WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Long Travel, To Be or Not To Be

Instigator

Just Livin up to My Name
Reaction score
:hmm Ok, I've been waiting to see what the consensus is but nobody has really talked much about it so here it goes.
What is best for all around desert riding that gives the best ride and all around performance for Yahmaha Rhino's ? Full Long Travel Suspension or Stock Suspension with Aftermarket Shocks ? :hmm

Let's hear the pros and cons. :D

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
I'm pretty happy with my stock arms with Bilsteins. I'm sure long travel would be better but then it won't fit in the back of my truck and towing sucks!!!!!!!!
________
Honda VFR800

Last edited:

Phebus

Past Poster.
Reaction score
If I had the money, I would go with the LSR mid travel.

Havaduner

Never home on weekends
Reaction score
If I was going to go with a long travel set up, I agree with Phebus, the LSR midtravel really looks like a nice way to go.
On my first 07, I have stock arms, with Walker Evans shocks. Took a little work with gettting the preload right, but they work very nice.
On my second 07, I went with the stock shocks off the silver 07 sport edition. they are a resivoir shock, with adjustable compression and rebound damping. A little fine tuning, and they work great!

Instigator

Just Livin up to My Name
Reaction score
I have a freind of mine that owns a sandrail company and he is going to build a full set of a arms for long travel. He asked if I wanted in and the total cost would be less than 3000.00 complete with axles and King Shocks. Sounds cheaper than what I have seen so I thought sure. Figured that if it didn't work well for me that I could ebay them for my investment. I really want to hear from someone who currently has long travel.

brewzed

Reaction score
Long travel is the only way to go. Most people that say different either can't afford it or haven't driven a rhino with it. If you are going to drive it hard, it's worth every penny. The other must have item is the gusset kit and diff. support bracket. If your'e going to cruise around, then go with a good aftermarkert replacement. I have the rhino tech kit with king piggybacks and gorilla axles. I've had it on there for 2 years without any problems and I beat the hell out of it.

Instigator

Just Livin up to My Name
Reaction score
Thanks. That's the kind of input I was looking for.:beer

Havaduner

Never home on weekends
Reaction score
Long travel is the only way to go. Most people that say different either can't afford it or haven't driven a rhino with it. If you are going to drive it hard, it's worth every penny. The other must have item is the gusset kit and diff. support bracket. If your'e going to cruise around, then go with a good aftermarkert replacement. I have the rhino tech kit with king piggybacks and gorilla axles. I've had it on there for 2 years without any problems and I beat the hell out of it.

What other mods have you done?

selfmade

Reaction score
I have the LSR longtravel with Elkas. It made the biggest difference in the ride. When I had stock travel I could not keep up with a friend of mine through the dunes. He is a better driver. Once i put long travel on I was able to keep up alot better. It helped me alot with the whoops as I didn't hit them as smooth as he did.

Magic34

Reaction score
I have a ton of mods in my Rhino so I feel qualified to answer this question.

If saving money is your goal, I suggest getting some Bilstein shocks and some PRP high back replacement seats. This mod alone will feel better than just doing long travel alone. I would also get some 1.75" wheel spacers as well.

I have driven many different set ups. Before I had my 6" long travel, I went riding with the builder of my LT kit. My Rhino was still stock, except I had PRP seats and he had the LT on and stock seats.

I much more preferred my Rhino iwth the seats on the desert/mountain trails over driving his Rhino with LT. The seat absorbs more of the roughness of the ride than the LT did. The LT allowed you to run aster through the rough stuff, however you ass was sore from the seat. Whereas the PRP seats were a much better feel than the toher in that situation.

So, I go all out on my Rhino and I buy my in-laws an arctic cat prowler. My sis-in-law comes to the dunes with us and bends a tie rod and blows out 2 of the stock shocks on the prowler. I replaced them with Bilsteins and new tie rods. I then take it for a ride at the dune and was frickin amazed how well it did. I could drive that Prowler 35 MPH through the whoops where 15 MPH felt like killing you before.

