WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Lineman jobs…

Rogers Hopeful

Reaction score
Is anybody here a lineman? I was curious as to how to get in. I applied for the DWP trainee spot which I figured included on the job training. My application was rejected because I didn’t have training.

4Waters

Reaction score
Is anybody here a lineman? I was curious as to how to get in. I applied for the DWP trainee spot which I figured included on the job training. My application was rejected because I didn’t have training.
There's a few guys here that work for DWP hopefully they chime in.

Here's what I know, get in with the city in any capacity and when DWP opens for transfers put in your transfer, if you have a background in electrical watch for Electrician or Electrical Craft Helper (ECH) you will need a certificate for ECH.

bilz

Newly Retired!😁
Reaction score
Try looking into the Electrical Craft Helper position within la city(includes dwp). DWP hires ECH positions from other depts. like dot, street lighting and general services.
Beat me to it.

rightytighty

Reaction score
There’s schooling for lineman.

My nephew completed his in Boise because that school includes a CDL.

Then you put your name on a list at the union and get appx 2k hours grunt work before the good jobs start along.

(At least thats how his went)

Good luck- its a great career.

TimeBandit

Reaction score
A friend of a friend's son did this program, then waited and finally got hired at DWP, now he does it from helicoptors and makes stupid crazy money.

It's good to be young and fearless.

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
There’s schooling for lineman.

My nephew completed his in Boise because that school includes a CDL.

Then you put your name on a list at the union and get appx 2k hours grunt work before the good jobs start along.

(At least thats how his went)

Good luck- its a great career.

Most apprentices serve about a year before they start to do "real line work". Keeping in mind and apprenticeship is about 8000 hours OJT.

Rogers Hopeful

Reaction score
If I was younger I would jump all over the schools. Being that am the sole provider for my family I was really hoping the trainee position would be open to me. Especially since it pays what I’m currently making.

badluck

Reaction score
My niece is putting herself through a program in Orville Ca. I think it’s 22k then she’ll apply at PG&E

Icky

Reaction score
My niece is putting herself through a program in Orville Ca. I think it’s 22k then she’ll apply at PG&E
This is what my neighbors kid just finished up, think he was gone all summer at school.

TrollerDave

Reaction score
If I was younger I would jump all over the schools. Being that am the sole provider for my family I was really hoping the trainee position would be open to me. Especially since it pays what I’m currently making.

Without experience in a particular field, this M & C helper is a good place to start, especially with DWP. It could lead to a variety of fields. It would be hard work, but you learn and move up. Mechanical Helper will get you into the A/C, plumbing, welding fields.
I know the pay is not what you need, but as far as LA city goes, these are where you could start without specific experience.

What is your work background?

TrollerDave

Reaction score

This is the info about the Electrical Craft Helper test with LA city/DWP. It lists the requirements just to take the test.

bilz

Newly Retired!😁
Reaction score

Without experience in a particular field, this M & C helper is a good place to start, especially with DWP. It could lead to a variety of fields. It would be hard work, but you learn and move up. Mechanical Helper will get you into the A/C, plumbing, welding fields.
I know the pay is not what you need, but as far as LA city goes, these are where you could start without specific experience.

My dad retired from the harbor dept as an m&c acting supv. He spent many days on boats inspecting and moving camels and looking for debris. He loved being on those boats

Rogers Hopeful

Reaction score

I am currently a locomotive engineer. Not really applicable into another job except maybe heavy equipment operation… kind of.
I was previously an unloader/sorter and part time supervisor at UPS.

4Waters

Reaction score
I am currently a locomotive engineer. Not really applicable into another job except maybe heavy equipment operation… kind of.
I was previously an unloader/sorter and part time supervisor at UPS.
Watch for Equipment Operator
Performance test if you pass the written.

Backhoe: Trenching and exposing a pipe and backfill

D8 dozer: 26' cut at a predetermined depth (around 12") and backfill

Motorgrader: Same idea as dozer but different technique and proper use of the blade for cut and backfill and side cast

Cat 938 loader: load 3 scoops of material into dump truck

Reactions: TPC

WTR&PWR

Reaction score
I can answer any questions you have. You won’t get into the lineman apprenticeship here without a climbing cart. However, if you get hired to any other position you can go Wednesday nights as an employee at the training center and you can get a cert from the instructors here once your climbing is proficient..
I would apply for the electrical mechanic and electric station operator program along with every other position you can qualify for. It’s a great career.

4Waters

Reaction score
I can answer any questions you have. You won’t get into the lineman apprenticeship here without a climbing cart. However, if you get hired to any other position you can go Wednesday nights as an employee at the training center and you can get a cert from the instructors here once your climbing is proficient..
I would apply for the electrical mechanic and electric station operator program along with every other position you can qualify for. It’s a great career.
Well there you have it

Pebo

Cocktail Krew
Reaction score
My Son went to this school. Got hired at graduation.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Good info in the posts above.
Ya pick shit with the chickens first.

I worked recruitment one winter. A big push was on to interest women in the blue collar jobs but the WW2 generation was retiring and we needed to fill the ranks.

Take a basic Elect class and get in as a Elect Craft Helper was the way when I was involved, they may be asking for a bit more. Check the LA Trade Tech site.

LA Trade Tech was the most popular place. You can get more requirement info at the LA City/DWP employment office/online last I looked.

If you have any issues whatsoever with heights it's not for you. We've had applicants that worked telephone poles for the phone company for years freeze up on the transmission tower test & have to be helped down.

Washed out first day of training. A lot of people get washed out first day. Like I said, if you have any issues with heights you're wasting your time.

It’s not romantic adventure. You meet few linemen over the age of 35.

Jimmy Carter brought in astronomical inflation so we brought in the Union and pay and working conditions got good. Edison’s employees lost that battle and ended up worse than when they started.

Last edited:

GreenEnergy28

Reaction score
Son in law did the school in Idaho. It was tough because he had no income for a while and had to move all of his stuff into storage. Once he finished, he applied with SoCal Edison as a groundman. Took a bid in Ventura where he and my daughter (before marriage) got an apartment. Was able to transfer out the Menifee where after a couple of years was able to get a bid for his apprenticeship as a lineman. A few of his friends from the school went right in as contractors working out of state. He chose the long game with Edison though. Solid career but they just lost a fellow lineman a couple of days ago. Definitely a risky career.

AZLineman

Adjusting to retired life
Reaction score
There is some excellent information in here as I read through from some of the dudes in the trade. Some are specific to whether it’s a municipality, a publicly traded utility, a large contractor or working through a local. What water and power said is a great avenue I’m guessing for LADWP. As a municipality they have a little different/more specific path of progression than others. The last 12 yrs of my career as manager of T&D ops i oversaw all training and hiring in line, trouble and equip operators and wrote the programs in addition to running all T&D const and maint crews, Troubleman and equip operators along with holding a mutual assist board seat with all the western regional companies/utilities. For me it was quite a ride because I was the only one at that level in my organization that came out of their tools and did not have a college education which was unheard of. As a Lineman you can pretty much do anything. Lol. Enuf of my BS. Line college's are great but expensive AF and no guarantee of hire. I visited a few in the Western US and hired some peeps from a couple but many failed my testing because line college's would teach you climbing and linework principles not how to be a grunt which is paramount first and foremost. Physical skills testing eliminated hundreds too. Work on core, shoulder and grip strength. Trust me I’ve seen some of the most puffed dudes out of the gym fail miserably at a preapprentice test. Some of the best things to do proactively is get a CDL and start learning electrical theory/math. One of the other things to do is get a copy of the Lineman cablemans handbook and start reading. While everything is different depending on where you go and voltages and construction standards there are major similarities. APS, SRP and TEP/Unisource are great companies with excellent training programs and all hire frequently. LU769 in AZ in a great avenue as well- http://www.ibew769.com/?zone=/unionactive/view_article.cfm&HomeID=838039&page=Apprenticeship
SDG&E, LADWP and PGE are great places. SMUD turns out great Lineman too. Excellent program there. Its a great rewarding profession and if you can stay focused free of distraction, work safely and care about others than its for you. If you cant, do something else. There you have it from an old lineman with 35 yrs exp

shaffewm

Reaction score
Good Morning all, here at SCE, the climbing school is no longer mandatory to get hired as a groundman. It helps but you will definitely need a class A license and real world construction experience. We get a lot of guys that have been on digging crews from 1245 and here at local 47. There is a huge hiring push for groundmen right now. I do a lot of the pre-screening so if you have any specific questions shoot me a DM.

Rogers Hopeful

Reaction score
Thank you all for the great information!! Glad to see it’s a great career that is liked.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
For DWP -

Step 1 is taking the DWP's Hayden electricity course. Not sure where you are located, but they offer it at their Glenoaks yard off the 210 and Glenoaks.
Once you pass this class on basic electrical theory, you get a certificate and are qualified to test for open positions as an Electrical Craft helper

Step 2 - Wait for ECH (Electrical craft helper) to open up, and register to test. The higher you score, the better your placement for hiring chances.

Once you get in as an ECH, you work and help EDM's (electrical distribution mechanics) and basically train on the job as a helper. After enough time and tenure, you qualify to apply for apprenticeship for EDM. From there, I believe you choose if you want to go overhead or underground, and the apprenticeship veers off from there. I think they separate pole climbers from vault workers.

I went thru the Hayden electrical course, qualified to test, and then passed it up. Biggest mistake ever!

renodaytona

Reaction score
Good friend of mine went through lineman school. Got a job right out of school that he was happy with and paid very well. Got an offer to get into a company that is all union but had to move to Montana. He is hating it up there this winter but knows to stay put. He has been trying to get on at NV energy up here to get back home to no avail.

bilz

Newly Retired!😁
Reaction score
Is the hayden still a series of books?

Reaction score
Calnev jatc opened up applications for the apprenticeship a few weeks ago it usually closes pretty fast, that’s the apprenticeship I’m in I only have a few more months till I top out also heard Burbank opened up spots as well. If you aren’t afraid to travel there’s plenty of places across the country just gonna have to sacrifice a few years living out of state once you top out you can go wherever you want.