• Welcome to River Dave's Place

Lily pad recommendations (troubling)

Discussion in 'RD's Lounge' started by ONE-A-DAY, Jul 6, 2019.

1. ONE-A-DAY

ONE-A-DAY Well-Known Member

As much as I said I would never strap one these things to the back of my boat, unfortunately the pressure from our three year sold pseudo grandson (long story) means it’s time to get one. And it’s not so bad having one on the back of our toon, not gonna strap it across the back of my daytona, that would be criminal.

What’s the good ones and the ones to avoid? Was there a RDP hook up somewhere on them? Not really worried about price, just don’t want to buy one and then end up needing to buy another in six months when it falls apart.

2. 236eagledave

236eagledave Well-Known Member

Bought an I-float for the grandkids. Good quality pad but what a pain in the butt. Wouldn’t be so bad with a toon but I have a 236. Transport is a hassle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

572ext likes this.
  3. ONE-A-DAY

I see people fighting with the things all the time to get them rolled back up. That and when they unroll them they don’t lay flat.

4. 185EZ

185EZ Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
    DWC likes this.
  5. rrrr

rrrr Well-Known Member

I like the Big Mable. It's a fun ride.

They're a pain to fill with the little 12V compressors. I installed a tee and a couple of valves in the 1.25" tubing from the blower box supplying air to my boat lift, and added a 6' piece of tubing to the valved tee outlet.

The boat lift blower will fill even the largest towables in little more than a minute. I used a little 1 gallon shop vac kept in the dock box to deflate the towable.

This setup cuts out a lot of hassle.

6. ONE-A-DAY

What size? My preference would as small as possible to hold a little kid and maybe an adult or two hanging on to the sides drinking beers. Don’t want a huge thing that is heavy and a huge pita to deal with. They have a 10 footer.

7. 236eagledave

236eagledave Well-Known Member

It’s a 6 x 12. Plenty big for a few little ones and a few adults around the edges. Weight isn’t a problem. Rolling it up alone is a challenge.

8. rvrrun

rvrrun Well-Known Member

We have the iFloat (had a Lily Pad first and it sucks), we unroll it and flip it over so the ends that want to curl up are facing the water. When it’s time to go, flip it back over and roll it up. There is no deal that I know of, but we got ours from the mfgr and they gave us a deal because it was a remnant (a little over 20’).

9. BHC Vic

BHC Vic cobra performance boats

Someone told me yesterday there’s a lady in canyon lake that sells off sizes for a good price. I’ll post contact info if I get it. The size the chick was showing me yesterday was perfect i think she said 8x10. On that note you guys can try your own luck, but my wife was not too happy about the whole thing :rolleyes:. At least I know I still got it :cool:

10. Rbcconst

Rbcconst Well-Known Member

I bought one from this guy out of vegas. He delivered it at the river. There fun for beach days. Bring an extra anchor for it otherwise it washes up on the beach or you cant get it far enough away from the back of the boat which makes you feel if they fall off there gonna bump there head.

Dont remember the guys name because i stored the number under lilipad 1 (702) 994-3078

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

11. throttle

throttle c ya on da lake

Check Costco online and have it shipped. I picked up one at the end of summer last year. I think I paid a little over $300 for it, don’t remember. We been enjoying it a little.

IMG_0823.jpg

Ballsdeep likes this.
  12. MrsVP

MrsVP Well-Known Member

We got ours at Sam's club. American made. Haven't had it out yet, but it's on clearance for 199 right now

13. ONE-A-DAY

Holds a couple adults? Has a tie off ring or similar?

throttle likes this.
  14. 77charger

77charger Well-Known Member

Lol my deal my daughter wanted one and a friend was selling a 6x10 west marine one got it for 150 he asked me when buying why you want one. Well after rolling it out to stay flat which it finally did to rolling it up I know why he sold it. But it does fit on rear swim step fine and left it on boat overnight at hotel no one took it.

15. RiverDave

RiverDave In it to win it

Walt buy the I Float and buy the “I ski” system with it (or if you want to wait we can make it in my garage when I’m a little better it’s pretty simple)

LowRiver2 likes this.
  16. RiverDave

I believe his name is Andy. Nice guy

17. OldSchoolBoats

OldSchoolBoats Boatless

Walt, key is to unroll it and then flip it on the opposite side of the roll (if that makes sense). I am always freaked out about the kids falling off and hitting the prop, so I always drag it out away from the boat and tie a box anchor off it.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

18. RiverDave

That is the problem.. generally the better they float the more they don’t want to roll or unroll.

Why not just use a small sandspike or something? Seems like a box anchor is a little overkill.

Have you seen the I ski system for I float? They have a thin Kevlar strip between the foam layers so it doesn’t tear. They then through bolt two aluminum flats with a tow points on the two corners. On the top they have a rope to two eyelids.. makes the pad so you can tow it with kids standing up.

Would be perfect for your kids.

19. RiverDave

20. Riverbound

Riverbound Banned

I bought a noodle man float a few years ago. It floated way better than the more popular floats. But like others said was a bit more difficult to roll up. Unfortunately someone “borrowed” it from my storage and didn’t return it. So now will be buying another one.

21. throttle

throttle c ya on da lake

Yes, had 4 adults on it with a cooler. Has a long bungee strap that I clip to anchor line or cleat on boat. It doesn’t look like it’s currently available.

22. El Chingon

El Chingon Well-Known Member

Just saw the Sam's club one in glendora priced at $169. 15' x 6'.

Croz, MrsVP and throttle like this.
  23. TCHB

TCHB Well-Known Member

Get him some arm floties.

24. 4Waters

4Waters Well-Known Member

The best lily pad is the one your buddy brings.

25. Rondog4405

Rondog4405 Well-Known Member

Bought a 12ft ifloat last year.. Ive had it out once. Pain in the ass to deal with ..

26. Mikes56

Mikes56 Well-Known Member

I have a Lilypad and it's a complete pain in the ass. It takes two people to carry it, difficult to store, etc. BUT, I've never seen so many kids have such a good time on ours.

DWC and CJ_Donahue like this.
  27. Singleton

Singleton Well-Known Member

I got a short cut direct from lily pad (@ Havasu boat show). It is only 9’ long and works perfect.
    Also much cheaper then the standard 12’ long versions, and easier to manage.

I also purchased an extra set of Velcro straps, so I can attach and carry on top of swim steps.

CJ_Donahue likes this.
  28. CJ_Donahue

CJ_Donahue Well-Known Member

My recommendation: Don't buy one. I did and now my my wife and kids want it every trip. I find myself stuck at the same place all day now. No more jumping in and leaving. It is now 20 minutes of packing up each time. Even worse than an Ez-up shade.

That being said, your grandkids will love it.

brgrcru and DWC like this.
  29. milkmoney

milkmoney Well-Known Member

Cant use it much when u go home early all the time

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Rondog4405 likes this.
  30. mjc

mjc Nosy Neighbor

31. Not Important

Not Important Well-Known Member

MISSION Boat Gear REEF Mat Inflatable Floating Dock Water Lounge (6.5' x 13') https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XYKTPPX/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_H0OiDb90M0FM9

This thing is badass, my kids played on one at the sandbar this weekend, we have a lily pad or whatever brand we have and hate rolling it up. This one airs down, folds up and can fit in a ski locker.

32. Tooned Up

Tooned Up Well-Known Member

We bought the one from Sams Club ( Aqua Lilly I think) it works for us. I tie it to the ski pole on the toon and it sets partially on the swim step when doing so. I don’t have to worry about the prop by doing this and it makes for a perfect floating bar top for me. It’s just wide enough to fit on the swim step and I run a ratchet strap tie down through it to the cleats for transport.

33. Ballsdeep

Ballsdeep Well-Known Member

34. Rondog4405

Saw a bunch of these out on the parker float. They look badass.. My ifloat might be gone soon for one of these mats.

Not Important likes this.
  35. Rondog4405

36. brgrcru

brgrcru Well-Known Member

Teach him to ski , you will never need one .