WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

LHC PD Rant

3.Slow

Reaction score
Well, just got a $275 ticket for having my boat parked on the beach in front of the Heat Hotel. Sign says NO OVERNIGHT MOORING and references an ordinance, not time posted on the sign at all. I'm sitting up at the RDP Party watching the channel and see them pull up next to my boat so I go down to see what's up. He tells me I'm getting a ticket because the sign says no mooring from 11pm to 5am. I point out the sign that is 5' from my boat has no time at all, the. he tells me there is a sign at the entrance to the channel that says 11 to 5, I ask him if it is illuminated, the answer is no, I drove in at 10pm and the signs cannot be seen in the dark. next he tells me about the ordinance so I ask where I reference the ordinance and he tells me I have to look it up on my phone, assuming I have a smart phone with a data plant. The whole ordeal was very frustrating because the cops were not even informed of their own signage, I was very calm, they just made up one excuse after another to continue writing a ticket and not using common sence.
20190901_002434.jpg

and the sign that shows the hours, I think, but it's not lit and I cant read it.
20190901_010216.jpg

gqchris

Reaction score
This happens every year during holidays. Usually you wake up in the morning to muddy boot prints and a ticket on your dash if you parked across the channel at the condos.

Honestly, they only seem to enforce on big holidays.

USMC2010

Reaction score
Traffic court here is a sham, you can fight it but you will probably still have have to pay.

Moneypit

Ol' school kid..........
Reaction score
What is the exact definition of "Mooring"... Does it mean "anchored", or "docked", and does it cover "beached"... Seems like future parking, 10 feet off shore anchored, would not be covered by the sign if the sign covers "beached"... I'd fight it, and WIN....
Ray

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
You would lose...

8.16.130 MOORING IN CHANNEL.
A. No person shall moor, cause to be moored, parked, anchored or left standing any watercraft in any area designated as a no-mooring area.

B. The City Manager is authorized to designate any area within Bridgewater Channel as a no-mooring area and to cause the area to be posted with appropriate signs.

C. No person shall leave moored, parked or standing any watercraft within Bridgewater Channel between the hours of 11:00 p.m. and 5:00 a.m. except upon privately owned property with the permission of the property owner.

D. Subject to rebuttal, it shall be presumed that the registered owner of any watercraft found moored, parked or standing in violation of this section is responsible for such mooring, parking or standing.

E. No person shall moor, cause to be moored, parked, anchored, or left standing, any watercraft located within 25 feet of the east side of the Bridgewater channel, unless that watercraft is moored to a mooring post. Not more than 1 watercraft may be moored to a mooring post at the same time.

Moneypit

Ol' school kid..........
Reaction score
You would lose...
Not based on the inadequate signage.. Define "overnight"... Just because there is a sign at the city limits about parking, it would not necessarily apply to all the city streets.. Just as a sign "down there" would be a stretch to apply "over here"...
The case could be won, just how much time and money do you want to put into it for for $275.?? I'd at least make them change the signage...And/or stack several untraceable boats there with pulled plugs very early on their busiest day, pricks...
Ray

saucedaddy

Reaction score
Congrats on joining the team. They ticketed every night for 2 weeks over the 4th of July. Usually same guy who is a reserve cop. City pays some $12 hr reserve cop to go make them thousands a night. This has been going on for years, think I’ve racked up about 5 of them. Done all the research and bottom line is your gonna pay up. Like said above even if you fight it you will pay. Tons of people have fought these for years and lost. This is purely enforced by the City Council and there greed to run off visitors. Just ask what’s going on with owners over at Kingsview.

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
Not based on the inadequate signage.. Define "overnight"... Just because there is a sign at the city limits about parking, it would not necessarily apply to all the city streets.. Just as a sign "down there" would be a stretch to apply "over here"...
The case could be won, just how much time and money do you want to put into it for for $275.?? I'd at least make them change the signage...And/or stack several untraceable boats there with pulled plugs very early on their busiest day, pricks...
Ray

No, I think you would still lose. The ordinance is clear that mooring after 11 pm is not allowed. The sign says "no overnight mooring" and even sites the ordinance. That isn't inadequate signage. Maybe if you can prove you are a hayseed with no access to any technology that stumbled into town in your $200K dollar boat...

You might be sucessfull in getting the signs changed though, and that could be a good thing.

This goes back to the old saying that "ignorance of the law isn't a defense".

Don't like it? Petition the City Council to ammend the oridinance.

Rsqfxr

Reaction score
What is the exact definition of "Mooring"... Does it mean "anchored", or "docked", and does it cover "beached"... Seems like future parking, 10 feet off shore anchored, would not be covered by the sign if the sign covers "beached"... I'd fight it, and WIN....
Ray
curious as well, previously Ive been beached in the channel past midnight and all the unattended boats received citations, they didnt say anything to me

CobraDave

Reaction score
Sounds liKe you are the one with excuses. It’s states the ordinance on the sign. I hope you at least left it there and continued partying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PlanB

Reaction score
curious as well, previously Ive been beached in the channel past midnight and all the unattended boats received citations, they didnt say anything to me

If you are with your boat they will not cite you. We are down there late all the time, including the last two nights.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score

Because you were next to your boat. Your boat can be there all night if you are there with it.

3.Slow

Reaction score
If your boat was parked at night next to a sign that said no overnight parking then you earn a ticket.
so you define overnight as, at any point during the night? I though the general consensus was overnight meant overnight. I guess in today's world anything is up for interpretation, unfortunately.

Lavey29

Floatin Dirty
Reaction score
I'm very surprised the sign closest to your boat doesn't specify the times. Seems every street parking sign I've ever seen limiting parking had the times listed at the bottom. I honestly feel that boat mooring sign is inadequate without the time reference on it. I would fight it but as others have stated it is a difficult challenge. I would complain to the city manager. If they modify the sign before your court date it would support your argument in court.

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
The sign may have been made with common sense in mind in regards to the times... lol Unfortunately, you can not do that with legal type thingy's. He has an argument in court based on the sign with the times not being lit, but I'm sure the judge has heard it all already. The fact that it has the Muni code posted is going to make it difficult to fight.

I'd say the best option would be to explain how you stepped away from the boat, fully intending to go back and pull it out of the water before the night has ended. I'm guessing you are still paying a fine, but you might get it reduced.

Havasteve

Reaction score
so you define overnight as, at any point during the night? I though the general consensus was overnight meant overnight. I guess in today's world anything is up for interpretation, unfortunately.

No. If not otherwise specified night is usually anytime after published sundown.

What did the ordinance say?

3.Slow

Reaction score
Pull off the water earlier....go home shower for party...Uber to party.....no one likes a stinky partier or a drunk driver. Ez fix. :D
Well, I dont drink. and we have a cove spot at the nautical, so taking the boat that is in the water to the party that is at the hotel on the water seemed like a very logical, responsible decision.

3.Slow

Reaction score
No. If not otherwise specified night is usually anytime after published sundown.

What did the ordinance say?
Yes, if you look it up the ordinance says no mooring from 11 to 5, which is something completely different then you opinion of overnight meaning anytime after sundown. My point was the sign does not give a time, and sorry, but nobody in their right mind considers parking somewhere after sunset as overnight.

rrrr

Reaction score
Yes, if you look it up the ordinance says no mooring from 11 to 5, which is something completely different then you opinion of overnight meaning anytime after sundown. My point was the sign does not give a time, and sorry, but nobody in their right mind considers parking somewhere after sunset as overnight.

You've neglected to share what time you got the ticket.

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
I'm wondering what would happen if they didn't ever enforce it, and just let people park their boats overnight in the channel without restriction?

saucedaddy

Reaction score
2DF71AC4-B959-42E5-A2E5-57C20AE27E2A.gif
View attachment 793459
Lake Havasu City Council certainly does!

Heylam

Reaction score
You fucked up. Own it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

USMC2010

Reaction score
But I heard the LHC police are the best in the nation?
The judge I saw don't give two shits if you didn't know, it's expected.
I sat through 3 cases and witnessed the best in the nation lie in 2 cases and I have my suspicions about the 3rd.
On the wall the majority of cases for the day were illegal moorings. There is no way they are letting anyone off at that revenue amount.

riverroyal

Reaction score
Its no secret in this town the ticket revenue over holidays is way way up there.
Pay it...move on

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
The judge I saw don't give two shits if you didn't know, it's expected.
I sat through 3 cases and witnessed the best in the nation lie in 2 cases and I have my suspicions about the 3rd.
On the wall the majority of cases for the day were illegal moorings. There is no way they are letting anyone off at that revenue amount.

Exactly. It is the same deal as it is everywhere else.

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
How much does a slip cost for the weekend?

Singleton

Reaction score
Lemme see? Owners getting ticketed multiple nights, continuous fights with the City Council etc...:D

Developer got F’d when he built it and did not ask for the same rights as those condos across the channel that have a private beach and have overnight parking

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
I'm wondering what would happen if they didn't ever enforce it, and just let people park their boats overnight in the channel without restriction?
This all came to be because people parking shit pile boats down there because they were too cheap to get a slip in the marina. This happened a long long time ago. People who have launched at site six know what the cove next to site six was like up until a couple years ago when they hauled all those junk boats out.

I have never had an issue down there after hours, as long as you’re with your boat. How does LE know if you’re returning or not if there’s no one around. I guess you could try leaving a note. :rolleyes:
Maybe the business owners should petition the city to change the hours to coincide with their business hours.

The only other option I see is to vote with your feet. I hear Lake Mohave, Lake Mead, Lake Powell and Parker are all looking for tourist boaters.:D:p

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Anytouristtown USA has revenue generating ordinances that snatch those extra bucks from you.
Any beach city in SoCal will try to get some $ from you, ski resort towns, blah, blah, blah.
Parking ordinances in every town vary and the unexpecting visitor will not be so aware.
And even those of us who do know of them play roulette more than not. Our common sense approach to the ordinance does not however align with its actual intent and therefore we will rightfully rant about the citation. I know I would.
A day later I'll thump my palm against the side of my head and call myself a dumbass.

Lavey29

Floatin Dirty
Reaction score

They should just put a few of those kiosks up along the channel and make you buy an overnight mooring pass for like 20 bucks and display it on your boat similar to what car parking lots do.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
They should just put a few of those kiosks up along the channel and make you buy an overnight mooring pass for like 20 bucks and display it on your boat similar to what car parking lots do.
I'd not recommend overnight parking but maybe extended hours parking for local businesses patronage.

Lavey29

Floatin Dirty
Reaction score
I'd not recommend overnight parking but maybe extended hours parking for local businesses patronage.

Is there that many businesses open past 11 down there? Only problem I see with charging for overnight mooring might be the launch ramps not getting their cut. They could put a disclaimer for liability at the purchase time. 40 boats beached overnight is 800 for the city and like you mentioned some of those may be patronizing the bars or restaurants that are open late.