$3000 seems like a easy number to shoot for, but the King shocks dealer for around $1600-$1800 (not retail) depending on model and the axles are around another $1000. I think you'll be more around $3500-$3800 with your buddy building them and hooking you up after all the parts needed are purchased.

If I was on a budget building it, PRP seats, Bilstein shocks and spacers are perfect. This is coming from a guy that has driven a Rhino for 500+ miles with no LT and another 500+ miles with LT.

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score

Sorry to say but I can afford it if I really wanted it. After putting the Bilsteins on I just can't imagine blowing another $5-$6k for long travel. Long travel does help, BUT.......... it still doesn't solve the short wheel base problem of the Rhino. For what I use my Rhino for I feel long travel really isn't worth the money. Just my .02. :D
________
ELECTRIC CIGARETTES

Last edited:

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
If I had the money, I would go with the LSR mid travel.

The LSR mid travel setup is nice but if your gonna go that far you might as well go all out with the long travel setup. I've already got the shocks for the mid travel kit so if I found a smoking deal on it I might be tempted but then it really would kill a lot of the usage of my rhino for me.
________
SUBARU R1E SPECIFICATIONS

Last edited:

Instigator

Just Livin up to My Name
Reaction score
Ok. Here's my mods so far.
ITP 27" tires and wheels. Full Cage, Ignition Module, Renegade Suspension Seats from and rear, full 3 point harnesses, 686 engine with duners clutch kit and sheave machined ( big difference ), chassis dyno tuned, replacement hid's, stereo, amp, speaker sound bar, additional optima battery, Train horns. Right now it runs 58 mph top end but it gets there way faster than any stock one.
As far as the Long Travel setup goes
Weldments for A Arms= 500.00
Shocks=900.00
Axles= 600.00
A Arms with tie rod extentions=800.00
Total = 2800.00
I think for the price it's hard to go wrong as I can always go back to stock if I don't like it and sell/trade the stuff on Craigslist for a set of Bilstiens or Factory Bypass or Walker Evans Shocks.
I was just hoping to hear some feed back from people with long travel that desert ride as to what their opinion was.
Just Fishin. ;)

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
Ok. Here's my mods so far.
ITP 27" tires and wheels. Full Cage, Ignition Module, Renegade Suspension Seats from and rear, full 3 point harnesses, 686 engine with duners clutch kit and sheave machined ( big difference ), chassis dyno tuned, replacement hid's, stereo, amp, speaker sound bar, additional optima battery, Train horns. Right now it runs 58 mph top end but it gets there way faster than any stock one.
As far as the Long Travel setup goes
Weldments for A Arms= 500.00
Shocks=900.00
Axles= 600.00
A Arms with tie rod extentions=800.00
Total = 2800.00
I think for the price it's hard to go wrong as I can always go back to stock if I don't like it and sell/trade the stuff on Craigslist for a set of Bilstiens or Factory Bypass or Walker Evans Shocks.
I was just hoping to hear some feed back from people with long travel that desert ride as to what their opinion was.
Just Fishin. ;)
Thats seems very cheap for shocks and axles. :hmm
________
Marijuana Strains

Last edited:

Instigator

Just Livin up to My Name
Reaction score
My buddy owns a well known sand car mfg company so he gets a pretty long arm deal. He wants to build 3-4 sets of LT Kits for himself and a few freinds but doesn't want to get into the market of LT Kits. He just wants to build a few and correct all the turning issues and the bump steer issues. I already told him that I was in when he builds them but just wanted to hear some feedback before he builds them.
Here's a link to a different person in Phoenix that is also building them. Doesn't seem like a bad deal either. 3800.00 starter kit.
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/rvs/527446939.html
:D

Magic34

Reaction score
My buddy owns a well known sand car mfg company so he gets a pretty long arm deal. He wants to build 3-4 sets of LT Kits for himself and a few freinds but doesn't want to get into the market of LT Kits. He just wants to build a few and correct all the truning issues and the bump steer issues. I already told him that I was in when he builds them but just wanted to hear some feedback before he builds them.
Here's a link to a different person in Phoenix that is also building them. Doesn't seem like a bad deal either. 3800.00 starter kit.
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/rvs/527446939.html
:D

My shocks for my Rhino were $1800 DEALER and that was with a big bulk buy purchase. My Gorilla axles were around $1600 DEALER.

$900 for shocks seems damn near free to me.

Instigator

Just Livin up to My Name
Reaction score
My shocks for my Rhino were $1800 DEALER and that was with a big bulk buy purchase. My Gorilla axles were around $1600 DEALER.

$900 for shocks seems damn near free to me.

Cool. What Shocks and What Axles ? Do you have part numbers to comapre as I'm sure there may be some differences. :D

Magic34

Reaction score
Cool. What Shocks and What Axles ? Do you have part numbers to comapre as I'm sure there may be some differences. :D

I dont have part numbers as my deal was a simple "here's the cash bro" and at the time I paid mfg cost for my parts.

I know that the 6" Gorilla axles with CVs were around $1600 and the shocks from King direct were just a few hundred more. I have resi if it matters???

Instigator

Just Livin up to My Name
Reaction score
I dont have part numbers as my deal was a simple "here's the cash bro" and at the time I paid mfg cost for my parts.

I know that the 6" Gorilla axles with CVs were around $1600 and the shocks from King direct were just a few hundred more. I have resi if it matters???

How does your setup work ? Are you happy with it ? If not why ?

Magic34

Reaction score
How does your setup work ? Are you happy with it ? If not why ?

It works well and I am happy with it.

However if my primary riding was the desert and mountains and not the dunes, I would have saved my money.

For a long ride in the desert and/or mountin trails the seats are the difference maker for it.

EDIT: For further explaination, I wanted the extra width for when i was on some steep slopes in the dunes. I rode various mountain/desert trails with an offset wheel and spacers (before long travel) and I felt like the Rhino was very much stable.

I am not trying to talk you out of long travel. What I am trying to say is that if you on a budget of $3000, you can get 2 new front seats for $300 each, Bilstein shocks for $1200, and spacers for $200. That is $2000 for everything and you still have $1000 for some minor tune up itmes like exhaust, programmer, etc to make the Rhino run a little harder.

Instigator

Just Livin up to My Name
Reaction score
Thanks for your input.:beer I did some homework and Gear One sells axles for 935.00 a set to the public. I'm sure there is a deal to a mfg so they might be a little more than 600.00, that's just what my freind said they should cost. We'll have to wait and see. As far as shocks go there are soooo many different configurations available and all at a different price. That's why I was asking what you had. Air, Gas, Coil Over, Dampening, Preload, Ride Height and so on. Just doing some homework for now and looking for input from other peeps. Good Luck :beer

Magic34

Reaction score
Thanks for your input.:beer I did some homework and Gear One sells axles for 935.00 a set to the public so I'm sure there is a deal to a mfg so they might be a little more that 600.00, that's just what my freind said they should cost. We'll have to wait and see. As far as shocks go there are soooo many different configurations available and all at a different price. That's whey I was asking what you had. Air, Gas, Coil Over, Dampening, Preload, Ride Height and so on. Just doing some homework for know and looking for input from other peeps. Geed Luck :beer

Check my edit in the above posts. I am also attaching a picture of my LT so you ca see my shocks.

Attachments

• IMG_1163.jpg
    IMG_1163.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 201

Instigator

Just Livin up to My Name
Reaction score
It works well and I am happy with it.

However if my primary riding was the desert and mountains and not the dunes, I would have saved my money.

For a long ride in the desert and/or mountin trails the seats are the difference maker for it.

EDIT: For further explaination, I wanted the extra width for when i was on some steep slopes in the dunes. I rode various mountain/desert trails with an offset wheel and spacers (before long travel) and I felt like the Rhino was very much stable.

