WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Long Beach Sprint Nationals

timstoy

Reaction score
Just read in Long Beach Post that LB City Manager Tom Modica has denied a permit for the Long Beach Sprint Nationals Aug 6 2022. Ross will have a uphill battle to pull off a permit for the event at this time. Please contact LB city hall to voice your opposition on this decision. If you are a Long Beach resident get ahold of your city council member and voice your opposition on this decision. If we loose this race it will probably be the end of racing in Marine Stadium. Make some noise and let your voice be heard!

pixrthis

Reaction score
One of the best racing venues I’ve ever been to, it would suck to lose it.

guest hs

Reaction score
The writing was on the wall after Greg and Jay died racing there. There won’t be any racing there for many’s I’m sure. I remember in the early eighties the venue was shut down for noise for a long time as well

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
Well, that sucks. I was looking forward to some cracker box racing.

EarpRider

Reaction score
The writing was on the wall after Greg and Jay died racing there. There won’t be any racing there for many’s I’m sure. I remember in the early eighties the venue was shut down for noise for a long time as well
On top of the fact that lots of rich folks that live around Marine Stadium, who hate the noise, have control over their Council women so she's been trying to stop the race for years. And now she's running for Mayor, good chance she gets elected, so good bye racing in Marine Stadium.

cakemoto

Reaction score
On top of the fact that lots of rich folks that live around Marine Stadium, who hate the noise, have control over their Council women so she's been trying to stop the race for years. And now she's running for Mayor, good chance she gets elected, so good bye racing in Marine Stadium.
You sign a waiver when buying there

timstoy

Reaction score
LB fireman Craig Vestermark was the driving force in getting the noise ordinance dropped in the 80’s. He got two boats from all the inboard classes and the racers came up with muffler systems to reduce noise. Larry Dahlhoff, Jerry Hanger and myself tried two different exhaust systems on K17 and K18. We ran all the boat classes individually against the sound meter and the city signed off and the racing resumed till COVID 19 and now this latest permit issue. There were some wild muffler combinations and with the K boats it was a tuners nightmare, low end power was crazy and top end power was restricted by the muffler systems. I agree with EarpRider that his statements are correct and I believe he is a retired LB city employee as am l so we know how the system works. I am going to reach out to a few contacts that still work for the city and my city councilman. We can beat this but it will be a long shot. Ross said he’s been trying to meet with city officials for months to no avail witch is no surprise to me. We have to try, maybe Ross can get some information out in the media to get his side of the story out. We have nothing to loose and everything to gain.
EarpRider are you Dennis P.? This is Tim G. WPD. Mechanic.

timstoy

Reaction score
The LB Press Telegram has a article on the Spring Boat Nationals just posted but need a subscription to view the article.l canceled my subscription last week when they doubled the price l have paid for years.

SoCalDave

Reaction score
Man what a bummer. I used to attend that event every year when I lived in Seal Beach in the 70's and after. Best times with Campbell Carl when he would host with his motor home on the northeast side.

timstoy

Reaction score
Man what a bummer. I used to attend that event every year when I lived in Seal Beach in the 70's and after. Best times with Campbell Carl when he would host with his motor home on the northeast side.
Campbell Carl was a great guy, he lived a full life just too young. RIP Carl.

EarpRider

Reaction score
LB fireman Craig Vestermark was the driving force in getting the noise ordinance dropped in the 80’s. He got two boats from all the inboard classes and the racers came up with muffler systems to reduce noise. Larry Dahlhoff, Jerry Hanger and myself tried two different exhaust systems on K17 and K18. We ran all the boat classes individually against the sound meter and the city signed off and the racing resumed till COVID 19 and now this latest permit issue. There were some wild muffler combinations and with the K boats it was a tuners nightmare, low end power was crazy and top end power was restricted by the muffler systems. I agree with EarpRider that his statements are correct and I believe he is a retired LB city employee as am l so we know how the system works. I am going to reach out to a few contacts that still work for the city and my city councilman. We can beat this but it will be a long shot. Ross said he’s been trying to meet with city officials for months to no avail witch is no surprise to me. We have to try, maybe Ross can get some information out in the media to get his side of the story out. We have nothing to loose and everything to gain.
EarpRider are you Dennis P.? This is Tim G. WPD. Mechanic.
Hey Tim, yeah it's me Dennis!
And LBPOA just sent out a email to all current and retired members that they are endorsing Suzie Price, so really good chance she's gonna be the next Mayor, she hates the races, not good.

