WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Looking at a 2020 Durango RT...

Cray Paper

Reaction score
Anyone have experience with the 5.7 V8 AWD Durango? The reasons my wife and I landed on the Durango are that it can be had with a V8, we both really like the interior, tech package etc on our challenger and similar, and it can be had with AWD. Me and my two sons range between 6" and 6'5" so that limits what works for us. My 5'3" wife will daily drive it during or crappy winters in the PNW so AWD and taller than sedan ride height are a big plus. The one we are looking at is a 2020, fully loaded, tech, tow, ventilated seats, rear seat entertainment, roof rack, only thing it doesn't have is the blackout package.

So.... anyone own or have experience with an RT Durango? Good experience, bad, things to be sure include or run away from? MSRP is a little over 60K, dealer is offering around 54K.

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
I have only noticed them around town. I like the way they look. Once the X5 craps out again, I am done with the German cars The sporty version of the Durango looks pretty nice.

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
2019-Dodge-Durango-.1..jpg

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
My son had one. It was a nice ride, but ....... it had the dreaded ecu failure. Where the ecu begins to shut down and cause other issues. Do some research to make sure this issue has been fixed. I don’t remember the year of his, it was a couple years ago.

grumpy88

Reaction score
I bought my wife a 2017 with the 5.7 awd citadel and we love it . Pulls the boat off the ramp good too . Down side is it has dodge quality leather .

Icky

Reaction score
I'm 6'2" with a 2019 durango, v6. We run the baby seat in the middle and I can't put my seat back all the way where I like it, not uncomfortable, but I'd rather push it back a bit. If everyone is tall I'd take them with you for the test drive, maybe we're just spoiled and used to the leg room in the mega cab. We have had 6 adults in it and luggage on our way to our last cruise, just put the bigger people up front.

No real complaints but probably will move up to a suburban or see what the new wagoneer looks like when it comes out

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Wife has the Durango GT which is 2wd V6. So far it’s has been great.

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
Had a ‘16 GC, similar to Durango, good buddy had a Durango at the same time, they are ok rigs. No comparison to a tahoe/suburban. The GM Rigs are light years ahead. Unless ur talking SRT OR TRACKHAWK GM is far superior, imo.

Havafewinsider

Reaction score
Anyone have experience with the 5.7 V8 AWD Durango? The reasons my wife and I landed on the Durango are that it can be had with a V8, we both really like the interior, tech package etc on our challenger and similar, and it can be had with AWD. Me and my two sons range between 6" and 6'5" so that limits what works for us. My 5'3" wife will daily drive it during or crappy winters in the PNW so AWD and taller than sedan ride height are a big plus. The one we are looking at is a 2020, fully loaded, tech, tow, ventilated seats, rear seat entertainment, roof rack, only thing it doesn't have is the blackout package.

So.... anyone own or have experience with an RT Durango? Good experience, bad, things to be sure include or run away from? MSRP is a little over 60K, dealer is offering around 54K.
we have a 2018 RT AWD fully loaded with zero problems. Ordered it from the dealer we got the buckets and the rear tvs. Always been a Chevy family and this was our first dodge and was really impressed. paid 53k before tax and license

PlumLoco

Vintage Jawa CZ motorcycles
Reaction score
If sticker is $60K it can be had for $48K if you are willing to work for it. And by "work for it" I mean find the one you want and return with an kitchen egg timer, walk into finance office, and set that thing for about 40 minutes. Tell him he has that long to get the paperwork drawn up for $48,000 or you will walk. Worked for my wife when she bought our Mega and the PT Cruz. It kinda makes car buying fun again.

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
Another option is the Jeep Grand Cherokee. Pretty sure they share the same chassis. Plus you can get It in either the SRT or Trail Hawk V8 editions :eek:

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
my dad had a durango for a while, until he had low compression in a cylinder due to a valve. turned out the head was toast and replacement hemi heads cost a small fortune. ended up just donating the thing with a dead cylinder.

Flatsix66

Reaction score
My wife has a 17 Durango RT with 5.7. She loves it, no problems after 70k miles. Great mileage, hauls the dogs in style, 7500lb tow rating with good ramp traction pulling the boat out. I want to say we paid around $40k back then, they discount deep on those things. I think the only dig on those things is the stock brakes, seem kind of puney for the size of the vehicle.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score

Take a look on car gurus. Doesent look like any deals on the site so i'm guessing there isn't much in rebates/incentives/markdowns on these.

JDub24

American Bad-Ass!!
Reaction score
We have a 2012 Durango RT AWD with 95k on it. It’s been a good vehicle and is fun to drive. It does have an electrical gremlin that Dodge has yet to figure out (fuel pump relay issue). Outside of that it’s been a great suv and has never left us stranded.

We are actually looking at trading it in and getting another if that says anything.

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
Another option is the Jeep Grand Cherokee. Pretty sure they share the same chassis. Plus you can get It in either the SRT or Trail Hawk V8 editions :eek:

Wish the Durango had a "Trail Hawk" trim. I can't pull the trigger on a Grand Cherokee because I need the third row.

Cray Paper

Reaction score
Pulled the trigger and bought the Durango. Would have loved to get an SRT Durango but cant justify the extra 20K right now. The 5.7 liter Hemi has sufficient power for passing / pulling anything I'm going to need in the next couple of years. The paint color is called "vice white", this is the only one I have seen with this color, it's basically pearl white. I really like the way it handles, rides nice, has just about every option my wife and I wanted.
IMG_6432.JPG
IMG_6426.JPG
IMG_6418.JPG

Runs2rch

Reaction score
Keep us posted. This is on my wife's short list.

Cray Paper

Reaction score
It is such a unique vehicle. I am 6'4" and used to driving HD trucks, Suburban's and Tahoe's. My wife is barely 5'3" and had never owned a SUV. She loves it because it feels semi premium ( the one we bought has every option you available except suede headliner and dash, handles well, has plenty of power for her with the V8, sits higher than her car but not so high that it feels like a truck and handles crisply. My wife isn't a soccer mom type, she likes driving a stick shift and is an aggressive driver. The appearance and sound does it for my wife, I that I fit comfortably in any of the seats and like the in your face appearance and V8 grunt / sound track. I would prefer a SRT or better yet, hell cat Durango but cant justify it right now.

I also like that with the tow package I will be able to tow the boat we will be looking to purchase in the near future, my kids fit in the rear captions seats and if my kids want friends to tag along it will seat 7 people comfortably.

Runs2rch

Reaction score
It is such a unique vehicle. I am 6'4" and used to driving HD trucks, Suburban's and Tahoe's. My wife is barely 5'3" and had never owned a SUV. She loves it because it feels semi premium ( the one we bought has every option you available except suede headliner and dash, handles well, has plenty of power for her with the V8, sits higher than her car but not so high that it feels like a truck and handles crisply. My wife isn't a soccer mom type, she likes driving a stick shift and is an aggressive driver. The appearance and sound does it for my wife, I that I fit comfortably in any of the seats and like the in your face appearance and V8 grunt / sound track. I would prefer a SRT or better yet, hell cat Durango but cant justify it right now.

I also like that with the tow package I will be able to tow the boat we will be looking to purchase in the near future, my kids fit in the rear captions seats and if my kids want friends to tag along it will seat 7 people comfortably.
Any dislikes?

Cray Paper

Reaction score
That's a good question. My wife has been daily driving it but has never owned or daily driven an SUV type vehicle and she has a lead foot. She is used to driving Japanese economy cars but has had Camaros her dad built in the past and drives aggressively.
My main dislike is that it doesn't get great fuel economy. The estimated fuel economy on the DIC is a tad optimism but close. The DIC calculates 16 average but actual is around 15.00. That is with my wife driving 20 miles each way to work at 65 MPH in the morning in shitty weather and 30-50 MPH on the way home. Fuel economy isn't great, but it depends on your commute. We took it on a couple of 200 mile road trips over mountain passes in inclement weather / snow and it got around 20 MPG.

We bought a 2020 model and the NAV screen is a little dated, the 2021 models NAV screen is much better. Worth several K more, I don't think so. I am used to driving American trucks and full size SUV's based on the trucks and am not used to stepping out of the Durango. It feels like I'm driving a car, but the step out height is much higher so I rub my leg on the rocker sill. Maybe it's just me, but it always feels weird to me.

