WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Longtime listener, first time caller...

Wannagofast

Reaction score
Hey everyone. Ive convinced the wife that our next boat needs to be a performance boat (hence the name) and she has lost her mind and agreed to allow this to happen! I’ve been all over this forum for a while now and I gotta say it’s the very informative as well as entertaining. That said, I need some input from everybody. I’m looking at buying or building a 27-28’ w OB (wife’s one condition) and we spend 75% of our time at Powell and other 25% at Mead/Havasu. I’d like to cruise around 55-60 with moderate load but be able to run up to 80 with light load. Question on power options with most of our time being at 3700’, should I consider the 600 sci or will the 575 get it done on a V Hull? Thanks again!

Gelcoater

Reaction score
You might be better off with a v vs the cat if a 50-60 cruise is the goal.
Most of the 27-28 cats are just starting to pack air at that speed.

As to 575 or 600 debate, personally I’d opt for the 600sci as there is potential for much more power if you decide to want more later.
The N/A packaged just don’t have the upgrade potential unless you supercharge them. Which, you could have bought to begin with.

Reactions: DWC

Wannagofast

Reaction score
You might be better off with a v vs the cat if a 50-60 cruise is the goal.
Most of the 27-28 cats are just starting to pack air at that speed.

As to 575 or 600 debate, personally I’d opt for the 600sci as there is potential for much more power if you decide to want more later.
The N/A packaged just don’t have the upgrade potential unless you supercharge them. Which, you could have bought to begin with.

Thanks Gelcoater! Most of our boating being at Powell, I’m seriously looking at the Hallett 275. Any concern with most boating being at 3700’ with sci? I’ve read and heard mixed info that the 600 struggles at altitude. Is it as simple as prop selection to solve those issues? I’d hate to give up reliable NA power to find the 600 just chokes.

Appreciate all the great info on here. You guys rock.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Thanks Gelcoater! Most of our boating being at Powell, I’m seriously looking at the Hallett 275. Any concern with most boating being at 3700’ with sci? I’ve read and heard mixed info that the 600 struggles at altitude. Is it as simple as prop selection to solve those issues? I’d hate to give up reliable NA power to find the 600 just chokes.

Appreciate all the great info on here. You guys rock.
I’ve also read mixed reviews on that.
Regardless of sc or no there will be power loss as altitude rises.
Since the sci is being force fed rather than drawing atmosphere I’d think the loss would be less noticeable.
On the bright side, the 600 runs on 87 octane fuel, so🤷‍♂️
I’d imagine prop selection would matter too as to just won’t make the power you would at Mead or Havasu.
Either path would be a reliable setup.

Wannagofast

Reaction score
I’ve also read mixed reviews on that.
Regardless of sc or no there will be power loss as altitude rises.
Since the sci is being force fed rather than drawing atmosphere I’d think the loss would be less noticeable.
On the bright side, the 600 runs on 87 octane fuel, so🤷‍♂️
I’d imagine prop selection would matter too as to just won’t make the power you would at Mead or Havasu.
Either path would be a reliable setup.

Good points. Didn’t think of that. 🤔

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Welcome aboard rdp.
I'd imagine you can change the pulley(s) on the super charger to increase boost.

wishiknew

Reaction score
Hey everyone. Ive convinced the wife that our next boat needs to be a performance boat (hence the name) and she has lost her mind and agreed to allow this to happen! I’ve been all over this forum for a while now and I gotta say it’s the very informative as well as entertaining. That said, I need some input from everybody. I’m looking at buying or building a 27-28’ w OB (wife’s one condition) and we spend 75% of our time at Powell and other 25% at Mead/Havasu. I’d like to cruise around 55-60 with moderate load but be able to run up to 80 with light load. Question on power options with most of our time being at 3700’, should I consider the 600 sci or will the 575 get it done on a V Hull? Thanks again!
Hence the name ???