timstoy

Reaction score
Hey Tim, yeah it's me Dennis!
And LBPOA just sent out a email to all current and retired members that they are endorsing Suzie Price, so really good chance she's gonna be the next Mayor, she hates the races, not good.
Hey Dennis I had a feeling you were EarpRider! I went by your place and then found out you moved. I think your probably right about Price and that is not good for racing in LB. Hope you and Carrie are doing well and living the dream in Havasu!

EarpRider

Reaction score
Hey Dennis I had a feeling you were EarpRider! I went by your place and then found out you moved. I think your probably right about Price and that is not good for racing in LB. Hope you and Carrie are doing well and living the dream in Havasu!
Yes, we got out of Long Beach 2 years ago. We're living in Havasu full time now, but we still have the vacation house in Parker.
We're doing great, let us know next time your in Havasu or Parker.

timstoy

Reaction score
Good to hear your doing well. I retired in November 2020. Were doing well also spoiling our grandson! My son sold his GN boat but he still tunes Heath and Kaylee’s GN boats and I still help getting in the way! With the LB being our hometown race we have ton of friends and family come to the race. We will see what happens with the race. If we get your way we will try and get ahold of you I’d like to catch up with you. If you guys come down to LB stop on by.

Little Mr.C

Reaction score
I read that Ross Wallach and attorneys have filed their appeal, just waiting on their day with the city, and they are also putting together a petition to collect signatures. If I see the link or anything for the petition I’ll post it up on here. Hopefully we can keep the races going, the Marine Stadium is awesome.

fordgasm

Reaction score
Hey everyone, thanks for signing this petition and in putting out the word here. I'm the attorney representing the SCSC and Ross Wallach in appealing this injustice and now is the time to have our voices heard with our signatures!

Because the appeal is currently pending I ask everyone to keep in mind that anything said by anyone can be used against us. I am not a boater but have been a drag racer my entire life and am well aware of the prejudices and hurdles that get thrown in our face when it comes to important motorsports events in major cities like this. I want to see the right thing get done by Long Beach for a deserving public and the honorable hard working participants at this historic venue.

Rock on.......!

twocents

RDP Staff Member
Staff member
Reaction score
In case any of you would like to know the real history of Long Beach Marine Stadium and how boat racing was lost in the 1970s, I wrote a two part article for RDP back in October 2020 entitled "What Happened to Long Beach Marine Stadium" which details how boat racing got the short end of the stick. I invested a good three years of time and energy trying turn around the inevitable. I think these two articles put this situation into its proper historical perspective. Worth a read if you're really interested.

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score
Hey everyone, thanks for signing this petition and in putting out the word here. I'm the attorney representing the SCSC and Ross Wallach in appealing this injustice and now is the time to have our voices heard with our signatures!

Because the appeal is currently pending I ask everyone to keep in mind that anything said by anyone can be used against us. I am not a boater but have been a drag racer my entire life and am well aware of the prejudices and hurdles that get thrown in our face when it comes to important motorsports events in major cities like this. I want to see the right thing get done by Long Beach for a deserving public and the honorable hard working participants at this historic venue.

Rock on.......!
Good job Ernie! 👍👍

wzuber

Reaction score
Thanks for posting the link. Signed and donated.
I have been going to the races here as a spectator since the late 60's. This will be my first time here as a participant if this race is allowed. A real dream come true.......

wzuber

Reaction score

Rock on.......!
Thank you for your help with this power grab by the city admin.