WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Like a phoenix rising from the ashes.

whiteworks

Custom Shutters by WhiteWorks
Reaction score
Figured you guy might dig on this, or not. Anyways I’m at this charity event two years ago, I built a surfboard to be auctioned off for the CHP-1199 foundation. There is a silent auction/cocktail hour before the event and I’m hanging out next to this 10’ wood surfboard that will be auctioned off live later in the evening. Fielding questions and having a good time, when this guy comes up and says he’s seen my boards around some other events and tonight he’s gonna buy this board. His energy was pretty high so I asked him why he wanted this board. He starts telling me that his grand father had this old beach house built in 1907 and it had been a family gathering place for generations, every Sunday his grandfather threw big parties, tons of food and families, all his employees were invited to have fun at the beach, but don’t be late for work on Monday type deal.

His grand father had passed away a few years ago and the house had been sitting and no one was using it anymore, it was just a little beach shack to hang at. So the family had decided to tear down the house and build a new badass pad there that the whole family (family has grown over the years) could gather at. He wanted to purchase the 1199 foundation board to display in the new house they were going to build as his grand father was a big supporter of the 1199-Foundation and one of the founding members.

I asked if the house was still there and he said it was scheduled to be demoed the following week. I then tell him he does not want this board we’re standing next to, and he say why not? I tell him that his 1907 house is full of old growth lumber and we could salvage some wood from it and build a surfboard to be displayed in the new home from the old home, like a phoenix rising from the ashes. Hes stoked, I’m stoked and the following week I went and pulled some lumber from the home.

This process is a ton of work, you have to find and remove any nails from the material, then mill everything and the waste factor is around 60-70% before you even start the build.

Two years later the new board from the old house is now hanging in the new house. Ironically enough this lumber was pulled from a second floor exterior wall where it stood for over 100 years, and the surfboard is now installed in almost the same location XYZ on the spot where it will be for the next 100 years. So cool to be apart of this process and give this family a sentimental heirloom that will help ease the pain of tearing down the old family home and be a very fun talking point when having guests over. I’ll put up a few pics, if you guys want more we can go there.
6F75C9DC-AA45-48D2-9E8C-BB57C5BA52F6.jpeg
8A4D43F6-4CFF-4EE3-B261-22A9E83DD19F.jpeg
9A749509-CBDC-4A9F-8CDA-31D80D9F86D2.jpeg
0015CE98-290B-490C-AA01-49E350C61647.jpeg

Last edited:

whiteworks

Reaction score
Couple build pics, amazingly enough I found some 100+ year old sap inside some material once I began milling and it was still sticky, blew my mind. Held it up to the sun and took a photo with light coming through it.
68D76F51-7B44-4AE3-A069-7BC054125670.jpeg
98329677-C3AB-49F5-8CAA-1889D6019DEC.jpeg
441B167E-2A09-4CDD-911F-108335B83297.jpeg
4CA64C23-DF99-453E-930E-F6BA34FAFBFC.jpeg

Last edited:

whiteworks

Reaction score
Gonna jump around a bit to keep things interesting. We had some art work created of the old home and I used it a few times on this board. One of the salvaged pieces of material was some old plywood cabinet doors most likely installed in the 50’s as that’s about the time plywood came into play. I made an old school D-fin for the board and burned the image in with a laser. It’s a cool touch.
2573CC85-72F0-4009-96F5-E5B1EE04D012.jpeg
AD07A551-9E31-4520-9364-BE1A5D26CB13.jpeg
8F6AA15D-2DAB-44DB-80B8-DBE4210AE64E.jpeg
11F825F1-6AE9-488B-ACC9-0901832425BB.jpeg

whiteworks

Reaction score
Skills, serious skills! I never could surf for shit, but loved the look of the old long boards. It's very cool, the source and history of the materials, but the skills to piece it together are amazing.

Cliff Claven facts:

In 1938 Tom Blake invented the hollow wooden surfboard. Tom was a rescue swimmer on the north shore of Oahu and got the idea to build a hollow wooden surfboard by looking at an airplane wing with rib style construction. Prior to 1938 you would cut down a tree and carve out the board, some weighing several hundred pounds.

This new style rescue board he designed and built was called a kook box, it paddled a lot faster and was responsible for saving many lives. Over the next decade hollow/chambered boards were being developed, lighter boards, new shapes, more maneuverability. This was the first technical revolution in surfing and had a profound effect on how people surfed. By 1948 or so foam and fiber glass technologies had been developed during the war effort and returning veterans applied that technology to building surfboards, foam and glass was better, faster, cheaper. It’s been in place for the last 70 years.

The average tour pro will go through 100 surfboards a season, they snap and end up on the land full. Just some food for thought.

My focus is on this lost decade of surfboards, and creating boards that will last for generations. I use CAD programs, CNC Lasers and any other technology I can get my hands on to create a hybrid process of latest technology and old school hand built benchmade craftsmanship.
F75A78EE-F929-4F3C-A13D-F82F36E61FEB.jpeg
1F2F0455-1B71-403E-A8F3-E90AE0309578.jpeg
FF5038CF-6E35-4FEE-9B79-AE245B80BB3C.jpeg

rivergames

Reaction score
Bad Ass Amigo! How many hours do you put into building a board? Fine craftmanship right there [emoji106]

82daytona

Reaction score
Such a cool story! Imagine the memories in that house being so old and being on the water. Thanks for sharing with us. Great work as always!

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score

Backlash

Reaction score
Pretty badass WW!!! Keep the pics coming Brother!!! Not to derail this thread, but in the process of remodeling our 100 year old home, I too notice a difference in the lumber. It's amazing how dense the old wood is compared to the new crap they sell. I've saved as much of the old wood as I could while doing the work and have it stockpiled in the garage to be used later for countertops and such. I dont have the heart to throw it out regardless of what my wife says! 😁 Thanks for sharing this with us! 👍

snowhammer

Exploratory Vacation Time
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing, amazing craftsmanship. That image on the fin is such a great touch.

whiteworks

Reaction score
Bad Ass Amigo! How many hours do you put into building a board? Fine craftmanship right there [emoji106]
I don’t really clock in and out but I average about 100 man hours on a build, this one has a lot of action and required more time than regular 😂 I’m guessing there was an extra 20-30 hours into this build just on the lumber salvage and milling process, on top of that a lot of the material was about 7’ in length and the board finished out at 9’8” so my board stretcher was used a bit which adds to the process 😉

whiteworks

Reaction score
Pretty badass WW!!! Keep the pics coming Brother!!! Not to derail this thread, but in the process of remodeling our 100 year old home, I too notice a difference in the lumber. It's amazing how dense the old wood is compared to the new crap they sell. I've saved as much of the old wood as I could while doing the work and have it stockpiled in the garage to be used later for countertops and such. I dont have the heart to throw it out regardless of what my wife says! 😁 Thanks for sharing this with us! 👍

Here is a photo showing some new redwood you would find at depot construction grade sap wood vs. some premium old growth heart. This is some of my good stuff I have stashed and about 800 years old prior to harvest, 30 grains per inch is some pretty dense stuff, newer is a bit less as you can see here. I have some redwood that if you could find it at a lumber house in the LA area you could expect to pay $800. for a 2”x10”x10’ stick. I enjoy giving this old lumber and any lumber a new life as a desirable object. These surfboards definitely have some soul to them.
35E46361-38C7-4BE5-8530-5EF27E0C0BFF.jpeg
EE623F07-AA06-41FB-8762-9C1070406D4C.jpeg

rivergames

Reaction score
I don’t really clock in and out but I average about 100 man hours on a build, this one has a lot of action and required more time than regular [emoji23] I’m guessing there was an extra 20-30 hours into this build just on the lumber salvage and milling process, on top of that a lot of the material was about 7’ in length and the board finished out at 9’8” so my board stretcher was used a bit which adds to the process [emoji6]
Sounds like when we have to make tile stretch when an architect adds an area last minute to our project!

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
Very nice WW. What you are doing is invaluable for that family. Its much much more than a surfboard on a wall. Its generational family memories and acknowledgement to their past which is priceless

well done!

HBCraig

Reaction score
That's a gift dude. Really

I wish I could make shit like that.

Freaking sweet

Taboma

Reaction score
Amazing work sir and what a great story. 👍 Never had a hollow wood surfboard, only foam and glass. Your work however reminds me of a paddle board (SUP) I had and used up at Lake Arrowhead during the mid-50's. Wasn't glassed, just varnish, no skag but it did have a drain plug.

whiteworks

Reaction score
Wow. Incredible craftsmanship.
I’ve been trying to get a good grasp on what exactly that means for a while now. I refer to this stuff in my life as an accidental skill set, acquired out of nessicity and saying yes to shit I had no idea how to do. For years I would always say yes to projects when asked to do them, it was a confident yes on the surface, you know like “oh yeah, no big deal, do it all the time” in reality it was always well now I have to figure out how the fuck to make that happen and not get sued in the process LOL. One day you wake up and realize you know some shit, and making normal things is just no longer of interest. I know so many dudes that have way more tools than I do, and are much better woodworkers than I am, however most of them are caught in a cycle of making boxes over and over and over and over again, That cabinet shop black hole is a great way to burn up your life in exchange for money LOL These boards have opened up another level of interest and passion for me and I’m just scratching the surface of concepts bouncing around in my noodle. What I do know is there may be about 1000 dudes on the planet building wood surfboards right now, it’s a rare pursuit given the current population on earth.

dave29

Reaction score
Whiteworks, about 25 years ago I invited a buddy of mine to the 11-99 Golf tournament. His name was Glenn Kennedy. We golfed, had a great time, ate and drank a lot. The following year Glenn calls me and says he's shaping a board that he wants to donate for auction at the next tournament. We go to the tournament and Glenn had shaped this beautiful board with the 11-99 logo on it. He was a generous, fun loving guy who shaped and surfed his entire life and he passed last year.
Thanks for the story that brought back great memories.

whiteworks

Reaction score
Amazing work sir and what a great story. 👍 Never had a hollow wood surfboard, only foam and glass. Your work however reminds me of a paddle board (SUP) I had and used up at Lake Arrowhead during the mid-50's. Wasn't glassed, just varnish, no skag but it did have a drain plug.
Sounds like a kook box type design, could be worth a small fortune depending on what it was and who made it.

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
I assume your asking about the internal frame work where the spar and stringer pieces cross? If so yes a kerf type cut is used on both pieces where they intersect. View attachment 867132 View attachment 867133 View attachment 867134

Yep. I'd like to see some of those pictures. Woodworking fascinated me some reason.

I've got a set of plans on the shelf for a Woodstock sailplane, it is all wood construction. The wing spars are spliced during construction and I've never seen good pictures on how that type of joint is constructed.

Last edited:

HB2LHC

Reaction score
So cool. I grew up in the surfboard industry and you are a top notch board builder. Insane.

Music to my Ears

Conducting Beautiful Music
Reaction score
I remember you sharing that story and pictures off your phone when awhile back. Such a great story and incredible craftsmanship! Nice work Dylan.

Taboma

Reaction score
Sounds like a kook box type design, could be worth a small fortune depending on what it was and who made it.

Looked up Kook Box --- Yup, that's what it looked like, including the brass drain plug. Although not as pretty as the one in this pic I found, but design the same.
I can't begin to recall what happened to that board over the years. More than likely I just traded paddleboarding for boating and water skiing and dad sold it or traded it off.
brass_drain_plug_kookbox_1024x1024.jpg

whiteworks

Reaction score
Whiteworks, about 25 years ago I invited a buddy of mine to the 11-99 Golf tournament. His name was Glenn Kennedy. We golfed, had a great time, ate and drank a lot. The following year Glenn calls me and says he's shaping a board that he wants to donate for auction at the next tournament. We go to the tournament and Glenn had shaped this beautiful board with the 11-99 logo on it. He was a generous, fun loving guy who shaped and surfed his entire life and he passed last year.
Thanks for the story that brought back great memories.

Getting exposed to the CHP 1199 Foundation has been a very cool thing for me. I’ve built two boards for them now over the last few years that have been auctioned off at the golf tournament. It’s been a great tournament to play in as well. I’m stoked to hear about your pal doing this same thing with the foundation, makes me feel like I’m carrying some sort of torch for a while.

