WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Looking for our first RV

Icky

Reaction score
Ok I am kinda at the point my head is spinning.. lol

So I’m gonna back the criteria up to the basics.

Family of five
Sxs
Mini Sxs
Motorcycles / quads / fuel / generator / gear

Wants to go camping on the cheap.

Now to the more specifics

I bought a speed car and I bought the extended warranty.. what does that mean Dave??

When you buy that they setup several full on catered group rides you can attend at various locations.

Glamis, Moab, and many other spots. I want to hit some of these.

Stacy now has a team of eight agents.. when the kids get out of school realistically there is nothing holding us here. If it’s a motorhome (not a fifth wheel) we have a mobile office that she can work out of and we could literally go anywhere we want?

upside of a fifth wheel is I can buy one right now for like 20-30k that will fit my hauling needs..

Now this thread has turned to DP’s and Super Ac’s.. but I watch hammer and Johnny pull similar loads with their gassers??

so I’m wondering if we have crossed over into rdp land where it’s over the top or nothing.. lol
Did you check out that Isata 5 I posted a few million $ suggestions ago?

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Did you check out that Isata 5 I posted a few million $ suggestions ago?

I’ll go back and look. I looked at it last night but there was something about it that didn’tfit the criteria..

RCDave

Reaction score
Overloading and putting your family at risk is ALWAYS a bad idea.

warpt71

Lower River Lover
Reaction score
I have not read all through this thread but I did stumble across a motorhome that I thought would work for my family of 6! We have family in CA and road trips alone would be easy in the mh vs. our current Flex, soon to be Suburban. Then we also have a hotel on wheels and we can take our dogs and not have to burden family when we show up. Couple that with the fact that we could travel the US and see places we have never seen it makes sense. Im probably 5 years out from seriously looking but I like to look anyways.

My wife and I love the look of LazyDays and they make a 30'. I like the Thor's with the wood floor and the ones that are fixed up rentals seem like good deals (a little sketchy buying a rental I know!) Then I found Jayco Grayhawks, they have a bunkhouse model. Like you Dave, I dont want to make and remake sofas and dining room tables every night/morning.

This is on CL right now,

This in not the original one that caught my eyes, but the floor plan exists

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
1/2 of me is saying f it and just getting the fifth wheel for this season.. and learning the rest of it as we go..

I can get an older WW for 10-20k that will work.. or something freakin nice for 50..

69hondo

Reaction score
This could go on and on LOL.
All I can do is tell you my experience. I have an older Itasca 33 class A gasser that I pull a 24 foot enclosed and it does fine. I climb the cajon pass and baker grade which are the two steepest hills by me at 35-40 MPH with the trialer oh and the grade out of Needles but only the last half mile is that slow. Eventually we will move to DP but its not necessary.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
1/2 of me is saying f it and just getting the fifth wheel for this season.. and learning the rest of it as we go..

I can get an older WW for 10-20k that will work.. or something freakin nice for 50..
One of my apprentices just picked up a perfect WW FOR 6k. I wonder why I can’t ever find these deals

bagged97taco

Reaction score
how much is that? Motor etc?
I have this Moho currently . It’s huge inside with 4 slides. Has bunks that I (6ft tall) can and have slept in. It doesn’t not have an over head bed in front but dinette and couch make into beds. The couch is simple, unfold and blow up air matress with pump. Or don’t blow it up. I’ve slept on it both ways. Mine is a 2011 and wish it was a few years newer. Think 2013 has the 24k chassis and the 6 speed tranny behind the v10. With my 5 speed it hunts for gears a ton. I’m gonna put a 5 star tuner on it designed to help with tranny shift points. The v10 is a great motor. I have pulled my rzr xp4 on flat bed many miles and also pull my Cole 250. Steep grades it isn’t horrible but won’t win a race. Fuel economy sucks when empty or loaded. But if you own an rv and are concerned about mpg then you shouldn’t own any rv. In my opinion my 35’ gasser is too large for the gas motor but it does just fine. I had mine listed for sale, to upgrade to a Seneca or similar super c but the wife loves our rig and won’t let me upgrade just yet and waiting for the COVID buys to calm down.

boatnam2

Reaction score

RD you waited 40 years, another year wont kill you. I want one also but not bad enough to pay way over inflated prices.

Activated

Deplorable
Reaction score
I have not read all through this thread but I did stumble across a motorhome that I thought would work for my family of 6! We have family in CA and road trips alone would be easy in the mh vs. our current Flex, soon to be Suburban. Then we also have a hotel on wheels and we can take our dogs and not have to burden family when we show up. Couple that with the fact that we could travel the US and see places we have never seen it makes sense. Im probably 5 years out from seriously looking but I like to look anyways.

My wife and I love the look of LazyDays and they make a 30'. I like the Thor's with the wood floor and the ones that are fixed up rentals seem like good deals (a little sketchy buying a rental I know!) Then I found Jayco Grayhawks, they have a bunkhouse model. Like you Dave, I dont want to make and remake sofas and dining room tables every night/morning.

This is on CL right now,

This in not the original one that caught my eyes, but the floor plan exists
I

I have enjoyed learning about toy haulers/motor homes via these threads, I have learned a lot.

I am right handed...I am going to have to take ass wiping yoga lessons to own this rig.

Maybe sit side saddle? Lol

0FA5F36D-D4E7-4F55-8A4E-7BBA10F2280D.jpeg

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score

I would strongly suggest it Dave. I think you are over estimating the amount of time unloading and loading take once you get it all sorted out and know how to get it all done. When my brothers and I were all still living at home we could load and unload the toy hauler with all 5 of our dirt bikes, gear, tools, rack (keep the bikes off the walls that way) and have it completely set-up within about 30 minutes. And if it turns out to not be something that works for you guys, you can sell it and even if the market falls out you still aren't out all that much.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
theres several diesel shops in Havasu?

There are, ask them if they work on motorhomes, especially a pusher where you have to remove the bedroom for many repairs. Diesel repair is the easy part, you can go up to Kingman for that, and they are building a new repair location at the corner of the 95 and the 40. The issue is all of the other stuff, levelers, appliances, leaks, air lines, AC, electrical shorts, the list is endless. If you buy a older rv, or if you buy a new one, they are all crap, and require constant fixing of big things and annoying little things. Just got back from Powell in ours, its a 2017, and I have a list.

The only game in town is Canyon, great people, but they are swamped, just look at the long term RV parking on Acoma next time your drive by.

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
I can unload my toyhauler with a rzr, fuel, Honda genny, bbq, chairs, air compressor, mat, table, trash can. In about 20 min by myself. Loading takes about 30 by myself. I am full setup with level downs and drink in my hand in 30 min. That’s not even rushing.

Toyhauler makes sense when you have a lot of gear and people. 5 people in a motor is very crowded. You will be on top of each other all the time a 40ft fifth wheel. You won’t even know the kids are back there. Plus ever get a motorhome stuck in the sand? Well a lot hard to get out than a truck that’s for sure.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
There are, ask them if they work on motorhomes, especially a pusher where you have to remove the bedroom for many repairs. Diesel repair is the easy part, you can go up to Kingman for that, and they are building a new repair location at the corner of the 95 and the 40. The issue is all of the other stuff, levelers, appliances, leaks, air lines, AC, electrical shorts, the list is endless. If you buy a older rv, or if you buy a new one, they are all crap, and require constant fixing of big things and annoying little things. Just got back from Powell in ours, its a 2017, and I have a list.

The only game in town is Canyon, great people, but they are swamped, just look at the long term RV parking on Acoma next time your drive by.

I thought joe’s rv repair would be the one you were gonna say..lol

Singleton

Reaction score

if you find one the fits your stuff, I would go this route.
can sell next year and upgrade to an RV if you like the adventures.
Plus this gives you the RV system learning that is required before adding another engine and those issues.

each have pros and cons. Pick you poison.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Stacy and I are gonna sit down tonight and go over everything..

