WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

LHC Body Shop Help

KevinR

Reaction score
So since my Aviator got tagged at Windsor yesterday, I need to get it repaired here in Havasu. Insurance says they won’t pay to tow it home to Santa Monica for repairs. They recommended either Caliber Collision on Industrial or Gerbers.

Any local inmates have experience with them? Or, a different shop? Thanks guys.

AFF6C9B1-0136-431E-A812-B4E076E178DB.jpeg
1F0788DA-C579-41EB-B53F-893BEA584E04.jpeg

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
Either pay out of pocket for tow...maybe @Outlaw Boat Transport can help you...or really look around. parts are gonna be fun for that. Isn't caliber a chain now? I don't think your insurance can require you to use a certain shop... Is there a ford/Lincoln nearby that has body shop in house? I know Vegas does but does Bradley? With as new of a vehicle as it is..id be wanting dealer repair..

That sucks man..wtf happened?

Last edited:

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I hope your arm wasn't in the window...or out the door...when that happened!

I agree with @Ace in the Hole , with it being as new as it is, I'd want a dealer to do it. Driver's doors on new stuff have a lot of electronics, can/bus wiring stuff way beyond my pay grade. Also, depending on how much it tweaked the A-pillar, could be issues with windshield sealing, as well as some sensors for stuff like lane departure and other high tech stuff I've only read about :oops:

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Take it to Bodyline on Acoma. Justin is a great guy and does Phenomenal work!

He has done several repairs for me and I have been happy with all of them. Also done work for One a day and others here!

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
I hope your arm wasn't in the window...or out the door...when that happened!

I agree with @Ace in the Hole , with it being as new as it is, I'd want a dealer to do it. Driver's doors on new stuff have a lot of electronics, can/bus wiring stuff way beyond my pay grade. Also, depending on how much it tweaked the A-pillar, could be issues with windshield sealing, as well as some sensors for stuff like lane departure and other high tech stuff I've only read about :oops:

Our BMW just spent 3 weeks in the shop tracking down a blind spot monitor malfunction. With a lot of this new stuff id dealer it to make them responsible or fix it and trade it.

J&k beer can

Reaction score
Caliber or Gerbers are corporate chain shop that do what the insurance wants.
I would go with daves recommendation

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
Will they tow it to PHX? Might be worth a shot. I’d want it at a reputable dealer, as mentioned above. Or a certified shop depending on insurance.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Our BMW just spent 3 weeks in the shop tracking down a blind spot monitor malfunction. With a lot of this new stuff id dealer it to make them responsible or fix it and trade it.
:oops:Last year I did a shifter on an X5...and then had to have a buddy bring over some software stuff to program it. That's a big Nope from me, never again.
Although an LS swap would fit really nice😏

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
My local experience is Bodyline, if you must get it done in Havasu.
Justin treated me very well and had much higher end stuff going on besides my small job.

C_J_J_C

Reaction score
Screenshot_20210919-014557_Chrome.jpg

Just zip tie or ratchet strap it and drive it home. J/K. I would have it towed to the original dealer.

nowski

Reaction score
AAA premium/platinum whatever they call it does 200 miles.

I believe you get two of the 200 miles tows with AAA Premier per year. Tow to Barstow then to Santa Monica...

If I was in Havasu I'd drive it home for you. It's not like the wind will mess up my hair, besides I like that fresh desert smell...

KevinR

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback fellas.

We had pulled the boat out of the water and we were in the wipe down lane at the south of the parking lot. I had just gotten out of the car and for some reason just did not shut my door. Right then a guy rolls up on our left to pull in front us. He cut it too close and with people in both boats screaming for him to stop, his sturdy trailer upright/guide at the rear hit the upper part of my door and pulled it forward till it let loose.

I had just got my car back a month ago after a guy in a truck ran a red light and took out the front passenger corner of the car. I know all about slow parts delivery. That trip to the body shop took 4.5 months.

The place in west LA did a superb job then so I prefer to have them make these repairs. Ace thanks for the AAA comment. Been a member for 30 years and did not even think about that. 🤪

If for some reason I can’t get the car home without costing a fortune, I will use Bodyline. Thanks Dave!

nowski

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback fellas.

