WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Looking for our first RV

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Hoping to spend around 50, but would go as High as 100’ish - 110 max for the right one..

The main things that we know we want is a bunk house model, and a bed above the cab. Looking at super C abd DP’s..

Never owned one before, and we know nothing about them. Like literally nothing, suspension, air brakes? Etc..

We will be towing a 24 enclosed trailer with a full sized sxs, a kids Sxs, quad, fuel generator etc.. potentially a 28-30 enclosed in the future.. so I am think thirty’ish feet maybe 35? Don’t think we want a 40 DP but wouldn’t rule one out if it was bad ass.. trying to avoid the it’s so bug you can’t use it pitfall.

what are your suggestions?

eand28

Reaction score
Buddy has a grand design that’s basically a house on wheels. Nice ass rv’s some of the best out there

Racer56

Jukebox Hero
Reaction score

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
Hoping to spend around 50, but would go as High as 100’ish - 110 max for the right one..

The main things that we know we want is a bunk house model, and a bed above the cab. Looking at super C abd DP’s..

Never owned one before, and we know nothing about them. Like literally nothing, suspension, air brakes? Etc..

We will be towing a 24 enclosed trailer with a full sized sxs, a kids Sxs, quad, fuel generator etc.. potentially a 28-30 enclosed in the future.. so I am think thirty’ish feet maybe 35? Don’t think we want a 40 DP but wouldn’t rule one out if it was bad ass.. trying to avoid the it’s so bug you can’t use it pitfall.

what are your suggestions?
my advise...if you go over 30' get a pusher...test drive a super c...you loose a lot of space to the truck front...

JB in so cal

Reaction score
Didn't you own a toy hauler? Sorry. Smart ass comments aren't needed here....

RCDave

Reaction score
With that kind of load, your gonna need a stout DP. 8.9l cummins, Allison 3000 trans, side radiator, quality chassis (spartan, powerglide, peak, etc)

fmo24

Reaction score
Friends have a Thor Aria I believe. 33 ft with a center door. Drop down bed in front and bunks. They flat tow an F150 with a golf cart.
Thor’s quality can be suspect but floor plan is something that may work for your family
Edit: it’s a Palazzo not the Aria line

Last edited:

seanroberts

Reaction score
Lots of things to consider. The super C's are great but you'll get a better turning radius with a dp. As long as you go diesel the pulling won't be an issue but you'll never win a race it's pulling the load. The DP will ride better and give you more room inside. The super C will give you more beds. I listed mine here just to see, it's the dp has the bunks and we added a trundle under the bunks so all 3 kids stay there and we keep the living room free, we also love the king bed in the back. I would also look at the AC and heat so you can handle what you need/want. Let me know if you have any questions. I've had regular c's, 5th wheels, class a gassers and the dp. I couldn't go back to a gasser.

Reactions: DWC

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Should have mentioned im
Pretty sure no matter what we do we are gonna want diesel

n2otoofast4u

Reaction score
You’re a few days late to a damn good deal that was on here.

Remember- EVERY RV is built in a factory, at 7am on Monday, or 4pm on Friday, and they reflect that! They are ALL junk! Find the one that someone spent the last 10 years fixing all the bullshit, and buy it!

River Runnin

Reaction score
DP Roller 1.jpg

40' plus 24" ;)

Mike K

Reaction score
I found out about a “10 year rule”
... there are tons of parks that won’t let any RV in that’s older than 10 years ... even if it’s in perfect shape. I kinda get the idea ... but that will get you to $70K real quick ... also ... look for the E450 chassis not the E350 ... mo better .

Jed-O

Shitter was full!
Reaction score
Two words RD "Toter Home" (basically a diesel pusher motor home with the toy hauler ass end) Fuckin badass and you can tow your boat behind it too!

JB in so cal

Reaction score
I found out about a “10 year rule”
... there are tons of parks that won’t let any RV in that’s older than 10 years ... even if it’s in perfect shape. I kinda get the idea ... but that will get you to $70K real quick ... also ... look for the E450 chassis not the E350 ... mo better .

Majority of parks don't stand by that. National parks, on the other hand tend to stand with overall length

One2go

Reaction score
So many variables,I've had gas and DP's. Gas motorhomes are built on chassis that use bobtail style suspension and brakes. Little squirrelly in wind and big loads. But if your not towing long distance then works ok. Was always exausted driving long distance in my class A gasser. Stressful Lol. Now have DP with frieghtliner chassis and 380 cummins,super easy to pull big trailers.Just depends on where you plan on going with it

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Something to think about with a pusher is the overhang/swing. Depending on where you dry camp, you may drag the tail, or bury the hitch. Pay attention to the hitch weight limitations on the coach, or have it built accordingly. When you buy anything, check date codes on tires...they all look great, but a blowout in BFE gets pricey. Also coach repair if a tire's lost. Brakes on anything airbraked take a little getting used to. The feeling is also magnified by sitting ahead of the axle.

Just my 2cents

Boat Potato

Reaction score
We just sold our Weekend warrior 5er and picked up this Jayco Seneca 36 fs super c. I was looking at samller bunkhouse pushers under 36', but compared to a super c, the living area is bigger and layed out better in the seneca we thought. 2008 only 23,000 miles. Picked it up for 80. We will also be pulling a 24' enclosed. It has plenty of power and rides nice, also has an exhaust brake. Gonna miss the 150 gallons of water the trailer held though, compared to the 81 this holds, but planning on adding a 50 gallon water tank to the trailer.
20200822_174635.jpg

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
Come down and look at mine.

EBT531

Reaction score
How often do you really think you'll use it? Unless its a LOT, you may be better off renting once you figure in maintenance, depreciation, plates/ins, storage etc. etc.. It always looks like renting is more expensive until you've owned for a couple of years and figure out what the true cost per trip was.

squeezer

Reaction score
Sold our 36’ U320 Foretravel last November... It wasn’t advertised, a couple of the Foretravel forum knew we had thought about selling and made us an offer. Fast forward to a Post Covid existence and we are kicking ourselves for letting it go. Started looking again and a 34’ U270 Foretravel popped up for sale locally. The U320 have the M11 Cummins, 450Hp/1450tq. The U270 has an ISC, 350/1050. Test drove the 270 a few day’s back and couldn’t imagine going to a coach with such a “Bad” horsepower to weight ratio... Keep in mind the U270 is probably better than the majority of coaches out there.

The moral of the story is go big or go slow. The absolute best bang for the buck is a high end no slide DP. I’m talking 7 figure coaches that sell for $100K or less.

Don’t buy the staple and cardboard crap with nice paint and good colors unless you want to go slow and watch it fall apart in real time.

I am partial to Foretravel for a few reasons, Foretravel, Beaver, Newel, Prevost, Wanderlodge, etc are what you want.

Buy your last coach first...

outboard_256

Reaction score
If going DP then expect atleast 37 feet. I tried to get under 37, but they have handling issues with the short wheel base and you end up putting counter weights, etc. Plus for used market makes them hard to find. When you get to 37 a lot more options open up and variety. I don't know if you are going to like the floor plans on the DP.

StevieHops

Reaction score
This might be a little to big for you but I’ve seen where they turn the walk in closet in to bunks for the kids.

We have a 40’ Monaco diplomat and love it, I do wish it had the big motor like this one but we only to an 18’ flat bed so it’s not to bad on the hills.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Sold our 36’ U320 Foretravel last November... It wasn’t advertised, a couple of the Foretravel forum knew we had thought about selling and made us an offer. Fast forward to a Post Covid existence and we are kicking ourselves for letting it go. Started looking again and a 34’ U270 Foretravel popped up for sale locally. The U320 have the M11 Cummins, 450Hp/1450tq. The U270 has an ISC, 350/1050. Test drove the 270 a few day’s back and couldn’t imagine going to a coach with such a “Bad” horsepower to weight ratio... Keep in mind the U270 is probably better than the majority of coaches out there.

