WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Looking at Jet boat for the first time. Jet Questions

SIK-06

Reaction score
I know very little about Jet boats. It has a 502 with a Legend Pump. I've always heard Berkeley was the way to go. Can anyone school me on this?

J 2

Reaction score
I know very little about Jet boats. It has a 502 with a Legend Pump. I've always heard Berkeley was the way to go. Can anyone school me on this?
I've always gone with Berkeley or American Turbine, most parts are interchangeable. Stay away from Jacuzzi pumps, don't really know much about Legend pumps specifically. Getting parts should be a thought, Berkeley most common and easy to find parts that won't break the bank. When I've bought my jets boats over the years I think about resale value down the road, Berkeley or AT is a much easier sell when the time comes.

farmo83

Reaction score
I grew up with a jet boat and owned one for a while. The jet itself was the most maintenance free item when it came boat I've ever owned. I kept it oiled up and never had a problem. Don't suck a bunch of sand through them and wear out the wear ring and it will give you years of trouble free service. The only thing i really didn't like about the jet was if you boat in an are with a lot of plants it will suck them up and get clogged. As far as the Legend itself hit up Jet Boat Performance on here. He helped me out with mine over the years. Also DO NOT RUN OVER A SKI ROPE!!!!!

jet496

Reaction score
I grew up with a jet boat and owned one for a while. The jet itself was the most maintenance free item when it came boat I've ever owned. I kept it oiled up and never had a problem. Don't suck a bunch of sand through them and wear out the wear ring and it will give you years of trouble free service. The only thing i really didn't like about the jet was if you boat in an are with a lot of plants it will suck them up and get clogged. As far as the Legend itself hit up Jet Boat Performance on here. He helped me out with mine over the years. Also DO NOT RUN OVER A SKI ROPE!!!!!
What he said. I had Jet Boat Performance rebuild my pump years ago & he knows everything about jets. Maybe PM him or even post in the Lounge in case he doesn't come here.

Jets are pretty much problem free. I've pumped plenty of sand punching it over sandbars in the lower river & just replaced a $100 wear ring myself (easy). Of course it's best not to but never let off the throttle if you find yourself over a sandbar. You'll sink in & pain in the ass to get off.

I do love jets after having many outings ruined by damaging a prop.

The 502 is a great motor but I've never dealt with a legend pump.

JUSTWANNARACE

I will not let them take me🤣🤣
Reaction score
I believe the Legend pumps are pretty similar to Berkley.

Berkley(some styles better then others), Amarican Turbine, Dominator all very similar pumps.

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
Jet boats are fun, make a lot of noise, are relatively safe around the kids and stupid easy when it comes to maintenance.

The drive runs into performance limitations quickly on the larger boats, but even my old Eliminator would do 55-60, which isn't crazy fast but it got the job done. It'd cruise high 30s or low 40s all day long, you just had to put gas in it.

If I were to own another boat with a car engine in it, it would be a jet.

Berkely style pumps are what most everyone runs, so parts are plentiful if you end up needing a wear ring or impeller.

Just my .02

SIK-06

Reaction score
Has a 70 gal belly tank. Is that a good thing? or?

Your ad here

Reaction score
70 gallons will get you some range. Just make sure the zerk fittings get greased as needed. Had a dominator pump on my boat and greased it every trip... very very light pressure on the grease gun until I felt resistance. Majority of the time it was 1/2 a pull.

ElAzul

Well-Known RDP Inmate #211
Reaction score
I think Legend is a spin off of Berkeley by some of their employees if I remember correctly from my jet vote days. Berk parts should fit it but don't hold me to that