WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Long distance home movers / recommendations

Nordie

Reaction score
Where are you going after Vegas? We just moved to BC. Not sure if we are staying longterm yet.

I want to go back to SWFL, and the wife is pressing pretty hard for North Carolina (she wants 4 seasons, but that crazy chick would move back to Chicago if I agreed with it). I can go to work tomorrow if I go back to SWFL.

bowtiejunkie

Reaction score
We used U-Pack for CA to TX in 2020. I believe they had an option to hire local helpers to load and/or unload. We did the everything ourselves. One 28ft trailer was $3300, plus nearly a $1000 in boxes, blankets and other moving supplies.

I’d also pile on the recommendation to sell / junk as much worthless or half-worn out items as possible in advance. We did, but still not enough cleansing as we paid to move stuff we junked/replaced shortly upon arrival in TX. 🤪

U-pack was great though. Zero complaints. We even had our own lock on the tractor trailer door.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
We're doing this same thing in June/July. San Diego to Tennessee. Just bought an enclosed car hauler for the wife's car and the few things we'll be taking; we're planning on getting rid of everything before we go. The boat, Polaris, skis etc are out in AZ at the river, so still trying to figure out how that's going to play out.
Where in Alabama?
Northern Alabama, Cullman, on Lewis Smith Lake

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
Following as I'll be right behind yah to TX in June/July.... hopefully. We'll be selling damn near everything that doesn't have sentimental value and starting over. We're probably going to need a pod and ship the wife's car. I'm sure it'll be expensive.

I'm half thinking about selling my GX, getting a truck, and tossing the Tesla on a hauler with room for mattresses and misc stuff. . Shoot, if things weren't so crazy with supply, it might make sense to just sell the Tesla and get a newer model over there. TBD.

cheezpanel

Reaction score
Following as I'll be right behind yah to TX in June/July.... hopefully. We'll be selling damn near everything that doesn't have sentimental value and starting over. We're probably going to need a pod and ship the wife's car. I'm sure it'll be expensive.

I'm half thinking about selling my GX, getting a truck, and tossing the Tesla on a hauler with room for mattresses and misc stuff. . Shoot, if things weren't so crazy with supply, it might make sense to just sell the Tesla and get a newer model over there. TBD.
Yep. Starting over. Putting the car in the trailer with, as crazy as it sounds, all the Christmas stuff, some pics etc, and off we go. I'll take put the boat somewhere here and come back and get it. Same with the skis. Selling the Polaris and buying another when we get there.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
That's a big/long move I don't envy you....

We sold everything big except beds and i have so far made 4 trips with a truck and 20' trailer from so cal to St.george utah and i still have a ton more stuff once the house is completed. Just the kitchen/garage and bedding/towell crap will probably take an entire big uhaul truck. I imagine i will fill a car hauler with all the outside patio furniture but patio furniture is stupid expensive new.

I have been shopping a used 22-24'box trailer for a year but i refuse to pay 10k for a 2006 carson...lol

C-Ya

Int’l Maritime Captain
Reaction score
When I moved from Southern California to Phoenix back in 1993, my wife and I rented the largest U-Haul they had along with a car hauler trailer. I drove the truck with her car on the trailer, while she followed driving my truck and towing our boat. We even had to pack stuff in the boat. Uhaul was filled along with every crevice in car, boat, and truck. My wife had just enough room for our daughter who was still in diapers and car seat. At least she had a/c…… I did not.

After moving from SoCal to Phoenix, I remember being absolutely blown away by how inexpensive the homes were comparatively. The first model home I went into was 3400sf and it was $160,000 in 1993. Were I moved from in SoCal that home would have cost 5 times that. I kept referring to it as the Free House. Oh the good old days. Lol

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
That's a big/long move I don't envy you....

We sold everything big except beds and i have so far made 4 trips with a truck and 20' trailer from so cal to St.george utah and i still have a ton more stuff once the house is completed. Just the kitchen/garage and bedding/towell crap will probably take an entire big uhaul truck. I imagine i will fill a car hauler with all the outside patio furniture but patio furniture is stupid expensive new.

I have been shopping a used 22-24'box trailer for a year but i refuse to pay 10k for a 2006 carson...lol

I'll rent you my 18' :)

Was just looking at Uhaul prices last night.. 26' Uhaul box truck from St George South OC - $326. Same truck, same day the other direction, $3000.

Going to be taking the 18' trailer full of stuff up there to St George, getting a Uhaul up there and driving it back to So Cal. It is 2 extra trips, but 1/3 the cost.

I think we are gonna do a couple POD deals, and a couple trucks to get everything up there.

CarolynandBob

Reaction score
As other have said. Sell the big heavy stuff. It probably won't "go with" the new house anyway. Wife will want different stuff. Then if you can do the Upack. We used them moving our stuff from CA to FL.

Congrats on finding a place and welcome to south.

Englewood

Reaction score
@shippingguy

I’d lease a full tractor trailer for a week if possible.

Pay movers in havasu to load it in a day or two.

Schedule movers in Alabama to unload it.

Not sure how hard that is to orchestrate
I was thinking the exact same thing. I bet it’s much cheaper 🤷‍♂️

FROGMAN524

Reaction score
Ii must have missed it but where is he moving and why?

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
I was just talking to my buddy John yesterday. He owns Ruff & Ready Moving in Temecula. They do cross country moves and the cost blew me away! I would just sell everything!!

If you want to hit him up, I will text you his number.

Berdes

Reaction score
Pack it up yourself in Pods with your locks. They transport and drop at new location.
We used PODS. Worst decision we ever made. After all the rest of the bullcrap, we bought in Alabama (Southside} only to find out they don't deliver to this state. Had to hire another moving company to empty the pod in its storage location in NJ and deliver it here. We recieved about seventy five percent of our stuff and twenty five percent of that was broken. Of course PODS blamed the moving company and they blamed PODS. Endded up with a setelment check of eighty dollars and a disclaimer that we should have read the fine print on the back of the proposal.

parker guy

Reaction score
I'm in the same boat... Thinking to buy a used box truck and make a few rounds and then sell it.

My dilemma is I'm moving to Texas in like April, and my parents to the same area later in the year. Do we take it all in one big lump (and they live here without a lot of stuff in the meantime), or do we split it into two moves at almost double the cost and time? Then we have the large things to move like the cars and boat etc.

We're not taking any furniture, only boxes. Bulk random stuff like snowboards, fishing roads etc. we're gonna pack ourselves using cardboard and shrink wrap. Guns and ammo and business files and personal important stuff are going in the suburban
We are moving to Aledo Texas as well in October…where are you moving to?

DaveH

Reaction score
I was thinking this also, Fresh Start, but the wives usually are the ones not keen on this.
i said that because i just had a family member move from Idaho to down here in LV.

told them to JUNK EVERYTHING they possibly could and only move what REALLY mattered.

but nope, in true "chick logic" they got a pod and spent a ridiculous amount of money having everything brought down.

yesterday I threw away the couch she no longer wanted and asked her what she intended to do with the SNOW SHOES she brought here. and this is only the begining.

gqchris

Reaction score
i said that because i just had a family member move from Idaho to down here in LV.

told them to JUNK EVERYTHING they possibly could and only move what REALLY mattered.

but nope, in true "chick logic" they got a pod and spent a ridiculous amount of money having everything brought down.

yesterday I threw away the couch she no longer wanted and asked her what she intended to do with the SNOW SHOES she brought here. and this is only the begining.
Yup, I have lived with that type in the past! LOL....My wife is the exact opposite now. She throws everything away instantly. LOL....Im like WTF, we just bought that? I guess it goes both ways!

Long Way Home

Dog Days of Summer!
Reaction score
Last year a friend moved from Sacramento to Bend, OR, he got 3 bids that range from $10K to 17K for a 3 bed, 2 bath 2000 SQFT home. He purchase a used 26 ft box Ryder moving truck for about $60K made one payment and sold the truck in Oregon, He said he hired movers to load and unload the truck, after all said and done it only cost he a few thousand to move after 4-men/movers, fuel, food etc.
Make sure you get a lift gate.

Last edited:

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
I'll rent you my 18' :)

Was just looking at Uhaul prices last night.. 26' Uhaul box truck from St George South OC - $326. Same truck, same day the other direction, $3000.

Going to be taking the 18' trailer full of stuff up there to St George, getting a Uhaul up there and driving it back to So Cal. It is 2 extra trips, but 1/3 the cost.

I think we are gonna do a couple POD deals, and a couple trucks to get everything up there.
Post earthquake exodus from SFV I was in a u haul and people were in line to “move out”. Young couple in front of me were stressing on the one way from Cali rates.
I said why don’t you fly to Phoenix for 49 dollars and drive a truck back?
They looked at me for a minute and said “you can do that?”
🤦‍♂️

fmo24

Reaction score
Post earthquake exodus from SFV I was in a u haul and people were in line to “move out”. Young couple in front of me were stressing on the one way from Cali rates.
I said why don’t you fly to Phoenix for 49 dollars and drive a truck back?
They looked at me for a minute and said “you can do that?”
🤦‍♂️
This is what friends did when moving to Florida. It was a third the price from Phoenix. Drove truck back to Palm Springs loaded it up and drove to Florida.

rrrr

Reaction score
I sure miss this place……. Many years of great memories! Enjoy the video. My wife and I put a lot of work into remodeling the condo you are about to see!

What a beautiful residence. It must have required hours and hours of consultations with architects and interior designers.

I really dig contemporary styling, and your former home is a fantastic example of how exciting the genre can be.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I would sell most everything and buy new Walt.. you are going to get “ok” money for all your stuff even though it will feel like nothing.

When you see how cheap shit is on the other side you are gonna be money ahead.

C-Ya

Int’l Maritime Captain
Reaction score
What a beautiful residence. It must have required hours and hours of consultations with architects and interior designers.

I really dig contemporary styling, and your former home is a fantastic example of how exciting the genre can be.

I wasn’t going to post this fact…… but what the hell, Why Not?