I was having lunch up at Harris Ranch and a CHP airship landed at the airstrip to grab some lunch. I struck up a conversation. With the he flight crew, pilot, copilot, and flight nurse. Showed them some photos of the CHP boards and talked about 1199. All three had nothing but good things to say about the foundation and had kids that had received scholarships through the organization. I was about to leave and the pilot told me to wait a minute, he ran out to the airship and came back and gave me a challenge coin from there air division. The whole interaction was confirmation that I’m keeping good company with 1199.

I woke up Christmas morning 2017 and heard the news about officer Andrew Camilierri who had been hit by a drunk driver on Christmas Eve and killed while on duty. He had three small kids and the kids opened their presents and stuff before they found out Dad wasn't coming home, that one fucked me up. I reached out to the foundation the following day to offer another build for the following tournament with the funds to benefit his children. I used a little bit of the reclaimed house lumber on that build, and I also wrote officer Camilleris name on the stringer of that board where I sign them.

Looking Glass

1 = Well = Known = Member
Reaction score
When you began this Great Story you said a Little Beach Shack. I pictured a totally different structure than it was. I am just too much of a grunt, as that would have been just fine for me and all I would need for as long as on this planet. Exactly what I would Love VS. the IMO out of place "NEW" places that sprung up long after this "SHACK" was built. I would have voted "NO" to a tear down a part of that family.

What you do is a work of "ART" and deserve to be very proud!!

whiteworks

Reaction score
When you began this Great Story you said a Little Beach Shack. I pictured a totally different structure than it was. I am just too much of a grunt, as that would have been just fine for me and all I would need for as long as on this planet. Exactly what I would Love VS. the IMO out of place "NEW" places that sprung up long after this "SHACK" was built. I would have voted "NO" to a tear down a part of that family.

What you do is a work of "ART" and deserve to be very proud!!
You and me both, however I will say that decision took 6 years to make and was not something the family easily chose to do. I get the sentiment 100%, but I also get the idea of having new badass stuff and putting your own stamp on things in your own time. This board has helped bridge the crossing into the future, while paying tribute to the past.

The new pad is next level, totally get it having been in both places I would not hesitate for a minute to live there LOL

troostr

GOT MILK?
Reaction score
I'm thinking that house is Newport/Balboa? I feel like I recognize it from my years going up and down that boardwalk

I know the house next door, and always thought that house was so Old School beach house cool.

WW, that is such a bad ass skill! You've blessed that family more that I think you'll ever know. And you're work with 11-99 exponentially more! 11-99 is an amazing foundation! As long as I can remember my dad has been a big supporter, even after we moved to NM.
I remember a time it played out for his favor as well- I was 5 or 6 and I went with my dad to pick up a '34 Packard Super 8 he had restored that was just finished up. We were driving it back from Riverside to Mira Loma up Mission blvd and he decided to see how super a "super 8" was. I remember barley being able to see over the window sill (I was NOT allowed to sit on my knees on the new upholstery lol) but watched the speedo peg at 120 and hearing the rpm's still climb! Then all of the sudden pops slammed on the brakes "oh F***- I'm going to get a ticket!" This is a vivid memory because there were some firsts for me in very short caption of time. The first time I got to pick up a fresh finished old car with my dad, the first time I remember going over 100 mph, the first time I heard pops drop an F bomb, and the first time I'd been in the car getting pulled over by the police. So the CHP officer walks up, asks for my dad's license and when he pulled it out, noticed he had an 11-99 logo on his wallet (my dad's had all kinds of 11-99 gear over the years) The officer asked about the wallet, never really even looking at my dad's license, and then it turned into a one car carshow. We rolled away with a warning and my dad gained a new friend. Our business still sends donations to 11-99.

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
You said you have CAD Cam and CNC. Are you cutting your own ribs and stringers?
What wood are you using on the deck? Redwood?

whiteworks

Reaction score
I know the house next door, and always thought that house was so Old School beach house cool.

WW, that is such a bad ass skill! You've blessed that family more that I think you'll ever know. And you're work with 11-99 exponentially more! 11-99 is an amazing foundation! As long as I can remember my dad has been a big supporter, even after we moved to NM.
I remember a time it played out for his favor as well- I was 5 or 6 and I went with my dad to pick up a '34 Packard Super 8 he had restored that was just finished up. We were driving it back from Riverside to Mira Loma up Mission blvd and he decided to see how super a "super 8" was. I remember barley being able to see over the window sill (I was NOT allowed to sit on my knees on the new upholstery lol) but watched the speedo peg at 120 and hearing the rpm's still climb! Then all of the sudden pops slammed on the brakes "oh F***- I'm going to get a ticket!" This is a vivid memory because there were some firsts for me in very short caption of time. The first time I got to pick up a fresh finished old car with my dad, the first time I remember going over 100 mph, the first time I heard pops drop an F bomb, and the first time I'd been in the car getting pulled over by the police. So the CHP officer walks up, asks for my dad's license and when he pulled it out, noticed he had an 11-99 logo on his wallet (my dad's had all kinds of 11-99 gear over the years) The officer asked about the wallet, never really even looking at my dad's license, and then it turned into a one car carshow. We rolled away with a warning and my dad gained a new friend. Our business still sends donations to 11-99.
Here a few 1199 shots I did for the 35th anniversary board and the challenge coin. The tournament is usually in September. I’m not sure what’s happening with it this year, but I’ve played it the last few years and enjoyed the event. They have a big event up at the jet center in monterey to kick off pebble beach deal. It’s pretty curated but I think the right board would do very good at that event.
33228ED3-07B1-4537-8152-3C248D7F03CF.jpeg
745C9808-3AC9-4798-85DA-0F595AAB5E00.jpeg
46FF71F4-FE4D-4A8E-8ACD-92AB7FDFD591.jpeg

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
Wow, great work!!! You got me thinking of my youth when we would be surfing and a group of guys would paddle around the coast coming from the Molokai to Oahu paddle board race. Thanks for sharing your work. It is simply amazing!!!!!

whiteworks

Reaction score
You said you have CAD Cam and CNC. Are you cutting your own ribs and stringers?
What wood are you using on the deck? Redwood?
I’m using a software program to design the boards and then convert that file into a vector file and cut the internals on a CNC laser.

I have used several different species of wood, Bass, Walnut, Redwood, Mahogany, Red Cedar, Yellow Cedar, Fir. I’ve got some Palownia stashed that will get the weight down to the foam and glass range.
0AF348C0-AFA9-4A7B-BA33-39E865855483.jpeg
1EFC9377-BF1A-4450-AA5C-2AE1D9CC347F.jpeg
3E96718E-5D30-4BFB-9138-BE37A8D8FF00.png

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Here a few 1199 shots I did for the 35th anniversary board and the challenge coin. The tournament is usually in September. I’m not sure what’s happening with it this year, but I’ve played it the last few years and enjoyed the event. They have a big event up at the jet center in monterey to kick off pebble beach deal. It’s pretty curated but I think the right board would do very good at that event. View attachment 867184 View attachment 867185 View attachment 867186
Really nice wagon. First one I drove scared the hell out of me, had no idea they creaked so much going out driveways. First one I built I learned a lot about mirroring bracket patterns for missing hardware. Beautiful cars, but will test your patience.

Heylam

Reaction score
What glassing schedule are you using, and do you go with poly or epoxy?

DB / HAV

Reaction score
Awesome thread, great stuff right here. I’ve been an 11-99 foundation member for over 20 years. Awesome organization!

whiteworks

Reaction score
What glassing schedule are you using, and do you go with poly or epoxy?
My standard lay is 2 layers of 4oz on the deck and single layer of 4oz on the bottom. Poly has been good to me, but there are some cool products on the market I’ve looked into.

whiteworks

Reaction score
few shots of the nose and bottom after the flip. You can see some nail holes, those added a challenge during glassing but that distressed look adds so much character to this board and the story behind it.

ACA25581-4545-4631-9BBF-CB90B7192450.jpeg
232E577C-32F3-44D8-AC41-CC3F2B778065.jpeg
0E99BD89-A43D-47E3-86EC-C549E54C6708.jpeg

whiteworks

Reaction score
this is the board after final shape and sanding, it’s always an interesting point in the process when its done and if you don’t stop working on it things get messed up, you just stop and walk away.
522846CE-3447-4F6C-A588-1840337D69FD.jpeg
96A14F45-E8B2-48FF-9A16-D482DDA84D54.jpeg
3CF47E88-DD60-4C27-9EC1-2EC2762632DF.jpeg