WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Looking at getting a used RV

jasonwtc

Reaction score
wife and i just decided to buy a rv and our budget is $30k so im interested in this thread. not going for a diesel pusher though.

a buddies parents have a older beaver its a nice motorhome. only has one bed in it though.

SoCalDave

Reaction score
wife and i just decided to buy a rv and our budget is $30k so im interested in this thread. not going for a diesel pusher though.

a buddies parents have a older beaver its a nice motorhome. only has one bed in it though.

Yeah, just me and the wife most of the time. Occasionally my take the two grandkids but they are small and can sleep anywhere.
Going to look at the Beaver tomorrow.

rush1

Reaction score
Hands down the Beaver over the Safari , the Safari uses velvet ride BF Goodrich suspension not air and it will beat you up pretty bad, Gillig built a great chassis they built buses for years and knew what they were doing that Cat 3126 is a pretty good engine too.That Beaver has all the right pieces Honestly it doesnt get much better than that .

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score
There's only 1 guy on these forums to ask , and it's : 2FF aka Steve . I think there's a direct line to him somewhere ...

TCHB

Reaction score
My father in law in Havau will be seling his 1999 Bounder 30ft gas coach. It has around 20K miles on it and has been in storage about half its life. It has the typical V10 gas engine. He is going to ask around $18K.

Done-it-again

Reaction score

Attachments

• Mohome.JPG
    Mohome.JPG
    150 KB · Views: 24

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
I've got to think maintenance and potential repair costs on a 20 year old diesel pusher could get crazy, if it wasn't maintained properly.

fmo24

Reaction score
Depending on where you are going to use it, have seen many parks have age limits on coaches that they allow in

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score
I've got to think maintenance and potential repair costs on a 20 year old diesel pusher could get crazy, if it wasn't maintained properly.

It's not just a question of no maintenance , it's just that motorhomes sit a lot and age . The rubber hoses etc just rot away .

River Runnin

Reaction score
The Marquis was Beavers Flagship. All the ones we looked at were 1/2 Mil plus! (20XX years) Safari was the more inexpensive and plain coaches of the (owned by Beaver) line.... And like said before! Beaver over Safari! ;)

We went with a Holiday Rambler!

TheDblZ_zps13ccea72.jpg

It's a 2000 and we're the original owners! :D

Have fun RV'n! :thumbsup

rush1

Reaction score
Total maintenance cost to replace all of the belts and hoses generator service full trans service and oil change (having it done would only be a couple of grand)
A regular oil change for genny and engine ,chassis, usually run around 500 bucks . There really not that bad, they run same as a semi tractor

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
I'd go for the beaver...looks like a lotta coach for the price...

what I did was reserve 10k for repairs if needed...

rush1

Reaction score
The Marquis was Beavers Flagship. All the ones we looked at were 1/2 Mil plus! (20XX years) Safari was the more inexpensive and plain coaches of the (owned by Beaver) line.... And like said before! Beaver over Safari! ;)

We went with a Holiday Rambler!

TheDblZ_zps13ccea72.jpg

It's a 2000 and we're the original owners! :D

Have fun RV'n! :thumbsup

Nice Imperial (that picture was taken in Yuma ) The imperial was always HR's little darling coach much the same way the Dynasty was for Monaco
to tell you the truth theirs mechanically no deference between your HR and a Dynasty .

Sandlord

Reaction score
wow, what are they putting in the drinking water these days.
Wife just told me to go find us an RV, Looking for a newer Diesel for around 100K.
Maybe steve will chime in on this?

River Runnin

Reaction score
Nice Imperial (that picture was taken in Yuma ) The imperial was always HR's little darling coach much the same way the Dynasty was for Monaco
to tell you the truth theirs mechanically no deference between your HR and a Dynasty .

You know your chit man! :D

Monaco bought out HR back then for their slide patent or right to use It, or something like that!

....I wanted the Navigator with tag axle, 500 ponies and jake brake! ....But my little darling wanted the Imperial!

I probably coulda got my way! But At great expense Vs. the discount offered!.... A new interior (it was red(s)) and the exterior was black swirls with three different shades of pink! ...It did look like a rolling whore house!....But!...It was a Navigator!!

rush1

Reaction score
You know your chit man! :D

Monaco bought out HR back then for their slide patent or right to use It, or something like that!

....I wanted the Navigator with tag axle, 500 ponies and jake brake! ....But my little darling wanted the Imperial!