I am not trying to talk you out of long travel. What I am trying to say is that if you on a budget of $3000, you can get 2 new front seats for $300 each, Bilstein shocks for $1200, and spacers for $200. That is $2000 for everything and you still have $1000 for some minor tune up itmes like exhaust, programmer, etc to make the Rhino run a little harder.

Thanks. As I posted earlier, I have already done suspension seats as well as some other mods so I'm looking for pros and cons of Long Travel. :beer

adam@wired

Reaction score
xxx longtravel fox shox 300m axels by summer bros all steering parts 4500 tto all on daves place 951 696 2200 adam

Attachments

• 100_1162.jpg
    100_1162.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 213
  • 100_1163.jpg
    100_1163.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 218
  • 100_1164.jpg
    100_1164.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 214
  • 100_1165.jpg
    100_1165.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 218
  • 100_1166.jpg
    100_1166.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 205
  • 100_1167.jpg
    100_1167.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 213

brewzed

Reaction score
What other mods have you done?

I've done everything except full doors and the engine internals are stock.
Probably going to go to a wide body kit over the summer and I don't want to touch the inside of the motor until I have too. Paint is getting beat up out in the desert, but then again it's built to drive. The coolest thing I've added is an LED light bar. This picture was before I installed it.
I have some pictures with the light bar, but I have to scale them down.

You can see on the pic, rhino is level and both wheels are flat on the ground. A stocker, even with aftermarket shocks would be leaning and probably the drivers side tire would be off the ground.

Attachments

• hava7.jpg
    hava7.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 223

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
Yeah to do Axle shafts you can find them for 700 but the Shocks I cannot figure what brand you can get for that unless they are an emulsion Shock not a coilover, but hell I would do it if I were you I have had 7 rhino's now 4 with and 3 without and I love it I beat the shi# out of mine for 2 years never an issue with anything but the Axles from Gear one then I went to the Summer's axles and had great luck... But be sure to do full tie rod's not extention's they break all the time...

Instigator

Just Livin up to My Name
Reaction score
I've done everything except full doors and the engine internals are stock.
Probably going to go to a wide body kit over the summer and I don't want to touch the inside of the motor until I have too. Paint is getting beat up out in the desert, but then again it's built to drive. The coolest thing I've added is an LED light bar. This picture was before I installed it.
I have some pictures with the light bar, but I have to scale them down.

You can see on the pic, rhino is level and both wheels are flat on the ground. A stocker, even with aftermarket shocks would be leaning and probably the drivers side tire would be off the ground.

Sweet. That's a great looking Rhino. Congrats. How does it do in the whoops in the river bottom ? What shocks ?( Part Number I hope ) Do you find it to be too wide for some trails or are you OK on most trails ?:beer

Instigator

Just Livin up to My Name
Reaction score
xxx longtravel fox shox 300m axels by summer bros all steering parts 4500 tto all on daves place 951 696 2200 adam
Very sweet a arms and I really like the tie rods . How is the steering ? Did you lose any turning radius ? How about bump steer ? How does it do in the whoops in the river bottom ? :D:beer

Magic34

Reaction score

Instigator

Just Livin up to My Name
Reaction score
Yeah to do Axle shafts you can find them for 700 but the Shocks I cannot figure what brand you can get for that unless they are an emulsion Shock not a coilover, but hell I would do it if I were you I have had 7 rhino's now 4 with and 3 without and I love it I beat the shi# out of mine for 2 years never an issue with anything but the Axles from Gear one then I went to the Summer's axles and had great luck... But be sure to do full tie rod's not extention's they break all the time...
Thanks for the info. This is great info. How do sommers price compared to Gorilla ? As far as shocks I'm not sure what type of shocks he was talking about but he did say they were Fox coil overs. That's one of the things that I'm researching now as I think that the shocks are THE major key to making the whole thing come together correctly. :D:beer

Instigator

Just Livin up to My Name
Reaction score
Yes. I was going to put a different kit on it if someone wanted the billet kit. The reason was only due to a personal decision with me and my former busienss partner. Nothing to do with the performance of the kit. Just didn't want something with the company name on it. It is a great kit.

