WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Lifting an engine with a supercharger on it

Crackerbox

Reaction score
What do you guys recommend for lifting an engine with a super charger? I found a plate on line that would bolt to the top of the blower (TBS 6-71) but I called the Blower Shop and they said they wouldn't recommend it. A friend with a couple of blower motors said he won't lift them without taking the blowers off. But I need to lift it while I'm fabing up my motor mounts in my '31 Model A and want to make sure I have plenty of clearance to my radiator. I originally set the car up for a small block/700R4 and I'm switching it over to an LS/2004R. I've seen a couple of homemade "halo" set ups that have some webbed straps that come down to the engine. Didn't know if anyone was actually making those and selling them. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
I like throwing a chain to either exhaust manifold where the riser bolts up with the risers off. Assuming you have headers, to opposite ends of the heads where the accessories bolt to. I too wouldn't recommend lifting from the blower as many of them are bolted to the engines with break away bolts in case of a backfire

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
Any chance you could post a picture of that?

I don’t have a picture but this is the basic idea. I used my forklift so lifting height wasn’t an issue. It could be an issue if you’re using a typical lifting hoist.

You could also make a square box slightly larger than the footprint of your lifting points with a strap at each corner.

renodaytona

Reaction score
I used this engine sling from summit. Worked great using a forklift to get my engine in the Daytona.
Daytona Engine Install.jpg

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Protip:

When you attach Anything to an engine, make SURE the bolt you use is the correct length, and can be tightend securely.

I've watched someone try to pull and engine with a way too long bolt through the lifting loop.

Lucky no one got hurt when it snapped.

obnoxious001

Engine building character
Reaction score
Protip:

When you attach Anything to an engine, make SURE the bolt you use is the correct length, and can be tightend securely.

I've watched someone try to pull and engine with a way too long bolt through the lifting loop.

Lucky no one got hurt when it snapped.
May want to consider using grade 8 fastners as well, even more so with the blower on it.

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
Teague likes to put lifting eyes on the heads (where accessories mount. Usually one in front and one in back, catty corners.

lbhsbz

Reaction score
May want to consider using grade 8 fastners as well, even more so with the blower on it.

A lot of people don't understand how bolts work...and that's 95% of the problem. Bolts are designed to be loaded in tension...that’s it. If a bolt is ever subject to a sheer load, the connection has failed and bolt is not far behind. If we thread bolts in finger tight with a chain or hook around them, we will be loading them in sheer. If you stack washers between/around the chain/bracket so that you can tighten it and the bolt serves only to clamp everything to the engine, then it will not be under sheer load as the clamped joint takes all the load.

Last time I picked up a blower motor I pulled the carbs and criss crossed some chains across the top of the blower using the carb adapter holes in the corners. 3 washers under the chain link and 3 washers above clamped the chain nicely while I was able to tighten/torque the bolts to around 35 ft/lbs.

A 5/16" grade 5 bolt, if used property, will support about 4500lbs of load in tension. If you use one at the other end of the chain too, that's 9000lbs of tension load. That's plenty enough for a blown big block...or 3 of them.

Last edited:

Crackerbox

Reaction score
This is the one I ordered. It's back ordered but supposed to be here in about a week and a half. Is there any issue lifting off of those exhaust bolt holes with aluminum heads? Those look like iron heads in your pics. Maybe aluminum just painted.

Zeppelin654

Reaction score
I had no issues at all. They are iron heads though. The straps are long enough that you can pretty much use any holes you want which is nice if you need to angle the engine for install (high in front, low in back etc...). I bet my all iron motor with the blower on it weighs close to 1100 lbs including the oil and engine mounts. After I picked it, I wasn’t worried at all if it would hold. It’s in stock on Amazon btw.

Lavey 29

Reaction score
Just asking for reference --- whats the total height of the blue cherry picker ? Jets boats are very low profile but if one gets or has anything bigger and taller the lift height possible is not even going tp close for the height needed ? I do not know so asking whats the max height for that blue engine lift ? Also what brand and model is that ? THANKS

Zeppelin654

Reaction score
AC Hydraulic WJN10. I only buy ac stuff. All the components are high high quality. For example the crane has a deadman’s knob for lowering the load. You don’t have to mess with a bottle jack deal to bleed off the fluid and then close to stop the descent.

83F861B6-63FB-4D56-A9F3-D8CE5007C8A1.jpeg
I

it’s not maxed out there. And it has good reach. I just had to take the trailer tire off because I had a bunch of stuff behind the boat and my garage is tighter than I’d like