WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Long shot here, boat help needed

LakeBeard

Reaction score
I know its going to be tuff, but I need my boat looked at ASAP, its been fine all summer, had it serviced at the end of the season, but now its taking on water. After I run the bilge the auto bilge comes on w/in 20 min. if I just let if go, it will run every 5 min. but only when beached, when in the marina its fine. I'm not a mechanic, but I'm told its the bellows and that sound pretty far out of my wheel house. So does anybody know of a mechanic that I an drop my boat w/ on Saturday? I usually have Premier sports handle all my needs but they are book until Sept. I called a few other places I googled and they said no way...

C08H18

Reaction score
Do a quick inspection of the rubber bellows on the outdrive itself. You likely have a crack in the rubber and the entire bellow will need to be replaced. The crack may be slightly above the waterline where it leaks while the bow is beached and the stern is setting low in the water.

If you can identify the problem, a shop can provide a better estimate and assure the parts are in house before pulling it apart.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
I know its going to be tuff, but I need my boat looked at ASAP, its been fine all summer, had it serviced at the end of the season, but now its taking on water. After I run the bilge the auto bilge comes on w/in 20 min. if I just let if go, it will run every 5 min. but only when beached, when in the marina its fine. I'm not a mechanic, but I'm told its the bellows and that sound pretty far out of my wheel house. So does anybody know of a mechanic that I an drop my boat w/ on Saturday? I usually have Premier sports handle all my needs but they are book until Sept. I called a few other places I googled and they said no way...

try and tighten the nuts around on the transom assembly fist. Could be leaking from the seal.

LakeBeard

Reaction score
thanks guys, I'll try that this weekend, if its a small crack, is there a temp fix, or just leave it out of the water until is done right?

Done-it-again

Reaction score
If its a shift bellow you are good for a bit, if its the shaft bellow I would keep it out of the water and fix it asap.

If my boat is leaking I try and get it fixed asap before using it.

Jay Dub

Reaction score
odd. leaks when beached but not in marina. Do you mean in a slip at the marina? thinking, trim down in marina and trimmed up while beached? I had cracked shift bellows once on our old boat. When floating on anchor bilge would kick in about every 30mins.

traquer

Reaction score
odd. leaks when beached but not in marina. Do you mean in a slip at the marina? thinking, trim down in marina and trimmed up while beached? I had cracked shift bellows once on our old boat. When floating on anchor bilge would kick in about every 30mins.
Probably this. I've experienced the opposite too on my old boat and current boat. Probably related to angle of trim. Also, perhaps when the boat is running there is some leaking coolant water from a hose? I heard the gimbal bearing can leak too.

Badchoices03

Reaction score
Sounds like the shift cable bellows, thats exactly what my boat was doing, I am currently in the process of replacing all the bellows, bearing, shift cable, etc. But it was doing the same exact thing, floating in the water it hardly took on any water, but when beached it would take on water and I would have to run the bilge....should be an easy check, the replacement, not so easy.

Raise the drive all the way up and look on the lower right hand side, this is basically what mine looked like:
Bellows.jpg

LakeBeard

Reaction score
Sounds like the shift cable bellows, thats exactly what my boat was doing, I am currently in the process of replacing all the bellows, bearing, shift cable, etc. But it was doing the same exact thing, floating in the water it hardly took on any water, but when beached it would take on water and I would have to run the bilge....should be an easy check, the replacement, not so easy.

Raise the drive all the way up and look on the lower right hand side, this is basically what mine looked like:
View attachment 1017171
good info, I'll check it out this weekend.

boatdoc55

Rest Easy Retired Boat Mechanic 😢🚤
Reaction score

View attachment 1017171
Boy have I seen that about 300 times over the years!!

hawgty55

Reaction score
Temporary fix? Sounds like you have been doing it with the bilge pumps.

Badchoices03

Reaction score
what's the ball park to have it replaced as he describes?

Well I was told to replace all the bellows, Gimbal bearing, shift cable and trim senders all at once because you kinda have to take them all off anyway, so might was do it all as preventative measures....I was quoted anywhere from $1800 - $2200, but most shops were out about 3 months, so I tackled the repair myself...and its been less then fun so far.