We had pulled the boat out of the water and we were in the wipe down lane at the south of the parking lot. I had just gotten out of the car and for some reason just did not shut my door. Right then a guy rolls up on our left to pull in front us. He cut it too close and with people in both boats screaming for him to stop, his sturdy trailer upright/guide at the rear hit the upper part of my door and pulled it forward till it let loose.

I had just got my car back a month ago after a guy in a truck ran a red light and took out the front passenger corner of the car. I know all about slow parts delivery. That trip to the body shop took 4.5 months.

The place in west LA did a superb job then so I prefer to have them make these repairs. Ace thanks for the AAA comment. Been a member for 30 years and did not even think about that. 🤪

If for some reason I can’t get the car home without costing a fortune, I will use Bodyline. Thanks Dave!

Have AAA tow it twice like I mentioned, that will get her home with no out of pocket expense.

Parking lots are brutal. My wife's car was the recipient of a parking lot hit and run earlier this year. One week after having the vehicle repaired it gets T Boned in another parking lot incident. I think we need to protect her car with some bubble wrap, lol...

Shrub Lurker

Reaction score
Well, if you don’t tow it home to the shop you like. You may be making multiple trips to any out of town shop before, during or after repairs.
If you choose to use an out of town shop, Caliber would be my choice as their warranty works at any Caliber anywhere. All shops are gonna have good techs and some butchers.
That’s a tough hit ya got there, if that hinge post isn’t perfect, that door will remind you what shop you took it to every time it closes (or doesn’t close).

If your insurance company will only back you up if you use one of their approved shops, and the only shops on their list is Caliber in that area, it’s a no brainer.
I retired from that industry in 2020 after almost 27 years as Caliber all but took my job. 🤦‍♂️

Riverbottom

Reaction score
In Havasu, I would go to Bradley Ford. They have the best equipped collision shop in Havasu, and techs that are certified in aluminum repair.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Caliber used to be Brothers. I had some insurance repairs at Brothers and they did fine. No idea if same people operating it now though.

Riverbottom

Reaction score
Caliber used to be Brothers. I had some insurance repairs at Brothers and they did fine. No idea if same people operating it now though.

I don't believe any of Frank's employees stuck around, don't know who is working there now.

Universal Elements

Reaction score
I believe you get two of the 200 miles tows with AAA Premier per year. Tow to Barstow then to Santa Monica...

If I was in Havasu I'd drive it home for you. It's not like the wind will mess up my hair, besides I like that fresh desert smell...

It’s one two hundred mile tow and three 100 mile tows per year

Fast Willy

Reaction score
Whatever you do, Don't go to Caliber!! They are as good as Maaco. They suck!!

RichL

Reaction score
Any chance of renting a Uhaul truck and trailer and towing it home yourself? Do you have storage options for the boat?

Sherpa

Reaction score
after 2 accidents in that same car, if it was mine, i'd burn it down and claim fire. I know, law, fraud, etc. but damn,

KevinR

Reaction score
Any chance of renting a Uhaul truck and trailer and towing it home yourself? Do you have storage options for the boat?

Thanks fellas for the continued sharing of your experiences and advice.

Yeah, I could figure out to tow it home. But….then I burn even more hours dealing with this. Also, it’s a leased car (my first), so I’m out of the car in 15 months. But I will attempt to get reimbursed for my time and costs having to go back and forth as at a minimum it’s one round trip. The car is presently in my Dad’s garage, got lucky there. 😉

I’ll talk with my USAA claims adjuster tomorrow and begin to sort things out. They suggested Caliber and Gerbers, but said I can choose to get it repaired at any shop in Havasu. I will also call the shops in Havasu tomorrow and talk to them about the repairs, including Bradley. Got a preliminary quote from AAA towing and the first 200 is free, but that remaining 100 miles is $1,200, and I doubt offender’s insurance will cover that.

I know it’s only a car, but part of what really pisses me off is all this time reporting it and figuring it out, then dealing with the repair shop through completion. The offender drives away after we share information, his wallet will take a hit for his premium, and I’m having to burn hours and hours with all the details. At least I was able to secure a rental car at Havasu airport to get home today! 🤣

Last edited: