WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Little help with shift cable

Croz

Reaction score
I've got a 19' eliminator with a 150 mercury XR2 to power. When I put it into forward it seems to have some slack and will grind the gears and usually won't engage unless I reposition it and give it has right as I shift into forward, reverse works fine. Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks

Ragged Edge

Man in the Box
Reaction score
Is this a new cable or been in the boat awhile? Diagnosing cabling issues is difficult without actually seeing what is going on. I can tell you the cable should not have any slack in it. If new it needs to be adjusted. If this is an old cable it will probably need to be replaced as it sounds like it has somehow been stretched. You can try adjusting it at the motor but I would bet that if you get forward working correctly then reverse will not.

Another thing to check is how easy your shift mechanism on the motor works. Disconnect the shift cable, with the motor running (on trailer or firmly tied at the dock) hand shift the motor into forward then reverse. If it is really hard to shift by hand then you have an issue in your gear case. Probably the shift dog/clutch dog.

Croz

Reaction score
Is this a new cable or been in the boat awhile? Diagnosing cabling issues is difficult without actually seeing what is going on. I can tell you the cable should not have any slack in it. If new it needs to be adjusted. If this is an old cable it will probably need to be replaced as it sounds like it has somehow been stretched. You can try adjusting it at the motor but I would bet that if you get forward working correctly then reverse will not.

Another thing to check is how easy your shift mechanism on the motor works. Disconnect the shift cable, with the motor running (on trailer or firmly tied at the dock) hand shift the motor into forward then reverse. If it is really hard to shift by hand then you have an issue in your gear case. Probably the shift dog/clutch dog.

Thanks I will try that.

Lunatic Fringe

Reaction score
The last 2 times out with my Placecraft I had the same issue.
Measured almost a half inch slack in the cable.
Replaced the cable and it's perfect now.