WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Like seeing a ghost

Sportin' Wood

Reaction score
DSCF0077.jpg

Have you ever stumbled upon something from your childhood that shaped who you are?

That car pictured above is the sole reason I am as involved in desert racing as I am. I can not believe it still exist.

Larry Schwacofer and Sid Spradlin raced this car in the Mid 80's in the SCORE baja series. I think they won a few Baja 1000's in the Class 6.
An even more bizarre fact about this car is that Jack Mcgrath 7 time supercross racer Jermey Mcgrath's father was part of the chase crew for this car. The car liked to eat transmissions, and the team was always cheating the rules. The guys put the body on a truck chassis one year and got caught. the next year they grafted the front of a truck frame onto the stock car frame and did it so well no one could ever tell. One of the other guys in the class went so far as to bring another old chevy down to tech and tried to figure out what they were doing.

When I was a kid the whole neighborhood would gather around when they would work on the car. I told the kids in the group that someday I was going to race in the Baja 1000. They all just laughed! 2008 I will get my chance. The funny thing is that I told that story to Sal Fish last weekend at the offroad Expo and it brought a tear to his eye. Now this weekend I find this car raced in the MORE powder Puff race today. It's like seeing a ghost. If this car is racing in the 40th Baja 1000 in November I'm gonna track it down and see what I can do to get even 5 minutes in that car.

Anyone have any material item like this shape who they are? Obssesion? maybe, but damn that thing was just plain cool when I was a kid.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Cool pic and take.
Vehicles like this are why we have names like "Oldsmobile Hill" ect at most off road areas.

Ari

Reaction score
Great story Jeff & great pic. I'm sure you are laying down some plans to acquire that thing one of these days :)

pw383426

Reaction score
I know how you feel.

My grandfather raced a 1955 Fuel injected Dodge Coronet in the 60's with a hemi.

About a year ago we had found it, with the same paint job and everything. My whole family has been trying to weazel it from the guy who owns it, but just can't come up with the cash. It would be a great 72nd birthday present! He's still a racer, but we're keeping it a second.

AWESOME FIND THERE

angiebaby

Mountain Mama
Reaction score
Great story Jeff & great pic. I'm sure you are laying down some plans to acquire that thing one of these days :)

SW here;

The thought crossed my mind but the reallity of my wifes hand upside the back of my head quickly knocked some sense into me. Nice to visit, not to own.:D I have enough yard art.

Baja Big Dog

Banned
Reaction score
This is as nice as the guy in the RollRoyce that is runnig around a lot of off road races, nice guy, cool car!!:D