WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Looking for first motorhome (possibly)

Boatymcboatface

Reaction score
Rented for the 1st couple years and said if it we are buying our own! we said we wouldn't buy unless we committed to using it once a MONTH! So far in the 1st 5yrs we've done that and some and couldn't be happier! kids and dog can't wait to see the motorhome pull up in front of the house. we do state beaches, county parks, desert, fancy RV parks, parking lots, and in front of families houses. I can't think of a downside to it.

we've had to replace tires once, microwave and a new A/C unit since owning and a few other little things. we bought a used 30ft class C with low miles and two slides it tows the boat and the buggy just fine but we are never in a rush. for state beaches I would never want to do the tailer deal and for the desert I just pull up anytime put the slides out and camp while I watch all the other guys in our group empty there toy haulers to make room to sleep.

Meaney77

Reaction score
I dont think you can look at these from a financial stand point, just like boats they cost you money they dont always make sense but they also make great memories and you cant put a price tag on that.

We use the shit out of ours, we do several long camping trips during the desert season enjoying the desert and our desert toys.
During the summer we spend a lot of time at the Islander and Park Moabi boating and camping- If we didnt have it, we would spend a big chunk of money in hotels and food 3 times a day for a family of 5 and more than likely wouldnt go as frequent. Also not sure about you guys with kids but my wife and I get pretty creeped out with our kids in hotels and being on the floors, etc... Having the MH as a home base to sleep and cook out of is pretty nice.

During the summer when we are not boating, we take it up to the beach and hang out for day trips. We spend a full day there making breakfast and leaving after dinner and the sunset. Kids can hang out and play all day or go in and chill out to watch a show for a few hours if they get burned out from being in the sun all day.

We have spent time in Mammoth during the summer enjoying the off roading and fishing.

We have done several trips to Shaver lake without a boat just hanging out and chilling.

We take it down to the Anaheim for the Supercross and Disneyland- We would spend a fortune in Hotels in Anaheim if we didnt have the MH.

We have done few road trips but looking to do more. Kids are finally at an age where traveling for long periods isnt as bad as it used to be. Also they are at a point where they can understand and appreciate more.

Not sure what my point is with all of it other than you cant always look at it from a financial standpoint. Life is too short, kids grow up to fast and there is alot of cool places to go and see and I want to see it with them.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I always tell everyone that asks me about mine, that for it to even remotely make sense financially, it has to cost me less than a hotel room. I.E, My combined costs each year all added up, I have to stay in it more than that same amount would cost me for a hotel room @100$ a night. Typically, that ends up being ~43+ nights a year (which we always do). And mine is WAY cheaper than what you are looking at, I have free storage, I don't pay anyone to work on it, mine is gas so maintenance is super cheap (pretty much none), etc.

I notice a lot of replies suggest to go smaller so you will use it more, and its absolutely true. We use ours all the time, the smaller the better (to an extent). We drive it to friends houses all the time so we can throw the kids in there when they get tired and we want to continue to party. Then, if we continue to party till we cant drive home...we have our own bed in the driveway. Its pretty dang convenient.

My friends have big driveways.. :D

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
dave

Do yourself a favor and buy something that you won't hate driving or pulling up somewhere. Something that is a breeze to drive anywhere in any conditions and you can put a million miles on it as that is what it was meant to do. They hold their resale value and are quality built. There isn't shit falling off or all loud inside. I haven't found anything to put behind mine yet that i can tell its back there.

View attachment 839628 View attachment 839629

At this point we are gonna rent a few to see what we like.. thonsstly I like the toters more than the motorhomes. Stacy likes the motorhomes.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Rented for the 1st couple years and said if it we are buying our own! we said we wouldn't buy unless we committed to using it once a MONTH! So far in the 1st 5yrs we've done that and some and couldn't be happier! kids and dog can't wait to see the motorhome pull up in front of the house. we do state beaches, county parks, desert, fancy RV parks, parking lots, and in front of families houses. I can't think of a downside to it.

we've had to replace tires once, microwave and a new A/C unit since owning and a few other little things. we bought a used 30ft class C with low miles and two slides it tows the boat and the buggy just fine but we are never in a rush. for state beaches I would never want to do the tailer deal and for the desert I just pull up anytime put the slides out and camp while I watch all the other guys in our group empty there toy haulers to make room to sleep.
I dont think you can look at these from a financial stand point, just like boats they cost you money they dont always make sense but they also make great memories and you cant put a price tag on that.

We use the shit out of ours, we do several long camping trips during the desert season enjoying the desert and our desert toys.
During the summer we spend a lot of time at the Islander and Park Moabi boating and camping- If we didnt have it, we would spend a big chunk of money in hotels and food 3 times a day for a family of 5 and more than likely wouldnt go as frequent. Also not sure about you guys with kids but my wife and I get pretty creeped out with our kids in hotels and being on the floors, etc... Having the MH as a home base to sleep and cook out of is pretty nice.

During the summer when we are not boating, we take it up to the beach and hang out for day trips. We spend a full day there making breakfast and leaving after dinner and the sunset. Kids can hang out and play all day or go in and chill out to watch a show for a few hours if they get burned out from being in the sun all day.

We have spent time in Mammoth during the summer enjoying the off roading and fishing.

We have done several trips to Shaver lake without a boat just hanging out and chilling.

We take it down to the Anaheim for the Supercross and Disneyland- We would spend a fortune in Hotels in Anaheim if we didnt have the MH.

We have done few road trips but looking to do more. Kids are finally at an age where traveling for long periods isnt as bad as it used to be. Also they are at a point where they can understand and appreciate more.

Not sure what my point is with all of it other than you cant always look at it from a financial standpoint. Life is too short, kids grow up to fast and there is alot of cool places to go and see and I want to see it with them.

That was kind of the logic that sent out down this journey.. Then we made a budget, than it doubled.... tripled.. and at one point it was upwards of five times. Lol.

For right now we really want to rent a couple and do some trips and see how much we think we’d actually use one and which one is right for us.

I really like the thought of owning one but good lord the nice ones cost mega bank.

Stacy told me tonight that she’d be ok with buying an older one, but I already know how that shit goes.. lol. Started from the bottom now we’re here comes to mind.

Rentals it is for us until we come out with some personal knowledge. On paper though renting sounds a lot better than owning. In my mind owning a tag axle sounds a lot better than renting. Lol.

FOUNTAIN333

Reaction score
Since Dave's post get all the action.lol....Can anyone give feedback how the Senecas drive mainly in the wind?

I have driven DP with tag axles and non and they react totally different and 40' fith wheels. But never a C class or a super C.....Nothing like fighting wind and it will wear our ass out.....

Pic for reference...

View attachment 839546
If i were you i wold get on some toter home groups on facebook and hear what people have to say. From what i have read on the smaller toters like the jayco's and those, most people that buy toters of this type say that the Renegades are far superior in terms of build quality. The other brands like Jayco, Newmar, and dynamax are all cheaper but for good reason. They dont hold their value like the better brands like Renegade, Showhauler, Haulmark, S&S and others. In terms of how a super c drives over a diesel pusher, also do some research there is a ton of people that say the super c's drive like big tuck and most diesel pushers are white knuckling during any type of fair windy days.

FOUNTAIN333

Reaction score
So that's a toyhauler for you SXS, plus you can easily tow, what is the term for those ? Very Nice !!
Yea Mine has a garage in it. I wanted a Garage for when i tow my boat places i can put my scooters or a display engine in the back and easily setup at poker runs. Its so versatile.
IMG_0617.jpg

Ricks raft

Reaction score
At this point we are gonna rent a few to see what we like.. thonsstly I like the toters more than the motorhomes. Stacy likes the motorhomes.

If you start doing longer trips the family being able to use the restroom, make a sandwich, get a beverage without stopping is a big advantage. Our friends toy haulers when loaded can't even get to the bathroom without climbing over quads and coolers. If we get to camp late we just park and go to bed. If it's a long trip and we leave after work and get tired we just pull over and go to bed.
The only real advantage to a trailer is having a vehicle to unhook and use but my friends have them available, except their moving to a motorhome soon.

Edit:
Sorry misread the totor part, but if the beds are in the garage some of this still applies.

c_land

Reaction score
Bunks are a BAD Idea! IMO They are almost always VERY close, if not almost in the Master bedroom. Unless you're comfortable banging around in the workshop with the kids on the otherside of a VERY thin door or less, Keep the kids up front. Your Coach should be like a mullet, business in the front, party in the back. When we're hanging out with people, it's outside if the kids are crashed, most like ours have a TV and entertainment setup outside and your seating space is only limited to the number of lawn chairs around.
If you're long hauling on trips, a pusher will ride better IMO. If you're on shorter trips, something like a dynamax or renegade would be better for you're wanting to tow

Another vote for the Dynamax, I have been looking at them non-stop since the Isata 5 has been out with the cummins and 4x4.

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/rvd/d/huntington-beach-2018-dynamax-isata-5/7050907592.html

Custom 20 wheels.jpg

front 2956520.jpg

2956520.jpg

BLOWN HOWARD

Reaction score

sirbob

Reaction score
@RiverDave Remind me to write up or tell you about the time we rented a 40ft pusher to tour the Rockies...

Robin Williams did a movie called RV or some thing like that - he should of talked to me first before he wrote that script. We did basically the same trip he did in the movie but with all the disasters we endured for 2 weeks, I could have made his movie way funnier - although for us, it wasn’t funny at the time...

I’m not a fan of renting anymore.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
@RiverDave Remind me to write up or tell you about the time we rented a 40ft pusher to tour the Rockies...

Robin Williams did a movie called RV or some thing like that - he should of talked to me first before he wrote that script. We did basically the same trip he did in the movie but with all the disasters we endured for 2 weeks, I could have made his movie way funnier - although for us, it wasn’t funny at the time...

I’m not a fan of renting anymore.

I bought my toy hauler a couple years ago, and honestly we haven't had any problems with it like people talk about? Even draining the tanks has been a breeze?

RD

pwerwagn

Inmate #4800
Reaction score
those look bad ass but like most class C the problem becomes getting tires that have enough weight rating for the load. Did they fix that problem with these?

Thats why I like the super c's, with 19.5 or 22.5's.

But, those ridge grapplers on the moho in the pic are rated for 3750 each as a dual. The isata 5's only have a rear GAWR of 13,500lbs, so there is margin there.

sirbob

Reaction score
I bought my toy hauler a couple years ago, and honestly we haven't had any problems with it like people talk about? Even draining the tanks has been a breeze?

RD

Oh... Dave, Dave, Dave... if only it were that simple.

I rented a few times. Then I had the mother of all rentals. It's not for me anymore.

:)

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Motorhomes

THE DREAM

Your’re driving down I-40, nestled in a barcalounger. "Honey, do you want something to drink?" Your wife asks from the kitchen, as she's chopping onions for your sizzling omelet. "Sure honey, thanks!" you say. Your wife walks up and hands you a frosty beverage, then offers up a back massage from the dinette seat behind you. You my friend, are living the dream! "Dad, I have to pee!" your 3 year old cries from the overhead bunk, where he and his sister are watching DirectTV - fed from an auto-seek satellite dish. "No problem honey, let me take you to the bathroom" your wife says. "Mom, i have to poop too!" your daughter chimes in. You bump the cruise control to 82 and enjoy that beverage while your wife wipes your kids asses. A quick check of the rear view reveals sunshine and rainbows, reflecting off the gleaming silhouette of your 30' stacker. The kids walk back up to the front and give you a hug as they plop down in front of the big screen. That omelet smells amazing! You turn around and catch a glimpse of your wifes thong as she bends over in heels to pull a tri tip out of the oven. You're gonna wreck that ass later in your slide out master bedroom, and you deserve it. Auto level jacks keep the rig from rocking while you slay the poon. You are king of the road.....

THE REALITY

BWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH..........the motor sounds every bit of 5000 rpm as you creep along at 40mph uphill in 2nd, yanking a 10k enclosed box trailer behind your 5k rated Moho. Silverware, cookie sheets and oven racks crash and clatter as you hit every pothole the slow lane has to offer. "Dont worry, you'll make it to the top, and who's racing anyway? " A semi trailer with flashers on looms in the distance, and your rate of closure is slow but steady. Will you crest the grade before you have to pass? God please dont let me get stuck behind this guy, cause I don't think getting back up to this speed is an option! Your kids scream "are we there yet dad?" No kids.....dont f*cking ask again, its gonna be a while! It's been hours since breakfast. "Honey, can you make me a sandwich?" You ask. "WHAAAAAAAAT?" She screams over the wind noise and monstrous V10 roar. "I SAID....CAN YOU MAKE ME A SANDWICH". She rolls her eyes and unbuckles her seat belt. After smacking her head on the overhead bunk she steps towards the back. WHAM! - She then flies back onto the center console as you slam the brakes for that Uhaul that just blew past and cut you off. Your wife sits back down. Fuck your sandwich. You wipe the spilled soda off that 70's looking CCTV rear view monitor. "Who built the cup holders in this wood center console anyways" you mumble. "Dad...i have to poop!" you son yells. You begrudgingly ask the wife to take them to the bathroom. She slams her phone down and makes her way toward the dinette, only to discover smashed cheetoes and juice everywhere. She grabs the kids and tries to hold on to the children and the countertop while precariously inching toward the bathroom. You had a straight section of road a minute ago, but what bad timing - Here comes a corner - "Hang on honey!" you yell. You turn around just in time to catch a glimpse of your toddlers face being jammed into the stove as your wifes loses balance and smashes her. She frantically grabs to stabilize herself and rips the curtain off the plastic ceiling track. The little roller hooks fly everywhere like skittles. You turn around and keep your mouth shut.

Having owned my diesel pusher for a few years now I can happily say we are the dream not the nightmare.. lol

It’s quiet inside and sandwiches get delivered while the kids are watching tv or in their bunk beds. Lol.

H20 Toie

Party on Garth
Reaction score
Having owned my diesel pusher for a few years now I can happily say we are the dream not the nightmare.. lol

It’s quiet inside and sandwiches get delivered while the kids are watching tv or in their bunk beds. Lol.
And when some drunk ass people invade your place you have a great place to send them