I am really thinking about this thing sitting on the side of my house during the summer and I’m not sure I want something 100+k doing that.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Your wife/kids cant piss, make you a sammich, or make you a cocktail while rolling down the road with a 5th wheel!!!

Or stop and make dinner etc.. there’s a ton of downsides to this program. The only upside is they are 1/5 the price

poncho

Reaction score
20200815_142135.jpg
I'll chime in here, a few months ago we took the plunge and grabbed a forest river FR3 30DS. FR3 is forest river's entry level brand. It is a 30' class A with a drop down bunk, a hide-a-bed couch, fold out dinette, and a king bed. They do have a floorplan that has bunks in the back as well.

The kicker with these is twofold for you, one they are the entry level brand of an entry level manufacturer, the quality isn't great. The pleather on the captains chairs is already peeling and I already had to replace the toilet flange. The other thing you will struggle with these is the towing capacity, rated for 5K from the factory. With my 16' flat bed and XX (probably total of about 3700) going from Mesa up to Payson some of the hills were 42 with the hazards on. Family friend has the one with the bunk beds with an X3 maxx in a 16' enclosed and he is usually in the mid-30's up a grade.

For what we were looking for, it is the perfect setup. We are not looking for any quality contests or towing anything massive right now, I will probably have this for ~10 years until the family outgrows it, then I will be looking to a used showhauler type setup.

View attachment 924782

View attachment 924783
You guy's kind of remind me of a couple I just sold a boat to. 👍

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score

That's the decision I would make in this environment...especially with a sweet new tow rig.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Or stop and make dinner etc.. there’s a ton of downsides to this program. The only upside is they are 1/5 the price

It is going to sit on the side of your house 95% of the time.. and 90% of that remaining 5% you are only going 20 miles from home.

Hell, drive home, make the damn sandwiches, and drive back to camp. :)

Spend 1/5 the $, take the savings and rent what you need a few times a year when you want to go to Moab, Glamis, or wherever.

You are gonna spend $100K and the thing is gonna be freaking destroyed by the sun in a handful of years.

wzuber

Reaction score
How's the R.V. share rental market there in havasu? If there are a couple m.h in the area similar to what you'd like to own, go check them out and rent them to see how well things work out for your family. It may work better than you think? Way cheaper than owning and no maintenance hassles to deal with.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
How's the R.V. share rental market there in havasu? If there are a couple m.h in the area similar to what you'd like to own, go check them out and rent them to see how well things work out for your family. It may work better than you think? Way cheaper than owning and no maintenance hassles to deal with.

it’s actually pretty good. We rented a 40’ Fleetwood discovery a couple times and it was very cool.

boatnam2

Reaction score
We use to roll in a small camper on a single cab ford 250, only luxury was a sliding window that let you get access to mom and a sip off dads beer. Rode thousands of miles on the bed above cab. Best trip ever 16 Years old 1000 mile ride to Idaho with only my girlfriend in the camper with me, layed more pipe than a union plumber!

fmo24

Reaction score
I think you guys got it all wrong. If the family is comfortable and the kids have their own space they will be all over road trips. It will not sit all summer as everyone will want to just go escape the heat. Long weekend in some elevation is agreat reset. Heading to the coast and Stacy having a place to work and kids out on the beach. It will get used. Your family is not as rigid or 9-5 as most I say find something you can comfortably travel with family and if needed get a beater to tow when desert toys are not needed

Revndave

Reaction score
how much is that? Motor etc?
Ford V10 about 19,400 miles 4 slides Brand new TOYO M154 tires. 7k generator. Come see it at space 39 at Pirates Den. Still have to use it for 2 weekends. 91,900.00 obo

wzuber

Reaction score
it’s actually pretty good. We rented a 40’ Fleetwood discovery a couple times and it was very cool.
well there you go, seek out several different sizes, models, power trains etc. and try a different one each time till you feel you really have your wish/want/needs list dialed and then buy the rental unit? lol ya know...... "make him an offer he can't refuse". lol

StevieHops

Reaction score
@RiverDave

Take a look at this Monaco. 500hp and an awesome coach. You could easily turn the walk in closet into shortened queen size bunk beds and have plenty of room for the kids and still have plenty of storage room.

