WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Loaned out my truck

PlumLoco

Vintage Jawa CZ motorcycles
Reaction score
. . . to my son, to move his girlfriend from Loma Linda to Redlands. He comes up the drive and the truck smells like burnt brakes. Says he just started noticing it, real recent.
I asked him if he had used the e-brake at any time and he says "no."
So I depress foot lever thinking he forgot to take it off, but nothing the lever appears to be in the correct position. I depressed it halfway and it "felt right". Seemed to operate correctly.
To return it, you need to depress it again. Well now it is on the floor and won't return to driving position.

Will it work when things cool?
Will the brakes weld to the hub?
2007 Ram (pretty sure drum brakes in rear)
Helpful ideas always appreciated.

spectra3279

Vaginamoney broke
Reaction score
. . . to my son, to move his girlfriend from Loma Linda to Redlands. He comes up the drive and the truck smells like burnt brakes. Says he just started noticing it, real recent.
I asked him if he had used the e-brake at any time and he says "no."
So I depress foot lever thinking he forgot to take it off, but nothing the lever appears to be in the correct position. I depressed it halfway and it "felt right". Seemed to operate correctly.
To return it, you need to depress it again. Well now it is on the floor and won't return to driving position.

Will it work when things cool?
Will the brakes weld to the hub?
2007 Ram (pretty sure drum brakes in rear)
Helpful ideas always appreciated.
Should be disk in rear. 2001 1/2 switched to disk as standard

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

colenighthawk

Reaction score
Probably speeding and applying breaks frequently, like when you come down Cajon pass with too much breaking

PlumLoco

Reaction score
Maybe disc, seems like I bought shoes not disc pads last time, but either way he wasn't too hard on the brakes. He literally moved her about 5 miles on flat surface streets. My big concern is where he parked it, with the e-brake on I can't move it very easily to get it to a better place to work on it. How do I get the e-brake to release? That is the first thing to deal with before I can dig a bit deeper.

Shrub Lurker

Reaction score
I won’t let my kids borrow our lawn tractor for this reason. and they know not to ask

DLC

Reaction score
1/2 of the group will tell you to sell it and get a Ford

the other half will say sell it and get a Chubby!

let it sit and check it in the morning.

could be a bunch of different things

sintax

Reaction score
1/2 of the group will tell you to sell it and get a Ford

the other half will say sell it and get a Chubby!

let it sit and check it in the morning.

could be a bunch of different things

I think this guys right on his assessment, you should just sell it and buy the Chevy!

Reactions: DLC

yz450mm

Reaction score
Lay on the driver side floorboard and try to release the ratchet mechanism with a pair of pliers or screwdriver.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score
I think this guys right on his assessment, you should just sell it and buy the Chevy!

The jury is still out. Trailer Park Casanova will give his verdict in short order. ;)

"Getting home then rid of the truck is now priority one."
@TPC

DavAlf04

Reaction score
My 07 dodge has a lever to release parking brake.

Last edited:

PlumLoco

Reaction score
So this morning I crawl under the dash and give it the once over. Pushed and pulled on shit, but nothing is moving. My buddy walks up and I tell him the story and he takes a look. I dont know what he did but with no tools he got it released in about 10 seconds.
I just got done driving it around for 15 minutes and can't reproduce any problems at all. Tuesday he wants to drive it to Hemet. Wonder how that will go?

Jimmyv

Reaction score
My 06 Dodge 2500 has a hand lever release. Foot to actuate, hand lever to release.

Happy Smitty

Reaction score
I put it in park and stays put. No need to use the parking brake. Just stretches out the cable over time. Use it when it's actually needed.

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
I had a Cadillac Escalade once that the e-brake would "stick" when you released it. You had to put it in reverse and move about 6 inches to release it on the wheel side after the pedal came back up initially. I learned that the hard way. I drove off one time after releasing the e-brake and about welded the e-brake shoes to the rotor, at which point they got ripped out of the e-brake. I try not to use an e-brake now. I choose to aim the front wheels at the nearest wall, if the trans park gives out.

Maestro

Reaction score
Hate to say it but since you couldn't duplicate the situation, he is driving and braking hard.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Maybe he’s a left foot braker?
Depending on experience, sometimes they ride the brakes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro