WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

LINEMAN: How’s the work?

Spectra18

Reaction score
Should I hit up California Nevada Joint Apprenticeship Training or IBEW?

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
Should I hit up California Nevada Joint Apprenticeship Training or IBEW?

I'd start with the IBEW. I don't know what the linemen unions are out there though. Hopefully one of these guys will know.

KingofBeers

Reaction score
I'd start with the IBEW. I don't know what the linemen unions are out there though. Hopefully one of these guys will know.
I also would go IBEW. Outside local here is 1245 in Vacaville. If you are serious about IBEW, choose your location carefully. When I first got in I figured I would be able to work wherever I wanted. Well, thats only half true.

The local you do your apprenticeship at will be your 'home' local. Home local guys will be hired before any travelers. There is much more work in major metropolitan areas such as the SF Bay Area. There is a reason that union electricians flock to these areas. They simply dont have any work in their home local. Choosing where you will be a book 1 hand is fairly important.

hallett21

Reaction score

I was in IBEW 952, now running a electrical contracting company. Hoping to be able to turn it to a union shop (big project business) some day.

IMO if your doing the work you’re crazy not to go into the IBEW. The pay is good to great. The education is truly one of the best. The pension is a great plus as well. Also you have a great medical package that is paid by your employer.

That all being said the Union has its quirks. A lot of which I was never a fan of. Mainly the sentiment of labor vs contractor. Of course that’s just my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hallett21

Reaction score
I also would go IBEW. Outside local here is 1245 in Vacaville. If you are serious about IBEW, choose your location carefully. When I first got in I figured I would be able to work wherever I wanted. Well, thats only half true.

The local you do your apprenticeship at will be your 'home' local. Home local guys will be hired before any travelers. There is much more work in major metropolitan areas such as the SF Bay Area. There is a reason that union electricians flock to these areas. They simply dont have any work in their home local. Choosing where you will be a book 1 hand is fairly important.

Very good point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk