WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

"little" gun dogs

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
So the time has come for a new puppy, but I'm a bit conflicted on what to get.

I've always had labs, but the last one ruined me, I just can't bring myself to get another one after Alley, at least not yet.

But I don't want a fucking yap-trap like my wife wants to get.

So I've been looking for a little gun dog, one I can train for grouse or other uplands bird hunting. Not really looking for a pointer, I want to stay with a retriever "type" dog.

I've been looking at the spaniel breeds. Anyone have any experience with English Field Cocker Spaniels or Boykin Spaniels? All the internet stuff says they are great little dogs and "easy" to train. I've known one two many Brittany spaniels to go in that direction.

HBCraig

Reaction score
A buddy had a spaniel. It was a good dog

You ever thought about adopting? Is there such a thing for your particular breed? Just curious. A I have done it and its very rewarding.

calkid

Reaction score

I've always had labs, but the last one ruined me, I just can't bring myself to get another one after Alley, at least not yet.

So I've been looking for a little gun dog, one I can train for grouse or other uplands bird hunting. Not really looking for a pointer, I want to stay with a retriever "type" dog.

I've been looking at the spaniel breeds. Anyone have any experience with English Field Cocker Spaniels or Boykin Spaniels? All the internet stuff says they are great little dogs and "easy" to train. I've known one two many Brittany spaniels to go in that direction.
Somewhere along the way spaniel's mixed with gophers, they sure like to dig!

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
My parents had an english field when I was young. Good dog, and we weren't the best trainer types...so I'll give the dog all the credit. Would fetch the paper, tennis balls and shoes...on command, not just for chewing ;) Pops didn't do any hunting by that time, so just a yard and house pup.

Inland Air Balance

Certified in something
Reaction score
American cocker spaniel here. Found him at the dog pound. Mellow as all hell. He will bring anything he catches into the house for you... birds, rats or lizzards. Awesome dog pulls double duty as my daughters service dog 🐕‍🦺

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
A buddy had a spaniel. It was a good dog

You ever thought about adopting? Is there such a thing for your particular breed? Just curious. A I have done it and its very rewarding.

We've talked about it, but all the dogs around here that I would want have things like heart worm or some other chronic parasite issues. That and most of them are terriers of some sort, those just aren't my type of dogs.

I'm keeping my eye out though, maybe the right pup will show up.

BingerFang

Reaction score
I have a small GSP But do not recommend the breed unless you are really active and have a huge yard.

My buddy has a Brittany spaniel which is an awesome gun dog and little less mild version of a GSP.

jetboatperformance

Reaction score

I bet deep inside you'd love another Lab , after my last one passed I swore I'd never get another .... till this guy came along
seb 2 19.jpg