WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Looking for advice.. pellet grill prime rib

JUSTWANNARACE

I will not let them take me🤣🤣
Reaction score
Does anyone have a kickass prime rib recipe for a pellet grill?

My in laws are coming up this weekend and my father-in-law favorite is prime rib. He cooks one in the oven every time we come down. (He's not real good at it, always blan and way over done)

He text me tonight and asked if I'd cook a 10lb prime rib on the smoker Saturday.

I have cooked alot of shit on my pellet grill but never a prime rib. Any help would be appreciated!

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
May wanna look on the Traeger website under recipes . . . I've had pretty good luck with things I've never cooked before.

JUSTWANNARACE

Reaction score
May wanna look on the Traeger website under recipes . . . I've had pretty good luck with things I've never cooked before.

Thanks.. That's usually what I do but was thinking maybe someone on here had a "go to" and have done it quite a bit.

DWC

Reaction score
I’ve tried a couple on the Traeger sight. This one slow cooks it and then torches it at the end. The fresh herbs give it a little flavor.
First I’d start with a good piece of meat. I can’t figure out how to season a tough cut enough to make it taste good.
Season it ahead of time to get the flavor all the way through.
Don’t use mesquite on long, slow cooks. It’s overwhelming to most. At least my guests.
If your father in-law makes shoe leather out of his then give him the end cut option. My brother does the same. It’s taken years of Xmas prime rib to get him to try medium cuts. Some people like dry ass meat.

62D74535-39EE-4956-BB00-334189F3526C.jpeg

JUSTWANNARACE

Reaction score
I’ve tried a couple on the Traeger sight. This one slow cooks it and then torches it at the end. The fresh herbs give it a little flavor.
First I’d start with a good piece of meat. I can’t figure out how to season a tough cut enough to make it taste good.
Season it ahead of time to get the flavor all the way through.
Don’t use mesquite on long, slow cooks. It’s overwhelming to most. At least my guests.
If your father in-law makes shoe leather out of his then give him the end cut option. My brother does the same. It’s taken years of Xmas prime rib to get him to try medium cuts. Some people like dry ass meat.

View attachment 966938

Thanks.. and he actually likes his medium-rare but it just never comes out that way🤣

Universal Elements

Reaction score

DLC

Reaction score
I used the Costco gourmet blend on mine, but my go to is usually pecan, we try to under cook it a tad and then the next day its even BETTER than fresh off the grill.
incredible flavor for sammiches !

wife made some hassel back potatoes to go with any they were D-LISH also

DWC

Reaction score
Thanks.. and he actually likes his medium-rare but it just never comes out that way🤣
Funny, Steaks are pretty much all feel. Press and flop around to see if they’re done. Big, slow cuts it’s tough to trust the thermometer. (Also tough to remember to check said thermometer after a few pops. A few each hour).
It’s also key to get it close to room temp before putting it on. Cold ass prime rib on a slow cook doesn’t seem to work out as well.
Love the Philly cheesesteak the next day..

Spot

Reaction score
I cook a ton on my pellet grill but I do my prime ribs in the oven. Much more consistent heat and easier to monitor. With that said, good luck, post pics.

FishSniper

Reaction score
Does anyone have a kickass prime rib recipe for a pellet grill?

My in laws are coming up this weekend and my father-in-law favorite is prime rib. He cooks one in the oven every time we come down. (He's not real good at it, always blan and way over done)

He text me tonight and asked if I'd cook a 10lb prime rib on the smoker Saturday.

I have cooked alot of shit on my pellet grill but never a prime rib. Any help would be appreciated!
Can’t help on the cook portion on the pellet grill as I have a pit barrel that I use but I make a paste with olive oil, a blend of seasonings and minced garlic that forms a really good crust. It’s usually about a half cup olive oil, third cup of seasoning I usually go about half and half with Montreal seasoning and a spicier seasoning and then 1-2 tbsp of minced garlic. Mix it all up to get a paste and spread it over the roast just before starting the cook.
C9883F9F-594F-4709-AFE9-A389247DC137.jpeg

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Season the hell out of it, let it set out of the fridge for a couple hours to come up to a reasonable room themp, set the grill to 300-325, put a probe thermometer in the thickest part of the meat, pull it at 130 degrees, wrap in foil and let rest for 10-15 minutes.

Done.

Thermometer is key here.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Season the hell out of it, let it set out of the fridge for a couple hours to come up to a reasonable room themp, set the grill to 300-325, put a probe thermometer in the thickest part of the meat, pull it at 130 degrees, wrap in foil and let rest for 10-15 minutes.

Done.

Thermometer is key here.

That's pretty much it, although I pull mine at 120-125.
Last 3 bone one I did at Tgiving came out medium at 130.

PlumLoco

Vintage Jawa CZ motorcycles
Reaction score
Starting with a superior piece of meat is key. Be sure you are starting with something graded Prime. I've seen many folks here praise Costco, if you shop there already. Second is season it heavily. Lawrey's makes one I like that is simply black pepper, garlic, onion, and italian seasoning. It makes a great place to start with maybe a little freelance BBQ spices added on top. I like to let it sit uncovered in the fridge for at least a day to pull out the excess moisture. If your crowd likes garlic, a few clove pieces shoved into small knife slits is a nice touch. Be sure you season between the bones and the meat and wrap it all back up. Throw it in the smoker for a couple hours with a mild cherry, pecan, or apple wood for smoke.
After about 2 hours pull it out and finish it in the oven. I like to put the roast in a rib rack that keeps it up off of the roasting pan for better air circulation. I also put down a whole box of salt in the bottom of the pan. It soaks up all of the drippings for easy cleanup, but no au jus, and it opens up the pores in the meat for max tenderness. I don't know if it is true, but that is what a chef at steak house I worked at in high school told me. Put at least one thermometer in the thickest part and put it in the oven to finish. Your target is 120ish when you can pull it and let it finish on the counter for 15 minutes.
If you watch your thermometers carefully, you can reverse sear it and finish it off in a 500 degree oven for a short time. We have a double oven so it makes it pretty easy. Good luck. It is pretty easy if you just watch your thermometers and use good meat to start.

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
Someone in here posted a recipe using Chinese mustard, lemon pepper, coarse grind pepper, and sprinkle with kosher salt. Cook at 200-225 degrees. Cook to 123-125 degrees and let sit covered with foil wrapped in towels or blankets for 45-60 minutes. I cut it thin, not into steaks like normal prime rib cuts - it makes a complete difference and you can use the leftovers for beef dips. Serve with creamed horseradish and a jus.

TX Foilhead

Reaction score
Salt it the day before to give the salt time to soak in in the refrigerator. It tenderizes the meat and you won’t taste it. put whatever else you want to taste on the outside before it’s ready to go in the smoker. I did this one for Christmas Eve, 225 for 1 1/2 hrs, 175 for 1 1/2 hrs and pulled it @ 118. Wrapped it in a towel and put it in a cooler for 1hr to keep it warm while I drove it to where we were eating. Once I got there I fired up a gas grill and seared the out side on a metal plate for about 5 minutes. I had my Fireboard probes in it the whole time and it never went over 124. Don’t forget the temp will rise 5 or 6 degrees once you pull it so don’t cook it all the way to the temp you’re shooting for.

Attachments

• 2CB48969-3520-48CD-A20B-B52C555D40BA.jpeg
    2CB48969-3520-48CD-A20B-B52C555D40BA.jpeg
    219.6 KB · Views: 54

CoronaChris

Reaction score
I did the Traeger prime rib roast recipe for Christmas and it was off the hook. So so good for my first try. Never cooked a prime rib and was so nervous I was going to ruin our Christmas dinner. It’s the one with 35,000 likes. Thought to myself if so many people liked it, it must be good.

Don Johnson

Don Johnson
Reaction score
Lots of great recipes here.

I do a butter/garlic/rosemary/thyme rub that we like a lot

• ▢1 8-10 pound bone-in prime rib roast
  • ▢coarse salt and pepper
GARLIC HERB BUTTER
  • ▢16 oz softened butter
  • ▢8 cloves garlic (minced)
  • ▢2 sprigs rosemary (finely minced)
  • ▢2 sprigs thyme (finely minced)
  • ▢2 teaspoons salt
  • ▢2 teaspoons black pepper
  • Preheat your smoker to 225 degrees F for indirect cooking using a hardwood like oak or hickory for smoking.
  • While the grill is warming up, prepare your roast. Trim any excess fat from the top of the roast down to 1/4 inch thick. Season on all sides with an even sprinkling of salt and pepper.
  • In a small bowl combine the softened butter, garlic, herbs, salt, and pepper. Slather the entire roast with the butter mixture.
  • Place the roast on a flat rack elevated above a baking sheet, place on the smoker and close the lid. Smoke until the internal temperature of the roast reaches 120 degrees F for Rare or 128 degrees F for Medium. For a rare, bone-in roast, plan on 35 minutes per pound of prime rib.
  • Remove the roast to a cutting board and allow to rest for 20 minutes. Strain the butter and drippings from the baking sheet into a separate bowl and set aside.
  • While the roast is resting, increase the temperature of your grill to 400 degrees F.
  • Once the grill is up to temperature, return the roast to the grill and sear until you reach your desired internal temperature. Pull the roast off at 130 degrees F for rare, 135 for medium rare, 140 for medium. This process should go quickly, so keep an eye on your temperature.
  • Remove your roast to the cutting board and let the meat rest for at least 15 minutes before slicing and serving.

Motor Boater

Reaction score
I seasoned my last one with fresh ground pepper, kosher salt, garlic pepper. Then rubbed it with butter, mixed with rosemary, thyme and lot s of fresh minced garlic. I also used traegers prime rib rib which is good but not enough on its own. In the oven and pulled at 120 to let sit. I’ve also smoked one with my neighbor pretty much same recipe and it was great.
832D8212-A978-4F49-86E8-AAF07425261C.jpeg

Dettom

Reaction score
Well make sure you start with a bone-in prime rib. They taste so much better. I have cooked them in my pellet grill before, but honestly they taste just as good from the oven. Lots of good tips on YouTube and such. Their not rocket science, keep it simple. A probe thermometer is a absolute must.

Reactions: DWC

wallnutz

Reaction score
That's perfect, but most folks in my family would freak.
It’s a little more done than it looks, but not much. That’s 138* after resting for an hour. I pulled it off at 125* double wrapped in foil then put into empty cooler wrapped in towels.

spark2678

Reaction score
Jeff Phillips has some great smoking recipes for all kinds of meats

JUSTWANNARACE

Reaction score
Just used this for the rub been sitting for about 6hrs.
Gonna run it at 225 for 3.5 + - then I'll pull it off, crank the heat and sear it, wrap it up and let it set in a cooler for about 30min.

First time doing a prime rib so we'll see🤷🏻‍♂️

20210130_151307.jpg
20210130_150946.jpg

JUSTWANNARACE

Reaction score
How do you use your spare anchor? This one has been used on the pellet grill now for a few years..lol
20210130_161918.jpg

JUSTWANNARACE

Reaction score
Time to pull her off and crank up the grill to sear!
20210130_182336.jpg

Reactions: DWC

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
The only recommendation that I have is, whatever recipe you use cook it very rare then when you slice it you can finish it off on a hot grill to the liking of your guests.

liquid addiction

^ 78 DiMarco Flat
Reaction score
I have been working on dropping a few pounds, well quite a few, for a couple weeks now. So they all look frikin amazing!!! 👍

JUSTWANNARACE

Reaction score
Doing something from the ribs on the prime rib that I cooked the other day. On the pellet grill for 2hrs with orange juice, lime juice, some jalapeno juice.. took them off, separated the meat, threw it in the cast iron skillet with some sauteed onion and garlic.. heating some rolls up in the oven for some sliders 🤷🏻‍♂️
20210201_171701.jpg
20210201_195705.jpg
20210201_201647.jpg