LakeBeard

Reaction score
Well I was told to replace all the bellows, Gimbal bearing, shift cable and trim senders all at once because you kinda have to take them all off anyway, so might was do it all as preventative measures....I was quoted anywhere from $1800 - $2200, but most shops were out about 3 months, so I tackled the repair myself...and its been less then fun so far.
DAMN, that's pricey. My boss did his a few years ago, did not look like fun & he's twice the mechanic I am. My wife just told me we have an app in Fort Mohave this weekend, not sure how she got us in, but I'm stoked on that.

Badchoices03

Reaction score
DAMN, that's pricey. My boss did his a few years ago, did not look like fun & he's twice the mechanic I am. My wife just told me we have an app in Fort Mohave this weekend, not sure how she got us in, but I'm stoked on that.

Nice, hopefully they aren't like the shops around here, they will give you an appointment to bring your boat in, then hold onto it forever...my brother made an appointment at a local shop, said to bring it in the following week....its been for about 2 months now.

LakeBeard

Reaction score
ok, she got us into Matts Motor sports in Fort Mohave, anyone ever deal w/ these folks? Reviews look good

1624400738031.png

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
I tried to get my boat in just to have the motor dropped in, A less than 1 hour job and I couldn't find anybody less the 3 weeks out. I got Chong marine to do it by leaving my number with him and he called I had 30 minutes to get it there. Got it done in 50 minutes.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Fun fact - if the boat sinks while beached because of a bad bellows, bad rub rail seal, missing rub rail screw, basically ANYTHING that can be deemed "poor maintenance" or "mechanical neglect" - your insurance adjuster will deny your claim. At least, State Farm will!
Get it fixed!

240Hallett

Reaction score
Fun fact - if the boat sinks while beached because of a bad bellows, bad rub rail seal, missing rub rail screw, basically ANYTHING that can be deemed "poor maintenance" or "mechanical neglect" - your insurance adjuster will deny your claim. At least, State Farm will!
Get it fixed!
Is this where we’re supposed to not ask how you know??

3queens

Detachable Member
Reaction score
ok, she got us into Matts Motor sports in Fort Mohave, anyone ever deal w/ these folks? Reviews look good

View attachment 1017201

all my years in the BHC I would not rely on anyone there to work on my stuff let alone a BIG job like that
I would wait for a shop in havi or tow it home to be fixed
Namba860 or call Iguana marine they also seem to be helping peeps
Just .02 worth

bilz

Newly Retired!😁
Reaction score
Buddy has been using this place in BHC for 3 years now. He does automotive, rv and marine. Works on his Suburban as well as his Hallet. He just serviced my boat. I will definitely go back.
Quality Care Auto 928 763 2212
On the Miracle Mile near Marina Bl.

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
Do you have a Merc outdrive? There is a big rubber bellow and a small one.

You can at least inspect the bellows yourself in the meantime and look for cracks.

tilt the drive up and turn it to one side then the other.

Look all around the rubber boots inside the gimbal (on the outside). Get your flashlight and look for cracks in the boots.

JDub24

American Bad-Ass!!
Reaction score
If it’s a small crack and you are just trying to save a weekend you could use some silicone as a VERY temporary fix until you can make a proper repair. Just make sure and buy the proper product and give it plenty of cure time.
At the end of the day just make a contingency plan if it fails and you are out on the water. I used to carry a second bilge pump and hose with alligator clamps to hook directly to the battery just in case I took on a bunch of water. Cheap insurance.

CobraDave

Reaction score
Many shops in SoCal are just as backed up. I’m sure you can find one but might take a few phone calls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
If its a shift bellow you are good for a bit, if its the shaft bellow I would keep it out of the water and fix it asap.

If my boat is leaking I try and get it fixed asap before using it.

So much for your sense of adventure...

:rolleyes: 😁

traquer

Reaction score
Tilly's Marine in Norco is only a few weeks out, most people think they only work on Wakeboats so they don't call. @LakeBeard

port austin pirate

Reaction score
did the shifter boot on my 22 formula, not to bad a job but you want to have a lot of tools repair manuel ( could check u-tube vids) and a place that will lend or rent some specialty tools if needed ,alignment en such best know what it entails before you tackle it.