The Durango is a true cross over type vehicle with attitude. I have bought several GM fullsize SUV's that my ex wife daily drove, and have owned several GM 1/2 and 3/4 ton GM trucks over the past 30+ years. The Durango is unique to me, it's really big inside but much smaller on the outside, has a really nice simple but decent quality interior, lots of leg room, rides like a car but sits higher and with the V8 has decent power. GM's Tahoe's and Suburban's are wider but they do not have more leg room and from my experience do not feel as buttoned down on the road as the Durango.

It is a Dodge, but it's a model that has been around for a long time and has good Mercedes bones, same as the Challenger / Charger.

Cray Paper

Reaction score
If you can swing it, I would go for the SRT 392 model. GM and Ford anything that compares to it for day to day hotrod family hauler duties.

I like the RT Durango but miss the Scat Pack Challenger I traded in.
IMG_6435.JPG

The 392 Hemi is a fantastic engine. I'm a huge LS fan, but the late model HEMI's are really good also.

Last edited:

Cray Paper

Reaction score
Checking in a couple months on with the Durango. The U Connect is simple to use and a cut above the system in my wife's Toyota and light years better the the POS system in my 2019 Ford 150 work truck. Seriously, WTF Ford, the back up camera only works half the time and the multi media screen locks up about every other day.

My wife has been daily driving it for the past couple of months and has grown to love it. Plenty of power for her, V8 exhaust sounds great, sporty handling and has a GTF out of my way attitude. Full time AWD, higher ride height, great driver assist apps etc have my wife preferring to drive the Durango over her little hot hatch Toyota IM.

So far, the only compliant I have is getting out of the vehicle is kinda difficult. It feels like it is sitting higher than it is and the front door opening is small. My left foot rubs the door sill and B pillar. Other than that no complaints.
It stands out in the 3 row SUV crowd, has decent V8 power, sounds amazing, has plenty of interior room, the NAV unit and apps are far better than any other US MFG and feels like a higher quality vehicle than we paid for.

My only gripe is that I wish it was an SRT Durango with the 392.

Last edited:

Cray Paper

Reaction score
My wife is from Northern CA and her daily driver is a Toyota IM something or another. I traded in my Scat Pack Wide Body Challenger so that my wife had a safer vehicle to drive during inclement weather in the PNW. I have a F150 Eco Boost crew cab 4x4 work truck so I am invincible in all weather conditions! Lol, I'm a chevy guy, the Ford does OK...but not as OK as a HD 4x4 Duramax CC...That truck was like a studded snowmobile on snow or ice.

As of today we have 8" of compacted snow and ice in our neighborhood. We took the Durango out and tested it with traction control off and on, all nannies off etc. It performed much better than I thought it would. I don't like all the traction control BS, but my wife felt much more confident driving in the adverse conditions with all the nannies on. I have read that the Durango RT has the same transfer case and axles that a Cherokee has? It felt like it driving it in 6"+ of snow and ice.
I am concerned about the little winglets under the front air dam, but they are still intact with 7" of powder snow.

Cray Paper

Reaction score
The widebody Challengers do not have a spare tire...had a bad experience with a flat at 1850 miles and Les Schwab wouldn't repair the tire. I paid 350.00 for a tire that didn't match the others just to get it out of their shop . I bought 2 each new stock replacement Pirelli 305/35/20 tires a couple of months ago from Tire Rack.com and paid about 650.00 for them. They are taking up room in my garage and I would like to get sell them . I would like to get 450.00 OBO, what's the best way to advertise them?

Cray Paper

Reaction score
Posting for posterity:) Still have the Durango and still really like it. Took it on a short road trip last Friday to see my youngest kid play football 250+ miles away. I filled up when I got home, the DIC said it got 24.?? MPG, hand calculated it got 22.9MPG. Not bad as I got frustrated lots of times in stop and go on a highway and hammered down at 85+ MPH. Couple of years later this thing still feels special when I drive it. I do not regret buying it.

grumpy88

Reaction score
Posting for posterity:) Still have the Durango and still really like it. Took it on a short road trip last Friday to see my youngest kid play football 250+ miles away. I filled up when I got home, the DIC said it got 24.?? MPG, hand calculated it got 22.9MPG. Not bad as I got frustrated lots of times in stop and go on a highway and hammered down at 85+ MPH. Couple of years later this thing still feels special when I drive it. I do not regret buying it.
I still like ours too . The seats are not the most comfortable but 60k miles the old girl keeps on trucking !

