WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Looking for Engine builder SB Chevy 400blk

Racing 78

Reaction score
Anyone know of an engine builder that can help put together a race motor small block Chevy? Want to get into racing again. Either someone in orange county or Ontario California. Would like to put it on a Dyno once everything is done.

Racing 78

Reaction score
Have you had motors built there? What does he specialize in?

wzuber

Reaction score
slandering other well known, respected engine builders such as Paul Pfaff, Lew Larson, etc. just to make himself sound good, fucked up valve train geometry, double charging on items, breaking oil pump castings, poor wrist pin fitment etc. etc. etc.
Sorry mobster, just my experience with that little worthless fucking piece of shit..mike johnson, owner of jms racing junk.

DNE MOTORSPORTS, DAVE EBBERT, COSTA MESA CA.
949/631-3781

George Streagle @ Clay Smith engineering, Buena Park
714/523-0530

Heath Hebert
Advance Racing Engines
562/842-7928
riverside Ca. (recently moved out there)
That's all I can think of at the moment, that ought to get you started.

obnoxious001

Engine building character
Reaction score
My understanding is that George Striegel will no longer assemble an engine. I may be wrong.

I would enjoy putting one together for you, but I live out in Parker, AZ now.

Racer56

Jukebox Hero
Reaction score
Anyone know of an engine builder that can help put together a race motor small block Chevy? Want to get into racing again. Either someone in orange county or Ontario California. Would like to put it on a Dyno once everything is done.

I highly recommend Vandyne Engineering.

They have been a hardcore racing engine builder since the 70's and do great work all in house.

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
Is too bad that Joe Sherman passed away. Joe Sherman Racing Engines built some bad ass SBC in the past.

Racing 78

Reaction score
slandering other well known, respected engine builders such as Paul Pfaff, Lew Larson, etc. just to make himself sound good, fucked up valve train geometry, double charging on items, breaking oil pump castings, poor wrist pin fitment etc. etc. etc.
Sorry mobster, just my experience with that little worthless fucking piece of shit..mike johnson, owner of jms racing junk.

DNE MOTORSPORTS, DAVE EBBERT, COSTA MESA CA.
949/631-3781

George Streagle @ Clay Smith engineering, Buena Park
714/523-0530

Heath Hebert
Advance Racing Engines
562/842-7928
riverside Ca. (recently moved out there)
That's all I can think of at the moment, that ought to get you started.
well I appreciate your honest feedback. But that sounds like most engine builders anyway. There always Bashing one another. Who has more money and who could they charge more lol.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

I actually worked there for a few years. Been friends with Mike too long to remember.

Watched him build too many engines to count. Him and his dad raced in the GN class for decades.

They did all of Hallett's engine work for years as well.

With his boating background, I'd have to say marine performance. But I've watched him build just about any type engine you can imagine.

Funny story...

Mike and his dad raced the GN Circuit when Mike was a kid. Eventually his dad retired. Danny Bell asked Mike to drive for him, one race, cause his regular driver was sick. Mike gave in, even though he hadn't raced in decades.

Mike won. Became Danny's regular driver, and won rookie of the year that year! LoL

obnoxious001

Reaction score
do you have your own shop out there?

Yes I do. Dedicated engine assembly room in my big climate controlled garage.

Usually can't get one turned around real quick due to waiting on machine work, and my balancing goes back to the same shop in Long Beach that I have used forever.

73mandella

Reaction score
Although we've not had a race engine built, Heath built my father-in-law's engine at 650 HP for his jet, rebuilt my engine for a flat bottom and added 45 HP after we lost a distributor gear, and built a small block Chevy for the truck my son is rebuilding. Needless to say, we have a lot of faith in Heath.

Racing 78

Reaction score
Yeah I’m not in a rush but I do need to find some heads for the block.

obnoxious001

Reaction score
Yeah I’m not in a rush but I do need to find some heads for the block.
Do you need to run a certain type head for a class? What type racing are you planning to do? I know it's not an SE boat with a 400 inch block.

Racing 78

Reaction score
Looking for a specific head?
Iron or aluminum?

Dan'l
I’m kinda not sure what I’d like to do. I would like to race the Parker Enduro again which would require cast heads but then would like aluminum heads and just make it a fun boat with it. It’s a 400 block thats a 409ci because if division specifications. Any suggestions anyone?

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
All depends on the class rules.
Aluminum if you can, (my $0.02)
Air flow is king.

Dan'l

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I’m kinda not sure what I’d like to do. I would like to race the Parker Enduro again which would require cast heads but then would like aluminum heads and just make it a fun boat with it. It’s a 400 block thats a 409ci because if division specifications. Any suggestions anyone?

You should contact Ross and figure out what class you would fit into first...

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
Aftermarket cast iron heads or factory cast heads? Big difference.
Vortec for out of the box factory heads, or something like 462 heads and have them ported.
World products for iron aftermarket

Dan'l

Ricks raft

Reaction score
I'm sure their are closer shops but Jim Grubbs motor sports in Valencia is good . Last time I used him though he was backed up a month or two.
He was recommended to me years ago by tech at edelbrock.

obnoxious001

Reaction score
Well I know division one you can’t run any aluminum heads. And if I run cast I’m OK.
If rules dictate a factory, GM head, the Vortec are supposed to be the best, better than any of the early stuff. Not quite sure how the GM Bowtie heads figure in there, we had a set of those on a dirt modified engine as well. I can see if he still has them sitting there in Buena Park.