WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Looking for opinions : Chevy Trail boss or Tundra TRD pro?

450grip

Reaction score
I’ve had a ton of issues with my 2015 Duramax LTZ. Last trip to dealer for turbo replacement, I got an email from GM (in February)that they were going to buy it back. I didn’t threaten them, or initiate any lemon law proceedings. They shocked me with that offer
I’m getting close to getting the check and finally being done with that POS.
I’m not going to diesel route again. Too gun shy.
I like the Chevy trail boss and Tundra TRD pro. I had a 2014 Tundra, and I liked it except for the short bed on the crew max.
Anyone have a trail boss? Anyone had both?
opinions please.

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score
Both are excellent trucks , go extensively test drive each one and then decide .

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
My dad has an 08 tundra and loves it, 150k miles only had to replace the starter. However, the 2020 tundra is virtually the same as my dads 08 and they are now a bit behind the 8ball with newer technology.

aj923

Reaction score
Not too sure about the trail boss but the TRD Pro is a pretty sweet ride. Friend bought one a year or so ago and its been good to him. He didn't really know what he bought he just liked the way it looked. I started pointing out the factory Rigid lights and big shocks and stuff. I currently drive a Ram 2500 but if I was going with a 1/2 ton I would heavily look at the Tundra.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
We just picked up a 2020 trail boss lt 6.2 . So far we are really happy with it.

It rides much better than our previously leveled 2014 ltz and is very quiet with a ton of room.

I would have a hard time buying a Tundra that is built on a 2007 platform even though its been a good truck.

zhandfull

Reaction score
Back in 2005 I had to take a hit and pay Toyota to take my piece of crap Chrysler 300 on trade in for a new Toyota Sequoia. That Toyota never went back to the dealer in 14 years of ownership. Just oil, tires, brakes and gas was all that it ever needed. I'm sold on the Toyota brand, it's just hard to pony up the extra money to buy one.

AZmike

Eastsider
Reaction score
If you want my two cents: My biggest complaint about Toyota trucks are fuel economy. If there fuel economy was as good as Ford or even Chevy I'd buy it all day long. If your looking to keep the truck long term and rack up a ton miles I'd go with the Toyota for reliability and resale value.

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
2019-fordf-150-raptor-1565369882.jpg

DrHW

Reaction score
We have had great experiences with Toyota. I recently went to look at the Tundra and they are behind with the current technology.

HCP3

Reaction score
I haven't priced out trucks in awhile, but I have to believe a Tundra TRD Pro is in the Raptor range of pricing. Raptor is my choice.

Mikes56

Reaction score
For reliability and resale, Toyota. I drove the shit out of mine and nothing ever went wrong with it. It was my commuter vehicle from Santa Clarita to Malibu for 5 years. I put 3000 miles a month on it. It always started, ran great and held up well. Oil change once a month and tires are the only thing I did to it.

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
The tundra is outdated and gets horrible fuel economy, but they are damn near bulletproof and have excellent resale. I would avoid the PRO, and get a lower trim level and add my own suspension with Kings for the same price.

I looked at the trail boss chevies a month ago, they are super nice, but the trail boss package is pretty much a factory 2” lift. Again, i would end up adding my own suspension later. I was looking at trail king “customs” I think, the non loaded version. I absolutely could NOT find one with the 6.2, which is the only engine I would want buying new. I have no issues with the 5.3, and have one in our ‘19 tahoe, and it’s great, but if I’m going from a 2500 (Ram CTD in my case) I absolutely want the 6.2.

Last edited:

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
I really like the 6.2 , it's amazing. The Chevy has the Toyota in comfort, ride, power and toys (electronics).

Tundras are amazing but long in the tooth atm. Costwise IMO they are just as expensive as any other truck to repair when needed.

Like every other brand, they have Wed trucks too...the ones that get bought back etc.

If the new 2021 Raptor actually does come with the GT500 5.2 L it will be AMAZING BALLS....760 horsepower and 625 lb-ft of torque are attainable thanks to a massive 2.65-liter roots-types supercharger with an air-to-liquid intercooler.

Rumor link here..:https://www.autoevolution.com/news/...percharged-v8-rumors-going-strong-141131.html

HBCraig

Reaction score
I have had a chevy 1500 then 2 F150's

First chevy and Ford were both sold for an excellent amount and had roughly 140k miles. 2 sets of brakes and tires and 1 water pump.

FreeBird236

Reaction score
I bought an 07 Tundra new and it's been almost perfect. the mileage isn't all that bad, but you already know that, you had one. I'm pretty sure the 2021 Tundra may finally be different. They say don't buy the first year of a change, but I did with the 07 and no regrets. One last thing on the mileage, some of the newer trucks claim better mileage, just don't tow anything,;)

Racer56

Jukebox Hero
Reaction score
The Toyotas get horrible gas mileage and are not nearly as comfortable as the GM and Ford.

DuttonDave

Your RDP Connection For Buick, GMC & Cadillac
Reaction score
Trail Boss or AT4... Tundras used are sale proof, stay away like most dealers do.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Out of the box:
I would say TRD Pro, has 2.5” Fox shocks with rezzies. Ready to hit the dirt if that what you want to do, will ride very well also.
Mechanically the only con is the open rear diff.

If you’re on pavement all the time, get the Chevy. It’s a newer truck and will have more amenities, plus better mileage.
Mechanically those Rancho shocks are a con, but the factory lift is a plus. The G80 locker is meh but better than an open diff.

If you’re going to mod them then the sky is the limit and I’d prolly get the Chevy this case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

Dalton

Reaction score
Tundra is dated, but bulletproof. Crazy its been mechanically the same since 2007, 1st gen Tundra only ran from 99-06.

pronstar

Reaction score
Yes no one wants them on the pre-owned market

How does “highest retained value” in the segment (based on several studies, and has held strong over many years) equate to “no one wants them”?

450grip

Reaction score
Trail Boss or AT4... Tundras used are sale proof, stay away like most dealers do.
I’m not sure I understand what “sale proof” means, or what staying away like dealers means.
would you mind elaborating?

bilz

Newly Retired!😁
Reaction score
07 Tundra here. No regrets, who buys a truck for gas milage? I bought mine to tow. 100k on it,40k towing. When I am ready for another, I will most likely not even look at Ford or Chevy. Bad blood with those Mfgs. First stop Tundra.

KNOTONDUTY

Reaction score
I have mine for 3 years now. No problems towing whatsoever.
IMG_1428.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CobraDave

Reaction score
I hear the Tundra might come out with a turbocharged v6 and more gears. My 2010 Tundra was bulletproof for 130k and also regret selling it. I
Didn’t go back because they are dated. The electronics suck in them. Same layout pretty much. The motor was great but when you put a bigger tire on it seemed to hunt for gears much more. If you’re asking flat out trd pro vs trailboss though, figuring money is the same, I would go Tundra. Chevy is just cutting too many corners these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RCDave

Reaction score
Saw a trailboss today. Ugh. They are uglier than a mule

f12517

Reaction score
I have a 14 Sequoia and my dad has a 15 Tundra crewmax. Both have been solid. But the fuel economy sucks. We each get 13-15mpg depending on what we are doing.

I just rolled 107,000 today. Nothing but tires, brakes, oil changes and filters so far.

pronstar

Reaction score
Besides them all being Toyota products, it’s nteresting how the vehicles with the strongest resale value:
Tacoma
Tundra
4Runner
Land Cruiser
LX570
GX460
...are all incredibly reliable yet very dated.

That’s basically the Toyota way, constant improvement over a long life cycle.

westair

Reaction score
Toyota's customer service is the best I've ever experienced ..... and I like that they perfect their products

Last edited:

pronstar

Reaction score

Certified Pre-Owned.
I like these because the warranty can be better than new.

And you’re getting a gently used cehicle for 50 cents on the dollar compared to buying new [emoji106]

Last edited:

Checkmate21

Reaction score
My son had a 2007 Tundra with every option that toyota made. The truck was bulletproof. It was a 4wd 5.4 crew cab. Really nice truck. Only 2 downsides, It rode bad on washboard frwys and sucked gas like it was free. Replaced it with a 5.3 Trail Boss and loves it. About 5 miles per gallon better gas mileage and better ride and seats.

That being said, he wonders every day when it will start having problems. If you want the most up to date with the best ride and fuel economy get the Chevy. If you want something that you can just drive and forget about, get the Toyota. Toyota seems to have a better turning radius.

They are both nice trucks, the toyota is just a little dated.

adam909

Reaction score
My son had a 2007 Tundra with every option that toyota made. The truck was bulletproof. It was a 4wd 5.4 crew cab. Really nice truck. Only 2 downsides, It rode bad on washboard frwys and sucked gas like it was free. Replaced it with a 5.3 Trail Boss and loves it. About 5 miles per gallon better gas mileage and better ride and seats.

That being said, he wonders every day when it will start having problems. If you want the most up to date with the best ride and fuel economy get the Chevy. If you want something that you can just drive and forget about, get the Toyota. Toyota seems to have a better turning radius.

They are both nice trucks, the toyota is just a little dated.

The new rams make the new chevys out dated.. Alot of people frown on rams due to there past.. Rams have came along way in the comfort and features department.. Worth taking a look at if you havent been in one..

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
The new rams make the new chevys out dated.. Alot of people frown on rams due to there past.. Rams have came along way in the comfort and features department.. Worth taking a look at if you havent been in one..
The interiors in the new GM trucks hideous for the price they are asking for them now. At least put the Tahoe/Suburban interiors in the higher end packages. The new GM styling - they took a left turn when they should have taken a right.

HBCraig

Reaction score
I drove a new Ram recently. The interior is awesome. No way around it. Hard to beat the hemi as well

Last edited:

Danger Dave

Sarcastically Optimistic 😁
Reaction score
My father told me to never discuss religion, politics, or who someone married with people I wanted to keep as friends. He also told me if I ever bought a Dodge or Chrysler product he'd disown me. He told me at High School Graduation if could float it, fuck it, or fly it, to rent it. Dude was a genius.

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
Buy the Toyota if you're going to keep it a long time. But you'll pay for that longevity because Toyotas are outdated in just about every way possible. Their technology from bumper to bumper ON VIRTUALLY ALL THEIR VEHICLES is so far behind every other make it isn't funny.

So if you want to keep it forever buy yourself a Toyota as long as you don't mind paying for it in terms of technology, pleasure, comfort, etc. Seriously, Toyotas are overrated but people buy them because they'll last longer than other vehicles (except Honda perhaps) but they're like buying a 10-year old model when brand new. Their display screens are as small as an old iPhone. They just started using Apple and Android Carplay. So far behind it isn't funny.

I'd rather buy American and enjoy every mile than look at resale value in 8-10 years. But that's just me 😁