WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Lifeline Marine Safety Products - Shop Tour!

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
So last weekend we took the Bullhead Bully out, to run from Lake Havasu all the way up to Davis Dam. It's been a bucket list ride of mine that I have always wanted to do, and to get the opportunity to do it with Paul Warner at 90-110 mph cruising speeds the whole way is just something you don't pass up. That said I've been in plenty of fast boats over the years, in some cases I borrowed a lifeline, in other cases where you are running 150-160+ mph, the life jacket is kind of a moot point. Leading up to this ride though where we'd be cruising at speeds where god forbid something did go sideways it could potentially save you, I figured it was time to finally break down and get one. I called Kent the thursday before and told him I needed a lifeline, and I needed one quickly. Kent said "C'mon down we'll get you handled!" The next morning I was in my truck and on my way to Parker.

As you arrive to the building located in downtown Parker AZ, you can see their logo's painted up near the roof line on the two sides of the building facing the street. The paint is slightly faded, but still looks good. It immediately kind of throws you back to the "hey day" of Parker when thousands of people would come to watch the Parker Enduro down at the Blue Water.

IMG_7654.jpg

And again I'm once again thrown back to my youth as I approach the front door and see this wood carving mounted to the entrance. It's the kind of thing that was done back when kids took woodshop and took pride not only in their work, but their extracurricular activities.

IMG_7655.jpg

If you are into boat racing, and can appreciate the history of it all then visiting lifeline is an absolute MUST. When you open the door it's immediate sensory overload. There's something on every vertical surface and every horizontal surface! It's a comprehensive museum of photos, plaques, trophies, and retired race gear!

IMG_7666.jpg

There's everything in this place from a miniature "Problem Child" top fuel Hydro, to a Bobble Head of Kenny Mungle with the infamous "Gone Again" Skaters.

IMG_7656.jpg

IMG_7657.jpg

IMG_7658.jpg

IMG_7660.jpg

On the left is Gordon Jennings first ever race life jacket from when he was a kid. (The Real K Boat King and owner of Pfaff Racing Engines now!) On the right is the legendary Julian Pettingill's lifeline from back in the day.

IMG_7661.jpg

IMG_7662.jpg

IMG_7663.jpg

IMG_7664.jpg

You could spend hours in here examining on the memorabilia. Everything from drag boats, to circle boats, to offshore! This photo is the former founder of Benihana restaurants Hiroaki Aoki aka "Rocky." He was a major contributor to offshore racing in the 70's!

IMG_7665.jpg

I can only assume this is Kent's office. First class with the wood work and desk. He hadn't come downstairs yet when I took this photo so I didn't want to intrude too much and just shot it from the doorway. As you can see literally everywhere downstairs in Lifeline there are plaque's and thank you's, and trophy's etc..

IMG_7659.jpg

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Kent showed up and I asked him if we could get the nickel tour of lifeline. He was happy to oblidge, and I"m certainly glad he did! When you walk into the where house the first thing you notice is the floor. You might be asking yourself "What's so special about concrete?" You could put a white glove on, and wipe it from one side of the shop to the other and the glove would still be white. I don't know how these guys keep it this clean, but it shows a lot of pride in their facility. For those that remember Badenoch's in Parker was always the same way.

IMG_7671.jpg

The facility is pretty large with 5,000 square feet on the bottom floor and another 5,000 on the second story. I just snapped a picture of these product racks, they have inventory that is ready for immediate sale of all types.

IMG_7668.jpg

These are ballistic shorts. If you are hauling ass on the water and not wearing a floatational driving suit then these wouldn't be a bad idea to add to the repertoire. God forbid you do land in the water wrong it's a "shitty way" to go.

IMG_7670.jpg

I forgot to ask what was in these packages. As we are about to find out when we get more into the tour, lifeline makes a lot more than just lifejackets!

IMG_7669.jpg

These are stock lifelines that are ready to go in a variety of sizes.

IMG_7673.jpg

Custom jackets made for a new DCB owner! (Can you guess the boat and owner?)

IMG_7672.jpg

I didn't want to take up Ken's whole day as there was a few more things I could have taken pics of, but you guys have already seen more than 90% of the people that would ever walk through the shop will see. Off to the left there is a stair case leading to the upstairs. (Take note of the metal "chute" on the right!) That's Ken waiting for me to finish taking pics. (I appreciate the patience Ken!)

IMG_7674.jpg

Rotten deal

Reaction score
I need to order a couple of more for the boat.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Upstairs is a complete factory where all the lifeline products are made. This is just one aisle of an assembly table. There's about 4 or 5 rows of them.

IMG_7676.jpg

Some roles of material. They have different materials for different portions of the jackets / shorts etc..

IMG_7679.jpg

Design template for a suit. This particular suit (or rather suits) are being built for a swedish Formula 1 team (Champ Boats). Lifeline has customers all over the world that order their safety equipment. I asked Kent to clarify that and he quickly buzzed through about 10 different projects they are doing for ten different parts of the world. As he was rattling them off I heard England, Qatar, United Arab Emirates, and a few others. Basically Europe / Middle East / USA, and any place else where boat racing is prevalent. Pretty cool to think that a company out of a small town in Parker AZ is truly "international."
IMG_7683.jpg

Laying out the patterns.

IMG_7682.jpg

IMG_7681.jpg

IMG_7680.jpg

A little broader overview to show some of the different assembly lines. It should be noted that the employees here have been here for years, and they are for the most part all family. The younger man in the white shirt told me that his grandmother worked there, his cousin works there, as well as several other relatives. The job market is pretty tough in Parker so if you can land a good job in a nice facility like this it's a pretty big deal for a local. (That and the entire shop is climate controlled, which is huge during the summer!)

IMG_7675.jpg

A few finished jackets ready to go out. I'd like to tell you that I staged these for the picture, but honestly this is how everything looks at lifeline. When you walk through the place absolutely everything is in order, and nothing that I could see was out of place.

IMG_7677.jpg

More rolls of a different material. I wish I could remember what this was for, but I can't.

IMG_7678.jpg

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I'm not sure what they are doing here. It isn't there for decoration as it's part of the assembly area that none of the customers ever really get to see.

IMG_7685.jpg

Various driving suits that were on a hanger. I am assuming these are all custom orders and they are perhaps working on the accompanying articles?

IMG_7684.jpg

Earlier I discussed some of the other products Lifeline makes. They make breathing apparatus for capsule boats. They also service the apparatus in house, so every now and again to keep things race legal racers will send their equipment in to be serviced. This helmet / bottle / regulator was in to be certified and rebuilt.
IMG_7690.jpg

IMG_7691.jpg

New breathing apparatus's ready to be built from scratch.

IMG_7689.jpg

In this picture you will see a set of seatbelts in the forefront. You will also notice the two sewing machines. This particular row had seven or eight sewing machines all setup in individual work stations.

IMG_7688.jpg

New seatbelts that have been inspected and are ready for packaging. I asked if they did seatbelts for automotive and offroad, but Kent said they stick to the marine market strictly. (Capsule boats)

IMG_7687.jpg

IMG_7686.jpg

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
These are a pair of jackets being made for I believe a Ski Racing team that is running a Nordic. The embroidery work on these jackets is some of the best I have ever seen. IMG_7693.jpg IMG_7694.jpg

This jacket was just being finished up. These life jackets are way more high tech then people realize. They have several different types of Kevlar in them. That yellow mesh is Kevlar that is there for strength on impact but still breathable. Other portions of the jacket are Kevlar that help to prevent "piercing or cutting." Obviously this jacket is for "What's up Doc" racing.

IMG_7696.jpg IMG_7695.jpg

This customer had lifelines built to match his boat years ago. Kent prides himself on trying to keep every pattern for every jacket they have ever made, but for some reason they couldn't locate this one. His solution was to have the customer send him a jacket, and he is reverse engineering it and cutting the patterns to make everything match perfectly. Not many companies would offer that level of service anymore, most would just try to get you to purchase all new ones and say they couldn't do it.

IMG_7703.jpg

IMG_7702.jpg

IMG_7692.jpg

Another product that lifeline makes is parachutes. Not only parachutes for boats, but also parachute life jackets! I'd like to get all expert and say "these are for this and those are for that" but realistically I'd make myself look like an idiot. Kent carefully went through each one with me, but I'd mix them up. You can see rigs that are ready to be packed in the first picture.

IMG_7700.jpg

You can see the assemblies that the chutes are actuated by in this photo.

IMG_7699.jpg

The silver bags that go over the chutes on the back of drag boats.

IMG_7698.jpg

Don't quote me on it, but I believe this is a new style rig that is much easier to pack then the old ones?

IMG_7697.jpg

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
We are about done with the upstairs now and heading back down. Before I left I had to get a picture of the "chute." Whenever a product if finished upstairs they will bag it and tag it, then send it down this chute to shipping and receiving. I'm not sure why, but I thought it was just a cool little feature, instead of having to walk everything down stars every time.

IMG_7704.jpg

I did my best to try and get an "overview" picture of the shop while I was walking down the stairs.

IMG_7705.jpg

As I was getting ready to leave, I saw this lifeline sweatshirt. They do offer a complete apparel line that goes with their safety equipment for racers. T shirts / Hats / sweatshirts / you name it.

IMG_7706.jpg

For those that like to keep their life jackets clean and in order, they also offer a giant bag that you can put them in. (That would be mine in case you are wondering.) Thanks for that Kent!

IMG_7701.jpg

Kent thank you again! Not only for the awesome (and very personal & historical) tour of the shop, but also for the countless lives you guys have saved over the years with your products! I was thoroughly impressed with the facility and the staff while we were there! It's pretty amazing to watch not only the evolution of safety over the years, but to understand that people all over the world bet their lives on your products.

IMG_7708.jpg

Taboma

Reaction score
Thanks for the tour Dave, very interesting :thumbsup

Considering how long they've been making racing safety products, is this a multi-generation family business ?

Also, with the increased demand from the high-performance boat recreational boat owners, are they intending to pursue Coast Guard cert. for a jacket tailored for that market ? I've always thought it odd since those jackets are far superior to general PFDs (Think-- cheap crap) that are certified, that theirs are not.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Thanks for the tour Dave, very interesting :thumbsup

Considering how long they've been making racing safety products, is this a multi-generation family business ?

Also, with the increased demand from the high-performance boat recreational boat owners, are they intending to pursue Coast Guard cert. for a jacket tailored for that market ? I've always thought it odd since those jackets are far superior to general PFDs (Think-- cheap crap) that are certified, that theirs are not.

This is their 50th year in business! Kent's father started the company and retired awhile back. I don't think they are going to go after the coastguard cert, because it's not really necesarry. Everyone carries the "brick" of orange lifejackets up under the bow anyways, which makes them CG compliant.

RD

Timmmmmy

Reaction score
Dave is absolutely correct that that shop is always spotless. I'm there a few times a week and it always looks the same way.

Enen

Reaction score
I didn't realize Lifeline was local to Parker.

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score

I believe what prevents them from getting a USCG certification is that they're custom made jackets. Because they're not all the same size and production made, they can't get the certification. I know they make quite a few "stock" sizes you can buy off the shelf, but not sure it's enough for them to certify.

Taboma

Reaction score
I believe what prevents them from getting a USCG certification is that they're custom made jackets. Because they're not all the same size and production made, they can't get the certification. I know they make quite a few "stock" sizes you can buy off the shelf, but not sure it's enough for them to certify.

I was thinking more from a marketing perspective, a recreational line of high quality jackets targeting the increasing number of high performance boat owners. Of course I have no idea of the cost involved in obtaining certification or anything about the hoops and process.

This concept could be entirely opposite of their philosophy and business model ? They may not want their name and reputation associated with anything other than their racing heritage and small production numbers with superb quality control.

In other words, they're probably doing exactly what they want to be doing, so good for them :thumbsup

TexasJet

Reaction score
Did you get a RDP discount code for those that want to order?

Spudsbud

Reaction score
they should have a booth at DS.
Customer awareness and all... sell some gear....??
nice tour. thank you Sir!