We did the entire remodel on National Television. Our remodel was done on the HGTV Show “Designer‘s Challenge” in 2005. It was also featured in several magazines, Phoenix Home and Garden being one of them. We went way over budget! (FYI, the tv network pays you no money whatsoever).

Heres a funny fact………. Once it was remodeled and we invited a guest or guests over who had no idea about our condo or TV show involvement, we could guess with almost 100% certainty what the first 3 words out of their mouth would be…….… OH MY GOD.

Our building had doormen, concierge, security staff, gym, clubhouse, pool, spa, sauna, massage room, air conditioning parking, and many other nice amenities. it wasn’t a typical condo.

Glad you enjoyed the video. It had been awhile since I watched it, and it brought back some great memories. We had some great parties there. It was front and center of all the Phoenix fireworks shows on the 4th of July. The best view in town!

Ok, let get back to moving. Sorry for slight derail.

PaPaG

Reaction score
Sell it ALL!, well except for personal items, newer clothes, special items, etc...what ever can fit in a 20 foot trailer take it with you other than that sell it all and buy new. The 30-35k you are going to spend can be spent on new furniture, bedding, etc. Once our other place goes up for sale in BC I am giving away all our furniture to any family or friend that wants it and keeping some clothes, tools and some personal items, wife loved that idea because she got to buy all new stuff for the new place.

Todd Mohr

Will Race For Beer
Reaction score
If you decide to sell some furniture, I have a 1 bedroom condo I need to furnish in Havasu.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Sell it ALL!, well except for personal items, newer clothes, special items, etc...what ever can fit in a 20 foot trailer take it with you other than that sell it all and buy new. The 30-35k you are going to spend can be spent on new furniture, bedding, etc. Once our other place goes up for sale in BC I am giving away all our furniture to any family or friend that wants it and keeping some clothes, tools and some personal items, wife loved that idea because she got to buy all new stuff for the new place.

In my world that $30-$35K will be a savings, as opposed to buying all new. 😂

C-Ya

Int’l Maritime Captain
Reaction score
Hey I just remembered something useful to this thread…… Quality cardboard boxes.

You can buy boxes from Home Depot or Lowes. But….. the boxes that you can buy from Uhaul, are much more quality boxes and will out last the others by years. They only cost a small amount more. Uhaul also has garment boxes that have a pole that snaps into box to hang garments. These were a godsend for my wife’s wardrobe.easy too.

I am sure your wives are like mine….. pairs of shoes by the hundreds!

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I was gonna say has anyone priced decent furniture lately? You thought the move was bad? Just wait lol

We are going to sell/offload/trash some stuff, we are doing a scan now of crap that just sits and does not get used... like the exercise bike. I think we can also use my MIL garage to store some bulky items that just take up a lot of space like some of the outdoor stuff, and I can take a trip back down to get it all after we get settled in. That will be a big help. If we can get it to a point where we are just taking furniture and packed boxes directly there, it won't be too bad.

fmo24

Reaction score
When we went full time rving we were lucky to sell our house in Palm Springs fully furnished. i told my brothers come raid the garage and my partners work associates to come take what they wanted from the garage. I would not want to move a ton of furniture unless it has serious personal attachments.

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
I was gonna say has anyone priced decent furniture lately? You thought the move was bad? Just wait lol
Understatement. Went to Crate and Barrel to check out a couch my wife liked for the new house and it was over $10k... wtf.

Havasu blue label

Reaction score
Why would you move from havasu it’s the next newport beach all cash buyers

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
In my world that $30-$35K will be a savings, as opposed to buying all new. 😂
Yeah no kidding, our sectional couch was $5500, everything else borderline ridiculous, my wife has receipts for over $40,000 in furniture and bedding after we sold the last place full furnished.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Hey I just remembered something useful to this thread…… Quality cardboard boxes.

You can buy boxes from Home Depot or Lowes. But….. the boxes that you can buy from Uhaul, are much more quality boxes and will out last the others by years. They only cost a small amount more. Uhaul also has garment boxes that have a pole that snaps into box to hang garments. These were a godsend for my wife’s wardrobe.easy too.

I am sure your wives are like mine….. pairs of shoes by the hundreds!
Actually I am bit of a shoe and boot bitch, I have more than her. She makes it a point of telling this to everyone when she shows people around the house.

rrrr

Reaction score
We aren't moving, but a couple of months ago we had our house repaired and repainted. Over the years the Texas expanding clay soil caused multiple wall cracks in every room.

We had 41 piers installed, and then the painting contractor moved in for five weeks. This required moving everything from one side of the house to the other.

While all of our junk was out in the open, we went through it as if we were moving across the country. Loads of "stuff" was donated. I reduced my hanging closet space to a single 7' rod. Everything we owned that had not been used or worn in two years was disposed of.

We will probably sell our house in a few years and move to our property near the lake. That'll be a lot easier now.

lake p.a.l.

Reaction score
I have an empty dually leaving Havasu on Feb 10 headed back to LOTO & happy to help. 925-421-five nine six nine