WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Looking for a daily commuter and need some insight

SoCalDave

Reaction score
With gas prices the way of the future I'm thinking of getting an EV or hybrid for my daily driver and parking the Vee.
Looking at 2017-18 Volts and Prius but not sure if I can picture myself in the Prius.
Commute is about 40 miles round trip everyday.
Pros/Cons from those who have owned these or suggestions on other options are appreciated.

warpt71

Lower River Lover
Reaction score
Non hybrid owner, I bought an 09 Civic for $2500, it had 120.000 miles on it. I drive 60 miles one way to work and can set the cruise at 83 miles an hour. In the middle of summer, ac on high, that damn car averaged 29-31mpg. I couldnt swing a car payment which is why I bought used and outright. Just some food for thought.

twocents

RDP Staff Member
Staff member
Reaction score
My daughter bought a used Chevy Volt a few years ago because she had to make a 125 mile round trip five days a week for a while. She loved the vehicle and had no problems -- now she's back in a Lincoln Navigator and wishes she had the Volt back.

Reactions: DWC

steamin rice

No Bad Days....
Reaction score
I took a job with a 60 mile round trip commute back in 2013. At the time, certain hybrids qualified for an energy efficient license plate in AZ which allowed the driver to use the HOV lanes without additional passengers. Rather that using my 2500 diesel to commute, I bought a used 2008 Prius with the HOV plate on it to use as a beater commuter. The thing was a POS and had a lot of road noise, but was very reliable and maintenance was cheap. In late 2018, I got rear ended on the freeway in the Prius and it was totaled out. Instead of replacing with another Prius, I opted to go for something nicer and bought a CPO BMW 330e plug in hybrid.
The 330e is a great car and lots of fun to drive, and goes around 15 miles on all electric power. The BMW is a much nicer car with a lot more features than the Prius. There is also no Prius stigma with the car as it just looks like any other BMW 3 series sedan. I put about 25k miles on the 330e and it has been reliable, but maintenance is more expensive (BMW vs Toyota) and long term ownership costs are probably higher. I was able to transfer my HOV plate from the Prius to the BMW which was a huge thing at the time.

The Volt isn't bad and doesn't carry the Prius stigma, but may not have the same reliability as a Prius over the long term.

Covid hit and I was working from home most of the time in 2020, then I took a new job in 2021 where I work from home full time so I am selling the BMW if you have any interest. https://www.riverdavesplace.com/forums/threads/2017-bmw-330e-plug-in-hybrid-sedan.245071/

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
With gas prices the way of the future I'm thinking of getting an EV or hybrid for my daily driver and parking the Vee.
Looking at 2017-18 Volts and Prius but not sure if I can picture myself in the Prius.
Commute is about 40 miles round trip everyday.
Pros/Cons from those who have owned these or suggestions on other options are appreciated.
I've owned both.

Volt -
Drives sportier (on electric mode)
Looks better
If you can plug in at work, it's a no brainer
If your round trip is under 40 miles, it's a no brainer
Rear seat is useless for adults and kids over 3

Prius
Way more headroom and rear seat can fit adults comfortable (like a camry in the leg room departent)
50 MPG with no need to plug-in, just hop in and drive every day
If you drive alot, this is a better choice as it gets 50mpg everywhere you go. Volt is 35-40 miles of electric and then 35mpg Gas. Lots of driving, Prius is a better choice

I've had 3 prius and 1 volt. Both did the job. If I was driving alot i'd pick the prius. If I could charge at work and one-way commute was less than 50 miles - i'd pick the volt. If my round trip was under 50 miles - i'd pick the volt. If you need to use the back seat, or are tall and don't want to "stoop" to get in the car - I'd pick the prius.

Whatever route you buy, get a car originally sold in CA as CA cars have the batteries and hybrid system components covered for 10 years / 150k miles. Only for cars originally sold in CA, no matter if you were the original owner or not.

Or....sell everything and get yourself a god damn F-150......fuggin holy grail of 4 wheeled transportation

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
As a Prius owner, they're like scooters. Not too bad to drive, even fun, but embarrassing as all hell.
Biden won, I bought the POS (Prius of Shame) Mine's an 04, paid 2500 for it and it gets 40ish mpg with me driving like an idiot.

Want to take a Sawzall to it. Cut the body off and drop an 85ish, shortbed, standard cab Toyota on it....90's mini-truck style ;)

Music to my Ears

Conducting Beautiful Music
Reaction score
I drive a 2018 Volt as my commuter car. Bought it new and now has 47k miles. It's been completely trouble free, I've only done 1 oil change. As was mentioned earlier, it drives nice when in electrical mode, a bit slower when on fuel. I tend to get about 42 miles on a charge with mostly freeway driving. You'll do better if you are mixing in more miles on the street.

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
If you want something a little more normal and less prone to labels look into a use Fusion hybrid. low to mid 40 mph yet looks and acts like a normal comfortable mid size car. If you get in an accident you have a decent chance of survival as compared to some of the subs that only get a few mpg better. You used to be able to get a lower mileage three year old one for mid to upper teens. Not sure currently.

boatpi

Reaction score
Trying to find a used Prius plug-in, they are around I had the car I’ll probably run a quarter million miles in 50 to 70 miles per gallon. Plug in get another 10 mpg.

In Japan absolutely flawless didn’t do anything other than change oil

Last edited:

sixdays

La Flama Blanca
Reaction score
2018 Volt…50-55 miles on a charge. We absolutely love it and want another.

C-Ya

Int’l Maritime Captain
Reaction score
05BA2EFA-1846-4F88-B344-8EA1DB09FC30.jpeg

Here is a pic of my electric car. It is a fun beach cruiser, but it’s only for roads 35mph or under. Of course…. Mine has an after market electric motor that gets it up to 44mph… which is 19mph faster than I am legally supposed to go. But 25mph wouldn’t be any fun at all!

Looking Glass

1 = Well = Known = Member
Reaction score
2018 Volt…50-55 miles on a charge. We absolutely love it and want another.

I thought these Electric Vehicles were getting 300+ Miles per charge? 55 Miles is nothing to rely on?

TimeBandit

Reaction score
A Volt is a Hybrid with a large battery, like others have said it goes about 40 miles with a fully charged battery.

When the battery charge runs out the gas engine kicks in.

A Prius is a hybrid with a small battery, most models use the gas engine most of the time with battery assist when you floor it.

River Dirt 2

Brummett 21
Reaction score
I thought these Electric Vehicles were getting 300+ Miles per charge? 55 Miles is nothing to rely on?
Total range on the Volt is about 330 + miles (full charge and full tank of gas)

We have plenty of planet killers but the Volt is great around town and gets access to the carpool lane, we just bought out 18 out of the lease even though my wife no longer has to commute for work. She has been in the office twice in 2 years!

steamin rice

No Bad Days....
Reaction score
I forgot about the Ford Fusion Energi which is a plug in hybrid. It also must looks like any other sedan out there if you want something with more room. There is also the Cadillac ELR which is basically a nicer Volt. The challenge with the ELR is that it was a bit of a flop so they only made them for a few years and didnt sell many.

If I was looking for something relatively inexpensive to buy and maintain for the long term, I would probably look for a used Prius or Volt.

Jimmyv

Reaction score
Prius, Volt? Unless you’re in it to ‘save the planet’ you can find other economical cars with absurdly great gas milage without the concern for degrading charge batteries and other used hybrid issues.

I used to daily drive a Honda Fit.
Paid 3k for it, drove it for 2 years, added 35k miles and sold it for 3k. Sewing machine simple and 40-45 mpgs. Company paid milage and there was no reason to drive my pickup or diesel.

Only reason i sold it was I no longer drove for work and with the family, i didn’t want to be in an accident with my kids in that car.

4D2BC582-E513-400C-B1BA-C5474E1CA9B2.jpeg

Last edited:

rrrr

Reaction score
Non hybrid owner, I bought an 09 Civic for $2500, it had 120.000 miles on it. I drive 60 miles one way to work and can set the cruise at 83 miles an hour. In the middle of summer, ac on high, that damn car averaged 29-31mpg. I couldnt swing a car payment which is why I bought used and outright. Just some food for thought.
Sounds like my '99 Camry. It has almost 200K on the clock. I drive the piss outta it, usually running 80 or more on the 70 MPH speed limit Dallas freeways. The A/C has a stun setting, colder than Nancy Pelosi's heart.

I've owned it since 2007, and spent about $7K on all repairs, maintenance, and tires since then. That's around $500/year. It's dead nuts dependable, and even though I'm always gassing it, mileage is around 25 MPG.

I've been telling myself I need to buy a new car since 2010, but why bother?

😁

Last edited:

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Prius, Volt? Unless you’re in it to ‘save the planet’ you can find other economical cars with absurdly great gas milage without the concern for degrading charge batteries and other used hybrid issues.

I used to daily drive a Honda Fit.
Paid 3k for it, drove it for 2 years, added 35k miles and sold it for 3k. Sewing machine simple and 40-45 mpgs. Company paid milage and there was no reason to drive my pickup or diesel.

Only reason i sold it was I no longer drove for work and with the family, i didn’t want to be in an accident with my kids in that car.

View attachment 1071268

This is the best and most cost effective strategy.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
As a Prius owner, they're like scooters. Not too bad to drive, even fun, but embarrassing as all hell.
Biden won, I bought the POS (Prius of Shame) Mine's an 04, paid 2500 for it and it gets 40ish mpg with me driving like an idiot.

Want to take a Sawzall to it. Cut the body off and drop an 85ish, shortbed, standard cab Toyota on it....90's mini-truck style ;)
I've owned 2, both in that year range. Both were bought for right at a grand off craigslist. One was broadsided. 2 doors junkyard doors, some spray paint & spray foam, fender washers and longer bolts I drove that thing 45k miles before the battery shit out. Had less than 1500$ in it. Second was rear ended. Amazon bumper on that one and a replacement support from the junkyard. Drove that one over 90k miles before the water pump belt broke, no lights came on and it destroyed that engine. Paid $750, plus $190 in parts. Sold it blown up for $500. I drove the piss out of both of them...including texas to havasu and back many times.

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
I ordered a 2.5L Gas Toyota Camry for my DD back in September. (Should be receiving it before Christmas) I drive 70 miles round trip for work each day. This vehicle is rated at 39 MPG Highway. The Hybrid version was about $4,000 more and it only gets a few more MPG than the gasser does on the highway. (I rarely do any city miles) I figured it was going to take 100,000 miles just to break even so I went with the FJB Version 🤣

I would have gone down the Tesla Wormhole but using it to go to Havasu would be a major hassle having to stop in Barstow for an hour each way to recharge. Hopefully by the time I’ve worn out the Camry I’ll either be retired or electric vehicle ranges will have increased enough to make them useable for my driving needs.

FYI - I would have gone with a used vehicle but used car prices are almost the same as new car prices. It’s a crazy market out there!!

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I ordered a 2.5L Gas Toyota Camry for my DD back in September. (Should be receiving it before Christmas) I drive 70 miles round trip for work each day. This vehicle is rated at 39 MPG Highway. The Hybrid version was about $4,000 more and it only gets a few more MPG than the gasser does on the highway. (I rarely do any city miles) I figured it was going to take 100,000 miles just to break even so I went with the FJB Version 🤣

I would have gone down the Tesla Wormhole but using it to go to Havasu would be a major hassle having to stop in Barstow for an hour each way to recharge. Hopefully by the time I’ve worn out the Camry I’ll either be retired or electric vehicle ranges will have increased enough to make them useable for my driving needs.

FYI - I would have gone with a used vehicle but used car prices are almost the same as new car prices. It’s a crazy market out there!!
What was the difference in price between the Camry and the Tesla you spec'ed out?

Looking Glass

1 = Well = Known = Member
Reaction score
Volt gets 55 miles on a charge and then as many miles as you want on gas.

I understand that, but I thought there are Electric, Hybrid Or? that does get 300-400 per charge? I am Not in the market, just reading articles on them.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I understand that, but I thought there are Electric, Hybrid Or? that does get 300-400 per charge? I am Not in the market, just reading articles on them.

Plug in Hybrid is the official class. Small all electric capacity with backup gas engine.

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
What was the difference in price between the Camry and the Tesla you spec'ed out?
Had to beg a friend to talk to their manager at the Toyota dealership just to get the Camry XSE at MSRP $32K. (Dealers are marking them up $5K-$10K over MSRP these days).

Looked at the Tesla Model 3 Long Range which came in at approx $53K sales price. The extra $21K in costs will take around 13 years to break even at my current driving habits. Add in 1 or 2 sets of batteries over that time on top and it just didn’t make sense to me regardless of the range deficiencies!

Even with the Brandon fuel prices today you still can’t beat a well designed Dino Powered 🦖 Japanese Sedan for cost economy per mile.

4czn10

Reaction score
If you plan on keeping the vehicle more than 10 years, you cant' go wrong with any Prius or Camry hybrid. i have owned 2 2007 Prius' for over 10 years, one has 320k miles, replaced the batteries at 265k ($1000), and sold the other with 260k for almost what i paid for. I literally change the oil, tires, etc...and hit the road and still get 50 mpg. Stigma, yes, but i laugh all the way to the bank with my savings! i drive 80 miles roundtrip daily, and when i retire next year, I'm going to park the Prius, use it for Uber side business, and go out and buy myself a Tahoe , to do some comfortable sightseeing across the country with all the $$ i saved.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
We’ve owned more green cars than I ever thought I would, including a Prius and Volt.

The Volt feels and drives like it’s a class-above the Prius. Definitely more premium, and someplace I’d rather spend more time if I had a choice.

I don’t know how Volts are as far as long term reliability…but that’s not something one has to worry about with Toyota products.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Had to beg a friend to talk to their manager at the Toyota dealership just to get the Camry XSE at MSRP $32K. (Dealers are marking them up $5K-$10K over MSRP these days).

Looked at the Tesla Model 3 Long Range which came in at approx $53K sales price. The extra $21K in costs will take around 13 years to break even at my current driving habits. Add in 1 or 2 sets of batteries over that time on top and it just didn’t make sense to me regardless of the range deficiencies!

Even with the Brandon fuel prices today you still can’t beat a well designed Dino Powered 🦖 Japanese Sedan for cost economy per mile.

X1000

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
If you want something a little more normal and less prone to labels look into a use Fusion hybrid. low to mid 40 mph yet looks and acts like a normal comfortable mid size car. If you get in an accident you have a decent chance of survival as compared to some of the subs that only get a few mpg better. You used to be able to get a lower mileage three year old one for mid to upper teens. Not sure currently.

I bought a Fusion, brand new in 2017. Have 60K miles on the clock and car has been trouble free. Love the car and will never sell it. Plan on giving it to my daughter once she gets off her butt and starts driving school so she can get her license next year. Have always felt safe in it!

elco

Reaction score
I bought a 2018 volt for my daily driver and love it. I only charge on 110 over night and rarely have to get gas. I think i fill up with 6 gallons once every two months or so. Have almost 40k miles and its almost maintenance free. Owners manual says to change the oil every two years or when the computer tells you to and thats about it. Great car so far.

FreeBird236

Reaction score

My wife has a 20 XLE, even driving hard 37-39 on a trip, if I slow down to 70 can easily get 40+. This is the 5th one I believe along with a few Accords, they never break down.

DWC

Reaction score
Yeah in comparison to this with Premium...time for this one to take a rest in the garage.

View attachment 1074417
Yeah, i don’t miss the V fill-ups😬. Small tank and crappy mileage is a tough combo. Mine was bone stock.. I’m sure you don’t pass many stations.
I keep putting off buying a commuter. I’m looking for a used accord/Camry now. Gotta get something soon.

Blackmagic94

Reaction score

My Alfa Romeo Giulia gets 38.5 mpg on the freeway and 31 in the city. It hauls ass and doesn’t look like I live in my moms basement lol

Happy Smitty

Reaction score
Seems to me that purchasing a 2nd commuter vehicle cost more overall. Cost of the vehicle, registration, insurance, maintenance.... I just pay the higher gas price and drive my f150 daily. No maintenance on an f150 by the way. Just oil changes.

SoCalDave

Reaction score
Seems to me that purchasing a 2nd commuter vehicle cost more overall. Cost of the vehicle, registration, insurance, maintenance.... I just pay the higher gas price and drive my f150 daily. No maintenance on an f150 by the way. Just oil changes.
First one was not considered a commuter under Trump at 11mpg and premium pricing.
I'm at 40 miles round trip 5 days a week and have free charging at work so that sure as hell beats that $350-400 month gas bill I'm at now.

SoCalDave

Reaction score
Well first impressions aren't that bad compared to my Vee. Picked it up today from the dealer and hard to get used to no motor sounds while driving. It has 38k miles on it and the average gas milage has been 139mpg so I can dig this for a daily commuter...
Opted for the bumper to bumper warranty of $1,230 for 4 years or 48k miles. Plan on giving it to my granddaughter (if she wants it) when she gets her license in 2-3 years.

CarolynandBob

Reaction score
Well first impressions aren't that bad compared to my Vee. Picked it up today from the dealer and hard to get used to no motor sounds while driving. It has 38k miles on it and the average gas milage has been 139mpg so I can dig this for a daily commuter...
Opted for the bumper to bumper warranty of $1,230 for 4 years or 48k miles. Plan on giving it to my granddaughter (if she wants it) when she gets her license in 2-3 years.
So 21k plus $1230.00 plus registration and insurance? $22,230 for 3 years use is $617.50 a month plus insurance and registration. You could sell in 3 years and get what ever it is worth and that would bring down overall cost, but I would just pay the 350- 400 a month in gas and enjoy the Vee, unless you sell the Vee to pay for this.

lbhsbz

Reaction score
FIgure out how much the insurance / registration / purchase price for another car will cost you, then divide that by $2 (increase in fuel prices) and multiply by your current MPG....that's how many miles it will take you for the new purchase to be worthwhile. Every time I pencil it out, I'm better off keeping my old truck that gets 11-12mpg.