WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Lifters on a 5.3

EmpirE231

Reaction score
Has anyone here had to have their lifters done on a 5.3? Looking for recommendations in the inland empire area..... also what did it run you to have it done?

My 05 silveraydo has 203K miles on the clock and they're ticking pretty good..... plan was to get a new truck this year, but with this chip / supply line shortage.... I might be having to wait a little longer than I wanted to.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Has anyone here had to have their lifters done on a 5.3? Looking for recommendations in the inland empire area..... also what did it run you to have it done?

My 05 silveraydo has 203K miles on the clock and they're ticking pretty good..... plan was to get a new truck this year, but with this chip / supply line shortage.... I might be having to wait a little longer than I wanted to.

It will be cheaper to buy a junkyard engine and R & R the thing with that mileage. Expect a couple grand in labor, plus parts to pull the heads and swap the lifters. They are going to want to do the lifters and the trays at a bare minimum.

I don't think yours has the L33, but here is an aluminium block 5.3 HO. L33 with 105K on it for $2K. If yours is the iron block you can find one for about half that, and probably $1K labor to complete the engine swap.

Last edited:

Big B Hova

HOSS
Reaction score

Just had the lifters and cam done on my 6.0 ls. Shop did a goodjob but took 4 months lol

EmpirE231

Reaction score
It will be cheaper to buy a junkyard engine and R & R the thing with that mileage. Expect a couple grand in labor, plus parts to pull the heads and swap the lifters. They are going to want to do the lifters and the trays at a bare minimum.

I don't think yours has the L33, but here is an aluminium block 5.3 HO. L33 with 105K on it for $2K. If yours is the iron block you can find one for about half that, and probably $1K labor to complete the engine swap.

this route is kinda tempting... just wonder if it would go that smooth.

I had one local shop quote me $1800 to do the lifters.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score

It's an 6-8 hour job for most mechanics. Parts are about $300.
-Set of new lifters
-4 new lifter trays
-2 head gaskets
-2 waterpump gaskets
-2 valvecover gaskets

If you haven't done them recently, you'll want to have them do new intake gaskets while the intake is off. They get hard and start leaking with age, especially once disturbed.

I have a guy / shop that can take care of it for you very reasonably, if your interested. He's located near Glendale / Echo Park area.

C-2

Reaction score
My daughter's Jeep needs at least one new rocker arm, I was going to try Protrans in Riverside - they are a AAA shop. Never been there.

Contemplating DIY, or new head, or new heads, or long block, too lol

farmo83

Reaction score
My brother in law is a mechanic by trade and did this recently himself. I think he had about a grand in with him doing it.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
this route is kinda tempting... just wonder if it would go that smooth.

I had one local shop quote me $1800 to do the lifters.

Thats not horrible. The engine swap is less labor than the lifters, 4-6 hours. Even spending $3K on repairing the truck you are likely gonna get your money back out of it.

Your used engine will also sell for a couple hundred bucks.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
-Set of new lifters
-4 new lifter trays
-2 head gaskets
-2 waterpump gaskets
-2 valvecover gaskets

If you haven't done them recently, you'll want to have them do new intake gaskets while the intake is off. They get hard and start leaking with age, especially once disturbed.

I have a guy / shop that can take care of it for you very reasonably, if your interested. He's located near Glendale / Echo Park area.

In theory you need to head bolts too.. but ain't nobody got time for that on a 200k mile engine.

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
It is also not easy to get lifters. The motor I am refreshing I went with ls7 lifters, then you need new pushrods since they are taller.

EmpirE231

Reaction score
It is also not easy to get lifters. The motor I am refreshing I went with ls7 lifters, then you need new pushrods since they are taller.

don’t tell me there’s a lifter shortage as well lol

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score

It is combination dependent, but generally you don't need new pushrods when going to replacement (LS7) lifters in an otherwise stock engine. On an aftermarket combination, you might.

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score
If the lifters are bad , the cam probably is too . Might as well do a timing chain and oil pump.
Oh hell , just rebuild it

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
It is combination dependent, but generally you don't need new pushrods when going to replacement (LS7) lifters in an otherwise stock engine. On an aftermarket combination, you might.
Yes my cam base went down lifters went up, was almost right but not quite

lake p.a.l.

Reaction score
I have a fantastic 5.3 I got from Bigbore500r almost 2 years ago, still runs great thankfully, with 200k on it.
Kicking around the idea of swapping in a 6.2 or something with more power.
Any recommendations?

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Eh? The “LS7” part number lifter became the late model LS truck lifter. Same height.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Yes my cam base went down lifters went up, was almost right but not quite
It’s due to the aftermarket cam being ground on a smaller base circle for sure. Most aftermarket cams end up taking a 7.425” to get the preload back within range, so long as nothing change with heads or deck heights. The stock GM pushrods are called a 7.4 but the measure closer to 7.390 if I remember right

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
I have a fantastic 5.3 I got from Bigbore500r almost 2 years ago, still runs great thankfully, with 200k on it.
Kicking around the idea of swapping in a 6.2 or something with more power.
Any recommendations?
Bang for the buck would be swapping in a 6.0 LQ4 or LQ9 if we can find a decent one. 2007 or prior as they are 24 tooth reluctor wheel motors which are compatible with your trucks harness and ECM.

You can build your 5.3 into a 383 too….but it’s starts costing more than most would want to spend

Backlash

Reaction score
-Set of new lifters
-4 new lifter trays
-2 head gaskets
-2 waterpump gaskets
-2 valvecover gaskets

Is "Your guy" a mechanic or someone who works at a machine shop?? I'm going to need to go through a set of heads in the near future, and am wondering if he does that type of work. Just need to R&R a set of heads, no porting or anything crazy.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Bang for the buck would be swapping in a 6.0 LQ4 or LQ9 if we can find a decent one. 2007 or prior as they are 24 tooth reluctor wheel motors which are compatible with your trucks harness and ECM.

You can build your 5.3 into a 383 too….but it’s starts costing more than most would want to spend

Problem is, everyone and their mother wants the 6.0, aren’t they pretty tough to find?

Methinks a plentiful 5.3 can provide 90% of the performance of the 6.0, and they’re available [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Problem is, everyone and their mother wants the 6.0, aren’t they pretty tough to find?

Methinks a plentiful 5.3 can provide 90% of the performance of the 6.0, and they’re available [emoji106]

This is accurate. Especially the HO 5.3 variants like the L33 - Aluminum block, 243/799 heads with high compression pistons.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score

6.0 blocks are getting tougher out here, and in Phoenix. I just sold my 2 to a machine shop up here. I'll regret it, I'm sure. Called on a reman from GM on a customer 6.0...they didn't have any available and no set date. Customer found one from a rebuilder in Phoenix...I was less than impressed.

Whatever you do, either get all parts or make sure shop has all parts in hand. Lead times are killing guys right now.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
I think the BTR crate 5.3 motors are pretty good value at under $4500

Dyno results with various cams