, at least not for everybody.

Supply chains are definitely going to be affected as we get deeper into this Covid-19 issue. Everyone should have a minimum two month supply of food and essentials in my opinion.

Last edited:

Taboma

Reaction score
I just repeated what my wife said.... so she could easily get her Yellow________ mixed up. Google says: Yellowtail is a confusing name, as it can apply to flounder, tuna and sole. It’s also the common name for several species of amberjack, sleek migratory tuna-like fish found off both U.S. coasts. But it would have been caught off San Diego. Silvery skin, red flesh.

The red flesh comment would usually be more associated with yellowfin tuna. Perhaps he's fishing way south ??

Just in case you saw it as a whole and not just the fillets. Regardless, enjoy 😁 😁 😁

local California yellowtail --- species of Amberjack

California Yellowtail.jpg

Yellowfin Tuna

Yellowfin tuna.jpg

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
So this is not just a local emergency. It’s not just an United States emergency. It’s a global pandemic emergency and it’s both medical and economic.

Let’s just think about that for a minute.

In a local emergency, emergency supplies can be sourced from area’s outside the affected area. That is not going to work for this Covid-19 emergency, at least not for everybody.

Supply chains are definitely going to be affected as we get deeper into this Covid-19 issue. Everyone should have a minimum two month supply of food and essentials in my opinion.
I fully agree. The odd thing is, most of those who live in outlying areas understand the threat. Maybe because we watch the trucks roll through, or see farms and ranches...I don't know. The more "City" someone is, the more apt they are to tell people like me I am a stupid hillbilly and stoking fear. Odd really. One's psychoanalysis could possibly find a lot going on there, but I digress.
For my children's sake, I hope this passes quickly. For my children's sake, I'd much rather be prepared than not.

Bear Down

Reaction score
That would be @Bear Down
All I know air freight from Germany jumped 400%.

sorry I missed this post, currently my ocean freight costs are still the same, just nothing really to ship since all of my customers in Hawaii, pago pago, guam are all pretty much locked down. My middle east customers are also not ordering due to flight restrictions, so for me I am dead in the water until this clears up...
its a tough situation for my customers, as I specialize in mid-lever distributors (Mom and Pop). I am a little fortunate that I keep a small portfolio of continental US business and they have been catering to retail which has given me something to do.. costs of air freight and ocean freight has remained the same

FCT

Reaction score
So I guess we know what your planB is.🤔

I have Lake Mathews a couple miles away. I guess some midnight fishing could take place if needed.😎
Me and my buddies used to ride our pit bikes there with our poles to a hole we had in the fence. Good times back in the day! Thankfully we never got caught lol

Danger Dave

Sarcastically Optimistic 😁
Reaction score
Biggest constraint on the supply chain right now is the lack of truck drivers. That was a problem before the crisis hit, now there aren't enough drivers available to move extra loads. It's catching up.

highvoltagehands

Laveycraft Nuera 2750
Reaction score
The red flesh comment would usually be more associated with yellowfin tuna. Perhaps he's fishing way south ??

Just in case you saw it as a whole and not just the fillets. Regardless, enjoy 😁 😁 😁

local California yellowtail --- species of Amberjack

View attachment 856542

Yellowfin Tuna

View attachment 856543
Yellowfin?

6DAB0B1E-CF70-49FC-85EE-A35B8F610074.jpeg