You're into the bunks for maybe a grand and can pick this up for around 50k.

spectras only

Reaction score
Well, legally, you should be sitting strapped in your seats, not prepping dinner while motoring on the highway with your moho ;) .
Air brakes stop you like no other and you or your wife/kids going to fly through the front.

You are aware of already that any RV, whatever class you going to buy, is a money pit, parked the side of your house, and it will be used less than a boat, living in Havasu. If I were you, I'd look foe a Class C bunk model in the 30-31' range, they're reasonable when a few yrs old already. Never met a DP owner who hasn't spent $$$ for upkeep on their moho. ;) I can see to attraction for them when you do cross country living to see the USA or travel to see Canada.

Last edited:

wzuber

Reaction score
@RiverDave

Take a look at this Monaco. 500hp and an awesome coach. You could easily turn the walk in closet into shortened queen size bunk beds and have plenty of room for the kids and still have plenty of storage room.

that seems cheap enough to buy and set up as a rental unit too and write the whole deal off and have it for your 5 or 50 annual trips.

wzuber

Reaction score
Well, legally, you should be sitting strapped in your seats, not prepping dinner while motoring on the highway with your moho ;) .
Air brakes stop you like no other and you or your wife/kids going to fly through the front.
that's what bungee cords are for. lol

poncho

Reaction score
@RiverDave

In 2003 I had a Gulfstream 38 DP and this was the coach I envied at the campgrounds.

Revndave

Reaction score
Ford V10 about 19,400 miles 4 slides Brand new TOYO M154 tires. 7k generator. Come see it at space 39 at Pirates Den. Still have to use it for 2 weekends. 91,900.00 obo

40063641_2441444962533145_5355996016803840000_o.jpg
48356753_2693085857369053_1082658030077607936_o.jpg
17854892_1674650455879270_8520190647890516725_o.jpg
14671307_1416741885003463_3256760438836057275_n.jpg
14606367_1416741908336794_6486407352640288436_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

fmo24

Reaction score
One photo looks like Little Sisters in Palm Springs. They do a great job if it is

fmo24

Reaction score
This thread got me looking again,and a similar aged class b is priced about the same. WTF?
My opinion about coaches that age are electronics. Current day inverters, tv’s and cook tops. We went new for this reason. But we live in ours. Newer battery technology is also something to consider

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I am talking to all my friends and virtually all of them are pulling similar loads with v10’s. They say you aren’t gonna win any races, but they are similar to me.. sometimes towing the dirt toys, but most the time not?

For 100k which is about what I think this would sell for this thing is flat bad ass.. it checks all my boxes except the outside kitchen (which I like)

The rest is over the topbad Ass though. I can bring a cooler. :D.

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
I am talking to all my friends and virtually all of them are pulling similar loads with v10’s. They say you aren’t gonna win any races, but they are similar to me.. sometimes towing the dirt toys, but most the time not?

For 100k which is about what I think this would sell for this thing is flat bad ass.. it checks all my boxes except the outside kitchen (which I like)

Looks badass, is bath and a half a requirement for you?

If there are plans for a lot of dry camping, the bath and a half coaches *usually* have a system for the rear toilet that breaks down the waste to get it through a smaller line to get it to the main black tank (usually under the center toilet) and that system (I think it's called an emaciator or something like that) uses a lot of your fresh water and can fill up your black tank pretty quickly. We have family that has one and, whenever dry camping, they do not use the rear toilet.

DMF

Reaction score

The msrp is $176k and it's already discounted to $126k. You really think you will get down another $26k? If so, I will by one as well!!

wallnutz

Reaction score

Pick what you think will work for you guys. It will be your first one, you will know what you really need the next time. It took us four times between toy haulers and RV’s to get what we think is perfect for us.

DLC

Reaction score
@RiverDave
that is bad ass and be perfect for you! if you spend that type of cash you need a cover to park under or it’s going to get beat up by the summer sun & heat At least try to get it under a shade /carport To protect the exterior, they age really fast sitting outside