Well at least you gotta bump on your LT Kit. Good Luck.

Magic34

Reaction score
Well at least you gotta bump on your LT Kit. Good Luck.

Thanks. As you can tell, I am not actively trying to sell anything. I am switching the the Rigid Industries kit if it does sell. However, I dont expect anything to move like the kit I have. The billet kits are just too much frickin money! :D

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
The Gorrilla's are great as they are a complete Axle, however they are not cheap if someone say's they can get them for under 1k for a set of 4 buy 3-4 set's as the cheepest when I was racing Rhino's I could get them for was 350$ each which is 1400, so idk. For replacement shaft's I would ONLY use Summer's bros if I was going to do it again. I just today tossed out 7 Gearone shaft's that were broken, not sure why I was saving them but while packing the Garage for my move I finally tossed them. But the shocks when your dealing with Fox, King, Bilstein, Radflo, etc are pretty much all the same, just all depends on who tunes them for you there is definately an art to fine tuning a shock and those who know the art are worth their name in gold for sure you can use the most expensive shock out there if not valved and sprung right will ride like poo, I would put alot of money up against my old race rhino to any other rhino out there to race it through the whoops, you could not jump it but it was stupid fast through the biggest ugliest whoop's you put in front of it.

Ivan Dan

Reaction score
The LSR mid travel setup is nice but if your gonna go that far you might as well go all out with the long travel setup. I've already got the shocks for the mid travel kit so if I found a smoking deal on it I might be tempted but then it really would kill a lot of the usage of my rhino for me.

You mean like this one????? :D

Magic34

Reaction score
Only problem is I'd have to trailer the rhino everywhere and I would limit myself on some of the trails we take in Lake Arrowhead.

This is code for "not living with ma has a grip on my wallet and not letting go!"

:D :D

Magic34

Reaction score
By the way... That XXX motosports LT that Adam posted is a great deal on a retail purchase and it looks good.

Instigator

Just Livin up to My Name
Reaction score
Well, I think we are on our way to a long travel kit. The a-arm jigs are built and the first set of front arms have been fabbed. Maybe this weekend we will build the rears and another complete set or two.:D

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
Well, I think we are on our way to a long travel kit. The a-arm jigs are built and the first set of front arms have been fabbed. Maybe this weekend we will build the rears and another complete set or two.:D

Any pics of the front arms? Are they uniball or will the stock ball joints be used?
________
GALAXIE

Last edited:

jordy

Banned
Reaction score
Any pics of the front arms? Are they uniball or will the stock ball joints be used?

Did I miss the memo where you're allowed to think outside your funeral, or are you just pulling at Tobtek and kicking the shit out of everyone elses' tires???? Assclown. :lmao:eek::beer :D

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
Did I miss the memo where you're allowed to think outside your funeral, or are you just pulling at Tobtek and kicking the shit out of everyone elses' tires???? Assclown. :lmao:eek::beer :D

Unlike some people I am not going into marriage too soon and unprepared. I may just have a couple dollars saved up. :hmm Now, if I could only figure out a way to fit my Rhino in the back of my truck with a long travel kit on it. :rolleyes::D
________
Lincoln futura history

Last edited:

jordy

Banned
Reaction score
Unlike some people I am not going into marriage too soon and unprepared. I may just have a couple dollars saved up. :hmm Now, if I could only figure out a way to fit my Rhino in the back of my truck with a long travel kit on it. :rolleyes::D

Not going in too soon??? Anytime you say I DO is too soon!!! :beer

As far as the money you have saved, you had better spend it all now while it is still "your" money and before it becomes HER money. :lmao :fsakes:D

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
Not going in too soon??? Anytime you say I DO is too soon!!! :beer

As far as the money you have saved, you had better spend it all now while it is still "your" money and before it becomes HER money. :lmao :fsakes:D

Ever heard of a prenup?
________
Rd500Lc

Last edited: