WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Lithium batteries

beerrun

Reaction score
Anyone have lithium batteries in there RV pros cons? Besides being expensive 943.00 extra are they worth the money? I thought lithium batteries exploded when charging?

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Every EV uses them, but sure about exploding...?

Now if your RV is being powered by Samsung Galaxy Note 7’s, that’s a whole different story LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
They dislike high heat and extreme cold but if you’re running solar and can maintain some semblance of room temp they’re pretty incredible.

You can run them dead, I think, and not hurt them.

I don’t have them in my RV... yet. Stay tuned because that’s definitely my next project.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
They actually don’t like deep discharges, and aren’t happy at full charge either.

Most reports suggest a happy range of between 20% and 80% charge for max longevity [emoji106]

LowRiver2

Reaction score
I have two lithiums on my TH with a 160 solar panel

Way less maintenance and 0 issues so far

I’m adding direct TV,2nd TV and possibly an invertor.
Was told I should add another panel.
From what I’ve read on RV forums, if you camp 2-3 days boondocking, 2 6 volts and a solar panel do well

Mine came with it, orig. owner had a brother who worked for eclipse and got a deal on getting 2 batts.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
@wash11 I believe set them up for his solar setup on the ranch. That was the first I had seen for big setups...had only seen the massive Tesla floorpan battery before that.

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
They actually don’t like deep discharges, and aren’t happy at full charge either.

Most reports suggest a happy range of between 20% and 80% charge for max longevity [emoji106]

Compare that to the standard AGM’s and Lead Acid and those Lithium numbers are impressive. Neither of the others much like anything, over time, like continual discharges under 60%-70%. They’ll do it but not consistently over a long period of time.

cakemoto

Reaction score
Anyone have lithium batteries in there RV pros cons? Besides being expensive 943.00 extra are they worth the money? I thought lithium batteries exploded when charging?
There are many different types of lithium batteries ion,polymer etc.Yes some are more volatile than others.Pretty sure these are ion as what we use in our phones

Christopher Lucero

Reaction score
Lithium ion has a weight advantage. much lighter than Lead Acid AGM per rated A-hr , so for 'mobile' applications where miles and weight correlate, you have to trade off the miles saved vs the safety issue you mentioned. FWIW, one company I worked for had me do a CR123 battery qualification for a medical device they made and the technology and chemistry are very reliable...very difficult to even intentionally precipitate the worst case safety problem. We tested thousands of them in our evaluation. As others have said, though, be careful about running them to dead. That is known to plate the cathode.

Reactions: DWC

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
I have 5 Battle Borns with 2400 watts of solar. Happy with the setup and no issues after 6 months other than the transfer switch went out on me.

i also have an onboard generator if needed.

weight was a big advantage as well.

i have run it down to zero and they all came right back.

i think its a 10 year warranty and is capable of a total of 10,000 full cycles

when i can swing it I will add 5 more BBs to my setup.

same guy that did Wash11s ranch did this setup for me in the RV

dont really worry about fire. They are mounted in where the generator is in the front bin. This is directly under my bed.

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
I run my RV purely off of lithium batteries in an off grid setup. It’s set up like wash11 in that all the solar panels are ground mounted and the inverter/batteries outside the RV and you just plug the whole RV into it.

Ol Man

Reaction score
The phone batteries are Lithium Ion and the batteries used for RV, etc and Lithium Iron.

beerrun

Reaction score
So we just ordered a new attitude toyhauler and it comes with one and it was 943.00 to add a second it also comes with two solar panels so I would think they would never get run all the way down

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
So we just ordered a new attitude toyhauler and it comes with one and it was 943.00 to add a second it also comes with two solar panels so I would think they would never get run all the way down

who is the mfr of the batteries and how many AH per? Two solar panels sound like probably 600w total at max???

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
I run my RV purely off of lithium batteries in an off grid setup. It’s set up like wash11 in that all the solar panels are ground mounted and the inverter/batteries outside the RV and you just plug the whole RV into it.

you are an entirely level or two or three up on the app ;)

mesquito_creek

Reaction score

Even with this consideration we are talking about 1000s of cycles to impact the capacity, so it’s not really even a consideration. With 365 days in a year you would need to cycle them from full charge to 5% for 5 years straight to notice the loss... You would still be sitting on a perfectly functioning system with 10-20% less capacity. I could think of bigger problems to have at that point.

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
Even with this consideration we are talking about 1000s of cycles to impact the capacity, so it’s not really even a consideration. With 365 days in a year you would need to cycle them from full charge to 5% for 5 years straight to notice the loss... You would still be sitting on a perfectly functioning system with 10-20% less capacity. I could think of bigger problems to have at that point.

i like how you stated that. I went to zero to test it all one day. Worked out well

Track Man

Reaction score
Not in a RV but in my house I just switch from lead acid to these Lithium Ion batteries. They are the Discover ones. They are a 48 V battery with 130 amp hours. Together that gives me 260 amp hours. I have a 4.5 KW solar system with back up generator. I keep them at 70° year-round. Very important. Talking to RD the other night he has lithium batteries in his motorhome. Got me thinking about the heat issue here in Havasu when it’s 120° out. They come with a 10 year warranty and 10,000 cycles. The biggest factor for me is they charge up so much faster than the lead acid batteries in the winter time. Also no maintenance. My lead acid batteries was like a side job. They’re not cheap but well worth it.
30BF39B0-A578-4156-8F62-A59744327141.jpeg

beerrun

Reaction score
who is the mfr of the batteries and how many AH per? Two solar panels sound like probably 600w total at max???
I'm really not sure it was an option when ordering

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
Unless your full time in your RV you don’t really need lithium unless you like to spend money, lol. If your a weekend warrior you will be fine with (2) 6 Volt AGM or Lead Acid Batteries. I use a little 2000 watt Yamaha Generator I run overnight when I know the furnace is going to be kicking on all night when it’s cold af. I also have 150 watt solar panel to keep the batteries at 100% when the RV is not in use. It makes a huge difference in battery life!

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
Unless your full time in your RV you don’t really need lithium unless you like to spend money, lol. If your a weekend warrior you will be fine with (2) 6 Volt AGM or Lead Acid Batteries. I use a little 2000 watt Yamaha Generator I run overnight when I know the furnace is going to be kicking on all night when it’s cold af. I also have 150 watt solar panel to keep the batteries at 100% when the RV is not in use. It makes a huge difference in battery life!

If you are playing the long game, lithium is clearly the winner hands down...

But for the weekend warrior and don’t mind the expense/maintenance on a generator you can get what you need out of lead.

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
Not in a RV but in my house I just switch from lead acid to these Lithium Ion batteries. They are the Discover ones. They are a 48 V battery with 130 amp hours. Together that gives me 260 amp hours. I have a 4.5 KW solar system with back up generator. I keep them at 70° year-round. Very important. Talking to RD the other night he has lithium batteries in his motorhome. Got me thinking about the heat issue here in Havasu when it’s 120° out. They come with a 10 year warranty and 10,000 cycles. The biggest factor for me is they charge up so much faster than the lead acid batteries in the winter time. Also no maintenance. My lead acid batteries was like a side job. They’re not cheap but well worth it.

You give me hope that my 412 ah 48v battery bank and 4kw array might be enough to get me through the summer... My discussions with the battery manufacturer contradicts the temperature factor you state. They told me optimal up to 95 degrees and fully operational up to 130.

If you are maintaining 70 to fully maximize the longevity out to the 20 year plus lifetime I applaud your design and diligence to getting every electron out of your ROI!

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
LiPo batteries for RC toys do explode. Believe they're a different make up from RV lithium batteries. I had a small LiPo go off right behind me once when it was charging outside of our RV. Sounded like a 22 Cal rifle. No fire. Charging bags are available for less than $10. The tragic fire on the dive boat Conception was likely caused by improper charging of LiPo batteries.

Christopher Lucero

Reaction score
4.5 KW solar system with back up generator
I have a 4.2 kW with back up batteries, so I guess your have battery AND generator backup...saweet.

>>>>AS WELL AS Nagel artwork on the equipment. very cool.<<<<
Capture.JPG

We pay about $100 total to SCE each year, all of it in taxes / surcharges to connect to the SCE network. Since 2003.

Doesn't back up 220 (A/C and oven). Been thinking about adding a second phase but the startup surge to provide enough outrush amperage to our 30yr old A/C might be hard to justify. we only use it a few times a year.

Last edited:

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
I have a 4.2 kW with back up batteries, so I guess your have battery AND generator backup...saweet.

>>>>AS WELL AS Nagel artwork on the equipment. very cool.<<<<
View attachment 988811

We pay about $100 total to SCE each year, all of it in taxes / surcharges to connect to the SCE network. Since 2003.

Doesn't back up 220 (A/C and oven). Been thinking about adding a second phase but the startup surge to provide enough outrush amperage to our 30yr old A/C might be hard to justify. we only use it a few times a year.

Adding the split phase to power a 30 year old AC is a bit of lipstick on a pig... I would replace the AC with a high seer new AC for instant savings! But otherwise I am not sure if you could install a soft start on the old AC but it’s worth researching.

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score

thats why when you put them in rv's you have to put a regulator to lower the alt. charge...I think charge rate is 40/50 amps??? while some rv's have 240 amp alts...

v6toy4x

Reaction score
Lithium
Weight--win
Life span--win
Depth of Discharge--win
Rate of discharge 2C--win
Rate of charge 1C--win

Last edited:

Christopher Lucero

Reaction score
Adding the split phase to power a 30 year old AC is a bit of lipstick on a pig... I would replace the AC with a high seer new AC for instant savings! But otherwise I am not sure if you could install a soft start on the old AC but it’s worth researching.
Yes. It was in early 2020 that we had a bunch of contractors out to renovate the water and electricity infrastructure...then....