The moral of the story is go big or go slow. The absolute best bang for the buck is a high end no slide DP. I’m talking 7 figure coaches that sell for $100K or less.

Don’t buy the staple and cardboard crap with nice paint and good colors unless you want to go slow and watch it fall apart in real time.

I am partial to Foretravel for a few reasons, Foretravel, Beaver, Newel, Prevost, Wanderlodge, etc are what you want.

Buy your last coach first...

got some examples of those?

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Ok so on the “must haves”

has to be a bunk house model. We rented a Fleetwood discovery and folding out the couch and having the kids bedding everywhere was a nightmare. I’d rather just have each one of them have their own little section for their bedding and their stuff.

gotta be a diesel

I am not opposed to a giant one.. but every single person I know says you will use them less than a smaller one..

outboard_256

Reaction score
Ok so on the “must haves”

has to be a bunk house model. We rented a Fleetwood discovery and folding out the couch and having the kids bedding everywhere was a nightmare. I’d rather just have each one of them have their own little section for their bedding and their stuff.

gotta be a diesel

I am not opposed to a giant one.. but every single person I know says you will use them less than a smaller one..

Everything sounds good except for the diesel part. They are made for a target audience that your not describing. And yes their are options but they are way out of your price range new. Good luck on your search but at $50-100k you are looking at used diesels with a rare floor plan. Open it to gas models and you might be able to find everything else.

BDMar

B & D Marine
Reaction score
I totally disagree with that. I've had a 24, 34, and now a 40. If I want to go camping, I'm going camping. Actually I would tend to go more often with the 40 than the others because it's so much more comfortable and less crowded inside.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
With 5 people you would want the biggest you can get. They don’t have a ton of room for a fam once set up and can get small quick. But they are great for traveling to your destination.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Two words RD "Toter Home" (basically a diesel pusher motor home with the toy hauler ass end) Fuckin badass and you can tow your boat behind it too!

Stscy doesn’t like them. I think they are bad ass.. if I can find an older one I’d consider it

HBCraig

Reaction score
RD

I have had a super C, class A, and a class C. When mt kids were your kids age I had a Class C ans it was great. Ford Winnebago with V10 that I cjioped and Banks exhaust. Was great.

Class A will give you a great amount if liveable space but the kids will have to sleep o. The dinette and sifa pullout.

Suoer C is fine only ans only if you can get the queen bed over the cab instead of the entertainment center.. don't settle.

Pulling shit..... I pulled my 24' Ultra everywhere along with my 20' trailer for the motorcycles

If you want to pull a sizeable boat you will need the A class or super C

just_floatin

Reaction score
I am thinking of listing my 2018 Jayco Envoy 200. Rides like a dream. Grandkids are now 5’8 and 6’0 and grew out the bunks. Here is the sales video.

Last edited:

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Here are two that popped up that Stacy sent me

That Senneca looks awesome! Sounds like it has some very nice upgrades already. Make sure whichever one you get though has a solid door between the bunks and the master bedroom.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I am thinking of listing my 2018 Jayco Envoy 200. Rides kill a dream. Grandkids are now 5’8 and 6’0 and grew out the bunks. Here is the sales video.

No door between the master abd the bunks? Or just not in the video?

will that pull the kind of weight I have? And what does something like that go for?

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
No door between the master abd the bunks? Or just not in the video?

will that pull the kind of weight I have? And what does something like that go for?
It has a door. The black think hanging on the right side of the hallway next to the girl's shoulder is the hold-back and at 1:56, the wood trim looking piece is actually the sliding door.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

Jefftowz

Formerly Old School Ultra
Reaction score

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
77 feet with the 28 Daytona in tow, roughly 8000 pounds of boat and fuel, she did pretty well on the way to Powell, held the cruise at 70 most of the way, big hills we got down to about 45.
C7456490-833A-4ACC-B39C-8388DFAAEB70.jpeg