I probably coulda got my way! But At great expense Vs. the discount offered!.... A new interior (it was red(s)) and the exterior was black swirls with three different shades of pink! ...It did look like a rolling whore house!....But!...It was a Navigator!!

I own an Original HR Built Navigator bought it in 99 im the second owner its been bullet proof other than oil changes and one Injection pump(that will never happen again) Mine was one of 12 coaches made for the HR Anniversary show so Its got all kinds of extra bells and whistles , My wife and I are thinking of getting a newer coach after my two daughters get married ( I've got one wedding this November and one next May ) My only problem is I don't want to purchase a head ache

454Rocket

I thought RDSUX?
Reaction score
For some reason I'm set on diesel pushers and need some input on a couple I am going to look at this week.
What does the brain trust of RDP (2FF:D) say about the following?
BTY my budget is about 30k.

http://www.rvtrader.com/listing/1995-Beaver-Marquis-118926725

http://www.rvtrader.com/listing/1994-Safari-SERENGETI-119373107

You're doing it right IMO. I bought a 1994 Foretravel U240. It has the torsion suspension like the Safari but I was willing to go there to avoid issues with older air ride systems. It also has the Cat 3116 and Allison trans with retarder. They don't skimp on the equipment on these premium coaches so almost everything is rebuildable. You'll have issues finding repair parts with various accessories, however. You might have to find the "right guy" for the job in some circumstances. My hydraulic pump had to go to a few shops before someone would work on it. It finally went to someone familiar with it. A lot of big shops will give up on you before any investigation.

A big deal to me was buying one with factory support after all these years. I can drive down to TX and have them overhaul this thing if needed. There's also great telephone support to this day.

I'm the 3rd owner and have all books, receipts, etc. Mine has 175k miles. After 2 years i've had to do the following and would assume the same for you:

Batteries
Rebuilt steering pump
Rebuilt hydraulic pump
Replaced electrical relays, etc.
Replaced a few hydraulic lines
Replaced 1 leveler ram (These are HARD to find) - I know a guy who's a dealer and has used parts
Replaced 1 leveler solenoid
Re-string a few blinds

That's all with the standard maintenance: hoses, belts, filters, etc.

I'm happy with my purchase considering I'm in an almost $1/4M coach in 1990's money for less than $30k

SoCalDave

Reaction score
Depending on where you are going to use it, have seen many parks have age limits on coaches that they allow in

First I've heard of that...Could weigh heavily on our decision making if correct.

SoCalDave

Reaction score
I'd go for the beaver...looks like a lotta coach for the price...

what I did was reserve 10k for repairs if needed...

Reserve 10K for repairs :yikes

oh never mind, this is Steve talking. :D

bagged97taco

Reaction score
First I've heard of that...Could weight heavily on our decision making if correct.

Just stayed at mission bay rv park and they have a 15 year old or newer policy. I can tell you that I saw some rigs that were definitely older than 15 years old tho

dread Pirate

Reaction score
First I've heard of that...Could weight heavily on our decision making if correct.

Every RV park up here has a 10 year limit. If I had to guess it was originally keep the school bus hippies out.

SoCalDave

Reaction score
Every RV park up here has a 10 year limit. If I had to guess it was originally keep the school bus hippies out.

I would assume if kept clean, presentable and maintained there wouldn't be a problem staying at most parks.

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
Reserve 10K for repairs :yikes

oh never mind, this is Steve talking. :D

I have a friend... oh wait... I don't have any friends:p

anyway... a guy I know went to pick up a motorhome in minasota....on the test drive the turbo let go.... cost the 13k to fix it...

when I bought the alpine... I used the 10k figure, same one I use for any coach out of warranty...6 new tires...3k 8 new batterys..1k door step controller..1k
rv inspection....included flush cooling and trans.1400... new head lights 600..lube and all filters..500...

although I spent way more....that was just needed stuff to be safe... the rest was hey- lam all new floors , cut and buff paint, grab handle and scare lights... all lighting changed to led... new back splash.. new interior d?cor...

trust me... add 10k to the price and if you don't have to spend it... you still have it:thumbsup

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
I would assume if kept clean, presentable and maintained there wouldn't be a problem staying at most parks.

You may want to check. Before the islander would let my buddy book a a spot he had to send pictures and let them know how old it was. He barley got past the 10 year rule. Now that he got in he doesn't have to send pics.