HST4ME

Reaction score
I've had to use my impact vest twice, never go anywhere without it. :thumbup: Awesome people and there is no equal.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
I've had to use my impact vest twice, never go anywhere without it. :thumbup: Awesome people and there is no equal.

:yikes

I've always been glad to wear the right gear, sure sucked having to test it out when I needed too. :)

In addition to a shitload of luck and grace, I am here myself.

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score
I was thinking more from a marketing perspective, a recreational line of high quality jackets targeting the increasing number of high performance boat owners. Of course I have no idea of the cost involved in obtaining certification or anything about the hoops and process.

This concept could be entirely opposite of their philosophy and business model ? They may not want their name and reputation associated with anything other than their racing heritage and small production numbers with superb quality control.

In other words, they're probably doing exactly what they want to be doing, so good for them :thumbsup

Agreed, I'm not an expert on the certification process, but it may be as strict as even the color of the vest would all have to be standard.

But I think you're probably right, they like how their business is now and don't want to just be a mass producer. Also, if their stock sizes were USCG approved, everyone would buy those and not do the custom fitting which is the correct way to do it.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Did you get a RDP discount code for those that want to order?

I didn't ask Kent for one, but I'm sure I could call down there and get a 10% off deal or something if enough members wanted to order them?

RD

rivergames

Reaction score
Lifeline gear and the Lucas rescue team saved my Life in 2014 and that gear is cut up and hanging on my wall.

Last month, I picked up new gear from Lifeline.

Yesterday, I drove a heat in the P66 Mr. Magoo crackerbox for a win in Phoenix. That was my first time driving a cracker since the accident.

By the second lap, I felt like I had my mojo again in the cracker. :tbi

Attachments

• 17759833_1265309750243144_3403312363701614888_n.jpg
    17759833_1265309750243144_3403312363701614888_n.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 58

DSMITH

Reaction score
Love the shop tours! Definitely been interesting to see these! Gordy Jennings bought Pfaff Racing Engines now? If so I think that was probably a great move for the business.

milkmoney

Reaction score
Lifeline gear and the Lucas rescue team saved my Life in 2014 and that gear is cut up and hanging on my wall.

Last month, I picked up new gear from Lifeline.

Yesterday, I drove a heat in the P66 Mr. Magoo crackerbox for a win in Phoenix. That was my first time driving a cracker since the accident.

By the second lap, I felt like I had my mojo again in the cracker. :tbi

I have wondered if u were going to get back in the seat. Good for you andju. [emoji106][emoji41][emoji202]

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
I didn't ask Kent for one, but I'm sure I could call down there and get a 10% off deal or something if enough members wanted to order them?

RD

I have been wanting to buy 2. Was kinda hoping to see someone at the boat show this weekend about sizing for my wife and I.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Love the shop tours! Definitely been interesting to see these! Gordy Jennings bought Pfaff Racing Engines now? If so I think that was probably a great move for the business.

It's been awhile since he took over Pfaff.. 5-6 years I think?

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I have been wanting to buy 2. Was kinda hoping to see someone at the boat show this weekend about sizing for my wife and I.

I don't think they are going to be at the show. Do you ever drive through parker? Are you looking for custom to match the boat?

TexasJet

Reaction score
I'd be looking for custom to match the CP. I would pick it up in Parker May 3rd on my way to Havasu.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I'd be looking for custom to match the CP. I would pick it up in Parker May 3rd on my way to Havasu.

You would have to call Kent on that. I have no idea of pricing for something like that. They will just take measurements over the phone I'm sure

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
I don't think they are going to be at the show. Do you ever drive through parker? Are you looking for custom to match the boat?

I have been driving thru Parker a bit recently but just never make the stop. I know there are a few vendors in havasu, hopefully be able to get sizing right and then I can order direct and stop by in a couple weeks to pick up and see the history at the shop.
Not looking to match the boat because my next boat won't be the same colors [emoji3]

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score

Go online, lots of options to see, you can pick your colors, but I am not sure how long order takes as I have been dragging my feet on making contact with them.