Flatsix66

Reaction score
We liked our 2017 so much that we ordered a 2022 5.7 Durango RT with the Tow and Go package back in January, picked up in March. This package is fantastic, it comes with all the SRT tires/wheels/brakes/suspension and exhaust for only a $4k adder. Ordered it from Mark Dodge and got $9k under MSRP.

DarkJuJu

Reaction score
I have a 109k on a 2014 RT, leather has held up well, we have the captain's chairs in the rear and its a bit tight with me 6'2 driving and my 6' son behind me. other than the capless fuel system it has been a pretty good unit, not a fan of the 8 speed transmission but i think they finally dialed it in later years.

Cray Paper

Reaction score
I really like the transmission, super intuitive, solid shifts when needed and paddled shifted feels just like the slushbox in the scat pack challenger I had prior, super solid and fast! Using the paddle shifters is as close as you can get to a dual clutch or stick shift.

Cray Paper

Reaction score
Update, the Durango now has 17K on it and seems to have developed a slight oil leak off the front of the engine as of last weekend. I'm a hands on vehicle owner and know my way around but have always had the dealer do the oil changes on this for warranty reasons.. I bought a Mopar oil change package for 4 oil changes for less than 150 bucks a couple of years ago and still have one left.

Started the search for common oil leaks on these things and the oil filter adapter seems to be a problem. Any modern Mopar guys aware of issues with oil filter adapter or cooler line leaks on 5.7's?

I bought in December of 2020, does the powertrain warranty cover engine oil leaks?

It's been a really good vehicle and still feels special when I drive it (with every option Dodge had at the time), albeit I wish it was an SRT 392 or Hellcat version. I have no intention of keeping a newer vehicle with issues and just started thinking about what I would buy to replace this thing and am at a loss for a vehicle that does what this thing does other than a 392 Durango / Cherokee.

JDub24

American Bad-Ass!!
Reaction score
Former 2012 Durango owner here. Never had any leaks but the filter location (unless cleaned durning every oil change) would leave oil behind (run down the front of the motor and end up around the “window” in the front skid plate. Unless the dealer did a surgical oil change I would degrease the whole front of the motor and skid plate and then check for leaks. Most likely left over oil from them pulling the filter and letting it run down.

Update, the Durango now has 17K on it and seems to have developed a slight oil leak off the front of the engine as of last weekend. I'm a hands on vehicle owner and know my way around but have always had the dealer do the oil changes on this for warranty reasons.. I bought a Mopar oil change package for 4 oil changes for less than 150 bucks a couple of years ago and still have one left.

Started the search for common oil leaks on these things and the oil filter adapter seems to be a problem. Any modern Mopar guys aware of issues with oil filter adapter or cooler line leaks on 5.7's?

I bought in December of 2020, does the powertrain warranty cover engine oil leaks?

It's been a really good vehicle and still feels special when I drive it (with every option Dodge had at the time), albeit I wish it was an SRT 392 or Hellcat version. I have no intention of keeping a newer vehicle with issues and just started thinking about what I would buy to replace this thing and am at a loss for a vehicle that does what this thing does other than a 392 Durango / Cherokee.

Cray Paper

Reaction score
What is throwing me off is that the leak started about a month ago and we have only driven maybe 50 miles over that time frame. The last time the oil was changed was around 1 year ago / 4K miles ago. This vehicle sits in a garage every night that is under half the house so it has never been exposed to sever weather and never has gone more the 5K on a oil change by a "mopar" tech.

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
I had an oil leak issue last year in my Acadia, seemed to be coming from the oil filter area at about 3000 miles from the last oil change. Turned out it was the oil filter gasket had gone bad. I don't know if I didn't get the surface clean at the last oil change or what, but when I changed the filter at the oil change, the leak stopped. I could see an kerf in the gasket.