WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Light Bars

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
Looking to add a light bar to my XX, back when I was building up my tacoma I was really plugged into the different light bar options but I stopped caring about 5 years ago. Whats the go-to for a good value light bar?

Seems like everyone and their mother is importing these from China so it's hard to sift through the bullshit. Is Cree still the way to go? Or have they been passed?

PlanB

Reaction score
I have Rigid on my Jeep and am currently doing Baja Designs on the SXS. The Chinese LED's I have seen don't compare to the output of the high quality one's.

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
I have Rigid on my Jeep and am currently doing Baja Designs on the SXS. The Chinese LED's I have seen don't compare to the output of the high quality one's.

Yeah agree that Baja designs and rigid would be better than the chinese ones, I just can't justify 10x the cost for it. For what I am doing, the chinese ones fall under "good enough"

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
Rigid

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AZagpilot

Reaction score
I have Rigid on my Jeep. Great quality but expensive. Learned about Blackoak a couple years ago. More $ than the cheapies but less than Rigid/BD. Outfitted my Rzr and truck. I’m very happy with the output/quality/customer service. American Veteran owned company and gives veteran discount.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Since you don’t want to spend a grand (I don’t blame you) look into Rough Country.

Yes they are China light bars. Yes they are about 70% cheaper, but they are 70% as good.

As with about everything... that last 30% of performance costs 70% more.

My next car I’m going to spend the money on a really good front 10” amber bar from Baja Designs. The over the roof 50” will be Rough Country.

You only use the roof light bar when you are alone or leading.. most other times it is too dusty anyway. A a really good amber Driving light that will cut through the dust is worth it in my opinion.

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
Since you don’t want to spend a grand (I don’t blame you) look into Rough Country.

Yes they are China light bars. Yes they are about 70% cheaper, but they are 70% as good.

As with about everything... that last 30% of performance costs 70% more.

My next car I’m going to spend the money on a really good front 10” amber bar from Baja Designs. The over the roof 50” will be Rough Country.

You only use the roof light bar when you are alone or leading.. most other times it is too dusty anyway. A a really good amber Driving light that will cut through the dust is worth it in my opinion.

Yeah that makes sense, Baja Designs does a kit to fill the hood grill on XX with a 10" bar and I will probably do that in amber.

What I have been struggling to figure out is what is the difference between the Chinese Rough Country and the Chinese Auxbeam for less than half the money still.

desrtrat256

Reaction score
For the last few years, the dust has been so bad in the deserts that I have gone away from overhead light bars all together. My current set up thats working really well in all conditions is 2 quality A pillar lights. I generally run the BD XL 80. They offer more than enough light to haul ass through the desert at night. If you don't think that is enough, then a 10" bar on the bumper or 2 more XL 80s there. Having the light low in the dust is a huge help. I personally also like the looks. Ive never been a Rigid Fan, you pay for a lot of marketing fluff. BD and KC are the 2 brands I stick with on the higher end stuff. For trail cruising, a $8o set of ebay lights will work just fine for most.

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
For the last few years, the dust has been so bad in the deserts that I have gone away from overhead light bars all together. My current set up thats working really well in all conditions is 2 quality A pillar lights. I generally run the BD XL 80. They offer more than enough light to haul ass through the desert at night. If you don't think that is enough, then a 10" bar on the bumper or 2 more XL 80s there. Having the light low in the dust is a huge help. I personally also like the looks. Ive never been a Rigid Fan, you pay for a lot of marketing fluff. BD and KC are the 2 brands I stick with on the higher end stuff. For trail cruising, a $8o set of ebay lights will work just fine for most.

Are your A-Pillars amber or white? I have always subscribed to amber low and white high, but a-pillar is kind of in between

HavaToon

Reaction score
Rigid’ annual side walk sale is this Saturday. Crazy low prices! Starts at 7am.
IMG_4476.jpg

IMG_4475.jpg

IMG_4474.jpg

fishing fool

Reaction score
Check out safeglow, I believe they sale light bars too. I know they do not have their website updated yet.

ltbaney1

Reaction score
what i have found, is the light bar on the roof reflects on the hood, we put flat black vinyl on the hood of our truck and it made a big difference but still prefer A pillar mount and bumper mount.

counterpart7

Reaction score
Baja Designs hands down. Anyone can make a "bright" lightbar and exaggerate output numbers. Useable light is the most important factor and nothing is comparable to BD

I would highly recommend their headlight kit with squadron pros and their hood scoop light. Roof bars are often times a waste and lights below your line of sight will be much more useable.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Yeah that makes sense, Baja Designs does a kit to fill the hood grill on XX with a 10" bar and I will probably do that in amber.

What I have been struggling to figure out is what is the difference between the Chinese Rough Country and the Chinese Auxbeam for less than half the money still.

Probably not a whole lot if we are being honest. For the price buy the Auxbeam. What do you have to lose?

I have a $100 China 30” roof light bar on my RZR (it came with the car). It’s fine for my needs because it rarely gets used. It started getting dust inside it a year and a half ago. I pulled it apart, cleaned everything, sealed the edges with silicone and it’s been great since.

I also have an xprite $100 30” chase light bar and it is amazing. The Can Am drivers behind me say they can see it for miles.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Are your A-Pillars amber or white? I have always subscribed to amber low and white high, but a-pillar is kind of in between

I would recommend white with amber snap on covers for the A pillar. Best of both, and the light is protected from rocks with the amber cover. If you are leading, alone or want white light you have it in 2 seconds.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Skip the roof lights way way over rated. Like mentioned the dust issue or being blinded is enough to almost never use them.

!0" on the front bumper and pods on the a pillar are more than you will ever need.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
Personal opinion Rigid today is actually not even in the upper ranks of the China bars and Rigid is a China bar now days. Since they were bought out there quality has dipped significantly.

If you’re not going china lights i don’t think there’s anything other than Baja Designs and KC and the new KC out shines the BD imho but that’s a simple fact of the larger reflector.

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
Skip the roof lights way way over rated. Like mentioned the dust issue or being blinded is enough to almost never use them.

!0" on the front bumper and pods on the a pillar are more than you will ever need.

The more I think about it and with the deal at Rigid this weekend I thinking about trying to snag a 10" amber to throw in the hood grill of the the XX and some pods for a-pillar and call it a day.

1605200688211.png

Just tempted to get a roof bar because it is already wired up by the previous owner.

Last edited:

HavaToon

Reaction score
Points for you, Mike. Definitely taking advantage of that this weekend.

I’ll be there as well getting some lights for my dads new general. That is getting a 10” for the bumper, pods for the bumper and a pillars.

On my X3, I have a Rigid E series pro 10” flood/hyper spot combo with amber cover and a 40” adapt on the roof. The 10” is perfect for low speed and following, I can out run it at speed easily. The 40” adapt is amazing going from flood to hyper spot and anywhere in between. It does have a good bit of glare in flood to about the driving pattern, from driving to hyper spot the glare is gone. At speed I run the hyper spot pattern and can never outrun it, so much light.

Activated

Deplorable
Reaction score
I would recommend white with amber snap on covers for the A pillar. Best of both, and the light is protected from rocks with the amber cover. If you are leading, alone or want white light you have it in 2 seconds.

I was looking for amber covers for stock headlights with no luck. I read somewhere people try tape but that doesn’t sound good to me.

Have you seen stock headlight covers anywhere?

Groper

Reaction score
One thing to think about when purchasing Light bars, Pilar, Bumper lighting is where do you park or how is your vehicle parked or what are you willing to loose.
I have Rigid & BD products on my off road vehicles that are for the most part parked in a garage and almost never unattended.
I don't anyone that hasn't had something stolen from their vehicles when parked unattended at a Boat Show, Off Road Show, a large sporting event or Malls.

My JKRU is parked in parking lots, parking garages and other public parking areas for those reasons I use GG Lighting great light's for less than half the cost of Rigid or BD, GG has deals throughout the year when you sign up for their mailing list the other reason is their 10min away.

SKIDMARC

Reaction score
Looking to add a light bar to my XX, back when I was building up my tacoma I was really plugged into the different light bar options but I stopped caring about 5 years ago. Whats the go-to for a good value light bar?

Seems like everyone and their mother is importing these from China so it's hard to sift through the bullshit. Is Cree still the way to go? Or have they been passed?

I went with Arsenal. Got them from Amazon for $170.00 good construction and brightness without breaking the bank.

desrtrat256

Reaction score

Like LargeOrangeFont said, clear lenses with the amber covers is the ticket. The amber is a much softer light which means its easier on the eyes and you dont get a lot of harsh reflections. You still get some but it is not as bad. I prefer ambers but its a personal preference.

what i have found, is the light bar on the roof reflects on the hood, we put flat black vinyl on the hood of our truck and it made a big difference but still prefer A pillar mount and bumper mount.

Yup. It also reflects off the dust right back into your eyes. The lower you get them the less it will do that. You need significantly less light in the UTV than people think, I can drive just as hard at night with 2 good a pillar lights than I can with a full bars and all the light. Often you see racers with all the lights so they can toggle around depending on dust conditions and how the drivers eyes are feeling.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
One thing to think about when purchasing Light bars, Pilar, Bumper lighting is where do you park or how is your vehicle parked or what are you willing to loose.
I have Rigid & BD products on my off road vehicles that are for the most part parked in a garage and almost never unattended.
I don't anyone that hasn't had something stolen from their vehicles when parked unattended at a Boat Show, Off Road Show, a large sporting event or Malls.

My JKRU is parked in parking lots, parking garages and other public parking areas for those reasons I use GG Lighting great light's for less than half the cost of Rigid or BD, GG has deals throughout the year when you sign up for their mailing list the other reason is their 10min away.

always made me nervous parking my jk with 5k in rigid lights anywhere.

Perhaps a couple weld tacks on the bolts would atleast slow people down. no a huge deal to use a cut off wheel to remove but most people wont have that in a mall parking lot.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I was looking for amber covers for stock headlights with no luck. I read somewhere people try tape but that doesn’t sound good to me.

Have you seen stock headlight covers anywhere?

Not anything snap on, only the amber stick on overlays like you mentioned. I have ran them on a street car in the past and they held up OK.

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
always made me nervous parking my jk with 5k in rigid lights anywhere.

Perhaps a couple weld tacks on the bolts would atleast slow people down. no a huge deal to use a cut off wheel to remove but most people wont have that in a mall parking lot.
Apparently you haven’t dealt with well prepared thieves.😊

It would probably help with impulse crimes maybe.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Apparently you haven’t dealt with well prepared thieves.😊

It would probably help with impulse crimes maybe.

Just trying to slow them down. I have enough tools in my truck where nothing is safe if i really wanted in.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
The more I think about it and with the deal at Rigid this weekend I thinking about trying to snag a 10" amber to throw in the hood grill of the the XX and some pods for a-pillar and call it a day.

View attachment 942020

Just tempted to get a roof bar because it is already wired up by the previous owner.

spot light for the front bar and combo for the pillars and it will light up ahead and you can point the a pillar pods out to the side a bit to fill in the gaps and see the sides.

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
Ultra Vision is coming...

to the US

guest hs

Reaction score
Have a Rogue 4 by Wet Sounds for sale I sent you a PM

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
I have rigid on my a pillar with amber covers. They work really well especially at dusk. I also have a top mounted light bar that I can only use if I am leading. Any dust and it’s useless. I want to put a 10” bar with amber lens in my grill and that would be perfect.

petie6464

Reaction score

Had the same issue with my truck that is white. The 52" roof mount was horrible, more glare in the cab from the hood than light down range. I moved it back about 10" and it fixed the issue, although doesn't look so good.

AZmike

Eastsider
Reaction score
I went to the rigid sale last year and got a 32" double row and 10" sr for my razor. Paid 400 for both with all the wiring and switches. I thought spending more for a quality name was worth it.

ltbaney1

Reaction score
Had the same issue with my truck that is white. The 52" roof mount was horrible, more glare in the cab from the hood than light down range. I moved it back about 10" and it fixed the issue, although doesn't look so good.
thats another option, before the LED light bars we were running 6 8" lights off the roll cage where the tubes tied into the cab in the back.

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
alright so for the 10" bar I will mount in the grill, should I get an amber bar, or a white bar and an amber cover? Anyone know any performance differences between a dedicated amber light and a white light with amber cover?

DLC

Reaction score
Get white light with 2- amber covers have one cover as a back up in case one gets broken or jacked.

The amber cover also helps with on coming traffic during the day , I try to run mine all the time, it has a hi Lo in the switch and wiring

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Get white light with 2- amber covers have one cover as a back up in case one gets broken or jacked.

The amber cover also helps with on coming traffic during the day , I try to run mine all the time, it has a hi Lo in the switch and wiring

Do you remember what yours is? Im assuming On6+ but is it Driving, Spot or Driving Combo? That light is awesome.

Reactions: DLC

DLC

Reaction score
Do you remember what yours is? Im assuming On6+ but is it Driving, Spot or Driving Combo? That light is awesome.
I kinda forget but I think it’s the on6 I do think it’s the D- combo, the best part is high low switching. Shoot I kinda forgot where I bought it....

I have been thinking about add another pair of xl 80 at the A pillar w white lens and going yellow covers on the bumper xl80’s.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I kinda forget but I think it’s the on6 I do think it’s the D- combo, the best part is high low switching. Shoot I kinda forgot where I bought it....

I have been thinking about add another pair of xl 80 at the A pillar w white lens and going yellow covers on the bumper xl80’s.

I think i'm gonna bite the bullet and get that same light bar you have up front and mount it in the grill or bumper of the Speed car. I'll do a cheaper curved 50" on the roof and a chase light bar and call it good.

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
thats another option, before the LED light bars we were running 6 8" lights off the roll cage where the tubes tied into the cab in the back.
Was just going to say go old school from back in the day. 😊

DLC

Reaction score
This is a 10inch driving combo it’s a skinny light, I got it for my jeep down on my winch, the On6 is taller larger reflectors

249C74CD-A3FB-4905-AC52-F42CF67EAF3F.jpeg

JUSTWANNARACE

I will not let them take me🤣🤣
Reaction score

Been using them for years, have installed many on sxs, trucks and ATV's. They last and seal longer than any rigid I have ever done. You can also get them that change from white to amber with a flip of a switch! They have as lot of options. And the owner is a fellow offroader!

wallnutz

Reaction score
This has been the best set up on a side x side that I have had over the years. Baja Design ambers down low and Baja Design whites on the pillars. Hardly ever turn the pillar lights on.
55B0FE50-1E8B-4E80-80E1-815B8DF1A01F.png

I still run old HID pencil beams on my sandrail, I have a rigid bar on it that never gets turned on, even if I’m leading lol.

PlanB

Reaction score
This is a 10inch driving combo it’s a skinny light, I got it for my jeep down on my winch, the On6 is taller larger reflectors

View attachment 942176

Same one I am doing on the Can Am on the bumper. Going with white for now, and a 40" half white / half amber (dual control) on the roof. If the white does not work on the bumper I will switch the bumper to amber and the 40" to all white.

Edit: Actually it's the 6+

451013_l.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: DLC